'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Damion Lee gives his finalists .... MU is one of them  (Read 122199 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: Damion Lee gives his finalists .... MU is one of them
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2015, 09:54:34 AM »
It's easy to see Wojo's sales pitch.  Lee would start on the wing and could realistically be our 1st or 2nd leading scorer.  Duane and Luke have proven to be double digit scorers and Henry is a top 10 recruit.  Add Lee and that's a strong core of four starters.  I'd expect an NCAA bid with that group.

Maryland has the home state appeal and the best roster to advance far in March but he could get lost in the shuffle behind Melo Trimble, Robert Carter, Diamond Stone, etc.

Arizona loses a lot so I'm not sure they go Elite 8 again though he'd have a featured role.

Gonzaga and Louisville have playing time and decent talent but both lose a lot as well.

Lee would start for any of his five finalists but I think Louisville, Gonzaga and Arizona have as many questions as Marquette does.  Who are the PG for Zona and Zaga going to be?  Louisville's frontcourt is in flux.  The competition is steep but there is a long way to go before a decision is made.  I'm not ready to concede defeat.  Sic 'em Wojo!

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2015, 09:58:12 AM »
I'd love to get Lee. He wouldn't have put MU in his final 5 if he wasn't interested.

We can offer things the others cannot.  Louisville scares me in that regard. 

I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2015, 10:00:27 AM »
Can't imagine why he would go to Marquette as a 5th year guy. Wouldn't make much sense, Marquette finished dead last in the big east. Lots of "ifs" involved to even make a run a the tourney.

I know Wojo wants to win now, but seems to me both sides would be better off with him elsewhere. I'd rather see Cheatham, Cohen, Anim, or JJJ progress in the wing position.

Repeat after me:

Henry Ellenson is at least a 60% One and Done.

Now that you understand that, understand that we need to do everything in our power to win next year.  And given that we have only 5 returning players, we are able to get a win now guy and get future rotation players.

The big splash of landing a recruit like Henry, only matters if you win with him.  I don't want this to be our Larry Hughes or worse, our Noah Vonleh.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2015, 10:11:20 AM »
I think geography will play a bigger role than a lot of people think. I think Arizona and Gonzaga are both tough sells. Keep in mind where Lee comes from. He is from Baltimore city, went to Drexel who's campus in Philly geographically is extremely similar to Marquette's. I come from the city on the East coast and I could NEVER picture myself going to Arizona. The desert is pretty unappealing to me, and I love/need an urban environment. Obviously everyone is different, but some people think that Arizona is a no brainer because of its location and because its warm there. I think it's location could be the biggest negative for UofA. He is going to be at his new school for 1 year, I'm assuming he wants to go to a place where he can feel comfortable right away. Also, Arizona and Gonzaga get minimal exposure because they play most of their games late at night, especially for east coast viewers, and there are a lot of bad teams in the pac12, and the Zags always play a relatively weak schedule.

Louisville and Maryland make sense geographically, but at Maryland he will play sidekick to Melo Trimble in the backcourt. Louisville has added a few perimeter guys and they just signed the high-scoring guard from Cleveland State. And Arizona always reloads and he will just fit in there as a role player.

At Marquette, he will be our go to scorer. He will be like Carlino this year but I think a better all around scorer. I see him playing over 30mins a game at MU and scoring in the high teens in ppg. He will have enough of a supporting cast here to make us really competitive, but also a void on the wing were he can get all the shots/mins he needs. I think it would make a lot of sense for him to come here, be a leader, and lead us to the tourney and beyond.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2015, 10:49:29 AM »
If your goal is to play one season to increase your exposure to NBA execs/scouts, The Big East is the way to go.  You will play in more NBA arenas in the BE than any other conference.  Simply put, in the BE you go to the NBA and make it easy for them.  In the Pac-12, they have to get on a long plane flight to see you.

If you go to AZ, what happens when you put up a big night against Washington State in front of no NBA scouts starting at 11PM ET when NBA execs are going to bed and not watching?

