collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Any Y'all Typically Fly Virgin America?  (Read 29021 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Any Y'all Typically Fly Virgin America?
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2014, 09:40:12 PM »
Going to NYC in few weeks. Have always stayed at EWR Renaissance because I typically fly into there, then train it into Manhattan.

Marriott Marquis? East Side? Renaissace Times Square?

If this is for business I would recommend the Mandarin (Lincoln Center,) Nomad (Flower District,) or the Mark (Upper East Side.)

If this is personal but you are with a lady go for The Kimberley.

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2014, 09:05:40 AM »
Going to NYC in few weeks. Have always stayed at EWR Renaissance because I typically fly into there, then train it into Manhattan.

Sorry Dish.  I can't help.  I always just take the train home. 

I've only spent one weekend overnight in NYC and it was a Hilton Grand Vacations Club on 57th Street.  Wonderful place stay.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2014, 11:40:35 AM »
Sorry Dish.  I can't help.  I always just take the train home. 

I've only spent one weekend overnight in NYC and it was a Hilton Grand Vacations Club on 57th Street.  Wonderful place stay.

No worries, appreciate the response. Have you been to Barclay's Center? Is it worth going to? Every time I've been to NYC for work, I've been in/out pretty quick. This upcoming trip I padded extra time into. Went to Lombardi's for pizza last time I was in town. Curious what pizza places you like or other Italian places. Thanks in advance!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2014, 01:05:31 PM »
No worries, appreciate the response. Have you been to Barclay's Center? Is it worth going to? Every time I've been to NYC for work, I've been in/out pretty quick. This upcoming trip I padded extra time into. Went to Lombardi's for pizza last time I was in town. Curious what pizza places you like or other Italian places. Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, as Nutmeg has correctly pointed out, the best Brooklyn-style pizza is the coal-fired stuff you get in CT.

The place we went is in the Financial District - Adrienne's. Classic thin style without being a cracker crust. Very good pizza.

Best Italian in Manhattan is Mario Batali's place, Babbo. Superb.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2014, 03:26:36 PM »
I mentioned Babbo in NYC which is Mario Batali's place. Batali is from Seattle and his dad runs a fabulous Italian deli here, Salumi. Batali Sr. makes his own cured meats and is only open for lunch. It always has a line outside the door but is worth every second. If anyone comes to Seattle I would strongly recommend visiting this gem.

http://www.salumicuredmeats.com/

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2014, 03:49:29 PM »
No worries, appreciate the response. Have you been to Barclay's Center?

No on the Barclay's.  My friend and his wife saw Pearl Jam at the Barclay's Center last month.  He said it was a wonderful new arena and easy to get too. 

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2014, 03:52:18 PM »
I mentioned Babbo in NYC which is Mario Batali's place. Batali is from Seattle and his dad runs a fabulous Italian deli here, Salumi. Batali Sr. makes his own cured meats and is only open for lunch. It always has a line outside the door but is worth every second. If anyone comes to Seattle I would strongly recommend visiting this gem.

I have been to both Babbo and Salumi.  Definitely must stops on both coasts.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2014, 03:59:42 PM »
Unfortunately, as Nutmeg has correctly pointed out, the best Brooklyn-style pizza is the coal-fired stuff you get in CT.

The place we went is in the Financial District - Adrienne's. Classic thin style without being a cracker crust. Very good pizza.

Best Italian in Manhattan is Mario Batali's place, Babbo. Superb.

I was going to say the same thing.  Pizza was covered in it's own thread just recently.

Coincidentally, my brother (who lives in Minnesota) sent me this last week on The Pizza Belt.  Note [3] applies to me.
http://gawker.com/the-pizza-belt-the-most-important-pizza-theory-youll-743629037

On our weekend stay my wife and I ate at Nino's Tuscany Steakhouse.  (An Italian steakhouse, huh?)  They dry age the steak for like 40 days.  It was delicious.  We found it on accident simply looking for an interesting restaurant near our hotel that could get us to Carnegie Hall in time for our show.  (As a side note, it was expensive and the YELP reviews are very polarized on the place?)

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2014, 04:01:37 PM »

It really depends on what you're looking for and what budget you are looking at. Me and Mrs. 'Port go to NYC from MKE a couple times a year to eat and see shows. I personally don't like the hotels near Times Square -- too busy and too touristy. Plus, not near any of the great restaurants or clubs. The only selling point IMO is that they are near the theaters.  The Marriott Marquis is in the middle of it all -- just a monstrous hotel with something like 12/14 elevators.

