[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Diamond Stone  (Read 146328 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Diamond Stone
« Reply #375 on: April 29, 2014, 05:42:04 PM »
Inside info

This means you made it up to get a rise out of people here.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #376 on: April 29, 2014, 05:45:01 PM »
Believe what you want to believe.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #377 on: April 29, 2014, 06:03:16 PM »
I had an interesting evening during that storm!

Video?

Death on call

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #378 on: April 29, 2014, 06:35:12 PM »

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #379 on: April 29, 2014, 06:39:50 PM »
Is he good friends with Looney?  They might be able to play 1 year together.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #380 on: April 29, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »
look on 247 everyone that was on MU is now switching to UCLA.  I did hear recently from inside Diamond does like us so knock on wood for a great last push. 
Diamond Stone is in a very nice position. He can choose exactly where he wants to go. I see three choices . Local, Blue Blood, Glamour. If comes down to local it is Us Versus Wisconsin, Blue Blood UNC, Duke , Kentucky and Glamour UCLA. At this point I put the probability weighting as equal so we have a one in six chance at getting him.  That is actually a pretty high chance. When Magic Johnson was being recruited Michigan State switched coaches in the middle of the process. Johnson loved Gus Ganakas and had no clue about Jud Heathcoate. He was also looking at Michigan, UNC and UCLA.At the end of the day the mother and father had the most influence and they pushed him to stay home where they knew he would thrive. I think our best asset right now is that Deonte and Duane are enjoying the overall school experience. Kids influence other kids more than you would think.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #381 on: April 29, 2014, 09:18:44 PM »
1:6> 1:200. Neither one means a damn thing.

BUZZLESS

• Walk-On
« Reply #382 on: April 30, 2014, 02:21:41 PM »
Is he good friends with Looney?  They might be able to play 1 year together.
                                                                                                                                                  Not sure about Looney but I know for a fact he's good friends with JP Tokoto(UNC Tar Heel). There kind of like Fred and Barney Rubble.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #383 on: April 30, 2014, 02:44:53 PM »
I would chalk up the recent UCLA surge to the fact that Buzz left and Stone just visited UCLA. The experts at 247 flip flop all the time.

Give CoWojo some time to get acquainted with the Stones. Diamond loved Marquette even though he and his family didn't totally buy into Buzz. If Wojo can build a solid rapport, I'm feeling very confident.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #384 on: April 30, 2014, 02:46:33 PM »
I'm thinking the quality of a basketball program is probably more important than the quality of the city the program is in when it comes to where a player who most likely thinks he will spend about 7 months of his life at when he is deciding where he will go to college.  National Champions > Nice city.  Just a hunch.

It could also come down to the fact that he will never have to attend a single class at UConn.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #385 on: April 30, 2014, 02:48:08 PM »
Diamond Stone is in a very nice position. He can choose exactly where he wants to go. I see three choices . Local, Blue Blood, Glamour. If comes down to local it is Us Versus Wisconsin, Blue Blood UNC, Duke , Kentucky and Glamour UCLA. At this point I put the probability weighting as equal so we have a one in six chance at getting him.  That is actually a pretty high chance. When Magic Johnson was being recruited Michigan State switched coaches in the middle of the process. Johnson loved Gus Ganakas and had no clue about Jud Heathcoate. He was also looking at Michigan, UNC and UCLA.At the end of the day the mother and father had the most influence and they pushed him to stay home where they knew he would thrive. I think our best asset right now is that Deonte and Duane are enjoying the overall school experience. Kids influence other kids more than you would think.

Some of those bluebloods are also glamorous and vice versa.  

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #386 on: April 30, 2014, 02:48:55 PM »
I would chalk up the recent UCLA surge to the fact that Buzz left and Stone just visited UCLA. The experts at 247 flip flop all the time.

Give CoWojo some time to get acquainted with the Stones. Diamond loved Marquette even though he and his family didn't totally buy into Buzz. If Wojo can build a solid rapport, I'm feeling very confident.

