[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8506610 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 12/15/18
« Reply #15675 on: January 06, 2019, 06:03:24 PM »
Part of the reason Symir committed now, was to "stake out " his position in the class. Very smart move on his part. 
I would take either Polk or Beekman if they offered to sign right now.  Would like them for their talent and also the linkage to possibly getting Jalen Jones or Jamari Sibley from their club.

I think you mean Jalen Johnson. And I don’t think that had anything to do with why Symir committed now. He knew where he wanted to go and committed.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Recruiting as of 1/15/19
« Reply #15676 on: January 06, 2019, 06:03:56 PM »
I think I want Dawson Garcia in this class more than any other player. He looks really really good. Johnson is better obviously but he is a for sure one and done. I think Garcia is a multi-year player but I could see him going if he gets stronger and continues to improve.

I think if a domino were to fall soon, it would be Strawther. Not sure if we did enough on his visit to get the commit or not.

We got a lot of good irons in the fire. Symir is a great first piece to a potentially elite class. Nice to get the most important position taken care of early.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #15677 on: January 06, 2019, 06:34:06 PM »
I think I want Dawson Garcia in this class more than any other player. He looks really really good. Johnson is better obviously but he is a for sure one and done. I think Garcia is a multi-year player but I could see him going if he gets stronger and continues to improve.

I think if a domino were to fall soon, it would be Strawther. Not sure if we did enough on his visit to get the commit or not.

We got a lot of good irons in the fire. Symir is a great first piece to a potentially elite class. Nice to get the most important position taken care of early.

Agreed, with a PG/CG already set, a 6'10 guy like Garcia would be a huge get, moreso than any other position IMO. Don't get me wrong, I'll take Strwather, Burnett, or JJ.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #15678 on: January 06, 2019, 06:47:36 PM »
Nimari Burnett just followed a marquette fan page on instagram.

Done deal?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15679 on: January 06, 2019, 07:25:30 PM »
I feel bad that we were all focused on the game and didn't do this for Symir.  Anyway, same day.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #15680 on: January 06, 2019, 07:52:28 PM »
Assuming Torrence stays in the class of 2020, Marquette will have the following players on the roster for next year assuming no additional movement.

Guards: Howard (SR), McEwen (R-JR), Elliott (R-SO), Akanno (FR)
Wings/Forwards: Anim (R-SR),S.Hauser (SR), Cain (JR), J.Hauser (R-SO), Bailey (SO)
Centers: Morrow (R-SR), John (JR), Eke (R-SO?)

It seems MU would be in a good position to try and grab a traditional sit-out transfer at the center position with their last scholarship for 2019. With Ed graduating after 2019 and Ike Eke's status being uncertain, a transfer would be able to step in behind John for a year and then take the reigns in 2020. If Torrence does move to 2019 this scenario may still be possible given Eke's back situation.

For 2020, the remaining focus would seem to be on adding some additional scoring power to replace Markus/Sam. You'd think the focus would primarily be on the wings & frontcourt but I could see them adding another guard as well.

Guards: McEwen (R-SR), Elliott (R-JR), Akanno (SO), Torrence (FR)
Wings/Forwards: Cain (SR), J.Hauser (R-JR), Bailey (JR)
Centers: John (SR), Eke (R-SO?), Transfer (R-SO/JR)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 06:44:49 AM by YoungMUFan4 »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15681 on: January 06, 2019, 08:43:37 PM »
Assuming Torrence stays in the class of 2020, Marquette will have the following players on the roster for next year assuming no additional movement.

Guards: Howard (SR), McEwen (R-JR), Elliott (R-SO), Akanno (FR)
Wings/Forwards: Anim (R-SR),S.Hauser (SR), Cain (R-JR), J.Hauser (R-SO), Bailey (SO)
Centers: Morrow (R-SR), John (JR), Eke (R-SO?)

It seems MU would be in a good position to try and grab a traditional sit-out transfer at the center position with their last scholarship for 2019. With Ed graduating after 2019 and Ike Eke's status being uncertain, a transfer would be able to step in behind John for a year and then take the reigns in 2020. If Torrence does move to 2019 this scenario may still be possible given Eke's back situation.

For 2020, the remaining focus would seem to be on adding some additional scoring power to replace Markus/Sam. You'd think the focus would primarily be on the wings & frontcourt but I could see them adding another guard as well.

Guards: McEwen (R-SR), Elliott (R-JR), Akanno (SO), Torrence (FR)
Wings/Forwards: Cain (R-SR), J.Hauser (R-JR), Bailey (JR)
Centers: John (SR), Eke (R-SO?), Transfer (R-SO/JR)
There is definitely a need to fill the pipeline with bigs. A sit out transfer with the last 2019 would be great. We are looking at quite a few very good front court prospects for 2020 and any of those would be a plus as well.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15682 on: January 06, 2019, 08:47:38 PM »
There is definitely a need to fill the pipeline with bigs. A sit out transfer with the last 2019 would be great. We are looking at quite a few very good front court prospects for 2020 and any of those would be a plus as well.

We've got enough '20 openings that I hope we get some 'best available'.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15683 on: January 06, 2019, 08:51:01 PM »
We've got enough '20 openings that I hope we get some 'best available'.
Yes the old Dallas Cowboys method always works. We do need a pogo stick type who can drive it to the hole and hopefully we could find one of those along the way.
            ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15684 on: January 07, 2019, 08:16:03 AM »
Yes, a pogo stick dat kan drive it two da hole, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15685 on: January 07, 2019, 08:23:39 AM »
In 2020, MU is going to have to replace Markus, Sam, Ed,  and Sacar.    Symir is a good start.    Ike Eke is a huge question mark.   If he is able to return and contribute, the need for a big is not immediate.    If not, of the other 3 scholarships, one has to be for a 5.   Then, if I had my druthers, a 6'8 stretch 4 and a 6'5-6 switchable. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15686 on: January 07, 2019, 08:38:08 AM »
In 2020, MU is going to have to replace Markus, Sam, Ed,  and Sacar.    Symir is a good start.    Ike Eke is a huge question mark.   If he is able to return and contribute, the need for a big is not immediate.    If not, of the other 3 scholarships, one has to be for a 5.   Then, if I had my druthers, a 6'8 stretch 4 and a 6'5-6 switchable.

It is possible that Ike's situation may prove 'permanent' and I'm assuming MU would then make 'other arrangements' for him.  I'd be very surprised if a non-contributing scholarship player would be allowed to utilize one of the 13 available for all 4 years if unable to play for medical reasons.  Of course we all want the best for Ike but my gut tells me that this will resolve itself one way or the other after this season.  Either Eke is fully cleared or he isn't counted against the eligibility total come summer '19.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #15687 on: January 07, 2019, 09:20:08 AM »

There’s also the possibility of having to replace Joey.

In the worst case scenario, I would think they’d do for Ike what they did for McMorrow. Still a full scholarship to finish school, but not counting against the basketball count.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #15688 on: January 07, 2019, 09:38:42 AM »
I like Dawson Garcia a lot. His game reminds me of Joey Hauser.  But the prospect of backing up Joey for two years might be a tough sell.  I'm thinking MU gets a different PF.  Lots of 6-7 to 6-9, long athletes being targeted: Lance Ware, Isaiah Cottrell,  Noah Collier, Jamari Sibley, and Justin Lewis.  Any one of them would do.

Dain Dainja is another favorite of mine.  A wide body with good feet in the post and a
perimeter jumper to boot.  I see some Omari Spellman in him.  He could replace Morrow as the backup 5  and start as a sophomore when Theo leaves.

A Sam Hauser replacement is also needed.   A 6-6 or 6-7 wing that can shoot, like Julian Strawther or Dalen Terry would fit the bill.

That leaves one spot for BPA.  Jalen Johnson, Jalen Suggs, Nimari Burnett, Ethan Morton, etc.

As always, the number of spots are fluid due to transfers in or out, and Eke's health situation.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #15689 on: January 07, 2019, 09:41:10 AM »
Regardless of Ike's health, the need for a big IS immediate IMO.  Ike was never more than a project to begin with, a flyer.  Maybe he develops and becomes a contributor, but to build the kind of program everyone wants you can't rely on him becoming an upper level BE center.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15690 on: January 07, 2019, 09:57:42 AM »
I like Dawson Garcia a lot. His game reminds me of Joey Hauser.  But the prospect of backing up Joey for two years might be a tough sell.  I'm thinking MU gets a different PF.  Lots of 6-7 to 6-9, long athletes being targeted: Lance Ware, Isaiah Cottrell,  Noah Collier, Jamari Sibley, and Justin Lewis.  Any one of them would do.

Dain Dainja is another favorite of mine.  A wide body with good feet in the post and a
perimeter jumper to boot.  I see some Omari Spellman in him.  He could replace Morrow as the backup 5  and start as a sophomore when Theo leaves.

A Sam Hauser replacement is also needed.   A 6-6 or 6-7 wing that can shoot, like Julian Strawther or Dalen Terry would fit the bill.

That leaves one spot for BPA.  Jalen Johnson, Jalen Suggs, Nimari Burnett, Ethan Morton, etc.

As always, the number of spots are fluid due to transfers in or out, and Eke's health situation.

I think the fact that we are playing Joey and Sam big minutes on the court together could go a long way towards showing Garcia that despite Joey's presence,  he could still play big minutes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #15691 on: January 07, 2019, 10:03:57 AM »

Any highly recruited bigman in 2020 would get considerable minutes at the center position, as Morrow is now.  Theo has not cut down on his propensity to get into continuous foul trouble and just cannot stay on the court.  As of now, he is averaging 17 minutes a game and four fouls in those minutes on the court. 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #15692 on: January 07, 2019, 10:21:12 AM »
I think the fact that we are playing Joey and Sam big minutes on the court together could go a long way towards showing Garcia that despite Joey's presence,  he could still play big minutes.

That's possible but Cain, Bailey, a SF recruit, and 3 guard lineups are other alternatives.

You could also play Joey as a small 5, with Garcia at the 4.  I still think it's a challenge though.  Other teams will no doubt sell a more direct path to playing time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15693 on: January 07, 2019, 10:35:00 AM »
There’s also the possibility of having to replace Joey.

Got into a long conversation about this with a half-dozen fellow Warriors at our game-watching gathering yesterday.

Joey could end up being even more enticing to NBA teams than Henry was. Henry's a little taller and a better rebounder, but Joey is at least as good an athlete (I believe better, especially defensively) and is a much better fit for the stretch-4 shooter that every single NBA team covets.

Joey already is good, obviously. I can see him being quite a stud in 2019-20, and at this point I'm wondering if he'll still be around for 2020-21 -- especially if he demonstrates an ability to hit NBA-range 3s. I think counting on him being a Warrior in 2021-22 is wishful thinking -- unless one means a Golden State Warrior.

Sam's shooting ability still makes him an NBA prospect, IMHO, but I think Joey will end up being the better one.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

burger

• All American
« Reply #15694 on: January 07, 2019, 10:42:03 AM »
What is Eke's status????

If it does improve soon.....I almost view us having 1 1/2 available scholarships.....

Things will work out.....One way or another......

I would certainly be looking for a "stud" traditional transfer. at any position.....AKA.....Like the Butler / Duke kid.....

Help in practice next year.....Step in the following year and help fill the "scoring void".......
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:44:00 AM by burger »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15695 on: January 07, 2019, 10:43:46 AM »
Regardless of Ike's health, the need for a big IS immediate IMO.  Ike was never more than a project to begin with, a flyer.  Maybe he develops and becomes a contributor, but to build the kind of program everyone wants you can't rely on him becoming an upper level BE center.
We need a big now with the last 2019.  Also should get one in the 2020 class.

I am a big Ike fan, but with the back issue the probability of him ever contributing is very low at this point. Even if he recovers he still needs a year of work and building his game, especially after sitting two years.
            ---Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15696 on: January 07, 2019, 10:50:17 AM »
MU82

I am with you in regards to Joey as a player. He really is gifted and I would be surprised if he played more than two years at MU. I have paying special attention to Joey the last handful games and he really is the real deal. Plus, he definitely knows the game at a very high level. He is quickly moving into my all time favorite group of MU players.

burger

• All American
« Reply #15697 on: January 07, 2019, 12:06:30 PM »
MU82

I am with you in regards to Joey as a player. He really is gifted and I would be surprised if he played more than two years at MU. I have paying special attention to Joey the last handful games and he really is the real deal. Plus, he definitely knows the game at a very high level. He is quickly moving into my all time favorite group of MU players.

He is just solid play this year......The game is clearly slowing for him.....

Next year he will take that next step where he can take over a game......
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 04:39:07 PM by burger »

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15698 on: January 07, 2019, 12:14:36 PM »
Got into a long conversation about this with a half-dozen fellow Warriors at our game-watching gathering yesterday.

Joey could end up being even more enticing to NBA teams than Henry was. Henry's a little taller and a better rebounder, but Joey is at least as good an athlete (I believe better, especially defensively) and is a much better fit for the stretch-4 shooter that every single NBA team covets.

Joey already is good, obviously. I can see him being quite a stud in 2019-20, and at this point I'm wondering if he'll still be around for 2020-21 -- especially if he demonstrates an ability to hit NBA-range 3s. I think counting on him being a Warrior in 2021-22 is wishful thinking -- unless one means a Golden State Warrior.

Sam's shooting ability still makes him an NBA prospect, IMHO, but I think Joey will end up being the better one.

Joey has been solid all year which is impressive enough as a Freshman, but all of his outside shots have pretty much been like Sam's were his freshman year, catch and shoot.  What really opened my eyes and got me thinking that he might not be around all 4 years was the long 2 pull up he had against X.  That was so smooth and looked like a 6-6 guy did it, and not a 6-9 player.  If he can show he can consistently hit shots off the dribble, there is no way he lasts all 4 years given how good he is at pretty much every other aspect of the game.  Once he adds more strength that will only help his defense and rebounding.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #15699 on: January 07, 2019, 12:17:11 PM »

Projecting Joey as an early draft candidate is premature.  This seems like typical rose colored glasses fandom.

Sure, he could blow up and turn pro after 2-3 years.  I think it is unlikely due to his limited length and athleticism.

The mismatches Joey gets in college will disappear in the NBA.  Let's see Joey matchup with other NBA prospects before anointing him.  I still think he profiles as a Kyle Singler type.  Singler was a 4 year player at Duke, was drafted early in the second round, and carved out a nice career as a backup.