[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wichita State to the AAC  (Read 23753 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Wichita State to the AAC
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2017, 09:17:35 PM »
This is a straight up gross statement.

Also straight up ignorant. There's a reason Marquette students get MCTS bus passes. Not everyone lives on campus, and having bus access helps some students get to campus in the first place.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2017, 09:18:02 PM »
1.  Facts are beautiful things.  I did a little research on my lunch hour, and discovered that there were 6 Universities in the top 150 of USNR that opened up medical schools in the last decade.  I made a little table of how their rankings changed.

University          Med School Established   Ranking before Med School     Ranking in 2017        Spots Risen (Dropped)

UC Riverside               2008                                          96                       118                                 (22)
Virginia Tech            2008                                          71                        74                                    3
U of South Carolina    2012                                        115                       107                                    8
Arizona                    2012                                         124                       124                                    -
Texas                    2013                                          46                         56                                 (10)
Washington State    2015                                         138                       143                                   (5)

Yeah I am not seeing the 25-35 spot jump.

Establishing a new medical school is way different than continuing to maintain an existing one.  I think the better comparison would be the average ratings of the 20 (or 50 or whatever number you choose) top rated universities with medical schools vs the 20 top rated universities without medical schools.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2017, 09:22:30 PM »
Establishing a new medical school is way different than continuing to maintain an existing one.  I think the better comparison would be the average ratings of the 20 (or 50 or whatever number you choose) top rated universities with medical schools vs the 20 top rated universities without medical schools.

Correlation is not causation.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2017, 09:26:12 PM »
Correlation is not causation.

I never said it was.

I was just showing that your numbers related to establishing new medical schools are totally irrelevant to the discussion about the impact of MU cutting the med school loose.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2017, 10:00:04 PM »
I never said it was.

I was just showing that your numbers related to establishing new medical schools are totally irrelevant to the discussion about the impact of MU cutting the med school loose.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2017, 10:10:39 PM »
I never said it was.

It was not economically feasible.  And seeing that more than half of the medical schools located at traditional universities are ranked lower than us, MUFINY is hard pressed to successfully argue that spinning off our medical school costs us 35 spots in the ranking.

Perhaps the both of you should actually read the criteria they use for the rankings.  I must be overlooking it, so please point out to me the factors that are even tangentially related to having a medical school.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2017, 10:23:12 PM »
It was not economically feasible.  And seeing that more than half of the medical schools located at traditional universities are ranked lower than us, MUFINY is hard pressed to successfully argue that spinning off our medical school costs us 35 spots in the ranking.

Perhaps the both of you should actually read the criteria they use for the rankings.  I must be overlooking it, so please point out to me the factors that are even tangentially related to having a medical school.

Perhaps you should reread my post...the purpose of which was simply to show that the ranking comparisons you used were totally worthless to make your point.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2017, 07:15:24 AM »
Perhaps you should reread my post...the purpose of which was simply to show that the ranking comparisons you used were totally worthless to make your point.

Whatever, dude. At least I supported my position with actual facts.
Have some patience, FFS.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2017, 08:52:54 AM »
Also straight up ignorant. There's a reason Marquette students get MCTS bus passes. Not everyone lives on campus, and having bus access helps some students get to campus in the first place.

Agreed, ignorant putting it mildly

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2017, 09:18:06 AM »
Whatever, dude. At least I supported my position with actual facts.

Actual irrelevant facts.  Congratulations.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2017, 09:38:20 AM »

Actually MUFINY said this:  "Our US News ranking , endowment and overall prestige of the University would have been much higher. I still think we should try and do all three."

So I think the supposition that warriorchick was working with was "restablishing" or "reacquiring" MCW would help Marquette's rankings. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2017, 12:27:55 PM »

Actually MUFINY said this:  "Our US News ranking , endowment and overall prestige of the University would have been much higher. I still think we should try and do all three."

So I think the supposition that warriorchick was working with was "restablishing" or "reacquiring" MCW would help Marquette's rankings.

