'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shakahowski  (Read 34078 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Shakahowski
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2022, 09:52:59 AM »
You thought this team should have been FF-caliber? lol

This team shouldn't lose to any non-NBA team by 32 points.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2022, 10:28:09 AM »
This was mentioned elsewhere.  But he intentionally kept Elliott, Lewis, and Oso.  Re-recruited Kam and Stevie.  Brought Eliis, Joplin, and Itejere from his TX class, and got Morsell, Kur, Omax and Kolek from the portal.  And started on Mar 26, 2021.  1 year ago in 7 days. 

This was the team his choose.  Not some middle of the summer hire that had to throw things together.

I expect he'll get better rosters, but the narrative that he was forced to throw this one together is false.

It's odd how you nitpick Shaka, yet were a Projo for so many years.  What's up with that?  Btw, Wojo took over on April Fools Day and wasn't some middle of the summer hire that had to throw things together.  If memory serves correct we didn't make the NIT in Year 1 or 2 and finished 4-14, 8-10 in Big East in Years 1 and 2 with KenPom ranks of 93 and 97.  Yet you still were on his bandwagon 5 years in.  Odd.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2022, 10:35:35 AM »
Hm, is anybody writing off Shaka for one game?  No.  There's a lot more of Shaka's history to evaluate.

I'm also not writing off Shaka at all.  He gets 2 more years to prove he *still* belongs with the big boys.  But lets not pretend that we're dealing with an unknown assistant that needs time to grow like our previous coach.

Just saw this.  Got it.  20 years as an assistant under the man who is considered to be the best college basketball coach of all-time wasn't enough time to "grow."  So, in Year 7 of the Wojo regime, the 6 years of "growth" time as head coach really paid dividends and his coaching chops really improved, right?

I'm 100% on board with Shaka and have his 4th year as the year the "benchmark" year to get a feel for where the program's trajectory/potential are under his leadership. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2022, 10:59:47 AM »
Just saw this.  Got it.  20 years as an assistant under the man who is considered to be the best college basketball coach of all-time wasn't enough time to "grow."  So, in Year 7 of the Wojo regime, the 6 years of "growth" time as head coach really paid dividends and his coaching chops really improved, right?

I'm 100% on board with Shaka and have his 4th year as the year the "benchmark" year to get a feel for where the program's trajectory/potential are under his leadership.

Can't believe this needs to be said, but  ... Wojo should not be the baseline by which we judge Shaka.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2022, 12:07:56 PM »
It seems unanimous that Shaka is a better coach than Wojo.
But can he recruit players with high enough skill and talent to play even against the top 1/3 of schools in the power conferences?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 12:15:31 PM by NCMUFan »

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2022, 12:54:21 PM »

Fantastic.  By the end of Shaka’s 4th year we’ll potentially had 12 seasons of less than acceptable results.   Just wait it out until then and see how it goes. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2022, 02:15:49 PM »

It's amazing that you can't accept that different situations deserve different judgements.  You're free to have your opinion on timeline - I certainly know better than to ever try to convince you to change your mind. Mine is Shaka better have at least one NCAA win after 3 years. 

If he's the coach and recruiter you proclaim, that shouldn't be a problem and it's not an issue.   But then he's only got another few years after that to exceed that "single NCAA win" metric. 

This isn't hard.  Those are my expectations.  If yours are lower, so be it.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2022, 02:21:20 PM »
I just want 2012 Marquette back please.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2022, 02:31:22 PM »
I just want 2012 Marquette back please.

Minus the multiple sexual assaults and a coach helping to make sure all his guys have the same story before any investigations are performed. If we need to have that to have the on court results, I’d take Wojo 100 times out of 100.

I think Shaka can be a happy medium.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2022, 04:44:50 PM »
Wonder what the PG position would have looked like had DJ Carton bought in and stuck with Shaka. His departure was unexpected as I recall.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2022, 04:48:55 PM »
Wonder what the PG position would have looked like had DJ Carton bought in and stuck with Shaka. His departure was unexpected as I recall.

