[May 13, 2024, 08:40:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by brewcity77
[May 13, 2024, 07:04:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 04:51:05 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by tower912
[May 13, 2024, 04:33:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Steve Taylor Commits  (Read 15032 times)

QuetteHoops

• Starter
Steve Taylor Commits
« on: August 07, 2011, 01:23:29 PM »
Per evan daniels on twitter!!!

GGGG

• All American
Re: Steve Taylor Commits
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 01:29:05 PM »
Nice!  I think ever since Mark Miller tweeted this late last week, this is the guy that I think people thought would be the choice.  Now if we could get a nice PF with the last scholie, I think this is a real good recruiting class if you include the TJ Taylor transfer.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 01:31:16 PM »
Sounds like we'll be Cuse West...if we get another big.

But it's going to be interesting to see the playing time dispersed based on the amount of Fs we're accumulating.
SS Marquette

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 01:33:12 PM »
Now we can only hope that Jabari Parker is the '13 guy that Mark Miller was talking about. Taylor can't hurt our chances with him

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 01:33:42 PM »
Taylor is listed by scout as a 4* Power Forward I'm not sure what position Buzz thinks of him in college but he's listed anywhere from 6'7'' to 6'8''...

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 01:34:10 PM »
Brian Snow - He does nothing at an elite level but does a lot of different things very well.

So....is this kid a PF or a SF? Snow said he is slightly under 6'8" and the write-ups make him appear to be more of a shooter than a banger.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 01:34:50 PM »
Now we can only hope that Jabari Parker is the '13 guy that Mark Miller was talking about. Taylor can't hurt our chances with him

Parker. Eff me. That would be HUGE!!! A major stepping stone to the CHI-town pipeline! Add to that, great post countermoves!

Forwards 2012-2013
Jamil - JR
Jamail - JR
Juan - SO
Jamal - FR
Steve - FR

Looks like there's enough PT to go around. And they ALL can hit the trey.

Looks like he can stroke the ball and has a LONG wingspan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UVJAZ1dM0s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxwgfJtMruU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMXYuUFuRaE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLx7LYKXz7Y
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 01:45:42 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 01:39:49 PM »
Brian Snow - He does nothing at an elite level but does a lot of different things very well.

So....is this kid a PF or a SF? Snow said he is slightly under 6'8" and the write-ups make him appear to be more of a shooter than a banger.

I think Snow is right on with his comment about Steve Taylor doing a lot of different things well.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 01:43:43 PM »
All writeups I have seen portray him more of a SF type.  What concerns me most is how they are going to replace Jae after next year.  I am not sure where the defense on the 4 is going to be.

Another good sign after the Reggie Smith transfer is that we are still in good with Mac Irvin.

But it's going to be interesting to see the playing time dispersed based on the amount of Fs we're accumulating.

Well, we have one going off and one coming in....not to mention we are two scholies short this year.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 01:51:12 PM »
Nice!  Add Kris Dunn and this would be an unreal class!!!  Already great as it stands!

The ESPN write-up makes him sound like a Butler clone (not putting those expectations on him, just jumped out at me)

"In the lane, he's more of the crafty type than overpowering player. Knows his way around the rim and will even pull out a counter move. Comes from a very good high school program and he has a coachable attitude."

"When he wants to mix it up on the glass, and he should want to do that, he can be great on the glass. He has a natural nose for the ball that he doesn't use enough"

Butler was a bit hesitant to mix it up at first, but when he blossomed he showed an amazing nose for rebounding.  He was a way better interior player at a wiry 6' 7" than he should have been because of his craftiness.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 01:52:50 PM »
Chicago kid. Easy for his friends and family to come see him play.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 01:55:57 PM »
Sounds like we'll be Cuse West...if we get another big.

What does that mean, exactly? Cuse recruits players that fit their 2-3 scheme. We dont really play zone...

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 02:14:40 PM »
What does that mean, exactly? Cuse recruits players that fit their 2-3 scheme. We dont really play zone...

