'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Wojo Telling Us Something  (Read 27015 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Is Wojo Telling Us Something
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2016, 09:47:50 AM »
We can agree to disagree on a lot of this, but he absolutely has shown range out to 20 feet.  Like I said, it has been inconsistent, but he turned 19 years old yesterday and has a lot of time to develop that part of his game.  But to say "he certainly has not demonstrated that he has range to 20 feet" is wrong.  The college 3 point line is 20 feet 9 inches from the hoop.  He has made 14 3 pointers this season.  Again, it's inconsistent, but he has shown he has range out to 20 feet.  And it's only going to develop further.

You essentially just said that right now he does nothing well besides shoot from the mid range (doesn't shoot well from deep, doesn't have a post game, handles the ball well only compared to big men, isn't a good passer, isn't athletic, isn't physical)...yet he's the 4th highest scorer in the Big East and the leading rebounder in the Big East, arguably the best conference in America.  Something's gotta give...

I didn't say it in so many words, as I called it a nose for the ball, but the best thing he does right now is that he is a tremendous rebounder.  This team is going to miss that more than anything else he does next year.  I guess you can say that because he has made some 3 pointers he has demonstrated range out to 20 ft, but frankly, whenever he takes a 3 point shot my initial thought is "No!" and I am surprised if it goes in.  The way I look at it, he has not demonstrated that a 20 footer is a good idea for him.  Your definition is different from mine, and thats OK. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:36:48 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2016, 09:47:55 AM »
We might be lucky that they changed the rule, so you can enter the draft and still withdraw sometime in May. Ellenson will get a good idea where he stands in the draft. What would hurt would be Henry leaving thinking he is a top 10 pick and then turning out he is a late 1st round or second round pick. He should go if he is a top 10 pick.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2016, 10:06:30 AM »
He should, he's surely not ready for the NBA based on his season so far.  Maybe something drastically changes in the 2nd half of the season.
What do you mean by should? He should do it because it's the best for his long-term prospects? It's saves him the embarrassment of only only getting 20 minutes a game next year on a NBA team despite growing at that level? Or he should stay so you can watch him lead MU to a final four? What about playing inferior talent in college makes someone better?

Just because he isn't "NBA Ready" doesn't mean he will be better off staying at Marquette. You only stay* if you can drastically improve your draft stock or if you are a bubble pick and you are close to a degree to fall back on. Hell, from a player development standpoint D. James should have went after his freshman year. His draft stock was at an all-time high and he would've at least been drafted based on potential. That's an extra three years of income he would have in pocket right now in what is a relatively short shelf-life. That MU degree isn't worth much considering he isn't using it right now and he always would have had the option of getting the degree later on/through summer courses.

*By this I mean as player development. If Henry personally wants to stay another year, he should for a life enjoyment stand point. He probably has an insurance policy so he's a millionaire whether he gets hurt or not.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2016, 10:51:03 AM »
We might be lucky that they changed the rule, so you can enter the draft and still withdraw sometime in May. Ellenson will get a good idea where he stands in the draft. What would hurt would be Henry leaving thinking he is a top 10 pick and then turning out he is a late 1st round or second round pick. He should go if he is a top 10 pick.

Let me go out on a limb and say that Henry won't be participating in the combine.  It can only hurt his stock.

brandx

« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2016, 11:10:57 AM »

Let me go out on a limb and say that Henry won't be participating in the combine.  It can only hurt his stock.

Probably only attend to get measured like a lot of guys do now. No need to get out on the floor.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2016, 11:30:10 AM »
Henry is a lottery pick. There is no doubt of that. History overwhelmingly suggests that he will go pro. These things are hard to deny.  But unless you have had heard from Henry himself ( you cleaning his teeth 4ever?), you don't know crapt. From everything I've heard, Henry himself hasn't decided.

Do I think he'll stay? Nope. But that's an opinion, not a fact.

I'll comment on this in April.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2016, 11:42:49 AM »
I'll comment on this in April.