For the med- to higher-end hotels, we've had varied experiences at the Waldorf (a great room one time, a mediocre the next) and Parker Meridien. The best experiences we've had recently were at the Nomad and the Soho Grand -- highly recommend. Like the vibe and the area a lot. The best stay we've ever had was at The New York Palace and it was not even close, but it is always expensive. For budget, The Roosevelt has never let me down (think going with a buddy to BE tourney and it doesn't matter other that it's clean).  I would stay away from the Ian Schraeger boutique hotels like the Hudson, Belvedere, etc. The rooms we've had barely fit the bed and the price can vary a lot. Like probably a lot of business travelers, many times we stay at the Hiltons to get the points -- nothing special, but always consistent.

When we were in town 15 years ago, I asked our waiter where he likes to eat. He told me about a place that all of the chefs and service people go to after they close their restaurants. It's called Blue Ribbon in Soho. He said it gets pretty busy late night. We went there the next night after a night of live music -- we got there at 1am and it was packed. I wasn't hungry for anything specific, so again, I asked the waiter what he would recommend. He said "you need a Duvel (Belgian Ale), bone marrow and the fried chicken." My wife ordered the cheese fondue. We have probably had that meal 20+ times since. It's my last supper. The other recommendation I would offer, if you like theater, is to see Kinky Boots -- one of the best shows we've seen in the last few years.

I second Keefe's rec on Babbo. Others we love are all of the David Chang restaurants (Ma Peche, Momofuku Noodle Bar, Ssam), Craft, Bar Boulud, DB Bistro, Minetta Tavern and Spotted Pig. Have fun.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2014, 04:07:04 PM »
No on the Barclay's.  My friend and his wife saw Pearl Jam at the Barclay's Center last month.  He said it was a wonderful new arena and easy to get too. 

Grunge lives!

Death on call

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2014, 04:28:43 PM »

I go at least once every time I am in Seattle - great stuff.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2014, 04:36:39 PM »
If this is for business I would recommend the Mandarin (Lincoln Center,) Nomad (Flower District,) or the Mark (Upper East Side.)

If this is personal but you are with a lady go for The Kimberley.

Andaz. 5th Avenue if you're there for fun. Wall Street if you're there for work. Really hard to beat.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2014, 04:57:36 PM »
Andaz. 5th Avenue if you're there for fun. Wall Street if you're there for work. Really hard to beat.

I haven't stayed at their NYC properties but have lodged with them in Napa town. Had a real footed bath tub. Excellent accommodations. I think they are owned by Hyatt, perhaps their boutique positioning. Nice place to be with a female.

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2014, 08:16:50 PM »
Had a real footed bath tub. Excellent accommodations.

That's great, but the problem is that some fat naked freak dude was jerking off in that same tub the night before you checked in. Hotels are nasty.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2014, 09:42:18 PM »
That's great, but the problem is that some fat naked freak dude was jerking off in that same tub the night before you checked in. Hotels are nasty.

My wife always did the spa thing and thought soaking in a tub like that with candles burning about was Nirvana. As for me, outside of Japanese Ofuro and hot tubs filled with nekkid women I'm not a big bath tub guy and usually forgo sitting in hot water with green sh1t and cucumber slices on my face.

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #140 on: January 21, 2014, 09:53:38 PM »
My wife always did the spa thing and thought soaking in a tub like that with candles burning about was Nirvana. As for me, outside of Japanese Ofuro and hot tubs filled with nekkid women I'm not a big bath tub guy and usually forgo sitting in hot water with green sh1t and cucumber slices on6 my face.

4ever loves the Sybaris in the quon.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2014, 09:24:29 AM »
I haven't stayed at their NYC properties but have lodged with them in Napa town. Had a real footed bath tub. Excellent accommodations. I think they are owned by Hyatt, perhaps their boutique positioning. Nice place to be with a female.

Yep, owned by Hyatt so you get points as well. Waterfall showers, automated shades, great restaurants on property, and most of the time, it's reasonably priced. The Gild is the alternate spot when the Andaz is $400+. Great if you get upgraded, not so much in a regular room.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2014, 09:26:22 AM »
4ever loves the Sybaris in the quon.

Depends who you're with, Chief.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #143 on: January 22, 2014, 09:55:18 AM »
Apologies for my ignorance, but are ZFB and 4ever in some sort of love triangle?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #144 on: January 22, 2014, 10:24:28 AM »
Apologies for my ignorance, but are ZFB and 4ever in some sort of love triangle?

Depends who you're with, Chief.

feedback