[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:37:37 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shakahowski  (Read 34206 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Shakahowski
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2022, 12:03:00 AM »
He had a few months to slap a roster together and made the tourney.  It’s going to be ok.  The future is still bright.  We will all feel better heading into next season in Shaka’s second year.  But yes, today was an evisceration.

Slapping a roster together might be Shaka’s  biggest downfall.  The 5 freshman really did not work.  Itejere time will tell, Ellis showed nothing, Joplin has some O but no D, Kam good shooter but not quick, and Mitchell showed some improvement but not sure where he fits with Jones and Kolek.  It will be very interesting to see Shaka put together a new roster next year. Some have to go.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2022, 12:06:21 AM »
This right here.  Still hard to fathom how the team seemingly regressed so much down the stretch…

Maybe all those years under Wojo and the first year under Shaka the coaches were getting the most out of their teams originally. and then the talent level wasn’t good enough to continue development over the remainder of the season. 

We need more talent. 

Just a thought.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2022, 12:37:17 AM »
Just curious, why are you skeptical of Shaka?

Let me clarify, seems like a good guy, his players seem to like him, doesn't seem like he'll get MU in trouble.  That part is fine.
 I'm skeptical about his potential for the results Marquette fans want.  It's been mentioned several times already, but since his First-Four to Final-Four run, he's won two NCAA games in 11 years.  He's now won zero in 9 years.  6 of those years he was at a program that has more resources, support, and cachet than Marquette.

I hope he's the right guy, and picks it up the next couple years.  I'm with you there, however given past results, I'm not optimistic that it will happen.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2022, 10:52:58 AM »
Should we talk about how this team had a habit of rolling over and dying in games down the stretch when the going got tough?
The lack of composure today was as ugly as the lack of execution.

This is the most confounding part of the season from my point of view.  Early in the year, there were some key victories in games where they fell behind but they maintained their poise, made adjustments and won.  At one point, games where they fell behind were a comfortable watch.  It felt like the comeback run was just a matter of time.

Something clearly changed with the team in February around the @UConn and @Butler games.  Down the stretch they really struggled to play from behind.  The team defense fell apart.  Guys lost their composure.  Yesterday's boat racing was the culmination.

The talent issue is enigmatic.  There was an obvious talent gap that we saw at the end of the year. But how was it that they performed the way they did when they won 7 conference games in a row, ran the gauntlet and were ranked in the top 20?  Did the talent evaporate in February?  Were guys playing hurt and not telling anyone? Was Shaka unable to make counter adjustments when teams started playing them differently? Did the players commitment to the system and style of play that brought them success early in the season change?

If it's the last item, that's a major issue.  I hammered Wojo for losing his teams, and the same would be an enormous red flag on Shaka moving forward.  To me that's about as damning an accusation for a head coach that there is, especially with this being his first season and how we were told the big focus of this season was building culture.  I'm not ready to go there yet, not without evidence. But something clearly happened.

I still think the future is bright, but the expectations will be higher.  I'm very interested to see how Shaka approaches his first full offseason/recruiting cycle and how he builds a roster over the long term.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2022, 02:58:59 PM »
How is one rebuilding year proof of that? Everyone who was decent left. I’m honestly curious how this year can be compared to a guy having his own upper class men in a program.
Uh oh. Here comes the old Wojo-Dukiet mantra. Need time to develop his own players, say 3 plus years, which then becomes 7 years.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2022, 03:10:16 PM »
Most of you on here are a joke and completely detached from reality.

Before the season, we were talking about a rebuilding year given the team turnover and need to adapt to a new system for essentially all the players.

We then went out and had a great season with the youngest team in the Big East.  If you want to talk about a "fade", it's a good bet it had something to do with being so young.

Yes, we got our asses kicked in the tournament but anyone here who would consider this season, with this team, a disappointment and worthy of the crap on this thread needs serious help.
Wrong. What many here likely expected was for the team to improve as the season went on. That did not happen, culminated by the final 2 games. Shaka did not have the team progressing. Time to clear the decks and get better talent.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2022, 03:37:44 PM »
So, William...

