collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Badgers smoked by Minnesota  (Read 4041 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Badgers smoked by Minnesota
« on: January 23, 2014, 11:56:56 AM »
My, my, what is going on in Madison?  Perhaps both the Warriors and Badgers seasons are a-changin'

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400509995
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Badgers smoked by Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 11:58:21 AM »
Three losses in a row for Bucky

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 12:06:53 PM »
They went to Canada, got in sync, started the regular season far ahead of their opponents in terms of execution and understanding what their roles are.   (One of the reasons I keep hyping like NERS on Dawson the idea of an overseas trip next summer)
But it is conference season time.   This year's bucky team is young and not very big.  Dekker is very good but he is playing a stretch 4 rather than a 3, along with 3 average sized guards.    Every coach in the B1G has a scouting report and a gameplan ready for Bo.   So, young, small, not tremendously athletic, the guards are having a difficult time stopping dribble penetration, no size on the back line to block shots.....   Execution, 3 pt shooting and the home court will win a lot of games.   Sometimes it isn't enough against bigger, stronger, more experienced teams that have seen everything your coach has in his bag of tricks.    However, Bo can still coach and almost everybody comes back next year.  And they will probably still end up a top 4 team in the B1G this year.   Just not as good as their 16-0 start led some to believe.     

Now, if you want to get in a discussion about a team outperforming predictions, grab Keefe and start talking Wolverines.   I still don't like them, but apparently, in the B1G, it is possible to lose a lottery pick and a quality big and still compete.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 12:10:55 PM »

Now, if you want to get in a discussion about a team outperforming predictions, grab Keefe and start talking Wolverines.   I still don't like them, but apparently, in the B1G, it is possible to lose a lottery pick and a quality big and still compete.   

for some coaches.  others just clap.

Bucky and MU both 3-3 in conference.  No one would have seen that coming.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 12:39:11 PM »
My, my, what is going on in Madison?  Perhaps both the Warriors and Badgers seasons are a-changin'

Clearly Crean showed the rest of the league how to beat them.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 12:45:36 PM »

By scoring more points???

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 12:51:28 PM »
They went to Canada, got in sync, started the regular season far ahead of their opponents in terms of execution and understanding what their roles are.   (One of the reasons I keep hyping like NERS on Dawson the idea of an overseas trip next summer)
But it is conference season time.   This year's bucky team is young and not very big.  Dekker is very good but he is playing a stretch 4 rather than a 3, along with 3 average sized guards.    Every coach in the B1G has a scouting report and a gameplan ready for Bo.   So, young, small, not tremendously athletic, the guards are having a difficult time stopping dribble penetration, no size on the back line to block shots.....   Execution, 3 pt shooting and the home court will win a lot of games.   Sometimes it isn't enough against bigger, stronger, more experienced teams that have seen everything your coach has in his bag of tricks.    However, Bo can still coach and almost everybody comes back next year.  And they will probably still end up a top 4 team in the B1G this year.   Just not as good as their 16-0 start led some to believe.     

uh.. not true. just take a look around.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 01:05:24 PM »

Actually, I think he did. Spread the floor, take their small and not so quick/athletic guards off the dribble and shoot lay ups and free throws all night. Minnesota scored on all but 6 second half possessions last night, averaging an unbelievable 1.75 points per possession. Bo is way too stubborn to change defenses and it's been their downfall. If you "can't guard a chair" (in the words of the Big's network analyst) then straight up, no help man to man won't get it done. There's a long thread on Badgernation bemoaning their lack of "athletes" (black players). Meanwhile some here beg for more "traditionals". Ironic how fans always long for what the other guy has - at least when their team is going through a rough patch.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 01:08:49 PM »

Ners' man crush on Dawsome is starting to pale in comparison to your consistent desire for MU to go overseas this summer. You are on board with that idea--that is crystal clear.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 01:10:19 PM »
I thought I was being too subtle. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 01:18:27 PM »
I thought I was being too subtle. 