Tell me you’re ok with Marquette continuing to be mediocre without saying your ok with Marquette continuing to be mediocre.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2022, 10:01:44 PM »
Wojo could recruit but seemed to lack coaching skill.
Shaka can coach but can he recruit the players to be in the top 1/3 of the Big East?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2022, 05:57:19 AM »
Any questioning if Shaka can recruit at a high level obviously has not been watching college basketball the past eight years.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #163 on: March 21, 2022, 07:13:17 AM »
Any questioning if Shaka can recruit at a high level obviously has not been watching college basketball the past eight years.

Yep yep.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #164 on: March 21, 2022, 07:57:20 AM »
100000%, I cannot seriously believe people are questioning Shaka's recruiting abilities.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #165 on: March 21, 2022, 07:59:18 AM »

So no one should question his recruiting because of his past eight years but also no one needs to worry about his ability to achieve success at Marquette despite his underwhelming success the last 8 years.  Ok, got it.   Just want to make sure I know the rules for the next 4 years while we continue to be patient and wait for next year. 

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2022, 08:04:20 AM »
I’m concerned about Shaka’s recruiting at MU …

The 3 freshmen are 3 star / not even top 100 type recruits.  Will need lots of time to develop… if they can … into top half of BE talent

He needs a REAL center ( big , strong, can rebound) and another player out of the portal

Goose

• All American
« Reply #167 on: March 21, 2022, 08:05:50 AM »
Farley

My response was off the comment that Shaka can coach and Wojo can recruit. Very simple reply on my part, Shaka can recruit. You are free to question whatever you want to question.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #168 on: March 21, 2022, 08:06:18 AM »
One year and we way overachieved and there is an argument about Shaka’s coaching abilities already. Can we have at least two years? 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #169 on: March 21, 2022, 08:08:02 AM »
One year and we way overachieved and there is an argument about Shaka’s coaching abilities already. Can we have at least two years?

No
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2022, 08:17:59 AM »
Wojo could recruit but seemed to lack coaching skill.
Shaka can coach but can he recruit the players to be in the top 1/3 of the Big East?
Shaka’s coaching was a mixed bag, imo. Good…’Nova games. SH games. Illinois. Bad? At UW. UCLA. Creighton games. UConn games. At Butler. At DeP. UNC.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2022, 08:19:30 AM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #172 on: March 21, 2022, 08:23:10 AM »
Shaka’s coaching was a mixed bag, imo. Good…’Nova games. SH games. Illinois. Bad? At UW. UCLA. Creighton games. UConn games. At Butler. At DeP. UNC.

All losses aren’t because of the coach.  Sometimes, the other team is better on a given night or better in general.  Just like wins aren’t all because of the coach.

The cult of the coach when evaluating sports is still baffling.  I’m no Greg Gard fan but seeing Badger fans blast him today is incredible
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #173 on: March 21, 2022, 09:18:42 AM »

Sure, but recruiting to Texas and recruiting to Marquette are different animals.
Ben Howland regularly recruited top 5-10 recruiting classes to UCLA. His best class at Mississippi State was ranked 10th - largely on the strength of 7 members - and he had only one other top 20 class in seven seasons.
I do believe Shaka will be able to recruit to MU, but it's not insane to suggest he still needs to prove it.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #174 on: March 21, 2022, 09:34:05 AM »
Sure, but recruiting to Texas and recruiting to Marquette are different animals.
Ben Howland regularly recruited top 5-10 recruiting classes to UCLA. His best class at Mississippi State was ranked 10th - largely on the strength of 7 members - and he had only one other top 20 class in seven seasons.
I do believe Shaka will be able to recruit to MU, but it's not insane to suggest he still needs to prove it.

Correct,  this isn’t a hard concept to get.  Good news is we’ll find out soon if Shaka can recruit to MU.  Next years transfers in and the 2023 verbals will be coming in shortly.