I know. I don't expect MU to play 2-3, but I won't be surprised that we will play it more when these guys get in.

We're getting the long and rangy switchables necessary to extend the defense to the 3pt line.

Would the depth charts look something like this?

PG - Cadougan (SR), Vander (JR), Derrick (SO), Taylor (SO)
SG - Mayo (SO), Vander (JR), Taylor (SO), Jamal (FR)
SF - Jamail (JR), Juan (SO), Mayo (SO), Jamal (FR)
PF - Wilson (JR), Gardner (JR), Steve (FR)
C - Otule (SR), Gardner (JR)

Jake Thomas isn't listed since he's a WO.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:20:42 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 02:20:19 PM »

We are not getting Jabari Parker.
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

MarkMiller

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 02:29:16 PM »
Taylor can play either forward spot. He averaged 11.8 points and 8.1 rebounds in six games at the Peach Jam in July as Mac Irvin went 4-2. An excellent fit for Marquette and Buzz Williams.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 02:37:10 PM »
Looks good to me.  A lot of arc on that mid-range jumper :)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 02:44:30 PM »
Thanks goodness he's not a juco.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 02:48:37 PM »
always love getting chicago kids

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 02:52:07 PM »
Great news! Really glad to add Taylor, finally a legitimate power forward.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 03:01:20 PM »

He's not.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:03:21 PM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 03:32:30 PM »
Congratulations to Buzz and staff!  Taylor seems like a great kid from the interview clips I've seen.  Great choice Steve Taylor!

Think this is big win on the recruiting trail for Buzz on several fronts:

1) 4 star 6'7-6'8 versatile kid
2) Chicago product and Simeon high school
3) Mac Irvin AAU player
4) Essentially his 3rd 4 star player for 2012 (3 for 3 thus far), with a lot of talent on board already.

Can't wait to learn who the 2013 kid that Mark MIller was referring to.  And thumbs up to Mark Miller for breaking the news or hinting at this development.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 03:56:18 PM »
Really great news!   Welcome to Marquette Steve!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 05:11:56 PM »
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=4477701

ESPN update on Taylor.

Disregard...........  Tower had the right link. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:15:12 PM by nyg »

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 05:20:12 PM »
More media coverage:

"Head coach Buzz Williams, Tony Benford and Marquette University have scored big-time in the city of Chicago, and have landed Class of 2012 Chicago Simeon star Steve Taylor.

Taylor, a 6'8 forward, is the #1-ranked Class of 2012 prospect in the state of Illinois.  He is a highly versatile frontcourt talent who has the ability to drill shots with range, while also being able to impact games inside with his scoring and rebounding.

"It's a great fit," said Taylor who saw his recruiting stock soar last spring when he began to put his enhanced perimeter skills on display.

Taylor also noted that the distance to home which will allow his family to see him play was also a factor.  Taylor, who was on campus at Marquette yesterday, chose the school over Missouri and Ohio.

Taylor combines with Jabari Parker, Kendrick Nunn and Jaylon Tate to give Simeon a sensational core of talent that will once again open the season as one of the best high school teams in the country.

Taylor competed on the travel team circuit with the Mac Irvin Fire."

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=642:qits-a-great-fitq-buzz-williams-tony-benford-and-marquette-university-land-class-of-2012-chicago-simeon-star-steve-taylor&catid=34:recruiting
SS Marquette

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 05:30:35 PM »
I am not sure if this link was posted.  They say he is the number once prospect in Illinois for the 2012 class. 

http://ilprepbullseye.com/Taylor_Marquette.html

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2011, 05:43:39 PM »
So Buzz gets the #1 kid from IL, who plays for Mac Irvin Fire.

But I read here that Reggie Smith leaving was gonna eff that relationship up. Huh.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2011, 05:50:16 PM »
moved
SS Marquette

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2011, 06:00:48 PM »
Hey jmreddevil---Why can't we get Jabari Parker? Shaq Cleare would be the topper.