Reacquiring MCW still wouldn't be the same as starting a med school from scratch.  There are tons of lead-up costs - establishing NIH funding, building research programs and teaching faculty, etc.  MCW got established programs when it took over MU Med School, and MU would have a fully functioning med school if it reacquired MCW.  Not saying it's a good idea at this point, but it's a very different proposition than sticking a shovel in the ground and starting from nothing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2017, 12:30:12 PM »
Reacquiring MCW still wouldn't be the same as starting a med school from scratch.  There are tons of lead-up costs - establishing NIH funding, building research programs and teaching faculty, etc.  MCW got established programs when it took over MU Med School, and MU would have a fully functioning med school if it reacquired MCW.  Not saying it's a good idea at this point, but it's a very different proposition than sticking a shovel in the ground and starting from nothing.

Dude, you are kinda overthinking this.  All she was saying is that a medical school doesn't necessarily mean increased ratings. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2017, 12:56:46 PM »

Dude, you are kinda overthinking this.  All she was saying is that a medical school doesn't necessarily mean increased ratings.

Have some patience, FFS.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2017, 05:47:46 PM »

I do not believe that MCW is up for sale.  That being the case, starting a med school from scratch is pretty much the only option.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2017, 06:04:40 PM »

Actually, chick was the one overthinking it by throwing out facts that are irrelevant to MU's situation.   Why overthink it by throwing out facts that don't address the issue?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2017, 06:08:07 PM »
I do not believe that MCW is up for sale.  That being the case, starting a med school from scratch is pretty much the only option.

I'm sure that's true about MCW…but throwing an unsolicited offer at them would still make far more sense than trying to start from the ground up.  The latter option is so stupid it doesn't even warrant a discussion.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2017, 08:28:21 PM »

The guy in the gif looks like Pitino demonstrating how long his tryst lasted at Porcinis.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2017, 08:31:27 PM »
3 secs. in da lane, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2017, 09:15:47 PM »
3 secs. in da lane, hey?
Yup. That is when pitino earned wide notoriety as one that could drive it to the rim and finish quickly (but with no authority)
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2017, 01:22:16 PM »
I'm sure that's true about MCW…but throwing an unsolicited offer at them would still make far more sense than trying to start from the ground up.  The latter option is so stupid it doesn't even warrant a discussion.

Locally, Quinnipiac University started a Med School 5-6 years ago. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2017, 01:42:35 PM »

and how did that affect their USN&WR ranking?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2017, 03:41:41 PM »
And still have not been asked to join the BE
Goal is National Championship

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2017, 05:23:40 PM »
And still have not been asked to join the BE

I think the Big 10 is preparing an opening bid for entry as we speak.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2017, 09:59:18 AM »
1.  Facts are beautiful things.  I did a little research on my lunch hour, and discovered that there were 6 Universities in the top 150 of USNR that opened up medical schools in the last decade.  I made a little table of how their rankings changed.

University          Med School Established   Ranking before Med School     Ranking in 2017        Spots Risen (Dropped)

UC Riverside               2008                                          96                       118                                 (22)
Virginia Tech            2008                                          71                        74                                    3
U of South Carolina    2012                                        115                       107                                    8
Arizona                    2012                                         124                       124                                    -
Texas                    2013                                          46                         56                                 (10)
Washington State    2015                                         138                       143                                   (5)

Yeah I am not seeing the 25-35 spot jump.

2.  I have never seen or heard an opinion by anyone remotely connected to Marquette campus security that believes closing Wisconsin Avenue would improve security.  If they did that, there are places on campus where the closet patrol car would always be several blocks away and well out of the line of sight of anyone in a patrol car.  Who are these "campus security" types of whom you speak? 

3.  Having a money-sucking sport like football would take resources away from academic programs, and likely slow the growth of the endowment, and that is definitely something that would negatively impact our ranking.

Agree with you on football.

Medical school can add prestige, but no guarantees.  What it can also do is cycle through future high earners who give back to the school, endowments increase.

Security, are you saying crime will increase, or it may increase?  Feels like a mixed bag.  Safer as a result due to no traffic (car \ pedestrian issues).  May take longer for security to arrive, but a campus our size not much longer.