[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: midnight express 2022  (Read 2255 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
midnight express 2022
« on: March 05, 2022, 06:36:52 PM »
i don't know how many of you've seen the movie midnight express-billy hayes, a marquette univ. journalism student got caught trying to smuggle hash out of turkey in 1970...well i don't want to spoil it for ya, but anywhoo...great movie that will keep ya at the edge of your seat

flash forward-
    wnba's brittney griner is being detained in russia for allegedly trying to smuggle hash oil in vape cartridges...not very good timing to say the least

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/33429212/basketball-player-brittney-griner-reportedly-detained-russia-wnba-representatives-working-get-home
don't...don't don't don't don't

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: midnight express 2022
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 06:47:13 PM »
We had Billy speak at Marquette in the 83-84 year. Got to have dinner with him. Interesting guy. He was an actor in NYC at the time.
His talk was on personal responsibility. Great talk for a guy who never publicly spoke before then.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 07:11:27 PM »
i can't believe griner stayed in russia this long.  i think we started issuing warnings to get the hell out around 3rd week of january

hash has always been big on the other side of the pond, surprised it never really caught on here.  i did not lead a sheltered existence by any means, but rarely saw much hash around these parts.  maybe because the penalties were pretty gosh darn harsh as billy would surely attest to.  however, that doesn't seem to stop the flow of stuff today

anyone know the difference between hash and good bud? in europe, they would dip their cigs into the oil.  i've only seen it as a crumbly, slightly sticky little nugget

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 08:19:41 PM »
anyone know the difference between hash and good bud? in europe, they would dip their cigs into the oil.  i've only seen it as a crumbly, slightly sticky little nugget

Hash usually refers to the more concentrated sap of the plant whereas weed is the dried flowers or buds of the plant. Hence why hash is usually in oils or pastes.  It’s actually become much more common and popular in the US as of late

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 08:21:04 PM »
Hash usually refers to the more concentrated sap of the plant whereas weed is the dried flowers or buds of the plant. Hence why hash is usually in oils or pastes.  It’s actually become much more common and popular in the US as of late

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2022, 09:33:00 PM »

More THC too. I think.

I just vape.👐

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 09:18:42 AM »
why in the H-E-double tooth picks was griner flying into moscow when there were warnings to get the front door out of that area due to imminent war?   she might as well had a scud missile in her duffle bag for criminee sakes. 

and now many prominent people are screaming that russia release her?  you know how many u.s. citizens are detained abroad who haven't had the luxury of having a congress person campaign for their release? 

i'm sure vlad has this one on his list of things to do this week-

1) wake up-have a black/white russian

2) drop a stink pickle

3) have another black/white russian

4) watch replays of russian weight lifters most memorable moments

5) check ballistic missile supplies

6) review nuclear codes tattooed on back of his hand

7) have another black/white russian

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 11:00:12 AM »
why in the H-E-double tooth picks was griner flying into moscow when there were warnings to get the front door out of that area due to imminent war?   she might as well had a scud missile in her duffle bag for criminee sakes. 

and now many prominent people are screaming that russia release her?  you know how many u.s. citizens are detained abroad who haven't had the luxury of having a congress person campaign for their release? 

I’m not defending Griner being a moron with the hash oil, but she plays in Russia and makes likely 3-4x her WNBA salary per season in doing so.  So I can kind of see why she was headed back. Also, didn’t we establish this was 3 weeks ago, so before things got REAL hairy?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 12:55:05 PM »
We had Billy speak at Marquette in the 83-84 year. Got to have dinner with him. Interesting guy. He was an actor in NYC at the time.
His talk was on personal responsibility. Great talk for a guy who never publicly spoke before then.

I was in the ASMU office when the Major Speaker Commissioner decided on a lark to try to find him to invite him to campus. Even though we had a budget to pay him, he offered to come just for reimbursement of his travel expenses.

It was the largest crowd in the Varsity since the Romantics concert.
Have some patience, FFS.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2022, 06:15:39 PM »
I was in the ASMU office when the Major Speaker Commissioner decided on a lark to try to find him to invite him to campus. Even though we had a budget to pay him, he offered to come just for reimbursement of his travel expenses.

