* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Explosions in Kiev  (Read 51445 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Explosions in Kiev
« Reply #600 on: March 08, 2022, 09:54:27 PM »
4 billion dead....hmm.  That's what will happen if we engage Putin at all during this war?  But if we wait and allow him to do whatever he wants, he won't attack Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Hungary Romania, etc?

I don't know what will happen. Just explaining why your point about 4 million refugees doesn't mean that the correct answer is direct conflict with the Russians.

I'm not convinced that Putin's victory in Ukraine would result in him attacking any other countries. I'm also not convinced that a no-fly zone over Ukraine would result in nuclear war.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #601 on: March 08, 2022, 09:55:52 PM »
Aren't there government regulations stopping them?
They are approved, permitted leases. There are additional regulatory steps along the way, but the issue is that it can take a year or more to get a field into production, and that doesn't even include determining whether there is enough extractible oil & gas on a lease to make drilling financially viable.

That's why in the short run the only solution is to get in bed with odious and morally questionable regimes who, for the moment at least--aren't invading sovereign countries and murdering their citizens.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #602 on: March 08, 2022, 10:06:42 PM »
I don't know what will happen. Just explaining why your point about 4 million refugees doesn't mean that the correct answer is direct conflict with the Russians.

I'm not convinced that Putin's victory in Ukraine would result in him attacking any other countries. I'm also not convinced that a no-fly zone over Ukraine would result in nuclear war.

Putin is going to lose and lose badly when it's all said and done, no matter how this completely plays out.  He grossly miscalculated  and I was wrong about how this would go early in  Ukraine.  At the same time I think his threats are just as dangerous if Ukrainians get MIG-29's vs a red-line situation. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #603 on: March 08, 2022, 10:12:12 PM »
They are approved, permitted leases. There are additional regulatory steps along the way, but the issue is that it can take a year or more to get a field into production, and that doesn't even include determining whether there is enough extractible oil & gas on a lease to make drilling financially viable.

That's why in the short run the only solution is to get in bed with odious and morally questionable regimes who, for the moment at least--aren't invading sovereign countries and murdering their citizens.

Well, I'm not well versed with the facts on this but there appears to be  political disagreement depending on what you read.  I do know that  Venezuelan oil is not exactly a thrilling idea if you're main goal is going green.  Short term yes, it will take time.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #604 on: March 08, 2022, 10:58:31 PM »
Well, I'm not well versed with the facts on this but there appears to be  political disagreement depending on what you read.  I do know that  Venezuelan oil is not exactly a thrilling idea if you're main goal is going green.  Short term yes, it will take time.

TSmith is right, there is nothing holding back oil companies. They have actually cut back (voluntarily) both new drilling, exploration, and production, and have made it clear that they have little to no interest in increasing investment in new drilling, exploration or production. The fact is, most of the oil fields are largely saturated with drilling operations.

The untapped possible wells, often are limited by technology. Meaning the oil may not even be recoverable with current tech.

Regarding the bolded, there are two things. Facts, and political pandering to get votes. Right now, you are  (at least partially) falling for the political pandering angle.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #605 on: March 09, 2022, 02:21:46 AM »

Lets's be honest.  If muggsy thought a single sea-lion would be killed by a nuclear weapons test, he'd fly of the handle about why we didn't protect that little guy.  Muggsy is all about the little guy. 

Sorry muggsy :)

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #606 on: March 09, 2022, 05:12:18 AM »
The Marquette University Police Department is investigating the incident below. If you have more information, please contact MUPD immediately at (414) 288-6800.
Initial Incident Report
Incident type: Shots fired
Incident location: N. 15th St. and W. State St.
Approximate time: 9:10 p.m.
Victims: N/A
Physical injuries: N/A

At approximately 9:10 p.m., the Marquette University Police Department and the Milwaukee Police Department responded to a call of shots fired near N. 15th St. and W. State St. Evidence of a weapon being fired was discovered on and near a non-Marquette affiliated vehicle. No victims or suspects have been reported. Both agencies are investigating
Putin attacking Marquette now?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #607 on: March 09, 2022, 06:32:25 AM »
The Marquette University Police Department is investigating the incident below. If you have more information, please contact MUPD immediately at (414) 288-6800.
Initial Incident Report
Incident type: Shots fired
Incident location: N. 15th St. and W. State St.
Approximate time: 9:10 p.m.
Victims: N/A
Physical injuries: N/A

At approximately 9:10 p.m., the Marquette University Police Department and the Milwaukee Police Department responded to a call of shots fired near N. 15th St. and W. State St. Evidence of a weapon being fired was discovered on and near a non-Marquette affiliated vehicle. No victims or suspects have been reported. Both agencies are investigating

Time to nuke the neighborhood around campus?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #608 on: March 09, 2022, 06:54:32 AM »
Profit motive is stopping them.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #609 on: March 09, 2022, 07:01:52 AM »
Profit motive is stopping them.

