collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1121661 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #2850 on: March 31, 2020, 05:41:49 PM »
Masks now may be required recommended in this country, when a month ago the experts said it would do no good.

FTFY.
Also, the issue never was that "They would do no good," but rather there was (and is) a shortage of masks and the experts wanted them on the faces of those who needed them most.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2851 on: March 31, 2020, 05:44:29 PM »
FTFY.
Also, the issue never was that "They would do no good," but rather there was (and is) a shortage of masks and the experts wanted them on the faces of those who needed them most.

Actually there was info refuting the mask as an effective preventative.  I think the WHO still takes this position.

Knowing what we know about the asymptomatic though.  I don’t know why we don’t all slap one on as soon as the shortage is done. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2852 on: March 31, 2020, 06:11:03 PM »
Actually there was info refuting the mask as an effective preventative.  I think the WHO still takes this position.

Knowing what we know about the asymptomatic though.  I don’t know why we don’t all slap one on as soon as the shortage is done.

Agreed - as soon as the shortage has passed...or right now if we (or someone we know) can make one at home.

At the very least, they would very likely make us less likely to spread the virus if we have it. At best, they might also prevent us from getting sick. Seems like there's no reason not to wear one, as long as you can get it without keeping it away from those who really need them.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2853 on: March 31, 2020, 06:11:48 PM »

Here's what WHO said Monday:

"There is no specific evidence to suggest that the wearing of masks by the mass population has any potential benefit. In fact, there's some evidence to suggest the opposite in the misuse of wearing a mask properly or fitting it properly," Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the WHO health emergencies program, said at a media briefing in Geneva, Switzerland, on Monday.
"There also is the issue that we have a massive global shortage," Ryan said about masks and other medical supplies. "Right now the people most at risk from this virus are frontline health workers who are exposed to the virus every second of every day. The thought of them not having masks is horrific."

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #2854 on: March 31, 2020, 06:17:22 PM »
Here's what WHO said Monday:

"There is no specific evidence to suggest that the wearing of masks by the mass population has any potential benefit. In fact, there's some evidence to suggest the opposite in the misuse of wearing a mask properly or fitting it properly," Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the WHO health emergencies program, said at a media briefing in Geneva, Switzerland, on Monday.
"There also is the issue that we have a massive global shortage," Ryan said about masks and other medical supplies. "Right now the people most at risk from this virus are frontline health workers who are exposed to the virus every second of every day. The thought of them not having masks is horrific."
I have read in several places the biggest thing is not being familier with the mask will cause us to touch our face more.  so along the same lines as above

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2855 on: March 31, 2020, 06:26:31 PM »
I have read in several places the biggest thing is not being familier with the mask will cause us to touch our face more.  so along the same lines as above

Seems dismissive right?  Did they control their face touching research contemplating behavior in a worldwide pandemic.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #2856 on: March 31, 2020, 06:42:40 PM »
i agree people touch there face regardless so the extra protection cannot hurt.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2857 on: March 31, 2020, 08:17:21 PM »
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/1244818145275260929?s=19

Excellent thread on current data, what is going on in the White house and future expectations

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2858 on: March 31, 2020, 11:46:31 PM »
How do you not let the virus spark up again? That's the question for the future. The answer is to kill the virus e.g. realize a vaccine. If that could truly be more than a year away, we're doomed.

If we're simply delaying the virus hitting people and just trying to flatten the curve, then the fact that NYC is at one point on this journey and others are different is very important.

How can we imagine big public events, sporting events and such to resume in the next year+ with the amount of travel going on?

Maybe the reality is that most people have to get the virus, fight through and we hope they win. It's just a healthcare capacity issue. Some get it early, we stall (like in MN's case)... see what happens... and go from there.

That may mean 'normal' is many, many months off. Social distancing 4 life
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2859 on: March 31, 2020, 11:58:08 PM »
How do you not let the virus spark up again? That's the question for the future. The answer is to kill the virus e.g. realize a vaccine. If that could truly be more than a year away, we're doomed.

If we're simply delaying the virus hitting people and just trying to flatten the curve, then the fact that NYC is at one point on this journey and others are different is very important.

How can we imagine big public events, sporting events and such to resume in the next year+ with the amount of travel going on?

Maybe the reality is that most people have to get the virus, fight through and we hope they win. It's just a healthcare capacity issue. Some get it early, we stall (like in MN's case)... see what happens... and go from there.

I think this is all correct. And the capacity issue is greater than the ability to care for COVID patients - it impacts others receiving vital care who might otherwise be turned away or become COVID patients themselves.

Hard to believe that any sporting events resume with that in mind. I understand organizations stretching this out as long as possible, but I just don't see how it happens. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2860 on: April 01, 2020, 12:11:19 AM »

My pet peeve.

It is "physical" distancing.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2861 on: April 01, 2020, 12:19:16 AM »
My pet peeve.

It is "physical" distancing.

Great input. If we're near each other there will be no physical distancing.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2862 on: April 01, 2020, 05:45:19 AM »

China still hasn’t restarted sports despite efforts to do so and recently closed their movie theaters for a second time.  That should tell us something. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2863 on: April 01, 2020, 07:09:11 AM »
I think this is all correct. And the capacity issue is greater than the ability to care for COVID patients - it impacts others receiving vital care who might otherwise be turned away or become COVID patients themselves.

Hard to believe that any sporting events resume with that in mind. I understand organizations stretching this out as long as possible, but I just don't see how it happens.

Play without fans present

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2864 on: April 01, 2020, 07:15:50 AM »
Social distancing 4 life

An introverts dream

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2865 on: April 01, 2020, 07:24:10 AM »

It takes about 18 months to develop and implement a vaccine. Super fast tracked is still likely 2021.

You may want to adjust your schedule accordingly when it comes to big public events and sports.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 08:15:11 AM by shoothoops »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2866 on: April 01, 2020, 08:03:49 AM »
A larger hope is that we have so many carriers who show no symptoms, or mild symptoms, that herd immunity becomes a thing earlier than we think.

But yeah I am having a tough time understanding how we are going to have sporting events with live audiences in a couple of months. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2867 on: April 01, 2020, 08:09:14 AM »
Obviously I'm no epidemiologist, but I'm thinking absolute best case is Nov/Dec in terms of sports going ahead with fans.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #2868 on: April 01, 2020, 08:17:13 AM »
Obviously I'm no epidemiologist, but I'm thinking absolute best case is Nov/Dec in terms of sports going ahead with fans.

Last night on NBC a DR talked about a 2nd wave coming in the fall when schools are back in session.  The idea is by then they understand how to care for people who are sick and the 2nd wave is not nearly as taxing as the first.

The real question is how many of those that are in ICU/hospitals are older or have prior conditions?  Does the next year mean they are told to stay home and the rest who can for the most part fight off this virus without major problems go about our business.
That means a lot of missed time with loved ones but we cant all live in a bubble for over a year.
I know we have cases of healthy 30 year olds going to ICU but how rare are those?

• All American
« Reply #2869 on: April 01, 2020, 08:17:34 AM »
A good friend of mine has a past life as a public health professional.  She thinks we will gradually see bans lifted starting in May (restaurants open, smaller events allowed) running through to September when large crowds will be allowed.

Her theory is that we have way more assymptomatic and mildly symptomatic carriers than we are measuring, meaning we will gain a degree of herd immunity over the summer.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2870 on: April 01, 2020, 08:40:12 AM »

That may mean 'normal' is many, many months off.

Yep. Maybe people will figure out ways to get a few of the currently closed businesses back open here and there, but any large-scale reopening of shuttered businesses, or any events with big crowds, are still months away.

As far as sports, I'm betting the NBA is done for the year, and MLB might go without any season at all. They may even need to delay (gasp!) the NFL.

IMHO, the best way to get out of this economically might be a government-run "New Deal" type of program. Find the people who have had the illness (either through positive test and then recovery, or by presence of antibodies after an asymptomatic infection), and then put any who are unemployed to work rebuilding our roads and bridges, maybe building solar and wind facilities, etc. Obviously that would take larger scale testing and then training for new jobs, but that way, we fix infrastructure issues we have been facing for years, get people back to work, and hopefully rebuild the economy.

• All American
« Reply #2871 on: April 01, 2020, 08:43:33 AM »

Yep. Maybe people will figure out ways to get a few of the currently closed businesses back open here and there, but any large-scale reopening of shuttered businesses, or any events with big crowds, are still months away.

As far as sports, I'm betting the NBA is done for the year, and MLB might go without any season at all. They may even need to delay (gasp!) the NFL.

IMHO, the best way to get out of this economically might be a government-run "New Deal" type of program. Find the people who have had the illness (either through positive test and then recovery, or by presence of antibodies after an asymptomatic infection), and then put any who are unemployed to work rebuilding our roads and bridges, maybe building solar and wind facilities, etc. Obviously that would take larger scale testing and then training for new jobs, but that way, we fix infrastructure issues we have been facing for years, get people back to work, and hopefully rebuild the economy.

IMO, society as a whole will make the calculation that more deaths are worth the trade offs for additional freedoms long before then.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2872 on: April 01, 2020, 08:49:55 AM »

IMO, society as a whole will make the calculation that more deaths are worth the trade offs for additional freedoms long before then.

I suppose anything is possible. But by then, many (most?) of us might have friends or family members who have been killed by the virus. If it hits home like that, it might make the "let's get back to business now" crowd take pause.

Either way, we are in for a long and bumpy ride.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2873 on: April 01, 2020, 08:59:11 AM »

Widespread, point of care testing is a huge part of it. Once we are past the worst of the curve, and we can test anyone on demand, we may start to slowly resume some normal activities.

If we can test people and get results within 15 minutes, certain businesses may be able to reopen. Schools might be able to reopen, if we can test all the kids before they enter.

I agree with you though, some things, like sports with stadiums full of thousands of people, will not be possible until there is a vaccine (or herd immunity). We might be able to resume with empty stadiums though, if we can test all the athletes before competition begins.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 09:04:35 AM by Coleman »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2874 on: April 01, 2020, 09:00:54 AM »
A good friend of mine has a past life as a public health professional.  She thinks we will gradually see bans lifted starting in May (restaurants open, smaller events allowed) running through to September when large crowds will be allowed.

Her theory is that we have way more assymptomatic and mildly symptomatic carriers than we are measuring, meaning we will gain a degree of herd immunity over the summer.

Results out of Iceland, which is doing massive randomize testing, suggest 50% of infected are asymptomatic.

I think we might get herd immunity before a vaccine is available, like by fall.