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2011, 06:04:52 PM »
Hey jmreddevil---Why can't we get Jabari Parker? Shaq Cleare would be the topper.

Jabari listed his top 5 at the end of July and we werent in it. I dont remember all of his favorites but it included Duke, Izzo, UNC and Illinois. And Im guessing him listing Illinois is just a friendly gesture.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2011, 06:09:33 PM »
Jabari listed his top 5 at the end of July and we werent in it. I dont remember all of his favorites but it included Duke, Izzo, UNC and Illinois. And Im guessing him listing Illinois is just a friendly gesture.

I doubt we get Parker, but that top 5 is pretty stock. He doesn't have to commit for another 20 months or so, and if it's within a year he'll be committing early. Again, not saying we get him, but wait to see what he's saying come March and April. With Taylor in the fold, it's possible we could still get in on him.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2011, 06:32:04 PM »

He listed UNC in his top 5 and had not yet been offered by them. They finally offered him this past Thursday night.

It's one thing not to be on his list, but a whole other story when HE has you on his list and you haven't even offered yet.

Won't be MU when all the blue blood programs are all over him.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2011, 06:43:06 PM »

He listed UNC in his top 5 and had not yet been offered by them. They finally offered him this past Thursday night.

It's one thing not to be on his list, but a whole other story when HE has you on his list and you haven't even offered yet.

Won't be MU when all the blue blood programs are all over him.

Well...here's one possibility. If he holds off his decision until at least Fall of 2012 (Brian Snow wrote this week that it looks like a loooooooooong recruitment) and we end up cutting down the nets in New Orleans in April 2012 thanks to DJO averaging 30.6 ppg in the NCAA Tournament (including a robust 47-point effort in dispatching UNC in the national semifinal) maybe he decides to take a visit. While in Milwaukee, his buddy Steve Taylor convinces him that Marquette is the place to be, Buzz wins over him and his family, and even D-Wade stops back for a shootaround while wearing Marquette shorts to help sway his fellow Chi-town native. Parker decides that playing for the national champs with a good friend and following in the footsteps of Wade is just too good to pass on and decides to put on the Blue and Gold.

Of course...that may be aiming a bit high, but better too high than too low, right? ;D

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2011, 09:13:06 PM »
Quit dreaming about Parker. As the other poster said its not happening.

Taylor is combo forward but mostly a stretch 4. Good replacement for Jae once he puts on a little more muscle.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2011, 09:30:46 PM »
taylor reminds me of glen "big dog"  a little bit.  inside/outside in college.  then to his detriment, went mostly outside in the pros.  hopefully stevo can have a "big dog" like time here at mu!! 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2011, 09:57:21 PM »
That's how I have it working out as well...anyone have a set of final four tickets?

Well...here's one possibility. If he holds off his decision until at least Fall of 2012 (Brian Snow wrote this week that it looks like a loooooooooong recruitment) and we end up cutting down the nets in New Orleans in April 2012 thanks to DJO averaging 30.6 ppg in the NCAA Tournament (including a robust 47-point effort in dispatching UNC in the national semifinal) maybe he decides to take a visit. While in Milwaukee, his buddy Steve Taylor convinces him that Marquette is the place to be, Buzz wins over him and his family, and even D-Wade stops back for a shootaround while wearing Marquette shorts to help sway his fellow Chi-town native. Parker decides that playing for the national champs with a good friend and following in the footsteps of Wade is just too good to pass on and decides to put on the Blue and Gold.

