[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Could we be Shaka's forever home?  (Read 13001 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Could we be Shaka's forever home?
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2022, 01:30:39 PM »
the one thing that could affect Shaka's long term commitment is the changing landscape of the NCAA and the college game. The new constitution is going to heavily favor the Power Five, and as much as the Big East wants to coin the term "Power Six" that isn't a thing. Just ask the AAC who tried to do that with football. The Power Five (official designation in the NCAA bylaws: Autonomy Conferences) will never let that happen.

Secondly, the shifting of power to student-athletes and greater influence out outside individuals. Having to re-recruit ones team every year before being able to recruit new players is already wearing on coaches. Players leave more often due to outside influences, not wanting to earn their playing time, etc. Poaching it out of control now that kids are eligible immediately. Coaches are feeling burnout sooner and with the money they're making it makes it easier for them to get out instead of dealing with the BS and still live a charmed life.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2022, 01:57:33 PM »
NLW registered last January and started posting blasting Theo John and Marquette for being social justice warriors.  Remarkably, he then defended the mulax dudes who dropped the n-bomb on social media.

He’s not guru, though.  Guru will support Shaka as long as he’s winning and whatever players are here as long as they’re winning

Hmmmm... what's a chicos?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2022, 01:58:18 PM »
It's been one year. How do we know coaches are "feeling burnout sooner" and "getting out"?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2022, 02:00:50 PM »
It's been one year. How do we know coaches are "feeling burnout sooner" and "getting out"?

We don’t but the chicken littles keep chicken littling
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2022, 02:01:57 PM »
the one thing that could affect Shaka's long term commitment is the changing landscape of the NCAA and the college game. The new constitution is going to heavily favor the Power Five, and as much as the Big East wants to coin the term "Power Six" that isn't a thing. Just ask the AAC who tried to do that with football. The Power Five (official designation in the NCAA bylaws: Autonomy Conferences) will never let that happen.

Secondly, the shifting of power to student-athletes and greater influence out outside individuals. Having to re-recruit ones team every year before being able to recruit new players is already wearing on coaches. Players leave more often due to outside influences, not wanting to earn their playing time, etc. Poaching it out of control now that kids are eligible immediately. Coaches are feeling burnout sooner and with the money they're making it makes it easier for them to get out instead of dealing with the BS and still live a charmed life.

Not sure I agree with the Power Five/Power Six part of that -- a conference doesn't "declare" it, it just happens, and the fact is that the Big East has been among the top conferences ever since it became basketball only. Plus, basketball is just different than football. If you're saying that the powers-that-be will go out of their way to neuter Big East basketball in the future, I guess we'll see. If that happens to us, it will have been a heck of a run.

Otherwise, I agree with what you're saying about coaching now. If I had the choice between an NBA job where I didn't have to recruit at all, and a college job where I had to recruit and re-recruit constantly, had to deal with overprotective mommies, had to make sure kids were going to classes, etc ... I'd sure as heck choose the NBA.

But some coaches just love the college game and have no interest in coaching pros. And right now, we have no idea where Shaka stands on that. So it's one of those things that's not worth talking about much, let alone worrying about.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2022, 02:17:14 PM »
Not sure I agree with the Power Five/Power Six part of that -- a conference doesn't "declare" it, it just happens, and the fact is that the Big East has been among the top conferences ever since it became basketball only. Plus, basketball is just different than football. If you're saying that the powers-that-be will go out of their way to neuter Big East basketball in the future, I guess we'll see. If that happens to us, it will have been a heck of a run.

Otherwise, I agree with what you're saying about coaching now. If I had the choice between an NBA job where I didn't have to recruit at all, and a college job where I had to recruit and re-recruit constantly, had to deal with overprotective mommies, had to make sure kids were going to classes, etc ... I'd sure as heck choose the NBA.

But some coaches just love the college game and have no interest in coaching pros. And right now, we have no idea where Shaka stands on that. So it's one of those things that's not worth talking about much, let alone worrying about.

The NCAA has different bylaws for the "Autonomy Conferences" which are the Power Five. Even though the Big East has proven their chops the Power Five/Autonomy Conferences don't want to share the spotlight or revenue. Money will be a huge factor for not just NIL but also Alston.

Coaches for the past few years have been talking about the changing game, outside influences, burnout, the fact that immediate eligibility waivers were being handed out like candy on Halloween (before everyone got a free transfer and handshake lines became a recruiting opportunity). I can't say if any of this will affect Shaka at all, but it is something that is changing the game and the trajectory of the coaching profession.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2022, 02:19:33 PM »
Coaches for the past few years have been talking about the changing game, outside influences, burnout, the fact that immediate eligibility waivers were being handed out like candy on Halloween (before everyone got a free transfer and handshake lines became a recruiting opportunity). I can't say if any of this will affect Shaka at all, but it is something that is changing the game and the trajectory of the coaching profession.

Oh well.  They are well compensated, and there are plenty behind them to take their place if they want to move on elsewhere. 

I don't think many are going to lament the poor coach.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2022, 02:24:34 PM »

It's obviously changing the game, but the trajectory of the coaching profession? That assumes facts not in evidence, counselor.
Given the salaries handed out to football coaches the past couple of months, it seems the trajectory is only going way up.
Has there been a surge in non-retirement age coaches abandoning the profession?
And when have coaches not whined about outside influences?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2022, 02:25:47 PM »
It's obviously changing the game, but the trajectory of the coaching profession? That assumes facts not in evidence, counselor.
Given the salaries handed out to football coaches the past couple of months, it seems the trajectory is only going way up.
Has there been a surge in non-retirement age coaches abandoning the profession?
And when have coaches not whined about outside influences?

Never

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2022, 02:28:31 PM »

Things change ALL of the time. Some people cannot accept that - are even scared of change.

Those who are nimble and embrace/adjust to change quickly are the ones who are successful - whether you are talking sports or business or life.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2022, 02:29:47 PM »

Things change ALL of the time. Some people cannot accept that - are even scared of change.

Those who are nimble and embrace/adjust to change quickly are the ones who are successful - whether you are talking sports or business or life.

Embrace change, huh

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2022, 03:09:37 PM »
The NCAA has different bylaws for the "Autonomy Conferences" which are the Power Five. Even though the Big East has proven their chops the Power Five/Autonomy Conferences don't want to share the spotlight or revenue. Money will be a huge factor for not just NIL but also Alston.

Re the first part, I guess we'll see soon enough.

Re the second ... coaches always think they're the only ones who should have total freedom of movement and influence. They think nothing of "quitting" on their teams to improve their lots in life, but as soon as a player wants to do similar, it's "These kids today ... "

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2022, 08:00:55 PM »
Shaka must be the odds on favorite at this point for BECOY and if we can keep this level of success he'll have to be in the convo for National COY.

If the success builds game on game and year on year does he make MU his forever home? I think that prospect excites me as much or more as the hope for some NCAA success over the next few seasons.
MU was not a forever home for Al.

I am bullish on Shaka and hope he and his family enjoy MU and Milwaukee and stay as long as possible .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2022, 08:12:27 PM »
MU was not a forever home for Al.

It was as far as coaching was concerned.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2022, 09:38:58 PM »
It was as far as coaching was concerned.

Only because Marquette wouldn't let him take the Bucks job.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2022, 09:55:54 PM »
Only because Marquette wouldn't let him take the Bucks job.

Pretty sure that was more about how the University was treating him re: compensation than an actual desire to do something different.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2022, 10:22:48 PM »
Pretty sure that was more about how the University was treating him re: compensation than an actual desire to do something different.

OK thanks.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2022, 06:30:12 AM »
Not sure I agree with this.

I suspect the Bucks job was a chance to build a program from the ground up. For Al, he could repeat what he did in college. Second, look who came in the second year — Kareem. That was going to happen with or without Al McGuire. A chance to coach Kareem — wow!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2022, 06:33:13 AM »
Nah Ma, if you studied Al, it was about reaching the mountain top of the profession, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2022, 06:38:32 AM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Al was really interested in the Buck's job. It was not a ploy for more money, regardless of how much loved money.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2022, 06:53:21 AM »
Yeah, if Shaka continues to be successful, $$ won't be the reason he gets away.  When you look at the money it took to move on from Wojo and bring Shaka in, there's enough money there to make sure that MU can match pretty much any offer that would come in.

Who were/are the big dollar supporters of MU ball and MU now. I used to know, but haven’t really heard as of late.

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2022, 07:32:23 AM »
Nah Ma, if you studied Al, it was about reaching the mountain top of the profession, hey?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Al was really interested in the Buck's job. It was not a ploy for more money, regardless of how much loved money.

I mean, his quote afterwards was “The priests at Marquette take a vow of poverty and they expect you to abide by it.”  So I kinda think it was at least in part about money.

Anyway, it worked out for both the Bucks and Marquette.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2022, 07:42:41 AM »
I mean, his quote afterwards was “The priests at Marquette take a vow of poverty and they expect you to abide by it.”  So I kinda think it was at least in part about money.

Anyway, it worked out for both the Bucks and Marquette.

Another quote from Gasaway's book was Al's "Jesuit reply" when he was being coaxed to rescind his decision to choose the NIT over the NCAA bid: "I don't hear confessions, and you don't run this team."
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2022, 07:46:09 AM »
Another quote from Gasaway's book was Al's "Jesuit reply" when he was being coaxed to rescind his decision to choose the NIT over the NCAA bid: "I don't hear confessions, and you don't run this team."

Yeah, that would never work today.  And it was a bad decision even then.

feedback