[Today at 03:07:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 01:57:59 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: No Sub for Markus at end  (Read 13924 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: No Sub for Markus at end
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2020, 07:47:22 AM »
Shooter

Great post and I agree.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2020, 07:59:41 AM »
People actually think are our offense has been the problem the last 5 games?

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2020, 09:09:08 AM »
People actually think are our offense has been the problem the last 5 games?

Definitely offense and defense.  Better players make both look bad. 

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2020, 09:36:58 AM »
Definitely offense and defense.  Better players make both look bad.

Scored 1.18 PPP against the #17 defense in the country. Our offense looks bad only in context cause they have to score every other possession to keep us in games.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2020, 10:11:09 AM »
Not saying we would not have beaten a lesser team with Markus Howards offensive output yesterday.  Just not a first, second, or third place team.  Our other players did not support defensively or offensively him no matter how good our ppp looked. 

Play like we did yesterday against St. John’s and DePaul we should win with that ppp.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2020, 10:35:29 AM »
I do wonder if you are on to something.   IIRC, neither Jayce nor Sacar thanked any coach.  Markus did call out Wojo and the video cut to him.  He seemed .. stoic, zero reaction.

I suppose that could be due to losing 4 of 5 games, plus laying a sizable egg in front of a packed crowd celebrating MU's top scorer in history.

Neither Jayce or Sacar thanked his parents either.  What does that mean? 

Seton Hall was very good yesterday, the egg our team laid was because of how well Seton Hall shot yesterday.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2020, 11:21:13 AM »
How do you know it was mismanaged? Maybe if Wojo placated the Hausers a bunch of people would have left and then Sam and Joey could have been surrounded by grad transfers from the American East and we can be talking about CBI.
If we had Markus and Sam and Joey we would be in the NCAAs even if we had an exodus of other players.  It was mismanaged to get to the point that it as an issue at all. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2020, 11:30:29 AM »
Not saying we would not have beaten a lesser team with Markus Howards offensive output yesterday.  Just not a first, second, or third place team.  Our other players did not support defensively or offensively him no matter how good our ppp looked. 

Play like we did yesterday against St. John’s and DePaul we should win with that ppp.

The offense yesterday, over the course of the season, would be the best in the BE, by far. Defense is awful.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2020, 11:58:01 AM »
Fair enough.  Markus was outstanding.  Defense was bad. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2020, 12:01:23 PM »
How does Wojo brick that moment and not get him a standing O. Jesus.
Markus got his big ovation in the ceremony after the game. I sure that since you are such a good fan that you did not stay for this.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2020, 12:16:50 PM »
Markus got his big ovation in the ceremony after the game. I sure that since you are such a good fan that you did not stay for this.

If I were at the game I absolutely would have stayed. I would nit pass judgment on those who left, however. Personal choice.

It is virtually automatic on Senior Day for seniors to get subbed out one last time - at programs across the country. Hell coaches do it many times during regular season games to get acknowledgement for players who have had great games.

In the scheme of things was it a big deal?  No. However, in my opinion it shows someone being asleep at the wheel. Kind of like calling for a foul down the stretch in a tie game.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2020, 11:12:25 AM »
Coach Wojo brought Markus out of games for applause in other major performances.  Buffalo and other games, but Saturday he forgot or fell aslee at the wheel in his last game? 

This is a poor take. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2020, 11:15:29 AM »
Coach Wojo brought Markus out of games for applause in other major performances.  Buffalo and other games, but Saturday he forgot or fell aslee at the wheel in his last game? 

This is a poor take.

It was a two possession game almost till the end.

Poor take on your poor take.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2020, 11:52:28 AM »
It was a two possession game almost till the end.

Poor take on your poor take.
Didn't we still have a timeout left?  I checked the ESPN game log and we only called 3 timeouts, one of which was in the first half, so unless that is wrong we could have used it to get the seniors their in game ovation.  I was surprised when we didn't call timeout when we had the ball under 10 seconds.  That is the only time it would have made sense.  I would have rather we had done it, but not worth getting worked up over, especially if you have a post game ceremony planned.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2020, 11:53:41 AM »
What if Markus wanted to finish the game...his home career...ON the court not the bench?

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2020, 01:16:01 PM »
It was a 5 point game with about 30 seconds to go, Marquette was suddenly hot, and Seton Hall had missed the last three front ends of the 1-and-1.  Markus had been lights out all day and Sacar, I think, was the one who hit the three to make it a 5 point game.  At that point, I had completely forgotten about ovations or anything but MU getting back in the game.  The last few possessions for both teams were a jumbled mess, and then time ran out.

I criticize Wojo a lot, but I’m okay with not getting Markus or the other seniors a standing ovation with six seconds left or whatever it was.  Most of the crowd was leaving at that point anyway, and the ones still there were probably too deflated to manage a standing O, mostly due to the little run Marquette made that ultimately failed.  I have no problem with the way the game ended as far as Senior Day stuff is concerned.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2020, 01:21:03 PM »
Markus came out at about the 1:29 mark. I stood and applauded because I figured that was it. No one else was standing and applauding. Markus was only out for a foul/defensive situation and he came right back in. I think fans were not even worried about the last time on the floor since no one really applauded when he came out that late in the game.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2020, 01:22:25 PM »
What if Markus wanted to finish the game...his home career...ON the court not the bench?

His last home game is tomorrow night...oh wait.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2020, 01:39:48 PM »
His last home game is tomorrow night...oh wait.

Brilliant

T.V. Diener 34

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2020, 01:45:50 PM »
Some pretty boys like many here were berating Howard's parents, shouting crap at them. When TV did a closeup of them Howard's mother looked really uncomfortable. Must have been great for the recruits and families all sitting by them. Yes this fan base is $hit.

Nobody was berating Howard's parents... there was one guy yelling things at Wojo for a long period of time (asking for Stan to take over for Wojo and basically calling Wojo a bad coach) and eventually Howard's parents had enough and his dad calmly went to talk to the guy.  I overheard Howard's dad saying something to the effect that he was trying to enjoy his son's last home game and he was making it very hard for him to do that.  Then Howard's mom walked up and basically said if you're that unhappy why don't you just leave the game and that we don't need fans like you.  A few minutes later an usher walked up to the fan and told him she needed to talk to him in the hallway so the fan got up and walked out and never came back.  This was in section 117 FWIW.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2020, 01:49:15 PM »
Nobody was berating Howard's parents... there was one guy yelling things at Wojo for a long period of time (asking for Stan to take over for Wojo and basically calling Wojo a bad coach) and eventually Howard's parents had enough and his dad calmly went to talk to the guy.  I overheard Howard's dad saying something to the effect that he was trying to enjoy his son's last home game and he was making it very hard for him to do that.  Then Howard's mom walked up and basically said if you're that unhappy why don't you just leave the game and that we don't need fans like you.  A few minutes later an usher walked up to the fan and told him she needed to talk to him in the hallway so the fan got up and walked out and never came back.  This was in section 117 FWIW.

This is what my GF told me happened and she was right over there.
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2020, 01:52:46 PM »

For a transcript of what was said, please just review Elonsmusk’s posts.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2020, 01:53:11 PM »
Correct, every player not named Markus was off their game yesterday.  Unfortunately that is going to happen most games when we play elite teams because better talent makes lesser talent look really bad at all levels of basketball.  Markus is the only player Seton Hall would take on their team without blinking.  The rest of their players are simply better than ours and if our players not named Markus shoot 20% from the field we will lose every time.  It’s not that good teams scheme us better. They are simply better.

+1

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2020, 02:30:54 PM »

WTF is wrong with people

T.V. Diener 34

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2020, 02:39:08 PM »
WTF is wrong with people

Especially cringe worthy knowing that all of the recruits were right in front of Howard's parents so they obviously heard this dude as well.  I never understood being so discontent that you still want to go to the game and just shout the entire time to ruin everyone else's game experience.  Once this dude started he legit would not shut up.  And this was not some immature young kid, the dude looked to be in his 50's.

feedback