Precisely. Rinse and repeat. Oil gets high enough to make domestic extraction appealing from a profit standpoint. Domestic extraction begins, OPEC drops the barrel and domestic production isn’t viable any longer.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #610 on: March 09, 2022, 07:11:00 AM »
Precisely. Rinse and repeat. Oil gets high enough to make domestic extraction appealing from a profit standpoint. Domestic extraction begins, OPEC drops the barrel and domestic production isn’t viable any longer.

I’d recommend alternative energy resources but hahaha
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #611 on: March 09, 2022, 07:16:35 AM »
Lets's be honest.  If muggsy thought a single sea-lion would be killed by a nuclear weapons test, he'd fly of the handle about why we didn't protect that little guy.  Muggsy is all about the little guy. 

Sorry muggsy :)

We have and are completely failing marine mammals.  And countless other species.
 But many of them.are big guys.   

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #612 on: March 09, 2022, 08:15:52 AM »
Oil production has been down for the past five years despite calls to increase it, in favor of soaring profits and quarterly earnings.

Exxon, BP, Chevron, Shell, etc…all said nope to increasing production.

$174 Billion in profit this past year.

Perhaps some could make a little less profit.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #613 on: March 09, 2022, 08:26:06 AM »
A lighter note.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #614 on: March 09, 2022, 08:31:33 AM »
Oil production has been down for the past five years despite calls to increase it, in favor of soaring profits and quarterly earnings.

Exxon, BP, Chevron, Shell, etc…all said nope to increasing production.

$174 Billion in profit this past year.

Perhaps some could make a little less profit.

I assume anyone pushing for increased production would support nationalization then? Or perhaps government intervention into private markets?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #615 on: March 09, 2022, 08:31:50 AM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #616 on: March 09, 2022, 08:34:25 AM »

No there isn't.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #617 on: March 09, 2022, 08:46:46 AM »
Sure, but the nuclear threat is the same either way. It's probably much greater with NATO, as Putin must know he can't win or survive that conventional war.

I'm not advocating for direct US Intervention here, at least not yet  I'm legitimately torn on it. But I don’t think our actions need be entirely dictated by a fear that Putin and his regime suddenly decide to become suicide bombers. They want wealth and power, not 72 virgins.

Sounds like my thought process. 
I'm back and forth on no fly.  Right now with the war not going so good for Russia my (current) thought is to hold off for now.  They are going no where fast.  Time only buys more leverage for the West.  Let the Russians burn through more casualties, more equipment, more cheap Chinese tires, and even worse morale.  There may come a point or some event that can trigger a "that's it" moment the Air Force is going in and it makes it more justifiable for the US and NATO.

Nuclear war, sure can be a possibility, but I think is very near nil for a few reasons. 
* Putin can't just push the button himself.  He has to go through a chain and other military people are involved.
* It's been reported many times that the US Military has back channels to the Russian military.  I'm certain they are talking and there probably are assurances they will prevent nukes from being involved. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #618 on: March 09, 2022, 08:56:13 AM »
I assume anyone pushing for increased production would support nationalization then? Or perhaps government intervention into private markets?

Thus whole Russia is bad because war thing must be hard for you, comrade.

jesmu84

• All American

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #620 on: March 09, 2022, 10:18:06 AM »
A lighter note.
Speaking of which, Muggs should be happy now: thanks to McDonald's pulling out, we've now established to No-Fry Zone.

(Found on Reddit)
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #622 on: March 09, 2022, 10:28:58 AM »
Speaking of which, Muggs should be happy now: thanks to McDonald's pulling out, we've now established to No-Fry Zone.

(Found on Reddit)

The Russians are being shaketioned.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #624 on: March 09, 2022, 12:18:34 PM »
Sounds like my thought process. 
I'm back and forth on no fly.  Right now with the war not going so good for Russia my (current) thought is to hold off for now.  They are going no where fast.  Time only buys more leverage for the West.  Let the Russians burn through more casualties, more equipment, more cheap Chinese tires, and even worse morale.  There may come a point or some event that can trigger a "that's it" moment the Air Force is going in and it makes it more justifiable for the US and NATO.

I don't envy those in charge of making these decisions. After seeing the maternity hospital bombing today I'm getting more towards "that's it." But that's a purely emotional response.

These deliberate and targeted civilian attacks are just unconscionable. I know Muggs has gotten some flack, but I can relate to what he's feeling.

feedback