Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sunday Pro-Am  (Read 9433 times)

Buchec18

• Starter
Sunday Pro-Am
« on: August 08, 2010, 09:13:45 PM »
Crowd was not too bad at all... somewhat big actually. Jimmy Butler's squad walked away with the title.

Here's a little about what I saw...

Reggie Smith: Unbelievable... almost completed a thru the legs dunk and was flying all over the place. This kid looks like the real deal and I think he will get a lot of minutes this year.. he will provide a huge spark off the bench.

Junior: Looked very good and healthy. The achilles must have been still hurting last year when he returned (why did they do that?) but looks like he shed a lot of weight and looks to be the prospect we thought he was. A very good leader, was passing the ball around a lot and communicating well with the team.

Devante Gardner: Looked gassed  throughout the game, however there were no subs for his team. He seemed to be not physical enough in the post against Otule. He did have a few dunks which reminded me of Shaq daddy throwing it down... had a nice alley oop which brought all of the MU players out of their seats and onto the court laughing hysterically and also posterized a randy. He was messing around towards the end, dribbling through defenders and his ball handling skills actually do not look too bad!

Vander: Looks like he has a lot of potential.. but I just don't see it yet. He didn't shoot much in the game that I saw, he was trying to created a lot more... however he did have a few offensive fouls and was out of control a few times. I see him being the touted prospect he has been in the next coming years.. a work in progress.

Jimmy: Looks better than ever, throwing down a few dunks and was all over the court and was coaching his squad from the bench and from the floor. This is his year and will be the star of this team.

DJO: Was rather quiet today from the one game I saw him play in. Looks a lot bigger and faster, should be fantastic this year as well.

Otule: Looks like a great player in the post and has the physical presence that we have been lacking... if he can avoid the injury bug he should be starting, no doubt in my mind.

Joe Fulce did not play and Wes was Wes and did phenomenal, hitting three after three and even diving on the floor after the ball a couple of times.

Let's hear what you guys thought/observed today. Was a fun time and hopefully this becomes an annual event.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 09:16:34 PM by Buchec18 »

Markusquette

• All American
Re: Sunday Pro-Am
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 10:32:03 PM »
Aside from what you mentioned I thought Justin Simmons from Concordia was surprisingly good.  But then again that game was a huge blowout, the other guy (Fletcher?) was shooting lights out as well.  Avery Smith played pretty well too.

Junior was playing great, looked to get others involved.  Gardner looks like he has some nice moves inside but he needs to hustle more and probably improve his conditioning.  

Eric Williams has improved his shot.  He hit at least 3 or 4 3-pointers in one game and was also hitting some from mid-range and making a few tough ones inside.

Jamail threw down a few nice dunks and he hit some shots, but also air-balled or bricked a few from outside.  He looks to be an aggressive player who is willing to crash the glass and drive the lane.  Should be a great player eventually and perhaps an energy guy and spot shooter off the bench this year.

Reggie did look good, but I still wouldn't expect too much out of him this year.  I love his quickness and athleticism.  Reminds me of DJ early in his first year.

Buchec18

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:35:57 PM »
Yes, was about to mention Simmons, but forgot his name. He was very, very good and has great hops. He needs to get to MU asap. Williams did do very well also, was nailing a lot of jumpers as you mentioned and looks like he has been working on his shot a lot more.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 07:29:15 AM »
Yes, was about to mention Simmons, but forgot his name. He was very, very good and has great hops. He needs to get to MU asap. Williams did do very well also, was nailing a lot of jumpers as you mentioned and looks like he has been working on his shot a lot more.

This is exactly why it's hard to take much from the Pro-Am.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 07:36:48 AM »
Vander: Looks like he has a lot of potential.. but I just don't see it yet. He didn't shoot much in the game that I saw, he was trying to created a lot more... however he did have a few offensive fouls and was out of control a few times. I see him being the touted prospect he has been in the next coming years.. a work in progress.

I agree with you for the early game.  In the championship game Vander looked significantly better.  He had a few slick passes and a couple 3s.  His release is really low on his shots combined with his lack of jumping... and he takes forever to set up.  Then again, this isn't a real game and he could take as long as he wants because very few defenders were bothering to defend the 3 ball. 