Coming from someone who has actually spoken to Henry, we'll all await your comment.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2016, 12:20:35 PM »
One thing a lot of people are ignoring here:

The 2016 draft is extremely weak. The 2017 draft is loaded.

but what about the 2019 draft?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2016, 12:48:51 PM »
Yeah, yeah. He gowne, etc.

But I found this interesting. HP does a nice job with NBA stuff, so it was interesting to read their scouting report on Henry. Here's the summary, but it's worth checking out.

Ellenson’s talented, and this is certain. A big his size with the ability to vacuum up rebounds and attack off the dribble is a valuable NBA player, and many of the things he has struggled with this season (defensive positioning, 3-point shooting, decisiveness) will improve as he matures.

Ellenson just turned 19-years-old on Wednesday and is displaying fairly typical freshman traits that will likely improve with time. However, enough of Ellenson’s game is lacking polish that he may actually benefit from staying in school for another season to work on his weaknesses, such as outside shooting and offensive polish, which could make him a more enticing prospect for NBA teams.

Ellenson would be able to contribute more immediately offensively this way, which will be important for his ability to get minutes because defensive development is likely a multi-year project for him. As the season continues on, it will be interesting to see how much more comfortable Ellenson gets on the offensive end, because that could pay large dividends for him regarding his draft position.

http://upsidemotor.com/2016/01/14/henry-ellenson-2016-nba-draft-scouting-report-marquette/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2016, 01:36:13 PM »
Yeah. He gowne.

FIFY.

There are very, very, very, very few rookies, especially 19 year old rookies, who understand defensive positioning and have the ability to contribute in a positive way defensively in the NBA.  Just about every rookie in the NBA has a multi year process to perfect their defensive production.

Offensively Hank is as polished as they come outside of being able to consistently knock down the perimeter jumper.  Once he gets that skill down (and he will) everything else comes that much easier for him.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 01:47:55 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2016, 01:43:52 PM »
Aside from being repetitive, this topic has gotten beyond silly.

If Henry is a lottery pick -- and most believe he will be -- he of course "should" go. Unless, of course, he really loves the Marquette experience and wants to play a second season of college ball.

It really is that simple. I don't know why some try to make it more complicated than that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2016, 01:50:09 PM »
This was the first draft/scouting piece I had seen suggest maybe staying another year, which is why I shared it.

And of course he should go if he's a high lottery pick.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2016, 05:51:46 PM »
I've completely stopped thinking about whether Henry stays or goes. Not even a consideration. I would rather just enjoy what he's doing while he's here. I'm treating him like a senior and enjoying watching his season. If he gets the Otule treatment and gets to say an extra year (or two) I'm all for it, but not counting on it. Better to enjoy the present than stress about the uncertain future.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2016, 08:31:19 PM »
Yeah, yeah. He gowne, etc.

But I found this interesting. HP does a nice job with NBA stuff, so it was interesting to read their scouting report on Henry. Here's the summary, but it's worth checking out.

Ellenson’s talented, and this is certain. A big his size with the ability to vacuum up rebounds and attack off the dribble is a valuable NBA player, and many of the things he has struggled with this season (defensive positioning, 3-point shooting, decisiveness) will improve as he matures.

Ellenson just turned 19-years-old on Wednesday and is displaying fairly typical freshman traits that will likely improve with time. However, enough of Ellenson’s game is lacking polish that he may actually benefit from staying in school for another season to work on his weaknesses, such as outside shooting and offensive polish, which could make him a more enticing prospect for NBA teams.

Ellenson would be able to contribute more immediately offensively this way, which will be important for his ability to get minutes because defensive development is likely a multi-year project for him. As the season continues on, it will be interesting to see how much more comfortable Ellenson gets on the offensive end, because that could pay large dividends for him regarding his draft position.

http://upsidemotor.com/2016/01/14/henry-ellenson-2016-nba-draft-scouting-report-marquette/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

http://thesixersense.com/author/tdmagnotti/

Is that the author? I've never heard of this site before...so is it a fan content site like B/R used to be?

