[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129182 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #1725 on: March 18, 2020, 08:38:27 PM »
Good lord.  A solution, looking for a problem.  Seriously, how long has she been saving this list for the chance to use it?

Exactly. Where is any problem? I heard the whole thing is a "hoax".

I forget who it was that said that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1726 on: March 18, 2020, 08:48:17 PM »
This reminds me .. MKE county closed golf and frisbee golf courses.    That seems over the top.   You can easily maintain 6 feet, not to mention 60.

I live in a golf community in Florida. Our clubhouse (restaurant and bar) is closed. Our fitness center is closed. Outdoor fitness classes continue, golf course is open to members only, no guests. No rakes in bunkers, no pulling of the pin. Used to be 2 carts per 4some, now all 4 players are allowed to take separate golf carts. Pickleball and tennis courts are open. Very fluid, any of this could change.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1727 on: March 18, 2020, 08:57:47 PM »
Good lord.  A solution, looking for a problem.  Seriously, how long has she been saving this list for the chance to use it?

I wonder how you might have responded if this were Ted Cruz's plan.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1728 on: March 18, 2020, 09:09:58 PM »

It's definitely a problem, and while there are some over-the-top points there, several are quite reasonable.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1729 on: March 18, 2020, 09:26:42 PM »
It's definitely a problem, and while there are some over-the-top points there, several are quite reasonable.

Which would you like to see adopted and which do you feel are over the top?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1730 on: March 18, 2020, 10:14:52 PM »
MMAC sent a memo out today on this in conjunction with MCW. Biggest takeaway was that they don't expect it to peak in WI until late May.

Would that be good news? I thought the idea of flattening the curve was so we didn’t get the big spike in the next week or two. If the peak is May, I’m guessing we did a good job flattening the curve.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1731 on: March 18, 2020, 10:21:42 PM »
Would that be good news? I thought the idea of flattening the curve was so we didn’t get the big spike in the next week or two. If the peak is May, I’m guessing we did a good job flattening the curve.

For sure. But if all these measures go another 2+ months people* are gonna lose their minds.

*Me.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1732 on: March 18, 2020, 10:36:03 PM »
Serious question. If someone is dying in a hospital bed, and not tested, what is the medicinal regimen they are given? Assume its COVID and treat as such?  Who should be tested with the first 1 million tests available?

They absolutely must be tested. I'm talking about people that came in with flu-like illnesses several days ago. Tested negative for the flu, and other respiratory illnesses, then only days later after they are dying or dead, are they tested.

That is a weak or more that their contacts have been spreading this. What if it was a person from a nursing home, instead of disinfecting the place, and quarantining them to their rooms they now spread it through the entire place and many will die.

It is for the purpose of back-tracing patients that you have to test them.

Testing an asymptomatic person, who has been in known contact with a positive case is pointless. Tell them to quarantine regardless, trace contacts regardless.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1733 on: March 18, 2020, 10:45:41 PM »
Which would you like to see adopted and which do you feel are over the top?

1, 6 and 7.
And while 4 goes too far, I would prohibit executive bonuses funded by bailout money.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1734 on: March 18, 2020, 10:59:56 PM »
They were barely symptomatic, but got tests. NBA players getting tests.

Others dying in hospital beds, waiting to be tested.

Meanwhile, everyone working at home, but low-income wage earners having to show up in person and deal with countless interactions with people.

Anyone else seeing the income disparity and privilege being put on display here.

"Perhaps that's been the story of life"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1735 on: March 18, 2020, 11:09:36 PM »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1736 on: March 18, 2020, 11:29:11 PM »
NY is a ground zero.  Dem on Dem dissent.  No talk here but in 5 days from now it is a human catastrophe for the elderly. Leaders would have locked this down three weeks ago.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #1737 on: March 18, 2020, 11:32:35 PM »
Hydroxychloroquine

That be the solution
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #1738 on: March 18, 2020, 11:39:01 PM »
I'm suggesting that 75k tests is inadequate.  I'm also suggesting those 75k tests should already be processed, and 150k more should already be shipped to providers.

And maybe you should up your knowledge from CNN...lol...that was a good line WD.
https://www.modernhealthcare.com/politics-policy/covid-19-testing-delays-shine-light-lab-developed-test-regulation-debate

Some of you have very low expectations for the greatest country in the world...

On January 14th, WHO said there was no evidence of human to human transmission.  It was not until January 20th when they changed this.

https://twitter.com/who/status/1217043229427761152?lang=en

I have realistic expectations based on time and the legal requirements in this country tied to medical testing.  We can all be frustrated by testing not coming online fast enough, but my belief is if flawed tests were deployed or rushed opinions would be unchanged.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1739 on: March 19, 2020, 12:24:14 AM »
On January 14th, WHO said there was no evidence of human to human transmission.  It was not until January 20th when they changed this.

I have realistic expectations based on time and the legal requirements in this country tied to medical testing.  We can all be frustrated by testing not coming online fast enough, but my belief is if flawed tests were deployed or rushed opinions would be unchanged.

On Jan. 14th, I believe there were a total of 20-30 cases in China. There wasn't enough data yet to verify person-person transmission (which has a very specific meaning).