Vander also had some nice timing around the rim when slashing from the wing to grab a rebound.

Anyone else see the sick baby-blue sneakers that Blue, DJO and Butler were wearing?  I need some of those and I hope they're part of the uniform this year!

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 08:14:50 AM »
also posterized a randy.

Good info. I was just wondering though, what is a randy?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »

A coarse rowdy woman   ?-(

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/randy

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 10:39:32 AM »
I wouldn't take these games too seriously, as Rosiak asserts that there was zero defense played.  Although it is good to hear about Junior's improved athleticism/conditioning etc...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 12:37:17 PM »
Butler really looked good in the first game, which gave me an odd reaction. Before seeing him play, I was feeling pretty good about all the MU players in general. Seeing him took all the other players down a notch as he is clearly the best player. It is so hard to judge how good the competition is, which effects my impression of players. The real question is how much better Butler is than last season? If Butler is significantly improved than I feel better about the level of the other players. If he has not improved, than I was overrating our players in this tournament.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 01:49:59 PM »
Butler really looked good in the first game, which gave me an odd reaction. Before seeing him play, I was feeling pretty good about all the MU players in general. Seeing him took all the other players down a notch as he is clearly the best player. It is so hard to judge how good the competition is, which effects my impression of players. The real question is how much better Butler is than last season? If Butler is significantly improved than I feel better about the level of the other players. If he has not improved, than I was overrating our players in this tournament.

I was looking for Butler to show more of a mid-range and outside shot to complete his game.  I didn't see that (one way or another), and I think the reason he looked so good was because no one was interested in seriously challenging him when he went to the hoop for injury purposes. 

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 03:21:53 PM »
I was at all 6 games, was anybody else there for the whole 7 hours? Thank god, they went to 10 min periods in game 2. The day was too long, I hope the final day next year is not like this.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

reinko

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 03:26:12 PM »
I was at all 6 games, was anybody else there for the whole 7 hours? Thank god, they went to 10 min periods in game 2. The day was too long, I hope the final day next year is not like this.

Did they lock you in?  Were you allowed to leave?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 03:27:56 PM »
Did they lock you in?  Were you allowed to leave?
:D :D I went outside for my smokes and had lots of popcorn.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 03:31:40 PM »

Attendance isn't required you know.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 03:36:51 PM »

I was there from 1 until 8:30.  At least I had front row center seats... I could get used to those.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 06:29:29 PM »
My wife and I were there for all of Sunday's games, but she was beginning to complain about it being too long. It was nice to be able to watch whole games instead of wondering what you were missing in the other gym. Having watched Blue for two whole games I am waivering on my statement that Smith is a better passer than Blue. However, there is no question in my mind that the best passer is Wilson. Great court vision and can throw long passes with pinpoint accuracy.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 06:37:46 PM by bilsu »

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 06:38:27 PM »

With Jimmy's M.O. I am sure that he has improved.  Dodds mentioned how he could be the most improved player athletically which is impressive given his fine athleticism last season.  What kind of things was he doing on Sunday?  Did he show more refined skills or moves?  I believe he is going to go off this year....and get drafted.

Buchec18

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 06:46:25 PM »

A 'randy' in my terms means a 'random'. AKA a 'random guy' who is just there.

And yes, I did see those powder blue shoes. It seemed that Wes Matthews may have given away the powder blue shoes, as there were a few of them wearing them. I also saw most of the team was sporting Jazz gear, which makes me believe that Wes probably provided some Utah gear after to the team after he signed with Portland (because of Utah's powder blue color)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 06:52:31 PM »
I was looking for Butler to show more of a mid-range and outside shot to complete his game.  I didn't see that (one way or another), and I think the reason he looked so good was because no one was interested in seriously challenging him when he went to the hoop for injury purposes. 

It did not bother Gardner when he threw Butler to the ground fighting for a rebound. There was no reason for Butler to shoot mid-range shots he could simply go around or over anybody. Most impressive play of the day was Butler's offensive goal tending. He went to dunk a missed shot and it bounced off the rim behind his head and he reached back and dunked it. Did not count because he was still hanging on the rim.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 07:08:10 PM »

A 'randy' in my terms means a 'random'. AKA a 'random guy' who is just there.

And yes, I did see those powder blue shoes. It seemed that Wes Matthews may have given away the powder blue shoes, as there were a few of them wearing them. I also saw most of the team was sporting Jazz gear, which makes me believe that Wes probably provided some Utah gear after to the team after he signed with Portland (because of Utah's powder blue color)

Those shoes were real cool. Also, I think all the MU NBA guys were represented with shorts. I think Vander was wearing Blazer shorts, Jimmy had on Heat shorts, someone had T'Wolves shorts, but forget who it was. I believe another player also had Jazz shorts on and DJO had a Jazz long sleeve.

All in all it was a great event. I stayed for all the games and it was a little long, especially with some of the games not being all that close near the end. The one thing I think that will make this event even better would be if Novak and Diener could play while being under contract in the NBA or if some of the Bucks could play. I know that is a ton easier said and done, but one of the things I enjoyed watching was Wes coaching some of the players, especially Otule. To get guys in the NBA, especially the MU guys, to play and help coach the other players would probably bring even more college guys. I was reading the other board and with more time to recruit they could bring in more players who tried to get in too late.

Also, are high school players allowed to play in this or is that prohibited by the NCAA?

Buchec18

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 07:21:22 PM »
Those shoes were real cool. Also, I think all the MU NBA guys were represented with shorts. I think Vander was wearing Blazer shorts, Jimmy had on Heat shorts, someone had T'Wolves shorts, but forget who it was. I believe another player also had Jazz shorts on and DJO had a Jazz long sleeve.

All in all it was a great event. I stayed for all the games and it was a little long, especially with some of the games not being all that close near the end. The one thing I think that will make this event even better would be if Novak and Diener could play while being under contract in the NBA or if some of the Bucks could play. I know that is a ton easier said and done, but one of the things I enjoyed watching was Wes coaching some of the players, especially Otule. To get guys in the NBA, especially the MU guys, to play and help coach the other players would probably bring even more college guys. I was reading the other board and with more time to recruit they could bring in more players who tried to get in too late.

Also, are high school players allowed to play in this or is that prohibited by the NCAA?

Dwight was wearing the t-wolves shorts.. I also noticed that. Hard not to notice that kinda stuff when you're sitting there for 4-5 hours.

And no, high school players cannot play. It's a Pro-Amateur league meaning that only players who play in college or the pro's can play. I think this will easily become an annual event and will attract a lot more players and a lot more talent.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 09:36:18 PM »
I love the potential of this event. A couple of things I'd like to see going forward (if possible)-

-Some of the UW players. Would be good for competitiveness and fan interest.
-Diener/Novak/Hayward all playing.
-More current players from UWM/GB. I think there were 3 from UWM and 2 from GB.
-More consistent attendance from the Euro-level guys. Would have been fun to see McNeal and Ricky Franklin more often.

Really enjoyed the first edition of the league. A great summer hoops fix.

rico49

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 10:10:20 PM »
My son and I attended about 4 times, including Sunday.  What we noticed, more than the games, was the change in team dynamics.  Case in point, the first Sat. Reggie and Vander seemed to blend socially with the MU guys, but Devante Gardner seemed to be a little distant, and probably a little shy. Jamail and Jamil also flowed evenly between their team and the MU guys.  The "vets" appeared to be very patient with Devante and he appeared to gain confidence as the games move through the schedule.

Then Sunday came, and what a difference!  We were sitting right behind the South bench, and boy were they ALL having fun together as a Team.  There was a moment when Fulce asked Devante for a bite of his candy bar, and then he walked away to the end of the bench eating the whole thing.  DJO was sitting next to Devante and lead the team smack "snack attack", All having fun!  The guys were roaring and from the look on Devante's face, I think that he NOW felt a part of the team.  Later Jimmy took him, I think, for a quick weight room session.

Team building... an opportunity that MU players pulled together at the Pro-Am league!

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 01:25:21 AM »
My son and I attended about 4 times, including Sunday.  What we noticed, more than the games, was the change in team dynamics.  Case in point, the first Sat. Reggie and Vander seemed to blend socially with the MU guys, but Devante Gardner seemed to be a little distant, and probably a little shy. Jamail and Jamil also flowed evenly between their team and the MU guys.  The "vets" appeared to be very patient with Devante and he appeared to gain confidence as the games move through the schedule.

Then Sunday came, and what a difference!  We were sitting right behind the South bench, and boy were they ALL having fun together as a Team.  There was a moment when Fulce asked Devante for a bite of his candy bar, and then he walked away to the end of the bench eating the whole thing.  DJO was sitting next to Devante and lead the team smack "snack attack", All having fun!  The guys were roaring and from the look on Devante's face, I think that he NOW felt a part of the team.  Later Jimmy took him, I think, for a quick weight room session.

Team building... an opportunity that MU players pulled together at the Pro-Am league!

This is a great thing to hear. Having great team camaraderie can go a long way in terms of convincing a guy like Gardner who might not get much playing time for a year or so that putting in the extra effort is worth it. Especially someone who is supposed to have a shy disposition like Gardner.

I love the way Buzz's culture builds leadership from year to year. I can already see Jimmy filling Lazar's leadership void. Im sure DJO will follow the next year, and its not hard to imagine Cadougan and Vander doing the same in years after that.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 07:23:42 AM »
Speaking of Devante... during the games he tossed both Jimmy Butler and possibly Avery Smith to the floor and just walked away.  I dunno about you but if I was on the MU team and tossed any team mate, much less Butler, I'd at least help the guy back up and see if he's okay.

Devante has a lot of weight to him and when he decides to throw it around against smaller guys those guys go flying!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 08:34:25 AM »
Gardner got called for a foul after Butler ended up on the floor. he was too busy complaining to the ref about the call to worry about Butler. The guy above me thought Butler took a flop.

The best part of the first game for Gardner was when he decided to school the other teams center ( Wade?). He got the ball at least three times from five or more feet form the basket and just back the defender down to score. Of course the defender was winning the battle on the other end. Both were going at each other. Gardner is a bull, but his conditioning slows him down as he tires. Boy do I hope they get him whipped into shape. Off the court Gardner is very shy. It will take him a while to fit in with the other players, who for the most part are extremely outgoing. The first saturday I took my grandson, who will be two in September to the games. He ended up sitting next to Gardner on the bleachers. I had my camera and thought I should get a picture of them sitting together. I tapped Davante on the shoulder and asked if I could take a picture of the two sitting together. Gardner did not say anything but lean towards my grandson for the picture. Turned out to be a very nice picture. The size contrast between the two is amazing. Sunday I took the picture up to Gardner and asked him to sign it. Again without him saying anything he signed the picture and handed it back to me. He is a very quiet guy, which is okay. At that age I was very quiet too.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2010, 09:01:44 AM »

Attendance isn't required you know.

Sunday was triple absence day

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2010, 10:50:10 AM »

I think maybe Fulce was "acting conditioning coach"
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2010, 11:19:12 AM »
Sunday was triple absence day

Does MU still have those?

syscokid

• Walk-On
  • Bo Cryan
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2010, 08:57:44 PM »
Those blue shoes.... I got my eastbay catalog yesterday, and they are in there under the jordan "jumpman" part of the catalog. adult sizes are $135, youth are $95. yikes! nice looking shoes. also sunday, i saw quite a few guys wearing MU shirts with the jumpman logo, and the "MU" moniker. I can't wait til that stuff hits the spirit shop!

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
Gardner got called for a foul after Butler ended up on the floor. he was too busy complaining to the ref about the call to worry about Butler. The guy above me thought Butler took a flop.

I didn't get a great look at it, but I thought it was a flop too. At worst, a collision of two guys going for the ball. Just don't want people thinking Gardener is playing dirty with teammates, although i doubt that's what previous posters were implying.

feedback