collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by BLWarrior91
[Today at 08:41:56 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Early 80s Bars  (Read 20870 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: Early 80s Bars
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 11:03:01 AM »
the secret entrance in the Newsroom Pub to the Safehouse is unique (gotta couple of buddies that have lifetime memberships)

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 11:09:53 AM »
Grunt's became Murphy's,  there was State Street Saloon (nickel tappers my freshman year) with O'Pagett's a block or two down the street (towards the freeway and police station). The Green Tree was up that way too ($3 happy hour from 7pm - 10pm I think).

State Street Saloon?  Do you mean the State House? I remember dime taps on one night and dollar pitchers another.

Anyone remember combat juice at OD's?  a little bit of just about every liquor in the place poured into a pitcher, topped off with some beer.  Not sure why I remember this, but $7 for the pitcher?  It was something we'd get and pass the pitcher around to those of us Lighthouse members.  Tasty beverage.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 12:50:10 PM »
State Street Saloon?  Do you mean the State House?

Yeah, that could have been it.  It was at 12th and State on the SW corner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 01:10:57 PM »
Tops: Snopek playing "First band on the moon" in the Grill and the "Grill" concert by Paul Cebar and the R&B Cadets played in front of Todd Wehr. Their opening notes and Robyn Pluer's chilling, thrilling voice greeted me as I walked west from Brooks.

Paul Cebar and the Milwaukeeans.  I forgot about them.  They were fun.  I remember seeing them at Summerfest and if I recall the same evening as the BoDeans.  I think I made a point to see them a few more times after that.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 02:01:16 PM »
... and how about the block parties? The centennial in 81 was the best, if I recall correctly Wisconsin Ave. was closed off for it.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 04:21:16 PM »
Anyone remember combat juice at OD's?  a little bit of just about every liquor in the place poured into a pitcher, topped off with some beer.  Not sure why I remember this, but $7 for the pitcher?  It was something we'd get and pass the pitcher around to those of us Lighthouse members.  Tasty beverage.

Combat juice!!  Tasted like fruit punch but packed a wallop.  We made the person who drank the last sip prior to the person finishing the pitcher buy the next pitcher (so if there's a finishable amount in it, you better finish it or the next guy will, then you gotta buy the next one).
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 07:32:20 PM »
Paul Cebar and the Milwaukeeans.  I forgot about them.  They were fun.  I remember seeing them at Summerfest and if I recall the same evening as the BoDeans.  I think I made a point to see them a few more times after that.

Great band.  I tried to book them for my wedding.  Just a tad too expensive as I recall.

As I've indicated before, I never thought the Femmes would amount to anything  ?-(.  One of many great bands to play downstairs at 3 p. 

It really was a fantastic way to start the weekend.  I have long wished MU would bring regularly scheduled live music back.  I learned a ton doing it during my years at the helm and I am eternally grateful for so many vivid memories.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2012, 07:34:51 PM »
Combat juice!!  Tasted like fruit punch but packed a wallop.  We made the person who drank the last sip prior to the person finishing the pitcher buy the next pitcher (so if there's a finishable amount in it, you better finish it or the next guy will, then you gotta buy the next one).

Killer stuff.  No way I could handle alcohol like that any more!

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 07:37:09 PM »
I would've cleaned up in the 80's, can rock the parachute pants like nobody else.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2012, 11:27:15 PM »
Midget Tavern (24th & Wells).

Harp & Shamrock (21st & Wells).

We felt so grown up not going to the bars right on-campus. We definitely did not act like grown-ups very often, however.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 07:47:51 AM »
jsglow once played a game with his buds where one person would name a north-south street, and another would name an east-west street, and they would all go and have a beer at whatever tavern was at that corner (and it being Milwaukee, there was ALWAYS a tavern on the corner).

Naming the first street was easy.  The cross street was the dare - it determined the neighborhood.  Apparently they wound up in some pretty interesting bars.
Have some patience, FFS.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2012, 10:54:01 AM »
I know this is the 80s bar thread, but my favorite bar was Calahans. It was located just around the corner from the Wehr Life Science building on Clybourn. As a Chemistry/Biology double major in the 60s spent many evenings there after a long lab session.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2012, 12:24:30 PM »
I know this is the 80s bar thread, but my favorite bar was Calahans. It was located just around the corner from the Wehr Life Science building on Clybourn. As a Chemistry/Biology double major in the 60s spent many evenings there after a long lab session.

Wow.  Now Dean Callahan heads up Nursing less than 100 yards away.  Coincidence?  I think not!

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2012, 09:44:24 PM »
Bernie and Melbas - right across the street from O'Pagets if you had the stones to go in.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2012, 09:57:38 AM »
Ok guys, I need your assistance. Warriorchick and I met in the winter of 1984 at Thoma's. If memory serves, it was on the south side of Wells about 20th. That fateful night a group of friends went up to watch some buddies in a new band.  Great name... Entering Chelmsford. (Some years later we actually visited the Massachusetts town.)

Spelling corrected. :-)

Thoma's was closed to build a parking lot for the CAPS station across the street - allegedly.  Their last night was a internal riot.   Closed in '94 or late '93.

Bryant's did close for a brief nine month period or so a couple years back.

Bryant's is a little different since re-opening.  There aren't the blue-haired old waitresses anymore.  Now blue-haired young waitresses.  They still make some pretty amazing drinks - which is the important part.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2012, 02:37:42 PM »

Bryant's is a little different since re-opening.  There aren't the blue-haired old waitresses anymore.  Now blue-haired young waitresses.  They still make some pretty amazing drinks - which is the important part.

Visited Bryants within the last year...loved the bartender....doughy Gen-Y guy with unkempt, shoulder-length hair, and a total mixology geek.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2012, 07:37:25 PM »
Oh ... when I saw the subject I thought it said Early 80s Bears and I expected it to be a conversation about Vince Evans.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson