[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jon Rothstein on Marquette  (Read 43743 times)

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
Re: Jon Rothstein on Marquette
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2014, 08:22:13 PM »
The basketball hall of fame is notoriously the easiest hall to be enshrined in. I can't speak to KC Jones as he was well before my time. Dennis Rodman and Ben Wallace were both perennial defensive player of the year candidates, though I don't think it's a given that Wallace gets in. Both of these were post players, not players who are expected to facilitate the offense. It is a much different scenario having an offensively challenged PG versus a post player. Anyways, I don't want to travel down this road again...hopefully things are much improved this season and time will tell. Ready for the season to start!!

GurneeHitchkr

• Starter
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2014, 08:46:22 PM »
Maybe, just maybe...someone has taught Derrick how to drain jump shots. We don't know who's been working with him or how hard he's been working in the off season. Maybe we should wait and see. 

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2014, 09:37:21 PM »
Jon RothsteinVerified account
‏@JonRothstein
This is the first Marquette team I can remember that doesn't have a clear cut alpha dog. Who steps into that role in 14-15? TBD.

Didnt have one last year either

MU82

• All American
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2014, 10:52:35 PM »
Not sure anyone should be surprised a high character senior who just logged 937 minutes the previous year is starting.  What will surprise me is if he plays more than 17 minutes per game conference play.
If he does, it will only be the result of his hard work having improved his jump shot to the point he is a threat to shoot and score from the perimeter.  Simply won't see him playing 17 minutes or more if he's defended the way he was last year.

If Derrick does play 17+ mpg, it will only mean we are in serious trouble. Just as him and Jake playing major minutes last season signaled trouble. A good team doesn't have its least talented players garnering big minutes.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2014, 10:59:56 PM »
I know he never met your eye test as he protected the ball and set up his teammates but the numbers say he did both better that Cadougan. Derrick last year: 4.2 apg, 1.5 tpg, 2.8 - 1 assist to turnover ratio. Junior's senior season: 3.8 apg, 2.5 tpg, 1.5 assist to turnover ratio. More assists, fewer turnovers, much, much better ratio. Not even close. Not even at the rec center.

This is a classic example of stats being almost completely meaningless.

Junior could break down a defender and aggressively drive to the hoop. Even if he missed a shot, usually good things happened because defenses collapsed on him and one of our guys could get the rebound. He could make a free throw. Junior could hit the occasional jumper. He made one of the biggest shots of the season, that 3 against UConn; Derrick has no chance with that kind of shot. Junior wasn't as good a man-to-man defender as Derrick but turned more of his steals into the kind of easy fast-break hoops that just about never happened last season.

Turnovers? Junior took advantage of small cracks in the defense to be aggressive while Derrick mostly stood 30 feet from the basket and passed safely to a teammate on the perimeter 10 feet away from him. Of course Junior had more turnovers.

Junior's talent level was the absolute minimum a good college program should expect from its PG. Derrick wasn't even close to that minimum last year because he could neither shoot nor drive. I mean, come on, defend Derrick if you want, but please don't be silly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2014, 11:15:36 PM »

Junior could break down a defender and aggressively drive to the hoop. Even if he missed a shot, usually good things happened because defenses collapsed on him and one of our guys could get the rebound. He could make a free throw. Junior could hit the occasional jumper. He made one of the biggest shots of the season, that 3 against UConn; Derrick has no chance with that kind of shot. Junior wasn't as good a man-to-man defender as Derrick but turned more of his steals into the kind of easy fast-break hoops that just about never happened last season.

Turnovers? Junior took advantage of small cracks in the defense to be aggressive while Derrick mostly stood 30 feet from the basket and passed safely to a teammate on the perimeter 10 feet away from him. Of course Junior had more turnovers.

Junior's talent level was the absolute minimum a good college program should expect from its PG. Derrick wasn't even close to that minimum last year because he could neither shoot nor drive. I mean, come on, defend Derrick if you want, but please don't be silly.

Completely agree with your analysis. Also agree if Derrick plays major minutes we are in trouble. I think he is best suited for high intensity short burst. 10-15 minutes max. I am okay with him being a starter, he works hard and is a leader. However, we really need Duane in for major minutes. He is a serious athlete who has the ability to make things happen.   I am sure Wojo is pushing him hard to take his game to a higher level.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2014, 12:34:34 AM »

Interesting that there aren't many mentions of John Dawson anywhere.  I'm wondering if this might be a tough year for him given the guards in front of him.  Next year he may end up being a starter, or at least a solid rotation guy, with Derrick and Carlino graduating.  But unless he really surprises me, I can see him getting caught up in a minutes shortage.

Good observation.  Interestingly enough, Rothstein didn't make one comment on Deonte Burton either...other than naming him in the starting lineup...which everyone here of course knows Deonte will be a starter.  I'm not going to get too carried away with Rothstein observations as to who was named/wasn't named in individual tweets.  I know what I saw last year and I saw that Dawson has a very good feel for the game and a high ceiling.  Whether that is this year or next, or as a senior, when it is all said and done - he will have been a good player at MU.

Nonetheless, should be interesting to see how it all plays out once the lights come on and the guys are playing in games.  Lots to look forward to this season with the underclassmen and Wojo leading the ship.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2014, 04:05:36 AM »
Maybe Deonte didn't get mentioned because he wasn't at the practice Rothstein watched?  His Mom just died.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2014, 06:11:30 AM »

If we didn't get steals and convert those into easy transition baskets and Derrick just stood 30 feet from the hoop and passes safely to someone 10 feet from him then how did he end up with so many assists? If my memory serves me correct our team couldn't shoot, so I don't recall us making 4 20+ footers a game, all being assisted from a safe pass from Derrick.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2014, 06:58:52 AM »
If Derrick does play 17+ mpg, it will only mean we are in serious trouble. Just as him and Jake playing major minutes last season signaled trouble. A good team doesn't have its least talented players garnering big minutes.

+1000000

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2014, 07:14:51 AM »
Having an offensive liability on the floor will never make any sense.
Unless he is an elite gamechanger, right Sultan?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2014, 07:16:28 AM »

God you are already bitching? 

Carlino mentioned earlier in the year that Wojo is going to have multiple guards bringing up the ball.  So having Carlino and Derrick on the floor makes plenty of sense.
It is not necessary to call me God, Sultan. Although the reference is appreciated. Shirley...you can't be serious.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2014, 07:21:35 AM »

That is absolutely not true.  Not everyone on the floor needs to be a scorer.  The problem with last year is that you usually had multiple players on the floor that weren't scorers.
The problem with your analogy Sultan: Derrick makes the game 4 on 5; Derrick is not a creative playmaker; Derrick is limited in penetrating; Derrick can't shoot FT's; he cannot keep the D honest; Hurts the team.

But hey, it is the Sultan being Sultan, defending his boy to the hilt. Take no quarter, and never admit to a mistake.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2014, 07:34:47 AM »
Good observation.  Interestingly enough, Rothstein didn't make one comment on Deonte Burton either...other than naming him in the starting lineup...which everyone here of course knows Deonte will be a starter.  I'm not going to get too carried away with Rothstein observations as to who was named/wasn't named in individual tweets.  I know what I saw last year and I saw that Dawson has a very good feel for the game and a high ceiling.  Whether that is this year or next, or as a senior, when it is all said and done - he will have been a good player at MU.

He may not have mentioned Burton because I wonder if he was even at practice due to his mother's passing, but yeah I don't expect him to mention everyone.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2014, 08:32:05 AM »
This year, my expectations are that Marquette is a total wildcard.  Let's see what we have with the young guys, especially Burton, Johnson, Du. Wilson and Fischer.  That will frame my expectations for next year.

I'm also thinking Taylor and Dawson both show some promise.  If Levin is legit and we get anything from the incoming frosh (whether HE comes or not), MU will be deep and have a chance for a 1-2 year window.  I'm thinking 2 years is the big year to make a run. But if Burton/Johnson/Fischer ends up good enough to turn pro after JR year and HE comes as a legit 1-n-done, then next year could be the better year.  But like I said, we've got to see what we got this year first.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2014, 08:37:42 AM »
I think people tend to blame Derrick for everything that went wrong last year. He has his limitations, but he is our most experienced returning player and will follow the coaches instructions. On the one hand I find it encouraging that Rothstein thinks JJJ will start, but last year Buzz was raving about how JJJ was the best player in practice. Talent means nothing, if you cannot play to the coaches plan.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2014, 08:43:26 AM »
For me this year will be totally about setting the table for the next two years.  The only thing I expect out of this years team will be that it will be the most frustrating team in years.  That is not intended as a put down.  I think this team will show flashes of brilliance, especially when it gets a good match up and I think this team will look down right awful at times.  The flashes of brilliance will make everything more maddening because fans will just say, why can't we play like that all the time?  It's part of the maturation process of a very young, raw team.

Maybe I'm rationalizing because I don't think this team will be any better record wise than last year, but I think it will be a better season than last year....if that makes any sense at all.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2014, 08:49:56 AM »
I agree with this.  IMO, this year is Wojo figuring out how who he is as a coach.   I have low expectations for the team and just want them and Wojo to work hard and get better.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2014, 08:57:30 AM »
For me this year will be totally about setting the table for the next two years.  The only thing I expect out of this years team will be that it will be the most frustrating team in years.  That is not intended as a put down.  I think this team will show flashes of brilliance, especially when it gets a good match up and I think this team will look down right awful at times.  The flashes of brilliance will make everything more maddening because fans will just say, why can't we play like that all the time?  It's part of the maturation process of a very young, raw team.

Maybe I'm rationalizing because I don't think this team will be any better record wise than last year, but I think it will be a better season than last year....if that makes any sense at all.

I agree with just about everything here. But am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2014, 09:10:07 AM »

Lower expectations and the excitement/honeymoon phase that come with a new coach will give that perception. If Wojo sits players who are wildly inconsistent, lapse on defense, etc., the board will mostly line up with him and against the benched players. 180 degree turnaround from last year.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2014, 09:16:45 AM »
Lower expectations and the excitement/honeymoon phase that come with a new coach will give that perception. If Wojo sits players who are wildly inconsistent, lapse on defense, etc., the board will mostly line up with him and against the benched players. 180 degree turnaround from last year.

I think this season is much more about Wojo than anything else.  There is no doubt there is talent on this team and even better talent the next two years....but can Wojo coach'em up/develop them as well as put them in a position to be successful in games.

I also think the fan base should be prepared, I think there will be a lot of teachable moments for players, I think Wojo will have a very firm hand.  Perhaps we'll get a final answer to Ner's posit that players must get at least 3 minutes of run time before they are yanked
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2014, 09:18:53 AM »

Jon RothsteinVerified account
‏@JonRothstein
It won't be this season, but Marquette's Luke Fischer will eventually develop into one of the best big men in the Big East. 6-11 + skilled.

Someone stated this here a number of months ago based on some very good intel from MU BB HQ, and was promptly attacked for it.  Not what is said here, but who says the what.

He's going to be pretty good this year, people need to harbor their expectations, he's a longer term play.  Agree with Rothstein.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2014, 09:24:33 AM »
Someone stated this here a number of months ago based on some very good intel from MU BB HQ, and was promptly attacked for it.  Not what is said here, but who says the what.

He's going to be pretty good this year, people need to harbor their expectations, he's a longer term play.  Agree with Rothstein.

Fixed your post for you...I completely agree with you and Rothstein on Fischer

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2014, 09:39:29 AM »
Why should we have to settle for a guy to be effective if put in the right spot? This backcourt should be plenty deep this year.

If there are guys who are better than Derrick, then by all means, nail him to the bench.

I'm not sure if the other guys are better than him at this point.

Maybe by conference season, maybe never. I don't know.

My prediction is that Derrick can be pretty good for about 20mpg. If MU can find somebody to fill the other 20, then they should get decent production out of the PG spot, something they were really lacking last season.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2014, 09:40:06 AM »
Someone stated this here a number of months ago based on some very good intel from MU BB HQ, and was promptly attacked for it.  Not what is said here, but who says the what.

Sometimes it's what you say.

Sometimes it's the self important, name dropping, look at me way you say it.

Sometimes it's you playing the victim.

Sometimes it's the self congratulatory tone.

This is an example of #s 2, 3 and 4.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 09:45:17 AM by Ellensons Tap »