* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Explosions in Kiev  (Read 51445 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Explosions in Kiev
« Reply #325 on: February 28, 2022, 06:00:55 PM »
I ask this with total ignorance…

Russia, sooner rather than later, will have to be on the brink of total bankruptcy, no? Their state bank cash reserves are both plummeting and getting close to the brink of worthlessness, no? The government can’t seemingly borrow from anyone, and can’t lean on any (?) assets as collateral. Yet, their government is going to try to keep conducting a war?

I’m sure I’m missing a bunch of things, just curious if my rationale is on point or not.

Dish,
I read from various places.  Russia has $350bil in reserves and they are blowing $20bil a day.  So 17.5 days.  Don't know what that means after that?

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #326 on: February 28, 2022, 06:10:54 PM »
Poland, Sweden, the UK and the Czech Republic had already announced they would not play against Russia.  Their next World Cup qualifier was supposed to be against Poland in Russia later in March.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #327 on: February 28, 2022, 06:15:53 PM »
My question is:
What benefits the USA with Russia expansion?
So, are those in the USA supporting Russia have some monetary gain by Russia expansion or do they just desire some attention?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #328 on: February 28, 2022, 06:28:15 PM »
About the only people(used lightly) who seem for or indifferent at very least are the ccp. they are licking their chops staring at Taiwan like a lion on red meat  also, little rocket man, no relation of course ;D seems uninhibited once again.  Other than that, it seems the world thank God, is united against the Sluggo
don't...don't don't don't don't

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #329 on: February 28, 2022, 06:31:45 PM »
My question is:
What benefits the USA with Russia expansion?
So, are those in the USA supporting Russia have some monetary gain by Russia expansion or do they just desire some attention?

I'm sure some have financial gain (much like those who opposed US intervention in WWII did as well) but for the most part, it's pure political partisanship.

Trump was a Putin fan boy (and worse) for four years, so the Trump loyalists go with whatever he says. If Trump came out in full support of Ukraine and Zelenskyy his base would rally around Ukraine and the left would be posting Russian flags on their social media profile pics.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #330 on: February 28, 2022, 06:40:33 PM »

Trump was a Putin fan boy (and worse) for four years

Apologies.   
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 06:48:48 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #331 on: February 28, 2022, 06:47:29 PM »
Trump was a Putin fan boy (and worse) for four years, so the Trump loyalists go with whatever he says. If Trump came out in full support of Ukraine and Zelenskyy his base would rally around Ukraine and the left would be posting Russian flags on their social media profile pics.

Stop.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #332 on: February 28, 2022, 07:28:48 PM »
I'm sure some have financial gain (much like those who opposed US intervention in WWII did as well) but for the most part, it's pure political partisanship.

This really isn't helpful.   We have an exceedingly difficult situation,, and it's  long-term, no matter how this plays out. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #333 on: February 28, 2022, 08:49:14 PM »
I've seen a few people say the bolded above and I'm not sure that it is true.  I saw an article that I believe said that 80% of the troops staged at the Ukrainian border had been deployed into Ukraine....not that 80% of Russia's total military was in Ukraine.  Perhaps I misinterpreted that, but I'd have to think that Russia's total military personnel numbers in the millions, not a couple hundred thousand (the last numbers I saw reported for the troop buildup at the borders was ~140k if memory serves).

From a military analyst I know. So those other reserves might not be so available.

I'm not convinced that the Russian army really has a lot of resources available to bring in that they aren't already using. They have a lot of tanks and armored vehicles on paper, but when you dig a little for details, most of them are in warehouses, probably stripped for parts to keep the ones they're using operational. They don't have a huge military budget - it's comparable to France or Germany, or the total budget of the University of California system, and they have to use it to maintain all their bases, buy stuff, feed troops, pay them something .

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #334 on: February 28, 2022, 08:53:16 PM »
From a military analyst I know. So those other reserves might not be so available.

I'm not convinced that the Russian army really has a lot of resources available to bring in that they aren't already using. They have a lot of tanks and armored vehicles on paper, but when you dig a little for details, most of them are in warehouses, probably stripped for parts to keep the ones they're using operational. They don't have a huge military budget - it's comparable to France or Germany, or the total budget of the University of California system, and they have to use it to maintain all their bases, buy stuff, feed troops, pay them something .

I'd be very surprised if they don't have a larger air force than this. I don't get why they haven't forced air superiority right off the bat. Like, something's up.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #335 on: February 28, 2022, 08:54:11 PM »
This really isn't helpful.   We have an exceedingly difficult situation,, and it's  long-term, no matter how this plays out.

I don’t think it’s long term. The world has lined up against Putin. He won’t go beyond the Ukrainian borders due to fear of widespread attack, and and is losing support of some of his closest confidants within Russia. Intelligence says the Russian Army isn’t so strong or large as made out to be. The Russian public opposes this. Once the money runs out he’s done. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see a revolt from within by his own government officials. That they haven’t taken Kyiv yet is telling.

Stop.

You really believe if Trump weren’t so pro-Putin and instead hadn’t spent four years idolizing him publicly as he did his propaganda networks wouldn’t be a 24 hour love fest for Zelinskyy instead? The question was asked why some Americans were supporting Russia. Do you have another answer?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #336 on: February 28, 2022, 08:56:10 PM »
Like father like son
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #337 on: February 28, 2022, 09:09:07 PM »
You really believe if Trump weren’t so pro-Putin and instead hadn’t spent four years idolizing him publicly as he did his propaganda networks wouldn’t be a 24 hour love fest for Zelinskyy instead? The question was asked why some Americans were supporting Russia. Do you have another answer?

What Trump thinks or does has no bearing on Putin's current actions, or the worlds condemnation of it.  I've made it clear I want to avoid partisan bickering in this thread.  So stop.  Now.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #338 on: February 28, 2022, 09:10:35 PM »
I think the next couple days could be really ugly. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #339 on: February 28, 2022, 09:27:36 PM »
Sounds like Kviv is preparing for street to street fighting.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #340 on: February 28, 2022, 09:57:18 PM »
I'd be very surprised if they don't have a larger air force than this. I don't get why they haven't forced air superiority right off the bat. Like, something's up.

They're quickly learning their migs and Su's are no match for the west's anti Air tech.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #341 on: February 28, 2022, 10:13:59 PM »
I think the next couple days could be really ugly.

I agree. Things are starting to spiral. I still fear that Russia has been holding back because of perception.

Now with them significantly isolated, and admonished around the world, they may unleash.

Let's just hope that nothing spirals too far. I have more concerns each day as I'm not sure I see a reasonable exit ramp at the moment.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #342 on: February 28, 2022, 10:34:35 PM »
I agree. Things are starting to spiral. I still fear that Russia has been holding back because of perception.

Now with them significantly isolated, and admonished around the world, they may unleash.

Let's just hope that nothing spirals too far. I have more concerns each day as I'm not sure I see a reasonable exit ramp at the moment.

That's the main point, what is the exit ramp?  It's not a positive development to see a 40 mile convoy.  I just don't think it's possible to get the Ukrainians the resources they need and we have no idea what Putin will do the next few weeks.  He very well could be unhinged. What seems clear is he's not going to retreat which makes this an absolute disaster on many levels. 

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #343 on: February 28, 2022, 11:42:50 PM »
An update from the Russia side (again mostly fact based, with one jab at lawyers).
- Exchange rate, which was frozen on Monday will begin trading at 10am Moscow time Tuesday for a limited session
- Remainder of MOEX still closed Tuesday
- Companies selling abroad are required to deposit 80% of earnings immediately in Rubles
- All non-payment overseas transfers by individuals and companies are blocked.   (i.e. you cannot get money out)
- Lots of companies over-reacting to the sanctions and stopping/slowing business.  Shippers, Mercedes, Volvo, tech, etc.  One tech company I know well reacted to the sanctions by laying off their entire Russian staff for the next month.  They and their products are not sanctioned... just their legal department, with an apparent inability to read the actual sanctions, decided to stop the business.
- Protesters get arrested
- General disdain for the Russian military.  People I talk to are on one hand disappointed with their seeming ineptitude but on the other hand not surprised and a little bit pleased.
- Apple/Google pay doesn't work with sanctioned banks.  Sanctioned bank cards don't work outside Russia. 
- large commodity producers are working to increase inventory of supplies like consumables, explosives, spare parts - quickly - "in case" things get worse.  Some are seeking a year's supply of same.

In short, the economic shock is just beginning.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #344 on: February 28, 2022, 11:46:25 PM »

That has been my feeling from the start. He knew he would be condemned for going in, but thought it would pass if there weren't massive death numbers. Clearly that isn't the case.

With the world almost unanimously against him, those restraints may not matter anymore. I fear for the Ukrainian people over the next week or two.

As far as an exit ramp, the only one I could possibly see is the $50+ BILION in losses by the richest oligarchs. If they turn on him, it will get real interesting.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #345 on: March 01, 2022, 07:35:50 AM »

I posted this the other day from stuff I read from analysts.  Lied about capabilities , size and efficiency and everyone in the outside world just believed it because there was no evidence to contradict.

* the country is so corrupt, that the military capabilities have been overstated.  Basically the lies got bigger the higher up the command chain and western military analysis were based on what the Russian top brass was saying.  Ukraine invasion is exposing all.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #346 on: March 01, 2022, 07:42:18 AM »
I posted this the other day from stuff I read from analysts.  Lied about capabilities , size and efficiency and everyone in the outside world just believed it because there was no evidence to contradict.

* the country is so corrupt, that the military capabilities have been overstated.  Basically the lies got bigger the higher up the command chain and western military analysis were based on what the Russian top brass was saying.  Ukraine invasion is exposing all.

Wouldn't this require the people telling the lies actually believing it? I mean if you know you're lying why invade and risk exposing yourself?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #347 on: March 01, 2022, 07:42:50 AM »

Basically a Ponzi scheme. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #348 on: March 01, 2022, 07:44:32 AM »
Wouldn't this require the people telling the lies actually believing it? I mean if you know you're lying why invade and risk exposing yourself?

Hubris would be a big part of it.  There was almost certainly an anticipation of Ukrainian collapse upon the sight of Russian troops.  World history teaches us this lesson often.  Many choose to ignore it
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #349 on: March 01, 2022, 07:59:08 AM »

No different than the end of the USSR.