+1

We still have a surge for Duke, UNC and Kentucky to come and, hopefully, another MU surge after that.

The only time the list matters is in the few days before he announces.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 02:53:06 PM by Heisenberg »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #387 on: April 30, 2014, 03:04:09 PM »
                                                                                                                                                 Not sure about Looney but I know for a fact he's good friends with JP Tokoto(UNC Tar Heel). There kind of like Fred and Barney Rubble.

You mean that Diamond is always trying to take JP's breakfast?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/e/2vyMD3PAv4I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/e/2vyMD3PAv4I</a>
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 03:05:58 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #388 on: April 30, 2014, 09:03:56 PM »

ESPN rankings for the 2014 class

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/order/true

#5 Emmanuel Mudiay from Dallas going to SMU
#14 Isaiah Whitehead from Brooklyn going to Seton Hall
#19 Rashad Vaughn from Finday Prep going to UNLV
#20 James Blackmon, Jr. from Marion Indana going to Indiana

ESPN rankings for the 2013 class

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2013

#10 Kasey Hill Clarmont FL to Florida
#11 Jarrell Martin from Baton Rouge going to LSU
#12 Chris Walker from Bonifay, FL to Florida
#15 Austin Nichols from Eads TN to Memphis
#16 Bobby Portis from Little Rock to Arkansas
#19 Nigel Williams-Goss from Happy Valley OR, to Washington

ESPN rankings for the 2012 class
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2012

#3 Isaiah Austin from Austin TX to Baylor
#7 Anthony Bennett from Findlay Prep to UNLV
#8 Cameron Ridley from Fort Bend TX to Texas
#10 Marcus Smart from Fort Mound Texas to Oklahoma State
#17 Sam Dekker from Sheboygan, WI to Wisconsin
#18 Glenn Robinson from Saint John IN to Michigan
#19 Danuel House from Sugar Land, TX to Houston
#20 Rodney Purvis from Raleigh, NC to NC State

We can add #2 Myles Turner to this list now.  The Texas native just committed to UT
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/10862976/myles-turner-nation-no-2-recruit-play-texas-longhorns

Can we put to rest that top 5 recruits only go to blue bloods?  2 of the top 5 in next years freshmen class picked local options.

One in the 2015 class has already picked a local option (#3 Simmons chose LSU).

So, yes nothing unusual about Diamond Stone of Milwaukee picking MU, these types of decisions happen all the time.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:07:01 PM by Heisenberg »

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #389 on: April 30, 2014, 09:07:07 PM »
Quote from: Heisenberg on April 27, 2014, 01:41:09 PM
ESPN rankings for the 2014 class

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/order/true

#5 Emmanuel Mudiay from Dallas going to SMU
#14 Isaiah Whitehead from Brooklyn going to Seton Hall
#19 Rashad Vaughn from Finday Prep going to UNLV
#20 James Blackmon, Jr. from Marion Indana going to Indiana

ESPN rankings for the 2013 class

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2013

#10 Kasey Hill Clarmont FL to Florida
#11 Jarrell Martin from Baton Rouge going to LSU
#12 Chris Walker from Bonifay, FL to Florida
#15 Austin Nichols from Eads TN to Memphis
#16 Bobby Portis from Little Rock to Arkansas
#19 Nigel Williams-Goss from Happy Valley OR, to Washington

ESPN rankings for the 2012 class
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2012

#3 Isaiah Austin from Austin TX to Baylor
#7 Anthony Bennett from Findlay Prep to UNLV
#8 Cameron Ridley from Fort Bend TX to Texas
#10 Marcus Smart from Fort Mound Texas to Oklahoma State
#17 Sam Dekker from Sheboygan, WI to Wisconsin
#18 Glenn Robinson from Saint John IN to Michigan
#19 Danuel House from Sugar Land, TX to Houston
#20 Rodney Purvis from Raleigh, NC to NC State

We can add #2 Myles turner to this list now.  The Texas native just committed to UT
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/10862976/myles-turner-nation-no-2-recruit-play-texas-longhorns

Can we put to rest that top 5 recruits only go to blue bloods?  2 of the top 5 in next years freshmen class picked local options.

