* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Explosions in Kiev  (Read 51448 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Explosions in Kiev
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2022, 03:41:19 PM »
So was Trump. So is Biden.

Are these numbers correct?  In the US this would be considered "wildly popular"
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/putins-popularity-with-russians-has-been-rising-ahead-of-ukraine-invasion-but-thats-unlikely-to-last-11645727255
Approximately 69% of Russians now approve of Putin, compared to the 61% who approved of him in August 2021, according to Russian polling agency the Levada Center. And 29% of Russians disapprove of Putin, down from 37% in August 2021.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2022, 03:41:32 PM »
dgies

I like you more and more every month. Looking forward to meeting you at Final Four or down in FL one of these days.

He has a fatal flaw tho...Cardinals fan....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2022, 03:43:14 PM »
dgies

I like you more and more every month. Looking forward to meeting you at Final Four or down in FL one of these days.

It is a scoop-mas miracle.   God bless us, everyone.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2022, 03:56:20 PM »
Are these numbers correct?  In the US this would be considered "wildly popular"
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/putins-popularity-with-russians-has-been-rising-ahead-of-ukraine-invasion-but-thats-unlikely-to-last-11645727255

How many Russians answered honestly when some person comes up and asks "Do you favor Putin"?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2022, 04:03:51 PM »
Meanwhile, the mayor of Kyiv is very popular and along with his brother, is calling for action. Sorry Putin, you're not getting past these two:

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/news/ukrainian-former-world-champions-wladimir-kitschko-vitali-klitschko-take-up-arms-amid-russian-invasion/

Meanwhile Usyk and Lomenchenko have both shown their willingness to suck up to Putin or at least accept gifts from his supporters. They're a disgrace compared to the brothers.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 04:20:46 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2022, 04:12:25 PM »
No, it's not a fair fight and will be ugly.  Of course the Russians fully expected to roll Finland during the 1940-41 Winter War and did not anticipate Simo Hayha annihilating 700+ by himself.  Why there isn't a feature film of Simo is absurd.  Total badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2VUGfrZyck

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2022, 04:14:15 PM »
Mufan i Hope that is true.   Meanwhile we hold the key to the energy issue as the US oil supply is almost limitless and could cripple Putin if we unleashed our resources. Russia has been described as a "gas station with a nuclear arsenal"  We could seriously curtail his business if we had the will.

Years ago I sailed with an engineer who was an oil expert and lectured around the world on the subject
In conversation ,he mentioned that he believed that oil was being created continuously. I pray for a non-military solution to this situation

We do not have anywhere near limitless oil supplies. Our reserves have increased greatly since oil-sands have came online, but we still only have like 5% of the worlds oil. Russia has more than us.

And worse, at our current production rate, we will exhaust our proven reserves in ~15 years. Tapping into more of those reserves just means we face a major crisis sooner.

And while oil is technically being created continuously, it occurs at such a slow rate that it doesn't significantly impact our reserves.

Another solution, is to quit sanctions with Venezuela, and open up their reserves (~5x as much as the US and 20+% of the proven reserves.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 04:16:28 PM by forgetful »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2022, 04:21:10 PM »
Meanwhile Usyk and Lomenchenko have both shown their willingness to suck up to Putin. They're a disgrace compared to the brothers.

Loma did? Did he confuse "Teofemo Lopez" with "Putin?" Very disappointing. Usyk is a dbag, always has been.

I looked up his IG and it a bunch of weasel words, seemingly trying to stay neutral:  https://www.instagram.com/p/CaX1HDyjPeG/
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2022, 04:23:47 PM »
Many Russians miss the good old days when it was a genuine world power and it could impose its will on lesser nations. Even Stalin is enjoying a Renaissance. There are those who cheer Putin's muscle-flexing and support his efforts, likely older Russians.

https://medium.com/dfrlab/stalin-revived-and-admired-in-russia-37d753e734#:~:text=On%20April%2016%2C%202019%2C%20the%20Levada%20Center%2C%20an,the%20Soviet%20leader%E2%80%99s%20approval%20rating%20at%2054%20percent.

Compared to Israel and Taiwan, Ukraine is low hanging fruit. Israel has been prepared for war its entire existence and remains so today. No other middle East country will send armed troops over its border. It is something of a similar situation in Taiwan which includes the natural buffer of the Taiwan Strait between it and mainland China. An amphibious assault would create a lot of casualties.

Putin is vary familiar of the disastrous Russian incursion into Afghanistan. I doubt he is interested in occupying Ukraine long term. He wants Zelensky out and a pro-Russian in. I just can't see that ever being acceptable to the Ukrainian people considering they threw out the last one. He would have to leave a Russian force in the Ukraine to prop up his stooge. Whether the Ukrainian people would accept that without a systematic insurgency is the great unknown. Maybe it's time for Zelensky to start thinking of ways to relent to some of Putin's demands about membership in NATO and the eastern region to save a lot of destruction. Not saying he should but it seems to me Ukraine's long term interests would best be served by walking the fine line between east and west.

Finally, to refer to Zelensky as a "clown" is misleading. He earned his law degree before going into entertainment. An actor or comedian would be fair, kind of like Ronald Reagan!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2022, 04:26:41 PM »
Loma did? Did he confuse "Teofemo Lopez" with "Putin?" Very disappointing. Usyk is a dbag, always has been.

I looked up his IG and it a bunch of weasel words, seemingly trying to stay neutral:  https://www.instagram.com/p/CaX1HDyjPeG/

That's the post that got me pissed

There's also this that read this AM

http://thecomeback.com/queensberryrules/2020-articles/im-ukrainian-and-i-cannot-cheer-for-oleksandr-usyk-or-vasyl-lomachenko.html

Meanwhile the brothers are ready to die for their country.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2022, 04:43:58 PM »
I saw this summary of today's sanctions:

The White House has now issued a fact sheet on the new sanctions, which include:

* Severing the connection to the U.S. financial system for Russia’s largest financial institution, Sberbank
* Full blocking sanctions on Russia’s second largest financial institution, VTB Bank (VTB)
* Full blocking sanctions on three other major Russian financial institutions: Bank Otkritie, Sovcombank OJSC, and Novikombank
* New debt and equity restrictions on 13 of the most critical major Russian enterprises and entities
* Additional full blocking sanctions on seven Russian elites and their family members
* Sanctions on 24 Belarusian individuals and entities, including targeting Belarus’ military and financial capabilities by sanctioning two significant Belarusian state-owned banks, nine defense firms, and seven regime-connected official and elites
* Exports of nearly all U.S. items and items produced in foreign countries using certain U.S.-origin software, technology, or equipment will be restricted
* Russia-wide restrictions on technological goods critical to a diversified economy and Putin’s ability to project power; that includes exports of Russian technology
* Tax and fee exemptions for other countries that join in the restrictions on Russia.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2022, 04:48:54 PM »
Many Russians miss the good old days when it was a genuine world power and it could impose its will on lesser nations. Even Stalin is enjoying a Renaissance. There are those who cheer Putin's muscle-flexing and support his efforts, likely older Russians.

https://medium.com/dfrlab/stalin-revived-and-admired-in-russia-37d753e734#:~:text=On%20April%2016%2C%202019%2C%20the%20Levada%20Center%2C%20an,the%20Soviet%20leader%E2%80%99s%20approval%20rating%20at%2054%20percent.

Compared to Israel and Taiwan, Ukraine is low hanging fruit. Israel has been prepared for war its entire existence and remains so today. No other middle East country will send armed troops over its border. It is something of a similar situation in Taiwan which includes the natural buffer of the Taiwan Strait between it and mainland China. An amphibious assault would create a lot of casualties.

Putin is vary familiar of the disastrous Russian incursion into Afghanistan. I doubt he is interested in occupying Ukraine long term. He wants Zelensky out and a pro-Russian in. I just can't see that ever being acceptable to the Ukrainian people considering they threw out the last one. He would have to leave a Russian force in the Ukraine to prop up his stooge. Whether the Ukrainian people would accept that without a systematic insurgency is the great unknown. Maybe it's time for Zelensky to start thinking of ways to relent to some of Putin's demands about membership in NATO and the eastern region to save a lot of destruction. Not saying he should but it seems to me Ukraine's long term interests would best be served by walking the fine line between east and west.

Finally, to refer to Zelensky as a "clown" is misleading. He earned his law degree before going into entertainment. An actor or comedian would be fair, kind of like Ronald Reagan!

Appreciate this. Does the West consider Ukraine low hanging fruit, too? Like, the country is clearly a pawn and can be used to promote both the Russian and Western agendas? Is this posturing or is it a serious threat of war? Now, clearly it is serious for those in Ukraine, don’t get me wrong I’m not trying to minimize this situation.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2022, 05:32:53 PM »
So was Trump. So is Biden.

You're being pedantic again.  Try something new.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2022, 05:51:56 PM »

Yep, and those days are long gone and aren't coming back under Putin's rule.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2022, 06:01:38 PM »
build a statue of these brave men:

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1496989555739746304

Audio from Snake Island, Black Sea:

Russians: This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you’ll be bombed.

Ukrainians: Russian warship, go f--k yourself.

They were all killed
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2022, 06:30:33 PM »

Russians: This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you’ll be bombed.

They were all killed

Absolutely.  They are true heroes.  This is going to be really awful the next few days .  Even if we drop tons of weapons and night vision into Ukraine they cannot win..  At the same time they're going to fight and this could be much harder than Putin anticipates.  It's an enormous country. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2022, 06:51:25 PM »
Would now be an appropriate time for another Manhattan project? But this time, work on developing a new type of energy generation that could be exported to the entire world cheap/free

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2022, 06:55:12 PM »
Absolutely.  They are true heroes.  This is going to be really awful the next few days .  Even if we drop tons of weapons and night vision into Ukraine they cannot win..  At the same time they're going to fight and this could be much harder than Putin anticipates.  It's an enormous country.

They don't have to win.  They only need to extract enough Russian blood to make them ahe to pull out.  Asymmetric warfare is common in conflicts where the belligerents have massive power differences.   

The guys on Snake Island have already been awarded posthumous bravery awards.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2022, 07:02:53 PM »

They were all killed

Bold reply. Kudos to those brave men, and Godspeed to Ukraine and its military.

Sounds like Kyiv could be under an all-out assault very soon.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2022, 07:11:22 PM »
They don't have to win.  They only need to extract enough Russian blood to make them ahe to pull out.  Asymmetric warfare is common in conflicts where the belligerents have massive power differences.   

The guys on Snake Island have already been awarded posthumous bravery awards.

You are conceivably right.  The Finns were inordinately successful in WW2.  Of course this is a much different world but they took out a lot of guys while zooming around on skis.  Putin is a real, real, real, scumbag.  I'm wondering if there could conceivably be a coup if this is not a quick occupation?  I would imagine his initial goal is a puppet state like Belarus. The best result I see would be a prolonged insurgency.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2022, 07:23:33 PM »
Would now be an appropriate time for another Manhattan project? But this time, work on developing a new type of energy generation that could be exported to the entire world cheap/free

Already in the early stages.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2022, 08:01:05 PM »
Patton was right.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2022, 08:11:53 PM »

MuggsyB

• All American