If MU started 7-14… won 8 of their last 10, you'd be happier because they showed improvement?

Viper

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2022, 04:01:22 PM »
So, William...

If MU started 7-14… won 8 of their last 10, you'd be happier because they showed improvement?
from improvement would spring optimism. The traditional fade culminating in an epic whoop ass springs frustration, dismay, pessimism etc. Rebuilding from a rebuild, again.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2022, 04:07:39 PM »
So, William...

While this would be deemed a less successful season, it might mean a more successful future.  A lot depends on how those last 8 out of 10 wins transpired.   Did the team play well, were they against good opponents, did young players contribute and improve?   Not sure how anyone can feel good about the future given how the season ended.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2022, 04:22:49 PM »
This is the most confounding part of the season from my point of view.  Early in the year, there were some key victories in games where they fell behind but they maintained their poise, made adjustments and won.  At one point, games where they fell behind were a comfortable watch.  It felt like the comeback run was just a matter of time.

Something clearly changed with the team in February around the @UConn and @Butler games.  Down the stretch they really struggled to play from behind.  The team defense fell apart.  Guys lost their composure.  Yesterday's boat racing was the culmination.

The talent issue is enigmatic.  There was an obvious talent gap that we saw at the end of the year. But how was it that they performed the way they did when they won 7 conference games in a row, ran the gauntlet and were ranked in the top 20?  Did the talent evaporate in February?  Were guys playing hurt and not telling anyone? Was Shaka unable to make counter adjustments when teams started playing them differently? Did the players commitment to the system and style of play that brought them success early in the season change?

If it's the last item, that's a major issue.  I hammered Wojo for losing his teams, and the same would be an enormous red flag on Shaka moving forward.  To me that's about as damning an accusation for a head coach that there is, especially with this being his first season and how we were told the big focus of this season was building culture.  I'm not ready to go there yet, not without evidence. But something clearly happened.

I still think the future is bright, but the expectations will be higher.  I'm very interested to see how Shaka approaches his first full offseason/recruiting cycle and how he builds a roster over the long term.

This is an excellent post

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2022, 04:25:21 PM »
The game yesterday was embarrassing but this roster was very flawed and once teams figured us out, we were not able to adjust.

This team needed a legitimate point guard and big man. 

Kolek was the answer for a little bit but as teams stopped helping out on Kolek's drives and forced him to shoot, it severely limited our offensive efficiency. 
Morsell was not the answer as a facilitating point guard. 
Kam was not the answer.
Stevie probably should have received more minutes.

At the 5, Kur was only good for blocks and Oso was over matched for much of the year.  You can get away with 5s with limited offensive games if they are great defenders and elite rebounders.  Both severely lack in those areas.

We were stuck with the roster we had and it was good enough to make the NCAA.  That is a positive.

Shaka is responsible and deserves blame, but he doesn't deserve to be written off.  Those that do are frankly idiots.  I saw a lot of good things from him and this group.  It's been years since I had an excitement regarding MU basketball.  I expect a lot more good times than bad over the next few years but if it doesn't happen, we will make a change and try to find someone else.  It's a process and I expect long term success.

hawk

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2022, 06:03:30 PM »
Wojo was never the devil and shaka was never a savior.  Kolek had 10 assists and no turnovers, what's not to like.  At the beginning of the year I was dismayed that Shake didn't get a true center to front for Kuath.  You can't win without a post presence.  All of MU's bigs are pipe cleaners, Lewis goes 245 and nobody else comes close.  On the upside everyone coming back will be older stronger and motivated.  Maybe everyone should take a breath and see what happens moving forward.

Smart clearly values steals, turnovers and deflections to rebounds, people wanted a coach with a vision and a recruiting plan, be careful what you wish for.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2022, 06:18:09 PM »
Kolek had 10 assists and no turnovers, what's not to like.

A 25% TO rate and .400 EFG
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2022, 06:25:07 PM »
He had a few months to slap a roster together and made the tourney.  It’s going to be ok.  The future is still bright.  We will all feel better heading into next season in Shaka’s second year.  But yes, today was an evisceration.

As much as it pains people, this was his team. Four starters were his guys. He brought three guys from his Texas recruiting class. He also decided to keep two guys from Wojo's class. He was a finalist for Oso so he must liked him. That's 10 guys. The two other holdovers were Justin and Greg. He had DJ and Dawson also but some reason both left. Whether it was their choice or Shaka's, it still falls on him. He also had one scholarship available that he didn't use.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2022, 06:37:28 PM »
It is possible for both statements above to be true at the same time. ^^

Yes it was his team, he absolutely chose all of the players on the roster.  The buck stops with him, 100%.  He also had limited time and options to put a roster together without the benefit of a full offseason, while simultaneously assembling a staff and adjusting to the job at a new school.

He bears responsibility for the shortcomings that are the result of the roster he put together for this past season.  But I am willing to bet he will do a better job of it moving forward.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Merit Matters

• Walk-On
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2022, 06:53:41 PM »
Texas got a nice tournament win I see… first year coach…
All Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2022, 06:56:49 PM »
Texas got a nice tournament win I see… first year coach…

Cool, story.  Hook ‘em
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2022, 06:57:39 PM »
Let me clarify, seems like a good guy, his players seem to like him, doesn't seem like he'll get MU in trouble.  That part is fine.
 I'm skeptical about his potential for the results Marquette fans want.  It's been mentioned several times already, but since his First-Four to Final-Four run, he's won two NCAA games in 11 years.  He's now won zero in 9 years.  6 of those years he was at a program that has more resources, support, and cachet than Marquette.

I hope he's the right guy, and picks it up the next couple years.  I'm with you there, however given past results, I'm not optimistic that it will happen.

Fair points Rocky. Truth be told, I was in the camp of a .500 season this year so I do think we surprised to the upside. Clearly the last few weeks have been very disappointing.

Let’s see how next season goes.

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2022, 07:05:55 PM »

A 25% TO rate and .400 EFG

Nice work Clarissa.  Are these stats true?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2022, 07:09:45 PM »
Nice work Clarissa.  Are these stats true?

The TO% was 24.6 for the year, but I rounded up.  .400 was spot on.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2022, 07:12:05 PM »

The TO% was 24.6 for the year, but I rounded up.  .400 was spot on.

Ok.  We need a new point guard!

Norm

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2022, 07:40:05 PM »

Those are my sentiments exactly. I was not that excited when he was hired based on his years at Texas. I wasn't too excited about the talent he brought in, but I hoped for the best and di enjoy the 7 game gauntlet. The team definitely regressed the final 10 games of the season and I'm not so sure we don't take a step back next year too. I hope I am wrong, but our talent level just does not compare well to other BE and NCAA tourney teams.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2022, 07:59:26 PM »
To me next year depends primarily on 3 factors:

1) Lewis and does he come back. Probably more likely he goes but I don’t see it as a sure thing. If he does come back having a potential BEPOY as a cornerstone is huge. If he goes it’s a big loss.

2) Transfer portal. We need at least one high impact transfer in, preferably two. This will be even more important if Lewis leaves.   We need an animal on the boards.

3) Internal development. OMax, Kam, Joplin, Oso, Stevie, Kolek. All of these guys have room to grow with different ceilings. Can one or more of them improve dramatically?  Can they all at the very least become more consistent?  Let’s see what kind of placer development we see over the summer. I don’t want to ignore Ellis here either but I’m not sure what his thoughts are in terms of staying at Marquette.

At this point I’m not counting on much from the incoming freshmen. It would be really nice if Jones can provide quality minutes at the 1. Hopefully there’s a pleasant surprise with this group.

There’s really a wide range of outcomes of what next season could look like. Hoping for the best.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2022, 08:27:26 PM »
Speaking with another alum at lunch and we agreed Shaka was our 3rd or 4th choice.  His time at Texas did not inspire confidence.  The team's play down the stretch was a red flag.

I still believe it takes 3 years to get a fully informed opinion.  At this point, my admittedly half-assed opinion is not positive.  I sincerely hope I am wrong.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2022, 08:39:17 PM »
So, William...

Think so. But that did not happen, did it? So that is a hypothetical, but we know what did happen. Including the last 2 games fiascos.

feedback