collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Golf Thread  (Read 24486 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Scoop Golf Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2012, 12:57:49 PM »
What about Florida courses?

Haven't played there much in the last 15 years. Likes - TPC at Sawgrass, Copperhead and Island courses at Innisbrook. Thought Doral as a whole was a little overated, but the Blue Monster was a really good course.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2012, 01:09:39 PM »
They had the tips set at about 6800+ and not the 7200 option.   Also had an east wind, so a couple of the par 5's were playing downhill and downwind.   Only one mulligan all day, on a putt.   40 foot putt, I played 15 ft of break and missed 10 feet low.   I dropped another ball, putted out to the fringe, watched it break 25 feet and stop 3 feet from the hole.    Said f-it and played the second one.    Greens were playing 13 on the stimp and there were mounds and ridges everywhere.   
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:19:30 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2012, 01:13:59 PM »
Love the Innisbrook course a lot. Have not played there in years either but both great courses. My folks lived on TPC in Sarasota and decent course but the belonged to club called The Oaks and original course is very nice.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2012, 01:23:35 PM »
What about Florida courses?

Florida courses tend to be slightly harder with the rough.  Most have Bermuda rough, which when it grows past two inches makes the ball sink like into a Brillo-pad. The rough doesn't go dormant like in the desert and stays this way year round.  

The country club I play at in South Florida has a new green surface that is called TifEagle and many clubs are now replacing greens with it.  It can handle the stress and when mature makes the ball roll fast and true.  Truly amazing product.

Florida courses also tend to be more windy than in Arizona/Nevada, but at times the desert winds can wreck havoc.  Makes you a better golfer in non-windy conditions after playing constantly in the wind.  Arizona has the weather though hands down, with no threat of afternoon storms.  Whenever I planned a golf getaway it was always to Scottsdale or Palm Springs because of the non rain factor.  Nothing worse than going on a golf trip and the weather turns real bad.  

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2012, 02:43:12 PM »
Regarding Arizona, the We-Ko-Pa (http://wekopa.com/) set-up is pretty nice on both of their tracks. I get that target golf isn't everyone's favorite so the AZ courses can become a drag but I enjoyed these.

For those still in the area, what has become of Bristlecone Pines and Country Club of Wisconsin? Those were the courses I played most often during my drunken daze at school.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2012, 09:12:36 PM »
I like the Gallery in Tucson.  The Ritz was nice to walk at the Match Play this year.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2012, 09:25:54 PM »
I enjoy playing in Arizona...especially during Labor Day and Memorial Day. There's some courses where you get the best of both worlds --> harder fairways for that extra roll off the tee, and greens tend to be at least a little softer than normal.

That being said, definitely play a lot more bump/pitch and run on AZ courses than I do in Wisconsin. I opt to play there more in the summer bc golf prices are outrageously cheaper...just make sure you drink enough water.

I have enjoyed some nice rounds this summer. Three courses I have enjoyed are Washington County GC, Merrill Hills (as long as I am hitting fairways) and Rolling Hills GC (Old Lac La Belle, I think?).
The "average fan" is an idiot.

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2012, 09:43:13 PM »
USGA Index 8.7

Woods - Rocketballz driver/3wood (Still getting used to them, 3 weeks old)
Irons - Ping G10
Cleveland sand wedge (53)
Titleist Vokeys (56 and 60)
Odyssey 2 ball White Hot

I'm a member at http://www.strawberrycreekclub.com/Strawberry-WI-Golf-Course-Detai1.html, which is a great course, albeit private.  I caddied during the Wisconsin State Open last year at Blackwolf Run, it was amazing.  I like Geneva National (Trevino) and The Straits courses. 

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2012, 10:35:38 AM »
Has anybody played Hawk's View Como Crossing in the Lake Geneva area?

Looks like I'm playing there Saturday morning.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2012, 11:07:54 AM »
Has anybody played Hawk's View Como Crossing in the Lake Geneva area?

Looks like I'm playing there Saturday morning.

Very nice course. You won't be disappointed.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2012, 11:36:44 AM »
Very nice course. You won't be disappointed.

+1

NCAARules

• Starter
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2012, 10:55:09 PM »

For those still in the area, what has become of Bristlecone Pines and Country Club of Wisconsin? Those were the courses I played most often during my drunken daze at school.

I forget what happened to Bristlecone, but CCW went through a bankruptcy in 2002ish. Was bought by a partnership between the Romano family (Scenic View GC) and Flannery's. When they pulled it out of receivership, renamed the course Fire Ridge GC. As far as I know, pretty much the same track. Bar/Restaurant much improved (Flannery's at Fire Ridge).

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2012, 08:59:38 AM »
I forget what happened to Bristlecone, but CCW went through a bankruptcy in 2002ish. Was bought by a partnership between the Romano family (Scenic View GC) and Flannery's. When they pulled it out of receivership, renamed the course Fire Ridge GC. As far as I know, pretty much the same track. Bar/Restaurant much improved (Flannery's at Fire Ridge).

Good to hear its still around in some capacity. Wasn't a bad 18.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2012, 11:08:26 AM »
Played U-Ridge yesterday - forgot how cool/ tough that course is = even with a frickin' motion W everywhere.   

My long game was sweet like a DJO 3 ptr, unfortunately my short game was much like Vander shooting when he drives to the rim - no touch, no feel...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2012, 11:52:47 AM »
Son and I played Erin Hills yesterday and were two of ten golfers on entire course. Had 10:30 tee time and took off at 10 and done at 1:40. Very enjoyable but course needs some players.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2012, 12:10:35 PM »
Wow, 10 golfers on a beautiful Sunday...

I imagine the $200 + $100 for a caddie (which likely is a must since no carts, no pull-carts even) is a challenge.  Average golfer does not spend that coin and/or does not want to have to take a caddie or carry their own clubs.

The other is lack of comparable courses & hotels nearby - people can go to Kohler and play great courses, stay over night and play again...

Love Erin Hills but it will have a challenge to get players to come to the course at those rates...

Son and I played Erin Hills yesterday and were two of ten golfers on entire course. Had 10:30 tee time and took off at 10 and done at 1:40. Very enjoyable but course needs some players.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2012, 12:37:50 PM »
Afraid you are correct across the board madtown. I do love the course and everything about it but too hard, too expensive and hard day of walking. All day I kept thinking of ways for them to generate more revenues and truthfully was at a loss. Will be interesting to see what happens there heading up to Open in '17.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2012, 12:50:50 PM »
I'm sure Erin would love more demand, but I don't know if they are willing to lower the price to get there.

If they cut the price in half, they have to get twice as much play to make the same revenue, and twice as much play will lead to more maintenance costs, (but would also lead to increase bar/food revenue so maybe those would cancel each other out, I don't know).

There is a happy medium for price/demand. I don't know if they have found it yet. Maybe $150 during prime season and under $100 in the spring and fall?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2012, 01:24:30 PM »
Maybe 10 golfers on a perfect Sunday in July is an aberration due to the holiday weekend. It better be, and by a longshot. I don't think the good citizens of Wisconsin will want to keep shoveling money into it if it's not.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2012, 01:30:11 PM »
1)  Adding an option for pull cart and not requiring a caddie would help...   3 of the four courses at Kohler allow carts and pull carts
2)  Variable rates - seasonal (spring / fall) and time of day (early / twilight) would help

Looking back, when they were renovating tremendously, they had a $100 rate and got a lot of play...

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2012, 01:32:52 PM »
not sure the good citizens of Wisconsin are shoveling money into it....

Owner Andy Ziegler may care though...

Maybe 10 golfers on a perfect Sunday in July is an aberration due to the holiday weekend. It better be, and by a longshot. I don't think the good citizens of Wisconsin will want to keep shoveling money into it if it's not.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2012, 01:37:17 PM »
It was not slow due to the holiday. Wife and I have gone there three times this summer for later afternoon cocktails and very slow across the board. I really think it is difficulty of course and walk hurting them and not the price. Unless in great shape it is not a course you will play/walk multiple times a year.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2012, 02:16:53 PM »
Yea, maybe really nice pull carts would be cool.

I've also heard that the cottage accommodations have been pretty busy, so maybe the business model is to have an ulta-exclusive course, and make some $ selling/renting accommodations.

A super-premium golf club can work in the state (kohler), but how many super premium courses can the state accommodate? I can play in lake Geneva 2 or 3 times for the price I can play Erin Hills once.

With this said, I loved Erin Hills, and I would play out there again in a second... just too tough to justify the cost right now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2012, 03:20:19 PM »
Witnessed my first hole-in-1 the other day. Actually, I had seen a couple before, but never one hit by a player in my group.

It was a nice one, too: 180-yarder over water. His shot was absolutely perfect, no fluky bounces, almost slam-dunked it.

It was exciting to see, and I wasn't even the guy who hit it. He was, of course, beyond thrilled.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2012, 03:53:49 PM »
Played The Bull over the weekend and totally disappointed. Did not have great expectations and still came away disappointed. Would love to hear other thoughts on the course and facility, maybe being too tough on the place.

feedback