Sorry, but I'm fairly confident in saying that if there is a player that is worthy of being on an NBA scout's/GM's radar, the scout/GM will make sure he sees the player play regardless of where the player is playing.  Whether it is East Coast, Midwest, West Coast, or overseas, the GM/scout will see the player play.  It's a scout's and GM's profession.  It's what those people are paid to do.  They aren't going to ignore a player simply because it's past their bedtime and too many mileage points to make it to a player's game to scout him.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:51:08 AM by LeesWorld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2015, 10:49:37 AM »
Maybe Traci Carter is the lead recruiter!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2015, 10:55:42 AM »
If your goal is to play one season to increase your exposure to NBA execs/scouts, The Big East is the way to go.  You will play in more NBA arenas in the BE than any other conference.  Simply put, in the BE you go to the NBA and make it easy for them.  In the Pac-12, they have to get on a long plane flight to see you.

If you go to AZ, what happens when you put up a big night against Washington State in front of no NBA scouts starting at 11PM ET when NBA execs are going to bed and not watching?

Agreed. There have been countless Wildcats who were likely going to be drafted, but the scouts simply don't stay up late enough to see them play. Same for UCLA.

It's really a sad situation for those kids. I hope the NCAA can somehow make a rule change to help these kids out. Maybe all PAC games have to start at 8pm EST?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2015, 11:02:39 AM »
Sorry, but I'm fairly confident in saying that if there is a player that is worthy of being on an NBA scout's/GM's radar, the scout/GM will make sure he sees the player play regardless of where the player is playing.  Whether it is East Coast, Midwest, West Coast, or overseas, the GM/scout will see the player play.  It's a scout's and GM's profession.  It's what those people are paid to do.  They aren't going to ignore a player simply because it's past their bedtime and too many mileage points to make it to a player's game to scout him.

You give these scouts and NBA teams way too much credit.  It far easier to get their attention playing in Philly, NY (twice), DC, and Chicago than Washington Oregon, Colorado and AZ

MU us going to pack the place with scouts to see Henry.  Lee will be on the floor as well.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:06:49 AM by Lee Heisenberg »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2015, 11:05:57 AM »

Lee is not worthy, if he was he would be gone to the NBA this year.  They are not going to send scouts to Gonzaga because he might be worthy.  He has to show it first, then they have to read about him on college basketball sites and then they will go see him.  You think these guys are more sophisticated than this?  Please.

In the meantime, Henry is his best ticket.  Scouts will go to MU games to see Henry and Lee will be on the floor with him.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2015, 11:15:56 AM »
Can't imagine why he would go to Marquette as a 5th year guy. Wouldn't make much sense, Marquette finished dead last in the big east. Lots of "ifs" involved to even make a run a the tourney.

I know Wojo wants to win now, but seems to me both sides would be better off with him elsewhere. I'd rather see Cheatham, Cohen, Anim, or JJJ progress in the wing position.

As my good friend Mr. Mackey always says

Drugs are bad mmmkay
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2015, 11:16:04 AM »
Repeat after me:

Now that you understand that, understand that we need to do everything in our power to win next year.  And given that we have only 5 returning players, we are able to get a win now guy and get future rotation players.

The big splash of landing a recruit like Henry, only matters if you win with him.  I don't want this to be our Larry Hughes or worse, our Noah Vonleh.

This. If Henry's career at MU = Vonleh's at IU (1 season, near the bottom of the conference, no tournament) his impact on the program will be minimal.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2015, 11:20:48 AM »
Repeat after me:

I don't think you're right, I don't think you're right, I don't think you're right

Henry is not the kind of dominant low post Big Man that will be a lottery pick based on potential alone.  With his game he would need to have a spectacular season to make the lottery as a freshman.  it would also help for him to have a Wade type tournament but its unlikely that even if MU makes the tourney they will be playing past the first weekend.
H.E. does not have the kind of family or entourage that is going to encourage him to jump early.  Its just a fact that his background so different than the typical kid trying to jump quickly into the NBA.  Unless he really hates school which there are no indications he will, he will play at least until his brother graduates and I think there is a fair chance he plays through junior year like Dekker.
I'm all for win right away and I'm sure the staff is to but I think your odds of him leaving a way to high.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2015, 11:26:31 AM »
Lee is not worthy, if he was he would be gone to the NBA this year.  They are not going to send scouts to Gonzaga because he might be worthy.  He has to show it first, then they have to read about him on college basketball sites and then they will go see him.  You think these guys are more sophisticated than this?  Please.

In the meantime, Henry is his best ticket.  Scouts will go to MU games to see Henry and Lee will be on the floor with him.

No.

The truth is, while scouts don't always get everything correct, it's unlikely that his exposure will be significantly hurt by any of the 5 schools he's looking at.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2015, 11:29:02 AM »
Although the "hometown connection" certainly goes in favor of Maryland, the fact that Wojo is a Baltimore guy as well is one that I didn't think of initially but may be important going forward.  Just another positive in regards to the coaching staff.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2015, 11:36:36 AM »
You give these scouts and NBA teams way too much credit.  It far easier to get their attention playing in Philly, NY (twice), DC, and Chicago than Washington Oregon, Colorado and AZ

MU us going to pack the place with scouts to see Henry.  Lee will be on the floor as well.

Come on, weak argument. If you are a good player, they will find you. BTW, how has it impacted Arizona?

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2015, 11:38:00 AM »

Fyi, Draft Express has Ellenson as the #5 pick already.

Wally will be graduating next year as well. Sit in class or make a pro rated $3 mill per year and fulfill a dream. Let's enjoy "HENBA" while we have him.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2015, 11:51:27 AM »
Come on, weak argument. If you are a good player, they will find you. BTW, how has it impacted Arizona?

Right.  Last year's first round alone included players from Australia, Croatia, Bosnia, Brazil, Switzerland and Serbia.  Maybe 40 years ago where you played made a difference but today playing in the Pacific time zone is not going to negatively impact anyone's draft status.  Besides, I'm pretty sure there are several NBA teams (and scouts) on the west coast.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2015, 11:58:44 AM »
If your goal is to play one season to increase your exposure to NBA execs/scouts, The Big East is the way to go.  You will play in more NBA arenas in the BE than any other conference.  Simply put, in the BE you go to the NBA and make it easy for them.  In the Pac-12, they have to get on a long plane flight to see you.

So, if you're a scout for an NBA team, you don't have to do your job if it interferes with your bed time?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2015, 12:00:34 PM »

And then there's that tape thingy.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2015, 12:01:26 PM »

I can guarantee you that NBA scouts have Lee on their radar.  No doubt about it.  They will be very intrigued to see how he plays at his new school given the step up in level of competition.

And you bring up Hank multiple times, but I guess players like Sobonis or Wiltjer for Gonzaga will bring no NBA scouts out to their games.  That makes sense.  Also, I guess Arizona will never play games near NBA teams' home bases, because UCLA and USC aren't in the Pac 12 and don't play right next door to the Lakers and Clippers.  Also, I forgot that NBA GMs and scouts only go to college games that are played in their home arenas to scout college players.  And that they live in their home arenas, so when a team like this past year's Marquette team is playing at home against Creighton we all know the Bucks are on high alert for that game.

You are flat out wrong.  If a player is good enough to be on an NBA team's radar, the scout is going to go see them no matter where he is playing.  If he's not, the scout isn't going to waste his time.  It's as simple as that.  No scout is going to miss out on an NBA player simply because their games were too late at night to stay up to watch or were too far away from them geographically.  That is beyond silly.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2015, 12:05:10 PM »
And then there's that tape thingy.

Then there is that, you are correct.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2015, 12:16:16 PM »
The desert is pretty unappealing to me

Edward Abbey weeps

Death on call

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2015, 12:30:51 PM »
Ludum habemus.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2015, 12:32:29 PM »

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

Unless he stinks his freshman year he's gone. He's projected as a top 5 pick in next years draft as of right now. He's a one and done or it's bad news for Marquette, because he didn't come close to living up to his ranking.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2015, 12:36:37 PM »
Repeat after me:

You've gone down....I like it.  It was 99% about two months ago.   :)    I still think he is a 2 year player, but that's before I've seen him play against great competition.  It was hard for me to judge how good he is going against the 5'10" 6'5" in high school that he clearly dominated.