Of course...that may be aiming a bit high, but better too high than too low, right? ;D

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2011, 10:10:49 PM »
He said UK will eventually be in it at the end. LOL. Apparently, it takes awhile to get the Pay Pal Cal accounts set up so that the NCAA cant trace the money. He's not coming here. I dont have inside info except for scout crap but Buzz cant out-bid UK for his one year's worth of services. Personally, I dont like to set myself up for disappointment; to me, he has already committed to the highest bidder. Im guessing Matta gets involved later on as well. I would prefer MU stay away from that crap. Remember Anthony Davis? It was reported that either DePaul or Northwestern filed a complaint against UK. Nothing happened. Then, Syracuse, the first school to offer him, ducked out before it ended. If you 'read around', Chicago is the second most corrupt h.s. bball city behind NYC (yeah, I read the book on Stephon Marbury....what a piece of work). 

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2011, 10:31:33 PM »

What the others have said.  He is the number 1 recruit overall on scout.  The dude is a 1 and done type talent, and I don't think that type of player chooses MU over all of the bluebloods and home state school.  We don't have an in, and others are much better suited to the baggage that comes along with that level of talent.

In addition, we have not been listed with him in a long time, and his suitor list is a mile long.  IMO, it is ok to dream, but silly to post about it in threads and get some other reader's hopes up.

That being said, Buzz is still on a good amount of 4 star players, and a few 5 stars - I think we will still be very happy with his '12 and '13 classes when all is said and dunn.   :)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2011, 10:38:44 PM »
Chicago Trib article tonight on Taylor. Listed at 6'8''....recruited as a "player" not a 3 or 4. Good get by the staff...face up PF...ummm player... which will really be a tough match-up--and MU has always made deep runs with a strong frontline. I think he may have more upside than Shaw, and MU is a a great fit for Taylor (vs. Shaw in the end). 

#1 player in Illinois to MU, gents. That hasn't happened since Bo, IIRC.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-68-simeon-forward-taylor-picks-marquette-20110807,0,3531845.story

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2011, 10:39:55 PM »
taylor reminds me of glen "big dog"  a little bit. 

I was trying to think of it.  Great comparison.    I love his stroke and think he is going to be a below the rim type player if we try to put him at the 4, but i think he's just another one of those switchables that's going to play wherever he needs to pending on the situation in the game.  

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2011, 10:44:16 PM »
Gimme Beejay Anya. Pipe dream, I know. I have a friend that has watched him all throughout last year's h.s. season and said he is a difference maker. That's why I was hoping the staff could get in with Jerami Grant (whom we offered about 6 months ago). Grant plays on the same team as Anya PLUS they both play for Team Takeover in BMore. I think we got screwed by the assistant coaching change at Syracuse because they are apparently leading now despite not being in it when MU originally offered. Steve Taylor, however, lessens the blow a bit.

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2011, 10:48:09 PM »
#1 player in Illinois to MU, gents. That hasn't happened since Bo, IIRC.

That is a bit deceiving.  #1 2012 player, not the top player in state.  That would be his Simeon teammate, Jabari Parker by most accounts.

2012 is way down for Chicago this year, especialy compared to the loaded 2011 and 2013 classes around it.  Looking forward to Steve joining the team though, hopefully he is that face up 4 that can board that Buzz has been searching for since he got here.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2011, 11:02:43 PM »
That is a bit deceiving.  #1 2012 player, not the top player in state.  That would be his Simeon teammate, Jabari Parker by most accounts.

2012 is way down for Chicago this year, especialy compared to the loaded 2011 and 2013 classes around it.  Looking forward to Steve joining the team though, hopefully he is that face up 4 that can board that Buzz has been searching for since he got here.

Yes, woe is us. Again, MU hasn't nabbed the #1 recruit from the #3/4 best hoops recruiting state in nearly 40 years. Taylor is a starter on what will be the #1 high school team in the country, and he possesses a rare match-up ability.  My god, Tyshawn Taylor didn't even start on his high school national championship team.

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2011, 11:11:31 PM »
Yes, woe is us. Again, MU hasn't nabbed the #1 recruit from the #3/4 best hoops recruiting state in nearly 40 years. Taylor is a starter on what will be the #1 high school team in the country, and he possesses a rare match-up ability.  My god, Tyshawn Taylor didn't even start on his high school national championship team.