One in the 2015 class has already picked a local option (#3 Simmons chose LSU).

So, yes nothing unusual about Diamond Stone of Milwaukee picking MU, these types of decisions happen all the time.

Still, blue bloods will always have a better chance landing the 'hometown kid'

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #390 on: April 30, 2014, 09:09:32 PM »
Still, blue bloods will always have a better chance landing the 'hometown kid'

Yes but the odds are not 1/200

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #391 on: May 01, 2014, 05:20:55 AM »
JP won't be there by the time Stone gets there will he? J.P is a senior next year. . .

I say he comes here to MU or UCLA. But he would be a perfect fit up in Madison at UW in the Big Ten in all honesty and all homerism aside.

Classic Big Ten player.

Bo would do wonders with him. I'm just saying. If he was my kid that is where I would tell him to go...basketball wise.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 05:23:28 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #392 on: May 01, 2014, 06:27:39 AM »
JP won't be there by the time Stone gets there will he? J.P is a senior next year. . .

I say he comes here to MU or UCLA. But he would be a perfect fit up in Madison at UW in the Big Ten in all honesty and all homerism aside.

Classic Big Ten player.

Bo would do wonders with him. I'm just saying. If he was my kid that is where I would tell him to go...basketball wise.

"J.P is a senior next year. . ."

Actually, no.  J.P is a junior next year, so they'd have one year together.

You don't pay much attention to how Bo uses his centers, I suspect.

I agree that it looks like Marquette and UCLA will be there at the end.  UNC should be there too.  I'd feel better about our chances if Duke hadn't been written off before Wojo got the MU job.  Still he was, for a while, a MU lean at a time when his dad was skeptical about Buzz's sincerity, and Wojo was the big man coach for Duke....
Overall, I see a better than 1/6th chance.  I really believe that (at this point) we are the local option.  Better prospects at the point guard position would help, I'm sure.  Hopefully, Nick re-ups, and/or Glyn Watson commits.

People talking about Kentucky (at this point) shows that they are out of the loop.  Recruiting analysts who specialize in Kentucky recruiting wrote him off a while ago.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:46:37 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #393 on: May 01, 2014, 07:54:48 AM »

Classic Big Ten player.

Stones game is not a good fit for uw imo. Ellensen would fit there better.

spottedbadger

• Walk-On
« Reply #394 on: May 01, 2014, 08:05:18 AM »
Stones game is not a good fit for uw imo. Ellensen would fit there better.

I'm not here to flame or anything...but I totally disagree. Frank Kamisnky can shoot the three ball and he's recognized for his ability to play inside and outside, but what allowed him to be so effective down the stretch and emerge as a playmaker was his low post game. He displayed how effective a true low post center can play in UW's offense.

The fact of the matter is, Diamond Stone would almost never be double teamed down on the block or in the paint because opposing defenses can't afford to do that against UW's three point shooters. It's basically the same principal that allows UW to kill zone defenses. And you don't need to shoot threes to be an effective big man in UW's offense. Just look at what Nigel Hayes did this season without shooting a single three pointer. Then throw in the fact that Bronson Koenig would be his PG in the pick and roll and that's just money in the bank.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #395 on: May 01, 2014, 08:12:35 AM »
I'm not here to flame or anything...but I totally disagree. Frank Kamisnky can shoot the three ball and he's recognized for his ability to play inside and outside, but what allowed him to be so effective down the stretch and emerge as a playmaker was his low post game. He displayed how effective a true low post center can play in UW's offense.