IIRC, that “lark” was after a very long and detailed meeting……at the mug rack.  ;D
And Billy was annoyed with his mom for giving us his phone number.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2022, 06:25:53 PM »
Billy was a classmate and a friend.  remember an NIT where 16 of us shared a room at the Roosevelt in New York. It was a mob scene. I think it was Villanova students literally trashing the place all weekend. Televisions out the window, people breaking up the place. No MU students involved, though.
Met Billy at 6:30 a.m. at an Irish pub for "eye openers" before the championship game. At one point he and I vowed to streak MSG if we won. Thought it was a good idea at the time.
Plenty of hash around in those days. Wonder where that came from?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2022, 06:30:57 PM »
Billy was a classmate and a friend.  remember an NIT where 16 of us shared a room at the Roosevelt in New York. It was a mob scene. I think it was Villanova students literally trashing the place all weekend. Televisions out the window, people breaking up the place. No MU students involved, though.
Met Billy at 6:30 a.m. at an Irish pub for "eye openers" before the championship game. At one point he and I vowed to streak MSG if we won. Thought it was a good idea at the time.
Plenty of hash around in those days. Wonder where that came from?
That’s awesome.
He told us some interesting stories at dinner.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2022, 05:55:50 AM »
I’m not defending Griner being a moron with the hash oil, but she plays in Russia and makes likely 3-4x her WNBA salary per season in doing so.  So I can kind of see why she was headed back. Also, didn’t we establish this was 3 weeks ago, so before things got REAL hairy?

the US started to issue "get out" orders the end of january(jan 23rd to be exact)

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2022, 10:00:07 AM »

That Romantics concert was awesome.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2022, 03:50:15 PM »

You can thank Glow for that. He produced it.
Have some patience, FFS.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2022, 04:16:59 PM »
Thank you, Glow!  That was one of my favorite things to happen during my 4 years at MU.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2022, 04:23:40 PM »

I remember watching the upper deck move during What I Like About You. We were a bit worried.

I have a signed ticket from that concert. And not signed by some schleppy musician. Signed by the man, the legend, Glow!

And IIRC, another Glow production was Jeff Lorber Fusion, with some little known guy in the band playing sax. Kenny something or another. And wasn't Dizzy one of his too? 

Yep, Glow was the best major concert guy!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2022, 10:21:55 PM »
I remember watching the upper deck move during What I Like About You. We were a bit worried.

I have a signed ticket from that concert. And not signed by some schleppy musician. Signed by the man, the legend, Glow!

And IIRC, another Glow production was Jeff Lorber Fusion, with some little known guy in the band playing sax. Kenny something or another. And wasn't Dizzy one of his too? 

Yep, Glow was the best major concert guy!

Lol. I remember going through all of our LPs years later and pulling one out that had a young guy with a big white guy afro clutching a tenor sax on the cover.

"Glow, where did you get this?"

"Oh, some dude in the Jeff Lorber Band gave it to me because he released a solo album. I just took it to be polite."

"Glow, it's Kenny G."
Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2022, 04:49:16 AM »
South Side Johnny

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2022, 11:19:50 PM »
Lol. I remember going through all of our LPs years later and pulling one out that had a young guy with a big white guy afro clutching a tenor sax on the cover.

"Glow, where did you get this?"

"Oh, some dude in the Jeff Lorber Band gave it to me because he released a solo album. I just took it to be polite."

"Glow, it's Kenny G."

You are not helping my claim, you know.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2022, 02:23:13 PM »
Glow and I were in a restaurant this morning and the ambient music included a smooth jazz version of "Talking in your Sleep".

Our conversation was about whether The Romantics would have cringed when they heard it, or be stoked that they were earning royalties.
Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2022, 02:30:30 PM »
Glow and I were in a restaurant this morning and the ambient music included a smooth jazz version of "Talking in your Sleep".

Our conversation was about whether The Romantics would have cringed when they heard it, or be stoked that they were earning royalties.

A bunch of guys in the mid to late 60s who haven't had a hit in 40 years?  I imagine they are more interested in the checks the the musical integrity at this point.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2022, 04:30:58 PM »

If it was well done I'm sure they would've liked it and be stoked about the royalties.  When the Australian boy band 5 Seconds of Summer covered their hit "What I Like About You" in 2014 I remember the Romantics both praised and promoted it on social media. Those guys are pretty big music fans and appreciate other genres.  But yeah, royalties are royalties.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2022, 09:48:25 PM »

Many years ago, before smart phones , we met with SOCAN, the Canadian version of BMI, the music royalty group.
They were explaining the business model and challenges. They explained how artists were needing information and they used an example where someone would call and ask constantly about their payment and usage. They would say let’s pick a random example, they would always use Randy Bachman of BTO and The Guess Who. They would say “let’s say for example that he calls…EVERY MONTH and want exact details. I’m guessing they were over taking his calls.

Strangely enough, it also explained why Dennis Rodman got arrested at a Newport Beach bar for dancing. A mutual friend of chick and mine was almost arrested for the exact same reason at the exact same bar.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2022, 07:57:12 AM »

Muzak is alive and well.