The test used by the WHO, was developed by the leading research lab in viral genetics. It had a 100% accuracy. In all honesty, it may be a better designed, and more accurate test than the one we are currently using.

We were the ones that developed and deployed a flawed test, that had to be corrected due to problems with reagents.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1740 on: March 19, 2020, 12:27:36 AM »

I think I pointed this out way back, but the appointed director of WHO, dr tedros adhanom, has a history of covering up epidemics in his own country.  Ya think this would have been kind of a disqualifier for the position, no?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/13/health/candidate-who-director-general-ethiopia-cholera-outbreaks.html

don't...don't don't don't don't

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1741 on: March 19, 2020, 12:50:00 AM »
She has had this list for over ten years, sourced by her own experience.

As you may recall to the 2008-9 crisis, while she was still a Harvard law professor, and with Sen Harry Reid's (D-Nev) support, Liz Warren was named to investigate the TARP bailout of the banks. Many of the points here parallel the abuses she found with TARP funds use/abuses in the trillion$ bailout.

Few points  were implemented, however, as the Banks had an aggressive ally in Obama's newly minted treasury secy Tim Geitner, formerly of the NY Fed Reserve, who cut off further investigations and enforcement of almost all of these points. 

Today, the question will be, once again, whether there is either the legislative will to impose these conditions on govt bailout monies, or the subsequent dedication by the executive branch, including treasury dept, to implement or enforce any of them.

One can see the historical logic here, but like many initiatives, such is very subject to political/lobbying will
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #1742 on: March 19, 2020, 04:13:45 AM »
She has had this list for over ten years, sourced by her own experience.

As you may recall to the 2008-9 crisis, while she was still a Harvard law professor, and with Sen Harry Reid's (D-Nev) support, Liz Warren was named to investigate the TARP bailout of the banks. Many of the points here parallel the abuses she found with TARP funds use/abuses in the trillion$ bailout.

Few points  were implemented, however, as the Banks had an aggressive ally in Obama's newly minted treasury secy Tim Geitner, formerly of the NY Fed Reserve, who cut off further investigations and enforcement of almost all of these points. 

Today, the question will be, once again, whether there is either the legislative will to impose these conditions on govt bailout monies, or the subsequent dedication by the executive branch, including treasury dept, to implement or enforce any of them.

One can see the historical logic here, but like many initiatives, such is very subject to political/lobbying will

Thanks for this thoughtful answer.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1743 on: March 19, 2020, 07:08:35 AM »
This crap is infuriating:

https://twitter.com/AugieLindmark/status/1240405791821254657?s=19
The tweet:
But multiple patients of mine can’t leave the hospital because they’re awaiting prior auths from commercial insurers.

Insurance companies are clogging up the system in the middle of a damn pandemic.

Although the insurance is holding up the process, technically the hospital is too. Just treat the patient and fight with the insurance company later.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1744 on: March 19, 2020, 07:19:44 AM »
Hydroxychloroquine

That be the solution

It has been mentioned as a possible treatment for at least a month.  How much do we have, is it safe, and when can we get it to people who need it?

Alongside others, I doubt it is a magic bullet, but we can be hopeful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1745 on: March 19, 2020, 07:29:06 AM »
It has been mentioned as a possible treatment for at least a month.  How much do we have, is it safe, and when can we get it to people who need it?

Alongside others, I doubt it is a magic bullet, but we can be hopeful.

Safety is always a factor, but like any drug, is it safe specifically for that patient?  The drug itself has been around a long time, since WWII I believe. Used to treat a variety of things, but initially came out to treat malaria.  Since then they’ve been trying it on certain forms of lupus, arthritis and a few other maladies  I believe the South Koreans were using it with some effectiveness on the virus du jour
don't...don't don't don't don't

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1746 on: March 19, 2020, 07:36:43 AM »
1, 6 and 7.
And while 4 goes too far, I would prohibit executive bonuses funded by bailout money.

Thanks.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1747 on: March 19, 2020, 07:39:13 AM »
Safety is always a factor, but like any drug, is it safe specifically for that patient?  The drug itself has been around a long time, since WWII I believe. Used to treat a variety of things, but initially came out to treat malaria.  Since then they’ve been trying it on certain forms of lupus, arthritis and a few other maladies  I believe the South Koreans were using it with some effectiveness on the virus du jour

This is the thing that a lot of people don't understand, and I'm glad you brought it up.  People react differently to different drugs.  I think being an anesthesiologist is very scary work for this exact reason.   There are general guidelines, but its more cooking than baking... if that analogy makes sense.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1748 on: March 19, 2020, 07:40:01 AM »
Coronavirus timeline:
- January 19: 100 cases
- January 24: 1,000 cases
- January 28: 5,000 cases
- February 12: 50,000 cases
- March 6: 100,000 cases
- March 14: 150,000 cases
- March 18: 200,000 cases
- March 19: 225,000 cases

America is about to realize what exponential growth is.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #1749 on: March 19, 2020, 07:58:23 AM »
I had some family and friends think I was crazy for flying back to China last week rather than flying back to America.  Saw this coming a mile away.  The lack of preparation, precaution, and action in America is appalling.  These "leaders" need to start making some unpopular decisions NOW before it's too late.  Stay safe everyone!