[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Billy Donovan - Out as Thunder Head Coach  (Read 18892 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Billy Donovan - Out as Thunder Head Coach
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2020, 11:07:51 AM »
This is idiotic. There is a better chance of Al McGuire rising from the dead to take the Marquette job than there is Billy Donovan taking it. Honestly, even posting this much about the topic is giving it more oxygen than it deserves.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2020, 11:20:51 AM »
I'm going to go on record and say that Billy Donovan will not be the coach of any college program for the 2020-2021 season.

Is anyone really asserting that this will end up being a false statement?

I don't believe most think so. There is of course, an obligatory discussion of where MU sits in the College Basketball World as a program.

On the one hand believe in yourself and your program. On the other MU isn't getting North of $50 million a year in revenue as say SEC, Big Ten teams etc...in their leagues, let alone other reasons why a perspective coach chooses a particular school.

I believe this discussion will be had until the end of time.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 11:36:48 AM by shoothoops »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2020, 11:31:17 AM »
Bunch of losers who have never amounted to anything in life other than rejection.  Betas.  Make Marquette Great Again.  Demand only the best.  If you aren't chasing Jennifer Lawrence then you aren't even living.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2020, 11:53:24 AM »
This is idiotic. There is a better chance of Al McGuire rising from the dead to take the Marquette job than there is Billy Donovan taking it. Honestly, even posting this much about the topic is giving it more oxygen than it deserves.

If Al McGuire rises from the dead to coach, I’d be angry if Marquette didn’t call him
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2020, 12:03:03 PM »
Dead Al coachin' MU wood bee bedder dan a live and kickin' Woj, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2020, 12:36:36 PM »
One of the most successful coaches in college basketball history just got fired from his NBA job. And people are out of their minds at the suggestion that Marquette take 5 frickin’ minutes to let him (or more likely his “people”) know that we’re paying attention?

I agree that there is almost zero chance he would be interested in returning to the college game. I further agree that even if he was he probably wouldn’t have interest in Marquette.

So what? It’s a five minute (basically a courtesy) phone call. We put in much more effort than that on high school players who never even consider Marquette. As we should. Due diligence.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2020, 12:37:27 PM »
Dead Al coachin' MU wood bee bedder dan a live and kickin' Woj, aina?

Why wood Al want to come back? 

I heard he would come back, but the intelligentsia were afraid to call him, cuz the job wasnt open at the moment.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2020, 12:38:43 PM »
Why wood Al want to come back? 

I heard he would come back, but the intelligentsia were afraid to call him, cuz the job wasnt open at the moment.

I'd make an exception for a reincarnated Al.

So back to my question, do you think Scholl reached out to Donovan's people?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2020, 12:49:35 PM »
One of the most successful coaches in college basketball history just got fired from his NBA job. And people are out of their minds at the suggestion that Marquette take 5 frickin’ minutes to let him (or more likely his “people”) know that we’re paying attention?

I agree that there is almost zero chance he would be interested in returning to the college game. I further agree that even if he was he probably wouldn’t have interest in Marquette.

So what? It’s a five minute (basically a courtesy) phone call. We put in much more effort than that on high school players who never even consider Marquette. As we should. Due diligence.

No he didn't. He turned down a 2 year extension offer and left. It was announced as "mutual", but it wasn't. OKC wants to rebuild and save $, Donovan didn't.  Lots of good NBA jobs open right now, Philly, Chicago, New Orleans, Indy. He will get one of them, probably already has that deal cut before opting out of OKC.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/billy-donovan-rejected-thunders-two-year-offer-to-remain-okc-head-coach-before-nba-restart-per-report/#:~:text=NBA%20Schedule-,Billy%20Donovan%20rejected%20Thunder's%20two%2Dyear%20offer%20to%20remain%20OKC,before%20NBA%20restart%2C%20per%20report&text=In%20some%20surprising%20NBA%20news,the%20team%20announced%20Tuesday%20night.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 12:54:22 PM by thebigjake »

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2020, 01:25:24 PM »
Aren’t you the one who cried on Scoop about having to live in the low life black community where fathers aren’t around, buildings smell like piss and weed, and people shouldn’t be having kids because your business failed?

Maybe you should actually live in reality.

Yea.  That was me.  I took a swing at starting a business from the ground up and had a 7-year run.  Employed over 150 people in that time.  You learn a lot from actually doing.  The lessons were expensive, unfortunately.

Easy for lightweight guys who have never actually created one job through their own effort/capital to dis the efforts of those who have.

As for where I used to live - I took personal responsibility for my actions - lived well below the standard I could have.  Sorry what I wrote, the truth, offends your liberal "sensibilities."  Sorry you believe poor, uneducated people should be having children at rates higher than those who are educated.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2020, 01:25:35 PM »
I tried to call Tiger and Phil to golf with me at the 3 day outing I just played in in the middle of nowhere Northern Michigan.   Both said it was too cold.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2020, 01:33:04 PM »

I'd make an exception for a reincarnated Al.

So back to my question, do you think Scholl reached out to Donovan's people?

No.  And that was never my argument.

My point was that the know it alls that didnt think management would be in touch with high performers when there are no current openings were naive and clueless.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2020, 01:41:56 PM »

My point was that the know it alls that didnt think management would be in touch with high performers when there are no current openings were naive and clueless.

I don't think anyone made that argument, but OK.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2020, 01:42:07 PM »
I think it's cool that this thread has grown to 4 pages.

That's all.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2020, 02:00:08 PM »
We aren't reaching out to Donovan because we've already promised the job to Beilein. Duh.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2020, 02:02:04 PM »
No he didn't. He turned down a 2 year extension offer and left. It was announced as "mutual", but it wasn't. OKC wants to rebuild and save $, Donovan didn't.  Lots of good NBA jobs open right now, Philly, Chicago, New Orleans, Indy. He will get one of them, probably already has that deal cut before opting out of OKC.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/billy-donovan-rejected-thunders-two-year-offer-to-remain-okc-head-coach-before-nba-restart-per-report/#:~:text=NBA%20Schedule-,Billy%20Donovan%20rejected%20Thunder's%20two%2Dyear%20offer%20to%20remain%20OKC,before%20NBA%20restart%2C%20per%20report&text=In%20some%20surprising%20NBA%20news,the%20team%20announced%20Tuesday%20night.

Jake

Thanks for this - the report I read said he had been fired. Probably changes our chances from one in a million to one in a billion. I still don’t think 5 minutes for a courtesy call is a bad idea, though.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2020, 02:06:56 PM »

I agree with you Ziggy and this is one of the most 'scoopy' threads in a while.

Person 1: Donovan fired | Wojo/Nojo troll
Person 2: Give him a call
Person 3: Unrealistic but that would be cool
Flashmob:  You are dumb you cant call someone if you don't have an opening.  It will get leaked and bad things.

And then Chaos.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2020, 02:07:44 PM »
I agree with you Ziggy and this is one of the most 'scoopy' threads in a while.

Person 1: Donovan fired
Person 2: Give him a call
Person 3: Unrealistic but that would be cool
Flashmob:  You are dumb you cant call someone if you don't have an opening.  It will get leaked and bad things.

And then Chaos.

Perfect summary of the thread
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2020, 02:09:05 PM »
I tried to call Tiger and Phil to golf with me at the 3 day outing I just played in in the middle of nowhere Northern Michigan.   Both said it was too cold.

No offense, Tower, as I’m sure playing three founds of golf with you would be a thrill for anyone - but did you offer them the 3, 4 or 5 million to play that MU would no doubt offer Donovan? Tiger and Phil could have bought brand new  sweaters and windbreakers and still had a few shekels left over.

#cheapskate

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2020, 02:19:46 PM »
But would Tiger and Phil have walked away from a round they already had scheduled that paid them $6 million in order to do that?  Especially if they likely had other offers from better players that would pay them even more?

That's the analogy here.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2020, 02:29:27 PM »
No offense, Tower, as I’m sure playing three founds of golf with you would be a thrill for anyone - but did you offer them the 3, 4 or 5 million to play that MU would no doubt offer Donovan? Tiger and Phil could have bought brand new  sweaters and windbreakers and still had a few shekels left over.

#cheapskate

Billy Donovan definitely walked away $6+ million a year at OKC to take $3-4 million at Marquette.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2020, 02:38:15 PM »

Billy Donovan definitely walked away $6+ million a year at OKC to take $3-4 million at Marquette.

Well, he would if we'd just make the damn call.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2020, 02:44:35 PM »
Perfect example:

Tottenham women's team gained promotion to the top league in Women's soccer in England a year ago.  Decent first season, the women's team became more integrated with the men's team in terms of training facilities, playing at the new stadium, financial support from the men's team, etc.

Well today, Tottenham signed Alex Morgan on a deal through the end of the year.  Alex Morgan is arguably the most famous women's player in the world.  9 million followers on insta, as an example. (Rapinoe has 2 million)

Did anyone expect Alex frickin Morgan would join a team that is entering their 2nd year in the top flight of English football?  No.  No freakin way.    But they made the call

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2020, 02:50:02 PM »
Perfect example:

Tottenham women's team gained promotion to the top league in Women's soccer in England a year ago.  Decent first season, the women's team became more integrated with the men's team in terms of training facilities, playing at the new stadium, financial support from the men's team, etc.

Well today, Tottenham signed Alex Morgan on a deal through the end of the year.  Alex Morgan is arguably the most famous women's player in the world.  9 million followers on insta, as an example. (Rapinoe has 2 million)

Did anyone expect Alex frickin Morgan would join a team that is entering their 2nd year in the top flight of English football?  No.  No freakin way.    But they made the call

Loan with no transfer fee.  Terrible analogy.

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2020, 02:50:13 PM »
I'd quibble with your use of the word "perfect" there.

"Completely Meaningless" would have been better.

feedback