Why is that guys post any different than one of ours? I'm unfamiliar with the site so I apologize if this guy is a legit reporter and not just a random blogger.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2016, 10:29:08 PM »
Vacuum up rebounds? Despite the fact that Henry averages almost 10 rebounds a game he is not an aggressive rebounder. He does not rebound outside of his area. He really does not jump for rebounds. He gets rebounds because of his size and great hands. He loses a lot of rebounds because he is basically flat footed while a smaller player goes more aggressively after the rebound. I like to track Ellenson's rebounds during the game and he can go several minutes without coming close to a rebound. He had eight rebounds with about 10 minutes to go against Villanova and that is what he finished with. He moved into second place last night for MU rebounds by a freshmen. He now has 167 rebounds and has passed in 17 games Key 165, Powell 161, Blankston 160, James and McNeal 140, Mason 138, Copa 134, MacIlvanie 132 and Miller 128. He should pass up Ellis, but it will take another 10 or more games to catch Ellis who had 264 rebounds. Think about Ellis getting 264 rebounds playing next to Maurice Lucas and his Ellis' number is even more amazing. Yes, Ellenson should end up being MU's all-time leading freshmen rebounder, but there is no way I would call him a great rebounder and I think he would get out hustle for almost every rebound in an NBA game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2016, 11:04:00 PM »
Vacuum up rebounds? Despite the fact that Henry averages almost 10 rebounds a game he is not an aggressive rebounder. He does not rebound outside of his area. He really does not jump for rebounds. He gets rebounds because of his size and great hands. He loses a lot of rebounds because he is basically flat footed while a smaller player goes more aggressively after the rebound. I like to track Ellenson's rebounds during the game and he can go several minutes without coming close to a rebound. He had eight rebounds with about 10 minutes to go against Villanova and that is what he finished with. He moved into second place last night for MU rebounds by a freshmen. He now has 167 rebounds and has passed in 17 games Key 165, Powell 161, Blankston 160, James and McNeal 140, Mason 138, Copa 134, MacIlvanie 132 and Miller 128. He should pass up Ellis, but it will take another 10 or more games to catch Ellis who had 264 rebounds. Think about Ellis getting 264 rebounds playing next to Maurice Lucas and his Ellis' number is even more amazing. Yes, Ellenson should end up being MU's all-time leading freshmen rebounder, but there is no way I would call him a great rebounder and I think he would get out hustle for almost every rebound in an NBA game.

You're right. There's no reason the guy (a freshman) isn't leading the Big East (considered one of the most physical conferences in the country) in rebounds. Oh wait...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2016, 11:30:04 PM »
You're right. There's no reason the guy (a freshman) isn't leading the Big East (considered one of the most physical conferences in the country) in rebounds. Oh wait...
I am right, if you actually concentrate on how he gets his rebounds. He is a position rebounder and gets them because of his size and hands. Those advantages are gone once he gets to the NBA and he will be playing against players as big as him who actually can jump.

brandx

« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2016, 11:39:31 PM »
http://thesixersense.com/author/tdmagnotti/

Is that the author? I've never heard of this site before...so is it a fan content site like B/R used to be?

Why is that guys post any different than one of ours? I'm unfamiliar with the site so I apologize if this guy is a legit reporter and not just a random blogger.

He's no more legit than you or I. He's an Assistant Trainer at Ohio U. That's the extent of his NBA cred.

I could turn this into a Ners routine, but I'll pass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2016, 06:08:58 AM »
I am right, if you actually concentrate on how he gets his rebounds. He is a position rebounder and gets them because of his size and hands. Those advantages are gone once he gets to the NBA and he will be playing against players as big as him who actually can jump.

Have you watched Greg Monroe play?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2016, 08:33:24 AM »
He's no more legit than you or I. He's an Assistant Trainer at Ohio U. That's the extent of his NBA cred.

Fair enough. I didn't look into the author, I just know the parent site has produced some good NBA content over the years.