The fact of the matter is, Diamond Stone would almost never be double teamed down on the block or in the paint because opposing defenses can't afford to do that against UW's three point shooters. It's basically the same principal that allows UW to kill zone defenses. And you don't need to shoot threes to be an effective big man in UW's offense. Just look at what Nigel Hayes did this season without shooting a single three pointer. Then throw in the fact that Bronson Koenig would be his PG in the pick and roll and that's just money in the bank.

While I'm not agreeing with the guy that you are quoting, you have to acknowledge that UW won't have the same players in 2015 with Diamond Stone that they have had this year with Kaminsky.  Diamond and Frank are TOTALLY different players, and the players that will be around with Diamond won't automatically be great 3 point shooters.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #396 on: May 01, 2014, 09:03:49 AM »
While I'm not agreeing with the guy that you are quoting, you have to acknowledge that UW won't have the same players in 2015 with Diamond Stone that they have had this year with Kaminsky.  Diamond and Frank are TOTALLY different players, and the players that will be around with Diamond won't automatically be great 3 point shooters.

So the Badgers will have different players in 2015? Hell of a revelation. Do you think Bo is going to suddenly start recruiting switchables that can’t shoot the three? Bo’s system and the type of player he recruits are incredibly consistent if nothing else.

Spottedbadger,

Stone will be a great player in any system, but it is not a reach to say his skill set does not perfectly match up with the prototypical Bo recruit. Stones weaknesses are big parts of the Badger system. That being said, Stone would still flourish at UW because he is such a dominant inside force offensively and defensively and can pass very well. I just think there are programs and coaches, better suited to his skill set.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 09:19:24 AM by hairyworthen »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #397 on: May 01, 2014, 09:12:26 AM »

No flaming, no trolling, just a thoughtful expression of the Badger point of view.  Most posters here are glad to have such posts here anytime.  We get input from regulars who are Creighton and Georgetown fans, as well.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

spottedbadger

• Walk-On
« Reply #398 on: May 01, 2014, 11:27:34 PM »
So the Badgers will have different players in 2015? Hell of a revelation. Do you think Bo is going to suddenly start recruiting switchables that can’t shoot the three? Bo’s system and the type of player he recruits are incredibly consistent if nothing else.

Spottedbadger,

Stone will be a great player in any system, but it is not a reach to say his skill set does not perfectly match up with the prototypical Bo recruit. Stones weaknesses are big parts of the Badger system. That being said, Stone would still flourish at UW because he is such a dominant inside force offensively and defensively and can pass very well. I just think there are programs and coaches, better suited to his skill set.

It's hard for me to agree or disagree with that statement because both situations are so fluid at this point in time. As you said, and which I think is correct both of Stone and of skilled big men in general, Stone will be a great player in any system. To me, there's really no preeminent "big man" school, head coach, or offense that exists in college basketball. I mean, if you look at all of the star big men in the NBA right now there's literally no uniformity or common thread connecting them other than talent.

And Bo Ryan's "system" was incredibly fluid last season. Sure they ran some standard 4 out 1 in motion offense, but they also ran some dribble drive, some pick and roll, isos for Kaminsky, and even some triangle concepts. I think at this point, Bo's offense is a lot more tailored to individual players' strength than it has been in the past, and the Final Four run is evidence of that. I mean they literally played through Kaminsky.

I guess you'd have to expand on what you fell Stone's weaknesses are and how it relates to UW's offense for me to agree or disagree with your original point, but as I said in my original post, I don't think 3 point shooting is some sort of obstacle to play in UW's offense. Luke Winn conveniently posted a clip illustrating just how effective I think Diamond Stone could be in UW's offense. Opposing guards just simply can't double down low. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zXe4yXFVTI

Oh and for the record, unfortunately I don't think Stone will be playing his college ball in the state of Wisconsin. I don't have any inside information, but I just get the feeling that he'll wind up at a place like UNC or UCLA.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 11:30:54 PM by spottedbadger »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #399 on: May 01, 2014, 11:30:51 PM »
Thoughtful non-flaming posts from a badger. Who'd a thunk it? Cheers to you sir.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback