[Today at 10:46:03 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Viper
[Today at 10:44:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Most Disappointing MU players since 2000.  (Read 17624 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Most Disappointing MU players since 2000.
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2019, 11:02:00 AM »
Here's my list:

PG: Reggie Smith Smith was a high 3-star, but left unexpectedly despite getting starts as a freshman and never caught on anywhere else. Just edges out Traci Carter, who at least was able to earn D1 minutes.

SG: Jamal Ferguson He was a top-100, 4-star player when he committed. By the time he got to campus, he had dropped to a 2-star who we apparently offered too early, and by the next year he was gone. He tried to reboot at NC Central, but even there couldn't earn many minutes.

SF: Jamail Jones Top-100 recruit who, on paper, looked ideal. He could shoot, dunk, and had great length. And yet on the court, he never really did anything. He was okay at FGCU, but a disaster here.

PF: Erik Williams Top-100 recruit whose most significant role was getting thrown out there for a few token minutes so Jae Crowder didn't get an early foul. Was bad here and not much better at Sam Houston State. Wildly overrated.

C: Harry Froling Definitely felt like we were sold a bill of goods. Listening to the staff and Jay Bilas, he sounded like a physical guy who could rebound, shoot the three, and basically replace Henry Ellenson. Instead he didn't look like he belonged on the floor and was gone by the year's end. It's not all bad, though, he's still an entertaining Twitter follow.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2019, 11:10:46 AM »
Here's my list:

PG: Reggie Smith Smith was a high 3-star, but left unexpectedly despite getting starts as a freshman and never caught on anywhere else. Just edges out Traci Carter, who at least was able to earn D1 minutes

Smith transferred to Eastern Illinois and averaged 13.1 points and 3.3 assists a game as a junior.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/reggie-smith-2.html
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2019, 11:25:01 AM »
Here's my list:

PG: Reggie Smith Smith was a high 3-star, but left unexpectedly despite getting starts as a freshman and never caught on anywhere else. Just edges out Traci Carter, who at least was able to earn D1 minutes.

SG: Jamal Ferguson He was a top-100, 4-star player when he committed. By the time he got to campus, he had dropped to a 2-star who we apparently offered too early, and by the next year he was gone. He tried to reboot at NC Central, but even there couldn't earn many minutes.

SF: Jamail Jones Top-100 recruit who, on paper, looked ideal. He could shoot, dunk, and had great length. And yet on the court, he never really did anything. He was okay at FGCU, but a disaster here.

PF: Erik Williams Top-100 recruit whose most significant role was getting thrown out there for a few token minutes so Jae Crowder didn't get an early foul. Was bad here and not much better at Sam Houston State. Wildly overrated.

C: Harry Froling Definitely felt like we were sold a bill of goods. Listening to the staff and Jay Bilas, he sounded like a physical guy who could rebound, shoot the three, and basically replace Henry Ellenson. Instead he didn't look like he belonged on the floor and was gone by the year's end. It's not all bad, though, he's still an entertaining Twitter follow.

Didn't realize Ferguson was that highly rated when he committed. I only remember him being lowly rated coming in
Maigh Eo for Sam

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2019, 01:39:09 PM »

I enjoyed all of the articles this spring/summer about Froling's NBA chances.  He apparently worked out for 16 NBA teams, none of them bit, but (supposedly) that's just because teams are waiting a year until he's out from under his NBL contract.  Basically, every article still reads like he's the second coming of Bogut, but those darn college coaches just wouldn't let him play his game and use his superior basketball IQ...

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2019, 01:47:14 PM »
I enjoyed all of the articles this spring/summer about Froling's NBA chances.  He apparently worked out for 16 NBA teams, none of them bit, but (supposedly) that's just because teams are waiting a year until he's out from under his NBL contract.  Basically, every article still reads like he's the second coming of Bogut, but those darn college coaches just wouldn't let him play his game and use his superior basketball IQ...

Which is the entire basis of my disappointment.  This wasn't a college freshman who flamed out.  That happens all the time.

This was a guy who was a transfer from another D1 program who was hyped up big time.  Not only could the dude not really play, but he was basically a pud that everyone wanted out of the program.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2019, 01:51:47 PM »

Which is the entire basis of my disappointment.  This wasn't a college freshman who flamed out.  That happens all the time.

This was a guy who was a transfer from another D1 program who was hyped up big time.  Not only could the dude not really play, but he was basically a pud that everyone wanted out of the program.

When you say this, do just mean posters here, or were there people within the program that wanted him gone as well, because he seemed like a decent teammate, he just didn't have the skillset necessary.

• All American
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2019, 01:53:56 PM »
When you say this, do just mean posters here, or were there people within the program that wanted him gone as well, because he seemed like a decent teammate, he just didn't have the skillset necessary.

A number of players and coaches were tired of his lack of effort and attitude.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2019, 01:55:33 PM »
A number of players and coaches were tired of his lack of effort and attitude.

Really? I don't remember any stories about that.  I do remember comments about how he used his year off to drop a lot of his baby fat, and actually get into shape.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2019, 01:58:01 PM »
Let's just say Harry's view of himself was a little... inflated. Had heard stopped going to class because he was leaving anyway, and was told by the staff to get his sh*t together or be launched during the season.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2019, 02:03:22 PM »
Let's just say Harry's view of himself was a little... inflated. Had heard stopped going to class because he was leaving anyway, and was told by the staff to get his sh*t together or be launched during the season.

I knew that the endgame in his eyes was to get paid, I just assumed he figured out that he'd never make the NBA and wanted to start making Aussie money earlier.  If he really started ditching class then it was probably best for all parties to move on.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2019, 02:16:25 PM »
Here's my list:

Interesting take, brewski. That's 4 Buzz recruits, including 3 top-100s. I still think Buzz was a very good coach at MU. Stuff happens.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2019, 02:20:04 PM »
Interesting take, brewski. That's 4 Buzz recruits, including 3 top-100s. I still think Buzz was a very good coach at MU. Stuff happens.

Off the floor that list was a disappointment too.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2019, 02:20:18 PM »
Buzz did a great job of getting Jucos and other transfers.  That was his legacy at MU.

• All American
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2019, 02:24:19 PM »
Buzz fell in love with an archetype that didn't always pan out. Especially at the high school level.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2019, 02:25:11 PM »
Buzz did a great job of getting Jucos and other transfers.  That was his legacy at MU.

And those count, for sure, just as transfers do.

I don't like it when some say Wojo is only a "mediocre" recruiter but don't count Rowsey, Reinhardt, Carlino, etc. That's 3 good players, in addition to the HS recruits he signed.

Same with Buzz. He built a team his way, and did so using the rules that the school allowed at the time. Mostly very fond memories of his time at MU and the players he brought in.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2019, 02:36:48 PM »
And those count, for sure, just as transfers do.

I don't like it when some say Wojo is only a "mediocre" recruiter but don't count Rowsey, Reinhardt, Carlino, etc. That's 3 good players, in addition to the HS recruits he signed.

Same with Buzz. He built a team his way, and did so using the rules that the school allowed at the time. Mostly very fond memories of his time at MU and the players he brought in.
Guess I should have been clearer in distinguishing between HS recruits and transfer of varying kinds.  Both work, just noting that Buzz earned his chops here via the transfer route.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2019, 02:48:53 PM »
Buzz has the biggest disappointments. And the best teams/most success. Speaks volumes.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2019, 04:27:27 PM »

I don't think Buzz was a good high school recruiter at all. He focused too much on effort guys, which didn't work when the talent didn't match the effort. He's grown in that regard, which was seen in his last couple classes here (Burton/Duane/JJ & Hill/Shayok/Cohen) but he missed more often than not early on, even on top-100s.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2019, 09:49:09 PM »
In my book there is no such thing as a disappointing player. All these kids work their a&*sses off to be the best they can be. I am 100 percent for the players.

I reserve my grievances for the coaches. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2019, 10:32:10 PM »
In my book there is no such thing as a disappointing player. All these kids work their a&*sses off to be the best they can be. I am 100 percent for the players.

So coaches don't work their a&*sses off to be the best they can be? Or are they just not deserving of the same respect?
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2019, 11:26:24 PM »
So coaches don't work their a&*sses off to be the best they can be? Or are they just not deserving of the same respect?
The coaches are not deserving of the same respect. The coach has complete dominion over the player . So the relationship is not one of perfect symmetry. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2019, 11:39:46 PM »

Yeah, no. Dameon Mason was a perfect example of that.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2019, 07:01:43 AM »
The coaches are not deserving of the same respect. The coach has complete dominion over the player . So the relationship is not one of perfect symmetry.

What does that have to do with anything? Because the players have a boss they deserve respect but because the coaches have a different boss they don't deserve respect?
TAMU

muguru

• All American
« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2019, 07:21:57 AM »

Which makes my point exactly...people get so excited about "top 100" recruits...even if they are ranked 89 or 94...You have to be careful with those types of guys. The higher up the rankings you go, the LESS chance(though never guaranteed) of being a bust.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2019, 08:04:04 AM »
What does that have to do with anything? Because the players have a boss they deserve respect but because the coaches have a different boss they don't deserve respect?

I don't think Herman means they don't deserve respect, only that given their age, experience, control and compensation they are subject to scrutiny and criticism that (in his opinion) players aren't. Agree or disagree, it's not unreasonable.