[Today at 10:46:03 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Viper
[Today at 10:44:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coach K retiring after this season  (Read 17267 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Coach K retiring after this season
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2021, 03:36:52 PM »
Scheyer will probably get two seasons to prove that he can keep things moving - this isn't a rebuild or complete reinvention, they're just passing the baton.  Getting time to recruit "his guys" or implementing "his system" doesn't really apply here.  If he isn't finishing top 4 in the ACC and getting a decent seed in the tourney by his second season, I'm willing to bet Duke moves on.

On the flip side, maybe Scheyer is the one guy who can keep things ticking in the Duke way, and his youth could be seen as a huge advantage in the current recruiting environment.  Coaches like Boeheim and Roy Williams bemoaning the reality of more transfers just proves that they're out of touch with the guys they're recruiting.   Scheyer will be, what, 34 when he takes over?  He probably won't have the same crusty mentality. 

Exactly.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2021, 04:15:46 PM »
I wonder how Nate James feels about all this?

Probably like a guy who moved on because he knew he wasn't getting the gig.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2021, 04:21:29 PM »
How happy would MU fans be if MU hired Scheyer? How impressed would the nation (media and fans) be if MU hired Scheyer?

If Scheyer turnss out to be great, I'll be pissed at Coach K for recommending Wojo over Scheyer.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2021, 04:24:07 PM »
How happy would MU fans be if MU hired Scheyer? How impressed would the nation (media and fans) be if MU hired Scheyer?

If Scheyer turnss out to be great, I'll be pissed at Coach K for recommending Wojo over Scheyer.

Scheyer took Wojo's spot when he came to MU so...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2021, 04:52:14 PM »

Scheyer wasn't coaching when Marquette hired Wojo.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2021, 07:13:40 PM »

I'm gonna give you credit for sarcasm here ... because I'm pretty sure you know that Scheyer was a kid who was still hoping to have a playing career when Buzz left Marquette.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2021, 07:39:16 PM »
I'm gonna give you credit for sarcasm here ... because I'm pretty sure you know that Scheyer was a kid who was still hoping to have a playing career when Buzz left Marquette.
It was sarcasm. Should have used teal. My bad.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2021, 08:47:51 PM »

He is qualified on paper.  But most coaches are fired and I think he will be as well.  That doesn't mean they weren't qualified when they were fired.  I mean, Wojo was qualified right?
Not like Shaka was...but just as much or more so than Buzz.  Obviously, it can work...but if I'm a Duke fan I would have wanted 20 guys before Scheyer...and I'm praying that Duke believes they have a unicorn. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2021, 11:19:05 PM »

Just because they can attract higher quality candidates, that doesn't mean the selected candidate is "unqualified."  Promoting an assistant has been done at plenty of places that may have been able to attract a higher level coach.
True. But just as a student might be qualified to attend Marquette or UW but not Duke, so a coach who might be qualified to take over Marquette or UW but not Duke. IMO.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2021, 11:37:51 PM »
This thread has revealed nothing about coach k and a lot about the people who assume different things about the way he thinks.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2021, 11:49:34 PM »
Probably like a guy who moved on because he knew he wasn't getting the gig.

Could be but Nate is more qualified on paper, same title with a promotion. Three Natty rings.  <shrug>

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2021, 11:34:16 AM »
This thread has revealed nothing about coach k and a lot about the people who assume different things about the way he thinks.
I stand corrected. Coach K is a Saint, his program is squeaky clean, and he would never do anything to undermine the school to further his own legacy.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2021, 11:55:43 AM »
if wojo stayed at duke does he grt the job instead of scheyer

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2021, 12:26:35 PM »
Probably

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2021, 12:35:05 PM »
I would think so, he took him to help coach NBA players.
Goal is National Championship

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2021, 04:14:13 PM »

Yes he does. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2021, 05:28:18 PM »

People don’t like Coach K because they’re jealous at how wildly successful he is, first and foremost.  Is he a whiner and windbag at times?  Absolutely, but no one would care if he wasn’t one of the greatest to ever coach. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2021, 11:24:05 PM »
People don’t like Coach K because they’re jealous at how wildly successful he is, first and foremost.  Is he a whiner and windbag at times?  Absolutely, but no one would care if he wasn’t one of the greatest to ever coach.

For the most part this is true. I think there are some legit reasons not to like the man. However, I do not like him and I cannot really delineate the reasons why.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2021, 11:47:22 PM »
Yes he does. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

As funny as it sounds, long term, it was probably better for Wojo to go to Marquette instead of stay, even if he would have been the guy instead of Scheyer.  Especially financially.  He made more here than doing the same floundering at Duke and getting tossed after 2-3 years.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2021, 12:21:37 AM »
As funny as it sounds, long term, it was probably better for Wojo to go to Marquette instead of stay, even if he would have been the guy instead of Scheyer.  Especially financially.  He made more here than doing the same floundering at Duke and getting tossed after 2-3 years.

Considering how K is setting up this succession plan and doing it over a year (unlike Roy) Scheyer is going to be successful out of the gate and get at least 5 years. It’s Duke.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2021, 05:57:11 AM »
For the most part this is true. I think there are some legit reasons not to like the man. However, I do not like him and I cannot really delineate the reasons why.

Coach K might be the devil incarnate, but after his halftime adjustments in the 2015 Championship Game, I'd forgive him (and Grayson Allen) of just about anything.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2021, 06:16:10 AM »
My dislike started when he put Elton Brand, and others, through hell for wanting to leave early.  A coach like Al would say "takr the money" and admit to not being perfect while trying to do right by his players.  K projected to be perfect and pulled crap like that.  Not a terrible man by any means...but not a guy I liked to cheer for.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #122 on: June 05, 2021, 06:57:16 AM »
Coach K might be the devil incarnate, but after his halftime adjustments in the 2015 Championship Game, I'd forgive him (and Grayson Allen) of just about anything.
Yeah I didn’t care for him (and pretty much always rooted for Duke to lose) until that game which was glorious.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: June 05, 2021, 08:00:43 AM »

So true, brewski. I was cheering for Duke as if K was my best friend!

As for the coaching change ...

There are those who don't think K is a very good game coach, including some on this board who have said stuff like, "A whole lot of coaches would win just as much, if not more, with the talent they have every year."

So maybe Scheyer actually will be an improvement as a game coach!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2021, 08:18:22 AM »
My dislike started when he put Elton Brand, and others, through hell for wanting to leave early.  A coach like Al would say "takr the money" and admit to not being perfect while trying to do right by his players.  K projected to be perfect and pulled crap like that.  Not a terrible man by any means...but not a guy I liked to cheer for.

That’s part of his story but I thought that was more Corey Maggette and William Avery than Brand.  Different time and era.  His thoughts on that evolved through the years as evidenced by utilizing one-and-dones, though, I’d argue that he was better served with veteran rosters. 

I don’t think NIL and transfers actually would have been a problem for him or Roy.  They’d have thrived in any ecosystem of college basketball
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.