[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Explosions in Kiev  (Read 51438 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Explosions in Kiev
« Reply #275 on: February 27, 2022, 04:57:20 PM »
It's reported that Russia has committed 75% of their military to Ukraine ops. I think it's time to take Kamchatka to provide a security buffer for Alaska.

I'm not an expert, but I played some Risk in high school so I'm pretty confident in my knowledge on this sort of thing.
After Kamchatka, there is just no way to hold Asia, man. You just can't do it. Sure, 7 armies per turn is nice, but there are just too many access points to defend.

Now North America, gets you 5 armies and you only need to defend 3 access points. So what this means is, Candace Owens is right, and it is time to invade Canada.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #276 on: February 27, 2022, 05:15:09 PM »
Candace Owens is right, and it is time to invade Canada.

The Army will never make it past the truckers.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #277 on: February 27, 2022, 05:19:16 PM »
After Kamchatka, there is just no way to hold Asia, man. You just can't do it. Sure, 7 armies per turn is nice, but there are just too many access points to defend.

Now North America, gets you 5 armies and you only need to defend 3 access points. So what this means is, Candace Owens is right, and it is time to invade Canada.
What, and ruin Canada?  It is nice to think of a place that the USA was once like.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #278 on: February 27, 2022, 05:44:27 PM »
It's reported that Russia has committed 75% of their military to Ukraine ops. I think it's time to take Kamchatka to provide a security buffer for Alaska.

I'm not an expert, but I played some Risk in high school so I'm pretty confident in my knowledge on this sort of thing.

My summers in the 1970s from age 12 thru 16 involved neighborhood marathon games of Risk and Monopoly.  Games would go for days.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #279 on: February 27, 2022, 06:22:29 PM »
Some interesting facts as we approach a critical Monday.

My bank (a non-sanctioned foreign bank with full operating license in Russia - and a very good one) is buying Dollars for 89.90 and buying Rubles for 150.01.
The SWIFT thing is happening, but the list of banks is not clear.  Probably limited to already sanctioned banks.
Russia has threatened nuclear engagement by taking their nuclear forces to the highest level of alert.
Ukraine, Belarus and Russia have agreed to a negotiation session on the Ukraine/Belarus border.
Russia has threatened seizure of foreign owned bank accounts and assets within Russia, specifically targeting nationals of certain countries.  They can do this because all of this information exists in bank data and land/property registry. 

My money is safely out for now and my Chase credit card worked today at our favorite coffee shop. 
Tomorrow is another day.

If you need to get out, consider flights to Asia or Middle East according to folks having to do this now.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #280 on: February 27, 2022, 06:34:36 PM »

As a vet of hundreds of games of Risk as a young man, I say you are 100% right.  Get North America and you're gonna almost always win the game. One good treaty protects you.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #281 on: February 27, 2022, 08:29:11 PM »
Meanwhile Usyk and Lomenchenko have both shown their willingness to suck up to Putin or at least accept gifts from his supporters. They're a disgrace compared to the brothers.

Well, Loma found his spine.

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/33388013/top-boxer-vasiliy-lomachenko-joins-terror-defense-battalion-ukraine
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 11:29:08 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #282 on: February 27, 2022, 08:56:34 PM »
It’s really been astonishing to watch this play out. In a war being fought on land/sea/air, it seems like it’s either going deliberately slow, or very “meh” so far for Russia. On the global battlefield (treaties/policies/financial), Russia is getting obliterated. The war being fought without bullets, Russia has backed itself into a corner. When even the Swiss are going to freeze Russian assets, you know you’re in a heap of trouble.

The worry to me is, what’s next for Russia? At some point, even if they were to take Ukraine, financially as a country they’re about to be crippled. If I’m a middle class Russian citizen, I’d be asking “is this really worth it?”. I don’t know how Putin survives this, even with his massive power control.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #283 on: February 27, 2022, 08:58:29 PM »
It’s really been astonishing to watch this play out. In a war being fought on land/sea/air, it seems like it’s either going deliberately slow, or very “meh” so far for Russia. On the global battlefield (treaties/policies/financial), Russia is getting obliterated. The war being fought without bullets, Russia has backed itself into a corner. When even the Swiss are going to freeze Russian assets, you know you’re in a heap of trouble.

The worry to me is, what’s next for Russia? At some point, even if they were to take Ukraine, financially as a country they’re about to be crippled. If I’m a middle class Russian citizen, I’d be asking “is this really worth it?”. I don’t know how Putin survives this, even with his massive power control.

Was texting with some friends pretty much exactly this a couple hours ago.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #284 on: February 27, 2022, 09:23:27 PM »

I don’t know how Putin survives this, even with his massive power control.

This is becoming a pretty popular opinion. Hope it proves to be correct.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #285 on: February 27, 2022, 09:35:59 PM »

There is a reason he is holed up in Sochi. Watch the generals. When he starts blaming them, it might not go well for him and his KGB oligarchs.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #286 on: February 28, 2022, 12:46:10 AM »
This is becoming a pretty popular opinion. Hope it proves to be correct.

I have to think that makes things all the more dangerous and volatile

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #287 on: February 28, 2022, 05:22:18 AM »
I have to think that makes things all the more dangerous and volatile

That's my fear as well.  I mean if you read the transcripts of his last two national addresses you have to ask yourself:  did he really think most of the world would buy his complete nonsense?  Especially his pretext for the "Military Exercise"?  If he's truly delusional it's extremely scary.  Maybe someone takes him out?   

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #288 on: February 28, 2022, 08:08:42 AM »
From the NYT - "The Russian Central Bank more than doubled its key interest rate, banned foreigners from selling Russian securities and ordered exporters to convert into rubles most of their foreign-currency revenues."

Brutal. Unless Putin nationalizes these companies they're going to shut up shop due to cash flow problems.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #289 on: February 28, 2022, 08:34:12 AM »
From the NYT - "The Russian Central Bank more than doubled its key interest rate, banned foreigners from selling Russian securities and ordered exporters to convert into rubles most of their foreign-currency revenues."

Brutal. Unless Putin nationalizes these companies they're going to shut up shop due to cash flow problems.

They're going full isolationist.  This is jut an attempt to stabilize the ruble... which won't work.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #290 on: February 28, 2022, 08:35:24 AM »
That's my fear as well.  I mean if you read the transcripts of his last two national addresses you have to ask yourself:  did he really think most of the world would buy his complete nonsense?  Especially his pretext for the "Military Exercise"?  If he's truly delusional it's extremely scary.  Maybe someone takes him out?

To be fair, he was just copying the western playbook.  Not to mention his own successful operation in Crimea.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #291 on: February 28, 2022, 09:20:13 AM »

And he's going to take a lot of other dictators down with him or at very least completely neuter them.

If I was Georgia and Moldova I'd move on the Russia backed rebels in their country now.  The thing propping them up is a very badly wounded animal and 80% of Russia's military is in/near Ukraine. 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #292 on: February 28, 2022, 09:43:46 AM »
And he's going to take a lot of other dictators down with him or at very least completely neuter them.

If I was Georgia and Moldova I'd move on the Russia backed rebels in their country now.  The thing propping them up is a very badly wounded animal and 80% of Russia's military is in/near Ukraine.

I've seen a few people say the bolded above and I'm not sure that it is true.  I saw an article that I believe said that 80% of the troops staged at the Ukrainian border had been deployed into Ukraine....not that 80% of Russia's total military was in Ukraine.  Perhaps I misinterpreted that, but I'd have to think that Russia's total military personnel numbers in the millions, not a couple hundred thousand (the last numbers I saw reported for the troop buildup at the borders was ~140k if memory serves). 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #293 on: February 28, 2022, 10:04:49 AM »
I've seen a few people say the bolded above and I'm not sure that it is true.  I saw an article that I believe said that 80% of the troops staged at the Ukrainian border had been deployed into Ukraine....not that 80% of Russia's total military was in Ukraine.  Perhaps I misinterpreted that, but I'd have to think that Russia's total military personnel numbers in the millions, not a couple hundred thousand (the last numbers I saw reported for the troop buildup at the borders was ~140k if memory serves).

I vaguely recall seeing somewhere recently that it was one million active with another two million in reserve.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #294 on: February 28, 2022, 10:16:45 AM »

This is correct.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #295 on: February 28, 2022, 10:42:08 AM »
To be fair, he was just copying the western playbook.  Not to mention his own successful operation in Crimea.

So because there's been Western Imperislism in the past and we did nothing in 2008 and 2014 he didn't sound delusional?  Especially his take on Ukranians and their 'Zazi" regime?  WTF  is your point of what countries did in the past?  That we're hypocrites?  That we're exactly the same as China and Russia today?  That we the USA mirrored Hitler, Stalin, Pol-Pot, and other genocidal manics?  That our system, as flawed as it is, isn't vastly superior to a S-Show dictatorship?  Cut the b-crap and deal with reality. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 10:44:25 AM by MuggsyB »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #296 on: February 28, 2022, 10:45:07 AM »
This internet thing sure makes wars interesting

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #297 on: February 28, 2022, 11:08:12 AM »

You're right.  I misread.

They have 800,000 active personnel.  So about 25% are deployed in Ukraine.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #298 on: February 28, 2022, 11:32:44 AM »
You're right.  I misread.

They have 800,000 active personnel.  So about 25% are deployed in Ukraine.
To your initial point, it would add a major wrinkle if Georgia and Moldova did as you suggested. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #299 on: February 28, 2022, 11:46:08 AM »
Snake Island sailors confirmed alive. But, they are being held prisoner by Russia.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”