[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tremendous Week for MU Hoops  (Read 13380 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Tremendous Week for MU Hoops
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2021, 12:58:37 PM »
Is that an indictment of our new coach? Everyone says it's been a great couple weeks and it has but we didn't get this kind of haul. Plus the other transfers mentioned.

You mentioned Texas being in the top 25 by Rothstein. I mentioned some of the four players they added that probably helped contribute to his opinion.

Just read what is there.

I am more even keeled than the big highs and lows, and, I am more results oriented. I don't really care who picks MUBB where. I care about actual game results.

We can talk about recruiting, recruiting rankings, transfers, scheduling, coaching staff, analytics, systems, change, schemes, sets, plays, spacing, FT's, turnovers, shooting, offense and defense efficiency, etc...all day long. Winning games is what matters.

MUBB has program expectations. It isn't about MUBB and Texas. i'm sure Texas will evaluate its coach based on Texas' expectations and its past, just as MUBB has theirs.

Can Shaka Smart compete for, and win the regular season Big East Title? Can he win NCAA games and advance MUBB to the NCAA 2nd weekend?  Can he make MUBB a consistent winning top 25 type program? This is why we're here. He'll get a fair chance to do so in the next 3-5 years. Hopefully he can do some of these things.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 01:00:09 PM by shoothoops »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2021, 01:06:49 PM »
Rationally, your expectations are a year early.

I agree. They'll find some tough sledding with a bunch of guys who are 190 soaking wet. Once they can physically mature and get a year under their belts, I think that's when the fun really starts.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2021, 09:07:30 PM »
This definitely was a tremendous week for MU.  Shaka and the new coaching staff can now work on building the team identity with the new and returning players. Also with everything in place, a concerted effort on 2022 and 2023 kids can be made.

Very enthusiastic about these early efforts and what they mean for future of the program.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2021, 10:20:14 PM »
I agree. They'll find some tough sledding with a bunch of guys who are 190 soaking wet. Once they can physically mature and get a year under their belts, I think that's when the fun really starts.

Curious to see how Todd Smith and his team adjusts to what the new regime wants. Seemed like the strength training was a little more “hands-off” with Wojo compared to previous coaches.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2021, 12:10:51 AM »
This definitely was a tremendous week for MU.  Shaka and the new coaching staff can now work on building the team identity with the new and returning players. Also with everything in place, a concerted effort on 2022 and 2023 kids can be made.

Very enthusiastic about these early efforts and what they mean for future of the program.

Herman we’re finally gonna get your pogo stick guys with good necks. I’m happy for you. (And all of us)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2021, 09:26:20 AM »
And then there's Dodds take: "This week has been a reboot, reload, rebuild all in a blender....

Edit: I'd like to put Dodds in a blender and leave it on for a couple of hours.

The feeling that we are finally on our way back and the optimism of Marquette fans brings back great memories. At least for a little while, Scoop is not such a rough neighborhood. Everyone (well, except the diehard cranks) is happy. Yeah, I know. That will change soon enough. Enjoy it while it lasts.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 09:30:48 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2021, 09:55:04 AM »
There is a difference between a bad team and a young team.

I expect this team to knocked around a bit by big, physical teams at first, but I anticipate rapid growth as a team as these players figure it out and gel as a group.

ducs

• Walk-On
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2021, 11:38:16 AM »
The revisionist history is strong in this one.

Trying to remember the excitement storming the court after beating #1 ranked Nova that was wipe out by a tailspin to finish the season.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2021, 02:23:35 PM »
This is a big concern of mine.  Every guy we are bringing in does not seem to be a physical presence.  Of our returnees, probably only Justin Lewis fits that bill.    That is a must in today's game.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2021, 02:35:51 PM »
This is a big concern of mine.  Every guy we are bringing in does not seem to be a physical presence.  Of our returnees, probably only Justin Lewis fits that bill.    That is a must in today's game.

I think by Shaka's admission, Justin Lewis doesn't even fit the bill (said a lot about "needing to be in good shape" for him in most recent media day).

I'd say don't sleep on Oso. He looks like he has put on some serious muscle in the past year and has some time to go. He's not 250, but he sure as heck is more than the 205 he started the season at last year.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2021, 06:32:52 PM »
Joplin does not appear to be weak or skinny. I-Max looks like he could be kinda “wiry strong.” DJ is a physically tough kid, body reminds me of Brunson as a college player.

And I’m thinking Shaka’s quote about Justin was a reference to him being completely recovered from the ankle injury.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2021, 06:33:56 PM »
Joplin does not appear to be weak or skinny. I-Max looks like he could be kinda “wiry strong.” DJ is a physically tough kid, body reminds me of Brunson as a college player.

And I’m thinking Shaka’s quote about Justin was a reference to him being completely recovered from the ankle injury.

I thikn it was about being out of shape. Lots of "gotta be able to breathe during the game" part. Kind of the MO Buzz's old boot camps.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2021, 06:37:43 PM »
I thikn it was about being out of shape. Lots of "gotta be able to breathe during the game" part. Kind of the MO Buzz's old boot camps.

Yes, certainly.  If you watch Shaka's zoom call, there's a big focus on being physically and mentally ready for "what's next".  Part of that seems to be getting the kids to condition until they are uncomfortable (my word, not his, but puking in trash cans story, etc)

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2021, 06:44:35 PM »
Yes, certainly.  If you watch Shaka's zoom call, there's a big focus on being physically and mentally ready for "what's next".  Part of that seems to be getting the kids to condition until they are uncomfortable (my word, not his, but puking in trash cans story, etc)

If it's good enough for Jaxson Hayes, it's good enough for our players!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2021, 06:49:04 PM »
If it's good enough for Jaxson Hayes, it's good enough for our players!

I half wondered if the NO reporter that popped in to ask about him was a favor to Shaka so that he could tell that story.  Seemed a little weird for him to be on the call and ask that question.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2021, 06:59:34 PM »
I half wondered if the NO reporter that popped in to ask about him was a favor to Shaka so that he could tell that story.  Seemed a little weird for him to be on the call and ask that question.

Perhaps. Honestly, I really think that story (and the entire Jaxson Hayes trajectory) is a great story to tell the players and a big testament to both Shaka and Jaxson. It speaks volumes to his ability to identify talent and not only coach the player up, but help motivate the player to reach a new level. Part of what has me super excited to see what he can do with Oso and Keeyan. Not saying either player will become that level of player--but I have a feeling they are both going to be better than we expect at an earlier time than we expect.

Let's get amped about player development people!

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2021, 10:51:55 PM »
I was hesitant at first about Shaka because I felt like we just hired a guy who previously turned us down, but it's a totally different time and situation and since he's been on board I've only been impressed.  This is the most excited about MU basketball that I've been since we were one win away from the BE title and then everything from that point on was really bad.  I always wanted Wojo to succeed and tried really hard to cheer for him, but I disagreed with just about everything he did from a coaching standpoint and I am beyond thrilled that he is gone.  At least there is hope again now.  I quit watching the games last year after the DePaul loss.  That was an all-time low for me & this program.

I don't care if this team finishes .500 next year, as long as they play 40 minutes, look like the more conditioned and tough team on the court, play as a team, figure out how to throw the ball inbounds after a timeout, take pride in defense, and actually run an offense.  With how inexperienced we will be next year, I am just going to sit back and enjoy the ups & downs.  All I care is to see some progress for once as the season goes on.

Year 2 and beyond, I probably have my hopes up too high, but it should be fun and exciting.  Fully onboard the Shaka train right now.  At least he speaks honestly.  Some of the stuff he said in his follow-up press conference is stuff Wojo would have never said.  Maybe all he is so far is a better speaker, but it's a good start.
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2021, 10:56:46 PM »

I missed that. Thanks for the correction.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2021, 07:36:18 AM »
I don't care if this team finishes .500 next year, as long as they play 40 minutes, look like the more conditioned and tough team on the court, play as a team, figure out how to throw the ball inbounds after a timeout, take pride in defense, and actually run an offense.  With how inexperienced we will be next year, I am just going to sit back and enjoy the ups & downs.  All I care is to see some progress for once as the season goes on.
This. So much this
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2021, 08:02:53 AM »

Most people should have this attitude with a young team coming in next season.  We're likely to be .500 ish again due to youth, unless that youth can turn the corner midway through the season and Carton/Garcia make significant jumps.  Many people are becoming victims of the hype machine on here seem to think this a top 25 team......most likely not.   Regardless, it will be interesting to watch them grow and see more of a team concept in play.  We will see the beginnings of better tempo, better passing, and a better overall product. 

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2021, 08:15:06 AM »
Perhaps. Honestly, I really think that story (and the entire Jaxson Hayes trajectory) is a great story to tell the players and a big testament to both Shaka and Jaxson. It speaks volumes to his ability to identify talent and not only coach the player up, but help motivate the player to reach a new level. Part of what has me super excited to see what he can do with Oso and Keeyan. Not saying either player will become that level of player--but I have a feeling they are both going to be better than we expect at an earlier time than we expect.

Let's get amped about player development people!

Oso isn't done growing into his body but wow does he look stronger than last year. Excited to see him.

Honestly, I'm excited by all of the pieces, but I'll judge this year and next by whether players get better and the team bonds stronger throughout the season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2021, 08:38:06 AM »
As we sit here today, I go into 2021-22 with no specific expectations regarding record, BEast standing or NCAAT bid/performance.

But I do expect improvement from DJ, DG, JL and O-Max ... so I believe that even if the freshmen experience “typical freshman growing pains,” we have a chance to exceed national pundits’ expectations.