Subtlety does not become you, tower. But I do agree that the off-shore gig would really help MU next season. We are going into 2014-15 with the least experience we have seen in years. 3 weeks organized ball will help immeasurably to gel the team. Ganzer's tourney is fun but it is playground ball with unis and refs. 

Death on call

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 01:30:43 PM »
How many points did Mbakwe have?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 01:41:07 PM »
How many points did Mbakwe have?

No points, but 35 rebounds.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 01:57:06 PM »

They didn't get smoked. MN shot 58% in the second half. It was a two possession game with about 3 to go. That said, UW's defense looks really bad right now. Their big men are really soft and their on ball defense looked out of sync. MN guards were getting in the lane at will. Doesn't look like a bo Ryan team.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 02:08:53 PM »
Actually, I think he did. Spread the floor, take their small and not so quick/athletic guards off the dribble and shoot lay ups and free throws all night. Minnesota scored on all but 6 second half possessions last night, averaging an unbelievable 1.75 points per possession. Bo is way too stubborn to change defenses and it's been their downfall. If you "can't guard a chair" (in the words of the Big's network analyst) then straight up, no help man to man won't get it done. There's a long thread on Badgernation bemoaning their lack of "athletes" (black players). Meanwhile some here beg for more "traditionals". Ironic how fans always long for what the other guy has - at least when their team is going through a rough patch.

Luckily Boeheim is NO Bo.
SS Marquette

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 02:09:02 PM »
They didn't get smoked. MN shot 58% in the second half. It was a two possession game with about 3 to go. That said, UW's defense looks really bad right now. Their big men are really soft and their on ball defense looked out of sync. MN guards were getting in the lane at will. Doesn't look like a bo Ryan team.

The game was never really in doubt though.  Wisconsin made a run, but Minnesota was in control of that game from early in the first half, even with arguably their best player out.  I agree with those who say that Wisconsin is being hurt by their defense, and Bo refusing to switch out of a man to man.  MSU will beat them by double digits, even in Madison, if they are still defending like this.

Dekker is an interesting case too.  He's really struggling defensively, and that could have been the least impressive 20 pts ever last night.  He's not very assertive and isn't taking control like everyone expected him to.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 02:22:25 PM »
Luckily Boeheim is NO Bo.
No, Boeheim is worse. He whines big time, and even worse, harbored/shielded "with no knowledge" a deviant, B. Fine
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

SuddenSam

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 02:22:30 PM »

Exactly, here's to MU's elevator going up while UW's going down.  Just like Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd, Trading Places from here on out.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 02:26:11 PM »
The game was never really in doubt though.  Wisconsin made a run, but Minnesota was in control of that game from early in the first half, even with arguably their best player out.  I agree with those who say that Wisconsin is being hurt by their defense, and Bo refusing to switch out of a man to man.  MSU will beat them by double digits, even in Madison, if they are still defending like this.

Dekker is an interesting case too.  He's really struggling defensively, and that could have been the least impressive 20 pts ever last night.  He's not very assertive and isn't taking control like everyone expected him to.

True, and MN lost one of their best players in the first minute of the game. Big ten is loaded, Gophers have a nice team, Mo Walker is a beast.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 02:28:50 PM »
Beating Wisconsin is simple.

Have great guards preferably a PG and you will roll.

That was why we couldn't score at will on them.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 02:49:56 PM »
IU deserves credit for their win over Wiscy.   Historically, Bo has coach Crean's number.    This year, what coach Crean teaches best, the high screen and roll with the ballhandler getting into the lane and deciding there, is Wiscy's weakness.   IU hit their shots, Wiscy couldn't keep them out of the lane, a blueprint was hatched.   

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 02:59:11 PM »
superbar?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 03:02:27 PM »
So, smokin' Badgers is legal by Minnesotans?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 03:17:28 PM »

feedback