Im not disagreeing with you but lets be objective for the sake of the original post; yes, the 2012 Chicago class is down. And yes, there are unarguably better prospects in 2013 and 2014 than there are in 2012 out of Chicago. The benefit is that the 2012 players know what it takes to win....which means deferring to younger players. Thats not a bad thing. With that said, Vincent Yarbourgh's brother (?) is very solid and Jonny Vassar is going to be a 5 star (he left Chi to play in the NE somewhere-too lazy to look it up). Nevermind Parker or Hamilton!

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2011, 11:57:10 PM »
He said UK will eventually be in it at the end. LOL. Apparently, it takes awhile to get the Pay Pal Cal accounts set up so that the NCAA cant trace the money. He's not coming here. I dont have inside info except for scout crap but Buzz cant out-bid UK for his one year's worth of services. Personally, I dont like to set myself up for disappointment; to me, he has already committed to the highest bidder. Im guessing Matta gets involved later on as well. I would prefer MU stay away from that crap. Remember Anthony Davis? It was reported that either DePaul or Northwestern filed a complaint against UK. Nothing happened. Then, Syracuse, the first school to offer him, ducked out before it ended. If you 'read around', Chicago is the second most corrupt h.s. bball city behind NYC (yeah, I read the book on Stephon Marbury....what a piece of work). 

I don't understand why you're being so cynical. Taylor's commitment can only help us in our attempt to recruit Parker, and if you're suggesting that Parker will commit to the school who is able to pay him the most money without the NCAA's knowledge, take that conspiracy theory elsewhere, nobody wants to hear it.

McGary is a top 5 recruit, and a lot of posters here believe that we have a legitimate shot at him, but you haven't dismissed those posts... what makes McGary any different from Parker?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2011, 12:00:39 AM »
Im not disagreeing with you but lets be objective for the sake of the original post; yes, the 2012 Chicago class is down. And yes, there are unarguably better prospects in 2013 and 2014 than there are in 2012 out of Chicago. The benefit is that the 2012 players know what it takes to win....which means deferring to younger players. Thats not a bad thing. With that said, Vincent Yarbourgh's brother (?) is very solid and Jonny Vassar is going to be a 5 star (he left Chi to play in the NE somewhere-too lazy to look it up). Nevermind Parker or Hamilton!

If for that damn mole   ;D   (yes, other classes are loaded...it is Malik Yarbrough, btw, and the Illini have already offered his freshman year at ZB. That said, this is a great get and fit...back in Chicago).

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 12:31:37 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2011, 12:07:06 AM »
I don't understand why you're being so cynical. Taylor's commitment can only help us in our attempt to recruit Parker, and if you're suggesting that Parker will commit to the school who is able to pay him the most money without the NCAA's knowledge, take that conspiracy theory elsewhere, nobody wants to hear it.

McGary is a top 5 recruit, and a lot of posters here believe that we have a legitimate shot at him, but you haven't dismissed those posts... what makes McGary any different from Parker?

Im sorry. Forgive me. I have stated in previous posts that we have no chance it McGary either. And, no, Im not being cynical, feel free to show me an MU track record that can fetch recruits over the likes of UK, UNC and DUke. And no, Im not talking about role players; Im talking about focal point type players. We just arent there yet. Does a top 75 player really give you so much confidence such that we can  land a top 5 player? Different animals, pal. Hey, Id love to see it but if you pay attention to the scholls like even UConn, they have trouble landing these types of players (and they have won as many championships in less time than we have visited the sweet sixteen. Sorry, Im a realist.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2011, 05:36:02 AM »

Anyone who says they know where McGary is leaning is lying. Marquette may have a chance because they were one of the first in on him and he's visited multiple times. In addition, the rumors were first that if Texas offered, he'd go there, then if UNC offered, he'd go there. Well, both have now offered, and McGary still has yet to commit.

The truth is there are around 50 schools that think they're in on him. He hasn't said anything concrete for awhile except that he'd like to make a decision before his senior year. Does that help us? Maybe, who knows? The positive is I don't think we'll have to wait long. Win or lose (and likely lose, because 49/50 will lose) it shouldn't drag on all winter.

Do we have a chance? Sure, maybe, but no one really knows because McGary isn't saying.

On the other hand, Cleare did have us in his final seven a week ago. There's definitely hope there for the McGary pessimists.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2011, 08:54:49 AM »
MCGary will have to see the roster for those schools before he makes a decision, he will probably want some PT time.
Now at MU, he would probably start ahead of Taylor, or at least split time with him.  I say MU still has a small window
of opportunity.  Maybe he wants to go to a smaller school, you never know what is in the head of a 17 year old.  But like
I said on another post, shoot for the moon.  One day, Buzz might strike.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2011, 09:38:15 AM »

Just to add to this, here's an article by the Bullseye Brothers.  I'm not going to sniff my nose at landing the #1 player available for 2012.

"Even though the class of 2012 in Illinois is weak overall, that should not be meant to take away from Taylor's game, as he is hands down the #1 prospect from Illinois in that class."
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2011, 10:24:12 AM »
Is this the thread where we talk about how awesome he is going to be, and somebody even thinks he'll go to the NBA in 2 years?

Then, after his frosh. year, we can start a new thread where everybody says he is a bust?

I kid, I kid.

Looks like a good player, and fits the "switchables" bit perfectly, which really might prove to be a great recruiting technique in the long run as there are a lot of athletic guys between 6-5 and 6-8 who get pigeon-holed into a spot and then are forced to develop the skills to match it. Buzz seems to embrace multiple skills for the 2/3/4 positions.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2011, 12:03:52 PM »
Just to add to this, here's an article by the Bullseye Brothers.  I'm not going to sniff my nose at landing the #1 player available for 2012.

"Even though the class of 2012 in Illinois is weak overall, that should not be meant to take away from Taylor's game, as he is hands down the #1 prospect from Illinois in that class."

The rating services agree (national and Chicago) as well on both counts---Taylor is #1 in 2012 and that 2013 is loaded.  btw, I went back and looked up MU getting the #1 out of Illinois and the last one was Sir Walter--although not directly (DePaul and then transfer to MU).  Russell Cross (Manley/Purdue) beat out Doc in 1980...so indeed it may be Bo as the last #1.  Down year or not, pretty interesting fact, seemingly great fit, and better yet, great to be back in the Chicago column.   

Bo's Bio:
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/maurice_bo_ellis

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2011, 12:24:27 PM »
Can someone offer explanations as to why the #1 recruit from Illinois is only the #63 overall according to Scout?

Even the basketball powerhouses of Sheboygan and New Hampshire were represented in the top 50.  What's up with the state of HS basketball in the State of Illinois?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2011, 12:58:48 PM »
I think he is more like 72 on scout.  Its a down year in ILL 2012.  2013 and 2014 are back where they normally are.   Both years they have top 10 player's in the country and probably 5-8 player's in the Top 100. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2011, 01:02:01 PM »
MCGary will have to see the roster for those schools before he makes a decision, he will probably want some PT time.
Now at MU, he would probably start ahead of Taylor, or at least split time with him.  I say MU still has a small window
of opportunity.  Maybe he wants to go to a smaller school, you never know what is in the head of a 17 year old.  But like
I said on another post, shoot for the moon.  One day, Buzz might strike.

McGary is more of a PF but I see him playing the C in college.

BTW, MU was mentioned as schools in the running for McGary in a recent article.
SS Marquette

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2011, 08:04:13 PM »
Ian Powers from the NY Daily News updates on Taylor at the Peach Jam:

Steve Taylor Chicago, IL/ Simeon 6'8" 200 SF 2012- Taylor is a long and lean athlete with a nice stroke. When he sets his feet he can knock down shots at a high rate from long distance. He's an above average athlete and flashes the ability to get to the basket. He settles too much for jumpers at times and doesn't mix it up inside as much as he could. He's an intriguing prospect that can possibly play in the league one day with polish and added toughness to his game.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2011-nike-peach-jam-day-2

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2011, 08:11:20 PM »
That's a great pick-up. Taylor fits all the criteria for star potential. With prospects like this in program, Buzz will easily have MU top 5 for the near future.

More importantly, Benford's efforts in Chicago pay off. That is a very important piece of our pipeline we've laid over the decades and we hit a soft patch there for a little bit. Landing a kid like Taylor shows could hopefully pique the interest of one of those 2013 studs in Chicago.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2011, 08:27:39 PM »
McGary is more of a PF but I see him playing the C in college.

BTW, MU was mentioned as schools in the running for McGary in a recent article.

That's why I'd love to get McGary now. He'd come in as a freshman with Otule having a year and Gardner having 2 years of eligibility. He'd be able to primarily play his natural position. If he filled out and became more of a natural center, he could move over when DG graduates, and it would give Buzz two recruiting classes to find another center if we wanted to leave McGary at the four. Of course, he'd likely play some five, but with those two guys here, he wouldn't be forced to play there.

And just to back that up, I saw an article today that includes Marquette among the schools still in the mix for McGary. Of course, the writer also listed 13 other schools, including heavy-hitters like UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Louisville, and Indiana, but at this point, I'd take being in the final 14.

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2011, 09:46:32 PM »
Can someone offer explanations as to why the #1 recruit from Illinois is only the #63 overall according to Scout?

Even the basketball powerhouses of Sheboygan and New Hampshire were represented in the top 50.  What's up with the state of HS basketball in the State of Illinois?

Look at the 2011 and 2013 classes - top player overall on Scout in each class is from Chicago - Jabari Parker and Anthony Davis.  The talent ebbs and flows, both of those classes are big time classes coming out of Chicago, but 2012 doesn't have that many high major players.  Is what it is.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2011, 10:07:12 PM »
Everyone needs to stop dreaming about McGary....it isn't going to happen.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2011, 10:29:42 PM »
Everyone needs to stop dreaming about McGary....it isn't going to happen.

Why do you care? And how do you know? Honestly, anyone who says they know what direction this recruitment is going is lying. All McGary has said is he plans to decide fairly quickly. He has 50+ offers out there. Will he look for somewhere he can play immediately? Somewhere that he's built a relationship with the coaches over a couple years? Somewhere where he can slowly develop his skills with an eye on a degree as well as basketball? Somewhere where he will have a good chance at winning national titles? No one knows because he hasn't said.

Most likely we will not get McGary. But it doesn't hurt any of us if we don't get him. If he puts on a UNC hat tomorrow, it won't crush my dreams and leave me despondent, I'll just say "oh well" and start hoping for Dunn, or Cleare, or Bennett, or any of the other guys we are in on.

Seriously, everyone with this "stop dreaming about McGary" obsession needs to give it a rest. Your pessimism certainly doesn't do us any good, and I think it's safe to say optimism (or neutrality) won't hurt anyone.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2011, 11:18:29 PM »
Seriously, everyone with this "stop dreaming about McGary" obsession needs to give it a rest. Your pessimism certainly doesn't do us any good, and I think it's safe to say optimism (or neutrality) won't hurt anyone.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Same thing goes for Parker. Nothing wrong with dreaming big.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2011, 11:56:39 PM »
Honestly, I wish it would happen but just don't think that the program has the cache that it did during Al's days yet. (operative word here is yet)

A few more years of winning consistently including more marquee wins, less "predictable" losses, and more deep tourney runs and we can be effectively competing for guys who rank in the top 5 at their positions on a regular basis.

We also need a more unified fan base.....there were too many here (and elsewhere) still taking shots at Buzz and especially his JUCO recruiting just a few weeks/months ago. If you don't think the top recruits (and their parents) don't read the fan boards you're sorely mistaken. On some boards players' parents and their AAU coaches are frequent contributors not just drive bys.

We've got a way to go to level the playing field but can get a lot closer with a few more winning seasons with recruits that Buzz brings in and manages to keep around for four years.

BTW, I think that Michigan is the dark horse for McGary right now and would not be surprised to see him commit there.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2011, 08:15:59 AM »
We probably still have a chance at McGary, but it does get irritating after a while when people keep obsessing about getting a certain player. Last year we were clearly out of the Tokoto race and people kept obsessing about him. This year we are clearly out of the race for Bronson Koenig and people keep talking about him.

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2011, 09:25:08 AM »
We probably still have a chance at McGary, but it does get irritating after a while when people keep obsessing about getting a certain player. Last year we were clearly out of the Tokoto race and people kept obsessing about him. This year we are clearly out of the race for Bronson Koenig and people keep talking about him.

I'd love McGary and I have no doubts that Kris Dunn will be a very good player...but given the make-up of this team and the recent verbal from Taylor (coupled with the fact that we have a hybrid guard and a 2/3 switchable coming in next year as well) I would be thrilled if we got Cleare or Nolan at this point.

For me, with 2013 being widely regarded as a "loaded class" in the midwest, my pecking order for 2012 now would be McGary, Cleare, Nolan...Cadougan is going to be a very effective player and [TJ] Taylor is already believed to be an effective PG...I, personally, subscribe to the belief that you can teach ball handling, you can teach on-court awareness and decision making, but you can't teach size...add one more TRUE post player to the mix and this team is still well balanced after O'Tule leaves.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2011, 10:08:51 AM »
Honestly, I wish it would happen but just don't think that the program has the cache that it did during Al's days yet. (operative word here is yet)

A few more years of winning consistently including more marquee wins, less "predictable" losses, and more deep tourney runs and we can be effectively competing for guys who rank in the top 5 at their positions on a regular basis.

We also need a more unified fan base.....there were too many here (and elsewhere) still taking shots at Buzz and especially his JUCO recruiting just a few weeks/months ago. If you don't think the top recruits (and their parents) don't read the fan boards you're sorely mistaken. On some boards players' parents and their AAU coaches are frequent contributors not just drive bys.

We've got a way to go to level the playing field but can get a lot closer with a few more winning seasons with recruits that Buzz brings in and manages to keep around for four years.

BTW, I think that Michigan is the dark horse for McGary right now and would not be surprised to see him commit there.

While it certainly is a plus, not having cachet on par with the like of Duke, UNC, UK, etc. does not preclude one from landing a 5-star recruit.

Granted, McGary is a top-5 recruit, so perhaps he belongs in a "6-star" category that is reserved only for the elite.  Nonetheless, his Scout list is 11:  Arizona, Duke, Florida, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Marquette, Maryland, Michigan, North Carolina, Texas.  The only notable absence is UCLA.  Otherwise that, my friends, is called a "who's who" list.

The fact that Marquette is there may be a surprise to some; it may be a chest-thumping moment for others.  And then, there are those who simply chalk it up as another expectation met.  Regardless of how you categorize such, Marquette is back on the main stage... if you want to throw tomatoes, go ahead; just don't get upset when we throw back.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2011, 11:08:28 AM »
The fact that we are in McGary's list and those of other top recruits shows we are on the Elite's radar.
Can't ask for better.. We have serious candidates looking closely and we will get our share going forward. The glass is half full

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2011, 11:10:40 AM »
The fact that we are in McGary's list and those of other top recruits shows we are on the Elite's radar.
Can't ask for better.. We have serious candidates looking closely and we will get our share going forward. The glass is half full

McGary just narrowed his list to 6 and we aren't on it.

But we are still definitely in the mix for Cleare, and some consider us the favorite for Dunn as well.