collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette to change/update University Seal  (Read 21395 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Marquette to change/update University Seal
« Reply #300 on: March 01, 2022, 04:54:57 PM »
Brother Still:

The seal is a bit like a sacrament -- it's an outward side of the university. Maybe my wording was not as precise as it should be. My view is that who we are is a function of the values and the instruction we took away from our four years at Marquette. The philosophy, theology and approach to the world that we encounter in our professional studies.

The seal is a reflection of what we stand for. It's a flag of sorts. By removing Father Marquette from the seal, which we did, we are raising serious questions about our university's namesake. The signal you're sending is that in carrying out Jesus' command to go and teach all nations, Father Marquette did things that contraindicate the Catholic values for which we stand.

Why else would you change. Convince me there is NOT a cause and effect between a group of bizarre protestors who think our Church was an evil scourge on Native Americans and the changing of the seal.

In the meantime, I repeat my earlier question -- How long will it be before we change our name to Wisconsin Jesuit University? Oh, but that might offend someone who thinks the Catholic Church is evil and so we disavow any connection to Catholicism.

The seal is meaningless. The way we walk away from what we are is not.

Brother dgies,

Allow me to respectfully suggest that you may be too wrapped up with symbolism.
When the university starts abandoning its mission and values, then let the pearl-clutching commence. I may even join you.
But until you can provide me with some evidence that is occurring, I'll greet this change with the shrug it deserves.

And your suggestion that Marquette is going to change its name ... seems like the worst sort of slippery slope argument to me. Wasn't Logic a required course back in your day?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #301 on: March 01, 2022, 05:06:49 PM »
Smith  The error is teaching that that is what defines us a s a country when it truly does not.
I see, I see.

Guess that explains the massive number of books being banned as well.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #302 on: March 01, 2022, 06:42:11 PM »
The error is teaching that that is what defines us a s a country when it truly does not.

Good thing no high school, middle school or elementary school in the entire country teaches it.

Yes, something at least remotely close to what you might call CRT is taught as an elective at a few universities ... which surely will lead to the fall of White America.

I gotta hand it to y'all, though: You're very good at staying on point with stuff like pretend CRT teaching, the War on Xmas, cancel culture, rigged elections, etc -- no matter how misleading, dangerous or outright false the point is.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback