'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Damion Lee gives his finalists .... MU is one of them  (Read 122376 times)

Earl Tatum

• All American
Re: Damion Lee gives his finalists .... MU is one of them
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2015, 12:37:07 PM »
I know this is about Damion Lee BUT, found on Espn transfer list--Deandre Burnett, a scoring guard, who played for Miami, Fla.
last year. Averaged 7 pts. per game and 2 boards per game. Missed freshman season due to injury. Is 6-2- 191 and Marquette,
is one of four teams he mentioned. Others are USC, Ole Miss forgot other one. Not sure about when he graduates.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2015, 12:39:58 PM »
Other teams are South Florida and LaSalle. Sounds like he was Redshirt FR last season.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2015, 01:04:46 PM »
You've gone down....I like it.  It was 99% about two months ago.   :)    I still think he is a 2 year player, but that's before I've seen him play against great competition.  It was hard for me to judge how good he is going against the 5'10" 6'5" in high school that he clearly dominated. 

I actually have no idea but I know that many people on this site respect Draft Express and some have name dropped Draft Express in the past  ;) .  They have him as the 5th pick.  How many projected Top 5 return? 

I just happen to think its foolish to assume he's here for year 2, that's not placing high expectations on him but rather preparing for what appears to be inevitable if everything stays on course.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2015, 01:06:40 PM »
You've gone down....I like it.  It was 99% about two months ago.   :)    I still think he is a 2 year player, but that's before I've seen him play against great competition.  It was hard for me to judge how good he is going against the 5'10" 6'5" in high school that he clearly dominated. 
I do not think he is a one and done. While he is athletic for a 6'10' high school player that advantage is virtually gone in the NBA. I will make my assessment based on whether he can play defense next year. Right now I have my doubts about him being able to defend an NBA player. He needs college to develop on the defensive end.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2015, 01:19:50 PM »

Fyi, Draft Express has Ellenson as the #5 pick already.

Wally will be graduating next year as well. Sit in class or make a pro rated $3 mill per year and fulfill a dream. Let's enjoy "HENBA" while we have him.

Wally has two years of eligibility, not one. I would not be surprised to see Henry stay two years.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2015, 01:21:57 PM »
Wally has two years of eligibility, not one. I would not be surprised to see Henry stay two years.

This.

I'm not saying he can't be a 1 and done, but unless he's a top 5 guarantee, I could see him coming back.

A lot of $ on the line, but it's a bit of a unique situation because of his family/location.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2015, 01:26:26 PM »
Other teams are South Florida and LaSalle. Sounds like he was Redshirt FR last season.

He was a freshman RS.  He'll have two years left to play after sitting out another year next year as a transfer.

From the Palm Beach Post:

"Burnett, 20, was instant offense off the bench last season, averaging 7 points and 2 rebounds in 17.4 minutes. He missed four games in November after spraining the MCL in his knee, but defensive issues and a disagreement with the coaching staff on his role put him on the bench more often than not during conference play. Burnett averaged 10.2 minutes in UM’s 18 ACC games, with ‘DNP’ in six.

Burnett, a Parade All-American in 2012 at Miami-Carol City High, arrived on campus after a postgraduate year at Massanutten (Va.) Military Academy. After suffering a wrist injury in an exhibition game his freshman year, he redshirted."

I'm thinking that MU can do better playing the guys we already have.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2015, 01:28:22 PM »
1: Mitola (potential grad transfer from Dartmouth), Carter
2: Duane, JjJ, Cheatham
3: Lee, Sandy, Sacar
4: Henry, Wally
5: Luke, Heldt

Sorry. Just wanted to rosterbate for a second.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2015, 01:45:09 PM »
Article on Mitola, and he sounds exactly like what we need... "potent long-range shooting, superior ballhandling and clutch play."
http://ivyhoopsonline.com/2015/04/07/alex-mitola-to-become-graduate-transfer-play-final-season-elsewhere/
Interesting quote from his coach though, he declined the opportunity to take the high road.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2015, 01:47:09 PM »
I actually have no idea but I know that many people on this site respect Draft Express and some have name dropped Draft Express in the past  ;) .  They have him as the 5th pick.  How many projected Top 5 return? 

I just happen to think its foolish to assume he's here for year 2, that's not placing high expectations on him but rather preparing for what appears to be inevitable if everything stays on course.

I couldn't find the draft express mock from this time last year but I did find this 1...needless to say some hits and some big misses when you try to project this far out.....http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/6/28/4469180/nba-mock-draft-2014-andrew-wiggins

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2015, 01:48:21 PM »

Unless he keeps progressing in the high jump and makes the Olympic or World Championship team.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2015, 01:54:14 PM »

Do that too much and you'll go blind, hey?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2015, 02:10:45 PM »
And then there's that tape thingy.

Thanks ... I was waiting for someone to bring this up.

Yes, this is why pro scouts, as a group, are terrible and teams are trying to "money-ball" them out of business.  Scouts are underpaid and lazy and, as you suggest, are going to offer opinions on players to draft based on some Youtube videos or watching part of a game on TV.  That is why pro scouts are over-rated

A scout is supposed to go to the game and watch the player, watch what he does on the bench, during time-outs and what he does without the ball (which you cannot see on tv).  Then after the game, they chit-chat with the player in the hall next to the locker room.  Scouts are supposed to go to several games, not spend a day to fly across the country for one game.

Again, Lee is not a draft prospect.  If he was, he'd go this year.  Do not assume he will start next year as a prospect.  He has to play himself into that position.  He's not listed on Draft Express for 2016.

As noted above, Draft express has Henry at #5 (lottery pick).  Stone at #7 (also a lottery pick).  Tarczewski of AZ is a second round prospect, Sabonis at Gonzaga is a mid first round prospect. Louisville has no draft prospects next year (for now).

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/list/

National sports reporters go to BE games because they are based in the cities the BE plays in.  This is how Lee gets attention to get drafted.  Get some good national press and play with a lottery pick that drags scouts/GM/national reporters in to watch MU.  And play where it is easy for scouts (and GMs) come see you in person.  

MU and Maryland best fit these criteria best.  And to put it bluntly, Lee alone is not good enough to put a scout on a plane to the desert.  Paring him with Tarczewski at AZ does not help.  Scouts and GMs will go to the Garden and Pru center in NJ to see lottery pick prospect Henry and Lee can be on the floor with him.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:33:30 PM by Lee Heisenberg »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2015, 02:21:44 PM »
I couldn't find the draft express mock from this time last year but I did find this 1...needless to say some hits and some big misses when you try to project this far out.....http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/6/28/4469180/nba-mock-draft-2014-andrew-wiggins

Exactly why 2016 mock drafts are worthless right now.  Andrew Harrison was projected 6th before playing a second of college ball.  Two years later, he's now projected mid 2nd round to undrafted.  Does Wojo need to prepare for the possibility that HE is one and done?  Yes.  Add some grad transfers like Damion Lee or Shonn Miller to go as far as you can next year.  Have a contingency plan for the following year if HE is one and done.  But for fans to say "HE is projected 5th so he will be one and done" is jumping the gun a bit.  If HE is still projected 5th at this time next year, then we can all brace for his departure.  But let's try not to get ahead of ourselves.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2015, 02:23:17 PM »
Thanks ... I was waiting for someone to bring this up.

Yes, this is why pro scouts, as a group, are terrible and teams are trying to go "money-ball" them out of business.  Scouts are underpaid and lazy and so, as you suggest, they are going to offer opinions on players to draft based on some Youtube videos or watching part of a game on TV.  That is why pro scouts are over-rated

A scout is supposed to go to the game and watch the player, watch what he does on the bench, during time-outs and what he does without the ball (which you cannot see on tv).  Then after the game, they chit-chat with the player in the hall next to the locker room.  Scouts are supposed to go to several games, not spend a day to fly across the country for one game.

Again, Lee is not a draft prospect.  If he was, he'd go this year.  Do not assume he will start next year as a prospect.  He has to play himself into that position.  He's not listed on Draft Express for 2016.

As noted above, Draft express has Henry at #5 (lottery pick).  Stone at #7 (also a lottery pick).  Tarczewski of AZ is a second round prospect, Sabonis at Gonzaga is a mid first round prospect. Louisville has no draft prospects next year (for now).

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/list/

National sports reporters go to BE games because they are based in the cities the BE plays in.  This is how Lee gets attention to get drafted.  Get some good national press and play with a lottery pick that drags scouts/GM/national reporters in to watch MU.  And play where it is easy for scouts (and GMs) come see you in person.  

MU and Maryland best fit these criteria best.  And to put it bluntly, Lee alone is not good enough to put a scout on a plane to the desert.  Paring him with Tarczewski at AZ does not help.  Scouts and GMs will go to the Garden and Pru center in NJ to see lottery pick prospect Henry and Lee can be on the floor with him.

What about international players?

Also, by that logic, a disproportionate amount of ACC & Big 10 players should be drafted. Has that been the case? (Maybe it has, I'm not sure).

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2015, 02:24:52 PM »
1: Mitola (potential grad transfer from Dartmouth), Carter
2: Duane, JjJ, Cheatham
3: Lee, Sandy, Sacar
4: Henry, Wally
5: Luke, Heldt

Any indication Mitola is considering MU?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2015, 02:27:28 PM »

I've only seen mid-majors mentioned with Mitola.  I think Vandy was in there as well.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2015, 02:30:54 PM »
What about international players?

Also, by that logic, a disproportionate amount of ACC & Big 10 players should be drafted. Has that been the case? (Maybe it has, I'm not sure).

This is why intentional players is such an "inefficient market."  Teams can find real gems and speculator busts.  

And yes, if college football is a regional sports (in the south) basketball is a regional sport of the Midwest and Northeast.  That is why the ACC/BE/B1G plus Kentucky/Kansas larger dominate the sport.  

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2015, 02:42:30 PM »
This is why intentional players is such an "inefficient market."  Teams can find real gems and speculator busts.  

And yes, if college football is a regional sports (in the south) basketball is a regional sport of the Midwest and Northeast.  That is why the ACC/BE/B1G plus Kentucky/Kansas larger dominate the sport.  

I think you're mixing together a couple of theories. I'll clarify.

I'm not asking who dominates college basketball, I'm saying that if scouting outside of the eastern timezone is as challenging as you say, there should be a disproportionate number of players drafted from the conferences out east simply because scouts are not awake while the other guys are playing out west, and therefore they have favorable views of players out east because they have seen them more (confirmation bias).

Can we prove that this actually happens?

Also, again, I haven't argued that the international game is scouted well, I'm pointing out that there are A LOT of international players drafted... so is it possible that not seeing them in person isn't actually hurting their draft prospects?

At the end of the day, playing at a major school in a major conference could help a player... but I think you're making it into far too big of an issue.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2015, 02:44:41 PM »
I can guarantee you that NBA scouts have Lee on their radar.  

No you cannot.  Or he is on their radar the same 200 to 300 other guys are on their radar and only 64 get drafted.  They are waiting for him to impress first and then will make time for him.  They will not scout him on the assumption he works himself onto the draft lists.  Definition of impress ... play well enough to get some good publicity and notice.

To be clear, I'm saying he cannot play well enough to get drafted.  He very well can.  But he starts the season where he is now, a European prospect.

Why is it everyone thinks NBA scouting is so efficient that a player is known and scouted properly no matter what and where you play does not matter.  Then, in the next breath, when Dekker hits a couple of threes we all think that moves him up in the draft.  Or when Okafor does not have a good game we think he needs another year in college?  

If scouting was efficient, then after 37 college games this season, the NBA knows all they need to know about Dekker and Okafor and whether or not their last game or two was good or not should not matter.  Fact is the last game they play does matter because it is a highly inexact science and where you play, who you play with and what attention you get matters.  Yes, Pac-12 players have a disadvantage.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:46:58 PM by Lee Heisenberg »

Shark

• All American
« Reply #145 on: April 14, 2015, 02:48:20 PM »

I really hope not. A 5'9 guy who shoots a lot. No thanks.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2015, 02:50:25 PM »
Also, just because top-25 transfers aren't listed doesn't mean there aren't other guys further down the list that might be possibilities.
  • Galal Cancer, Cornell: Decent scorer and point for Cornell, if the staff is after Miller they certainly know about this guy too.
  • Jordan Daniels, Drake: Recruited by Phelps and Nelson at Drake but never played for them. Numbers aren't spectacular, but can do a bit of everything you'd want and could be a good platoon point.
  • Lonnie Jackson, Boston College: Can shoot and play point in a pinch, not spectacular but was a regular contributor in a high-major league for BC.
  • Austin McBroom, St. Louis: Small, quick, good shooter. Could be another Maurice Acker type.
  • Alex Mitola, Dartmouth: Can shoot, score, and distribute. Has already said he'd be willing to platoon or fight for minutes on a better team.
Just because these guys aren't as sexy of names as Lee or Miller, or even guards like Tarrant or Smith, doesn't mean they couldn't be useful pieces. Looking at the roster next year, there are really two major needs. First is a guy who can rebound and score, someone like Lee or Miller. That definitely seems to be the top priority. Second is a guard that can handle some point duties and give an outside shot that at least deserves respect. With Tra and Duane in place, I'm guessing the hope is they will handle the bulk of ball-handling duties, but getting one of these guys to play 15-20 minutes or more in case of injury would be more than adequate looking at our needs.

Not everyone needs to be a star. If we get Lee or Miller, we will likely be putting four starters on the floor that are expected to get double-digit points in Duane, Lee/Miller, Henry, and Luke. Honestly, we might be better off with a situational shooter that is willing to defer than a true stud guard like Tarrant or Adam Smith.

Though personally, I would love Smith to come here and have a brilliant season, if for no other reason than the schadenfreude.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2015, 02:52:56 PM »
Yes, Pac-12 players have a disadvantage.

How do we prove that?

Can we see if there is a disproportionate number of PAC 10 players drafted vs their high school rankings? vs Big East players drafted vs their high school rankings?

Would that do it?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2015, 02:58:05 PM »
Also, just because top-25 transfers aren't listed doesn't mean there aren't other guys further down the list that might be possibilities.
  • Galal Cancer, Cornell: Decent scorer and point for Cornell, if the staff is after Miller they certainly know about this guy too.

Who would ever want a Cancer in the locker room?[/list]
SS Marquette

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #149 on: April 14, 2015, 02:58:51 PM »
I can guarantee that Lee will have the opportunity to be on NBA radars next year. Scouts will be watching every team on his list. Maryland has Trimble, Layman, and Stone, all of whom will interest scouts. Sabonis will certainly get eyes at Gonzaga, and Karnowski might attract attention too. Louisville and Arizona may not have the top talent they usually do, but some of those guys (Mathiang, Snider, Trier, Tarczewski) will likely at least get some attention. And of course, we have Henry.

No idea if Lee will end up in the NBA or not. But no matter where he goes, he will have the opportunity to get noticed by the NBA, especially if he can put up 20+ in a high-major league (I have my doubts of that).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback