[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Amazon narrows its list of cities for its second HQ  (Read 26374 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Amazon narrows its list of cities for its second HQ
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2018, 07:37:29 AM »
Sounds like your trying to convince yourself moving to the burbs was a good idea.

Sounds to me like LAZER is simply saying the same thing that people have been saying for generations...it's really cool to live in urban areas when you're young and don't have kids, but once the kids come the suburbs start looking really attractive.  This is not a new phenomenon. 
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2018, 08:16:46 AM »
Sounds like your trying to convince yourself moving to the burbs was a good idea.
Haven't moved yet and don't have kids, but admittedly I will move once my unborn kids get to around 1st grade and I think I'll be able to stomach a 30 minute Metra ride in for work. Like the millions of people that have done it before me and the millions that will do it after me.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2018, 09:50:59 AM »

No it sounds like he realizes that different people have different priorities at different times of their lives.  And they don't all fit into the nice little box in which you want to place them.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2018, 10:15:43 AM »
So what I’m reading in everyone’s comments is they really do not want to live in the burbs but are forced there becuase they cannot afford the more desirable urban/city area.

But I would argue that, in the end, the housing market is far more efficient than you think.  What you save in money and tuition you give away in quality of life and opportunity (urban dwellers have no restrictions to switching jobs in the city.  Suburban dwellers automatically limit their opportunities to their method of commuting and distance from the city center).

I would argue that millennials making good coin would rather spend it to stay in the city and keep their quality of life as high as possible.  That is why urban areas are doing better than the “inner suburbs” and the outer suburbs are just too limiting.

I'm sure some of that is true,  financial need forces a lot of people away from where they want to live. I wouldn't say it's true for all us millennials though.  The idea of living in the city sounds terrible to me.  I like being close to the city but would rather stick to the burbs so I can visit when I want and not deal with it when I don't want to.  And I grew up in the city.

Us millennials are the most diverse generation to date (though iGen will pass us). While there are general themes that apply to us as a generation there are so many diverse sub cultures that any argument that contains absolutes it's just wrong.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2018, 10:49:01 AM »
While there are general themes that apply to us as a generation there are so many diverse sub cultures that any argument that contains absolutes it's just wrong.

Brother TAMU, you could not be more right. This is a diverse generation culturally, economically and socially. I do think they're a lot like we Boomers were in the 1970s and 1980s -- out to change the world into our own vision. Eventually, we did.

To an earlier notion that Millennials will not put up with bad urban government and the problems that plague most big city governments, balderdash. In Chicago, Governing the State of Illinois is brought to you by 7,000 Southwest Side residents who are "fortunate" enough to be able to vote for Mike Madigan and the hundreds of property tax appeal lawyers who profit from a corrupt and discriminatory assessment system that funds "Friends of Mike Madigan."

Since the 1920s, we've had two revolutions in Chicago. One was when Martin Kennelly was elected Mayor in 1951. He was an administrator who brought professional management to the city. That idea beget Richard J. Daley. The second was a 1979 series of snowstorms that exposed the incompetence of Chicago City Workers and brought us Lady Jane Byrne. That lasted one term too and brought us Harold. When Mayor Washington died, we ended up with another Daley for 22 years and then the infamous Rahmfather.

If you believe Millennials will change Chicago or Illinois government, send your contributions to the Scoopers for Dgies for President, 1 Richard Nixon Way, Watergate, IL.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2018, 10:49:38 AM »
Brother TAMU, you could not be more right. This is a diverse generation culturally, economically and socially. I do think they're a lot like we Boomers were in the 1970s and 1980s -- out to change the world into our own vision. Eventually, we did.

You did???

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2018, 10:56:52 AM »
You did???

Collectively Boomer generation did. They caused millenials and they also caused all of the positives that have occurred as well. Boomers are still driving societal change (they are transforming the healthcare industry as an example). It's not like there is some master plan but the Boomer generation by shear volume is changing the world. Millennials will do the same(gig economy, etc).
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2018, 11:06:46 AM »
Job opportunities can actually be better in the suburbs than the city with access to good commuter rail. And quality of life is relative to where you are in life.  For a lot of people they get the most out of city living (entertainment, dining culture etc) but they get to a point where quality of life is more about getting your kids to and from school and soccer practice than it is about going to a hot restaurant or a concert.

There's such a thing as a middle ground you don't need to live 30miles out of the city to have a backyard, access to good schools and a place for soccer practice and still maintain an urban feel. Plus keeping it close to the city avoids the obnoxious "bored teenager" phase since there comes a time where those kids want to go to a concert or hot restaurant (especially now that malls only exist in mythology)
Maigh Eo for Sam

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2018, 11:18:34 AM »

I'd be fascinated to see this fleshed out.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2018, 11:51:02 AM »

To an earlier notion that Millennials will not put up with bad urban government and the problems that plague most big city governments, balderdash. In Chicago, Governing the State of Illinois is brought to you by 7,000 Southwest Side residents who are "fortunate" enough to be able to vote for Mike Madigan and the hundreds of property tax appeal lawyers who profit from a corrupt and discriminatory assessment system that funds "Friends of Mike Madigan."

Since the 1920s, we've had two revolutions in Chicago. One was when Martin Kennelly was elected Mayor in 1951. He was an administrator who brought professional management to the city. That idea beget Richard J. Daley. The second was a 1979 series of snowstorms that exposed the incompetence of Chicago City Workers and brought us Lady Jane Byrne. That lasted one term too and brought us Harold. When Mayor Washington died, we ended up with another Daley for 22 years and then the infamous Rahmfather.

If you believe Millennials will change Chicago or Illinois government, send your contributions to the Scoopers for Dgies for President, 1 Richard Nixon Way, Watergate, IL.
Gee, thanks a lot.

jesmu84

• All American

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2018, 06:09:50 AM »
I'd be fascinated to see this fleshed out.

Probably the biggest change Boomers did was to ask, "Why?"

Our parents did what they were supposed to do because, "It was what we do." They weren't apathetic as much as they were into a social system that valued conformity.

We came along and questioned everything. From wars to discrimination to political, economic and social, our generation did a more thorough job of questioning the core of our economic, cultural and organization structures. The questioning drove people nuts in many cases and, indeed, as ATL Warrior pointed out, led many to say, "thanks a lot."

Without the "why," the world would be a different place. Undoubtedly, when IBM ruled the world, Steve Jobs and Bill Gates asked, "why?" and came up with the personal computer. The rest was history.

We ended a war and chased Tricky Dick off because we asked, "why?"

We refined communications and distribution systems that spread the word. As a result, communism died.

Perhaps some of the reason why organized religion is having the problems it has is that too many people are asking, "why?"

Just a few thoughts....

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2018, 09:01:38 AM »
i'm not quite sure yet if the millenials are risk takers or have enough of them to make a difference.  they seem to have grown up during the evolution of protection and trophies. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2018, 10:00:44 AM »

Our parents did what they were supposed to do because, "It was what we do." They weren't apathetic as much as they were into a social system that valued conformity.

We came along and questioned everything. From wars to discrimination to political, economic and social, our generation did a more thorough job of questioning the core of our economic, cultural and organization structures. The questioning drove people nuts in many cases and, indeed, as ATL Warrior pointed out, led many to say, "thanks a lot."

Without the "why," the world would be a different place. Undoubtedly, when IBM ruled the world, Steve Jobs and Bill Gates asked, "why?" and came up with the personal computer. The rest was history.

We refined communications and distribution systems that spread the word. As a result, communism died.

Perhaps some of the reason why organized religion is having the problems it has is that too many people are asking, "why?"

Just a few thoughts....

How do you correlate all these wonderful questions of "why" with a generation that created a disposable way of living? Continued the indulgence of a military-industrial complex? Raped the natural resources of the country without regard to long term impact? Played a vital role in the creation of a more isolated society through their parenting techniques? Grew increasingly closed-minded with regard to societal and cultural changes?

Side note: the reason religion has had trouble is because the conduits of those faiths brutally abused, raped, and molested children of various ages without consequence for decades. It had nothing to do with you asking "why?"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2018, 10:02:50 AM »
i'm not quite sure yet if the millenials are risk takers or have enough of them to make a difference.  they seem to have grown up during the evolution of protection and trophies. 

Millenials are fine.  People always have angst and worry about the next generation, but they end up finding their way.  They are no different.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2018, 10:28:07 AM »
LOL, this is f*cking awesome

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2018, 10:54:15 AM »
How do you correlate all these wonderful questions of "why" with a generation that created a disposable way of living? Continued the indulgence of a military-industrial complex? Raped the natural resources of the country without regard to long term impact? Played a vital role in the creation of a more isolated society through their parenting techniques? Grew increasingly closed-minded with regard to societal and cultural changes?

Gosh is it nice to be loved!

We have to be proud of something!!!!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2018, 11:45:31 AM »

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

LAMUfan

• All American

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2018, 05:24:01 PM »

Just a few thoughts....
The IBM PC dominated the market for many years. Gates developed Windows which was the operating system for the PC. Apple was more hype than economic substance for a long time. The products were not mainstream in business.  Of course The advent of I Tunes, I Pod, etc led to the I Phone and more acceptance of Apple Computing products and the rest is history.

I got lucky when I bought my position in Apple . My basis is 1.15 ,At the time I thought they were a value stock of all things.  I tunes took off and the rest was history.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2018, 09:52:05 PM »
Galloway said he has been on the board of a dozen public and private companies that have searched for an HQ2.  He said there is really only one criterion that this decision is made on, where does the CEO want to spend more time.

Galloway said Jeff Bezos is 53 and worth $105 billion.  He will have to spend 60 to 100 days a year at HQ2.  You think he wants to spend that much time in Indy or Nashville?  So Galloway thinks the decision is made and it is either NYC or DC.

Galloway also thinks Amazon already knows what city they want and they are trying to get the cities to one-up each other so the winning city is handed the best deal and told: "match this and you win."

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/01/25/amazon-is-creating-hunger-games-environment-for-hq2-finalists-nyus-scott-galloway.html
Scott Galloway, NYU Stern School of Business marketing professor, discusses Amazon pitting cities against one another as the company chooses its second headquarters home.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2018, 07:13:31 AM »
I Found this after I posted my comment.  Oh, and I left out the trend that millennials, as a group, seem not to like sex much either-maybe because of the trophy thing or the wood chips/rubber mat phenomenon under the monkey, wait, parallel bars?  Probably cuz it could be a little dangerous?  This is what the internet will do to ya I guess.  Oh, They must mean with other people though, or something😳

https://www.livescience.com/38061-millennials-generation-y.html
don't...don't don't don't don't

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2018, 11:29:55 PM »
Galloway said he has been on the board of a dozen public and private companies that have searched for an HQ2.  He said there is really only one criterion that this decision is made on, where does the CEO want to spend more time.

Galloway said Jeff Bezos is 53 and worth $105 billion.  He will have to spend 60 to 100 days a year at HQ2.  You think he wants to spend that much time in Indy or Nashville?  So Galloway thinks the decision is made and it is either NYC or DC.

Galloway also thinks Amazon already knows what city they want and they are trying to get the cities to one-up each other so the winning city is handed the best deal and told: "match this and you win."

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/01/25/amazon-is-creating-hunger-games-environment-for-hq2-finalists-nyus-scott-galloway.html
Scott Galloway, NYU Stern School of Business marketing professor, discusses Amazon pitting cities against one another as the company chooses its second headquarters home.
Here is an article that outlines where Bezos has homes.
http://www.businessinsider.com/jeff-bezos-owns-five-massive-homes-across-the-united-states-2017-10/#washington-dc-6
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2018, 06:53:59 PM »
The white-hot Fulton Market District in Chicago had two announcements today (again west of the loop and the new home of McDonald's.  One block west of Halsted is Green Street, the epicenter of this neighborhood) ...

This is arguably the hottest office market in the nation, one of the most popular destinations for educated millennials in the country.

This is the neighborhood that has many "pooh-bahs" in Chicago thinking they will snag Amazon because it is so desirable right now.  (again, many in Chicago think Amazon is going to announce more than one HQ2, maybe 3 or 4, and if they are correct, they think it is a lock one of them is Chicago and this neighborhood in particular.)

Do not think all of this is a new under 30 playground before they bail for Mount Prospect.  Even without Amazon, this is a serious money bet that this generation is more "urban" and planning on sticking around?

---------------

This was announced this morning ...

Developer unveils plans for Fulton Market high-rises
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/realestate/20180130/CRED03/180139969#utm_medium=email&utm_source=ccb-morning10&utm_campaign=ccb-morning10-20180131

With developers piling into the Fulton Market District, city officials now face a key question: How tall is too tall?

The answer may become more clear this week after Chicago developer Related Midwest presents plans for two high-rises there, one rising 51 stories and the other, 58. The towers would be the tallest in the fast-growing neighborhood, dwarfing its many historic low-rise structures and even buildings developed there the last few years.

Then this afternoon ...

Chicago developer unwraps second West Loop tower
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/realestate/20180131/CRED03/180139940/chicago-developer-unwraps-second-west-loop-tower#utm_medium=email&utm_source=ccb-breakingnews&utm_campaign=ccb-breakingnews-20180131

The Chicago developer wants to construct the 680-foot tower on Randolph Street just west of the Kennedy, on the edge of the Fulton Market neighborhood. Designed by Roger Ferris & Partners, the project would include a 165-room Equinox Hotel, a 30,000-square-foot Equinox health club and 370 apartments.

And before these three towers (the three tallest building in the midwest not in the Loop or along Michigan Ave), this was announced in November ...

17-story office tower planned at 167 N. Green Street in Chicago’s Fulton Market
The project will need to amend a previously approved plan for an office building at Lake and Halsted
https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/11/21/16684808/fulton-market-office-tower-development

And this is December ...

Developer plans three office towers, movie theater at former Coyne College site
Sterling Bay is doubling down on the booming West Loop
https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/12/12/16769452/west-loop-development-sterling-bay-office-high-rise

The plan would involve tearing down the Coyne College building at 330 N. Green Street for a 20-story office tower with ground floor retail. The parking lot across from the shuttered school would give way to a glassy 19-story office tower designed by SOM. The vacant lot to the north at 360 N. Green is earmarked for a 21-story office building. Each new structure is expected to include “hundreds” of parking spaces.

Sterling Bay also proposes a nine-story building at 345 N. Morgan—just north of its newly-opened Ace Hotel. Designed by Gensler, ground-floor would include ground-floor retail and multiple levels of parking topped by an eight-screen movie theater. It could open by early 2020

And this across the street from the one above (announced in September) ....

Details emerge regarding 24-story office tower planned for West Loop parking lot
While no approvals have been granted, the project’s developer hopes to welcome tenants by 2020
https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/9/27/16327062/fulton-market-office-high-rise-development-coyne-college

The dramatic transformation of Chicago’s Fulton Market from meatpacking district to emerging office market is poised to take another step forward as more details emerge regarding a proposed 24-story tower planned for the former Coyne College parking lot at 333 N. Green Street.

While prominent West Loop developer Sterling Bay previously made its intentions to redevelop the parking lot quite clear, a series of renderings and a stacking plan obtained by DNAinfo Chicago provide a first look at the glass and metal clad tower. In addition to thirteen floors of rentable office space, the images also show a two-story lobby, ground floor retail space, several levels of parking, a 7th floor amenity deck, and outdoor terraces on floors 15 and 22.

And finally this one on Lake and Halsted (also Announced In November)

Fulton Market office plan doubles in size
The 17-story project will feature a publicly accessible pedestrian promenade on its ground floor
https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/11/30/16719546/fulton-market-office-development-mews

A previously-approved Fulton Market office project at the corner of Lake and Halsted is back with an all new and much larger design. The changes are a result of a joint venture comprising of Shapack Partners and Focus Development acquiring an additional parcel along Green Street. Previously owned by Bridgford Foods, the piece was earmarked for a five-story boutique office building as part of Bridgford’s future mixed-use redevelopment plan.

The bigger footprint has allowed Shapack and Focus to ditch plans for a smaller 14-story office structure known as 176 N. Halsted for a considerably more dense building. Clad in brick, metal, and glass, the now 17-story design has grown to 725,000 square feet. Parking has also increased from around 50 spaces to 129, but is visually concealed deep within the structure

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2018, 08:06:24 PM »
The white-hot Fulton Market District in Chicago had two announcements today (again west of the loop and the new home of McDonald's.  One block west of Halsted is Green Street, the epicenter of this neighborhood) ...

This is arguably the hottest office market in the nation, one of the most popular destinations for educated millennials in the country.

This is the neighborhood that has many "pooh-bahs" in Chicago thinking they will snag Amazon because it is so desirable right now.  (again, many in Chicago think Amazon is going to announce more than one HQ2, maybe 3 or 4, and if they are correct, they think it is a lock one of them is Chicago and this neighborhood in particular.)

Do not think all of this is a new under 30 playground before they bail for Mount Prospect.  Even without Amazon, this is a serious money bet that this generation is more "urban" and planning on sticking around?

---------------

This was announced this morning ...

Developer unveils plans for Fulton Market high-rises
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/realestate/20180130/CRED03/180139969#utm_medium=email&utm_source=ccb-morning10&utm_campaign=ccb-morning10-20180131

With developers piling into the Fulton Market District, city officials now face a key question: How tall is too tall?

The answer may become more clear this week after Chicago developer Related Midwest presents plans for two high-rises there, one rising 51 stories and the other, 58. The towers would be the tallest in the fast-growing neighborhood, dwarfing its many historic low-rise structures and even buildings developed there the last few years.

Then this afternoon ...

Chicago developer unwraps second West Loop tower
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/realestate/20180131/CRED03/180139940/chicago-developer-unwraps-second-west-loop-tower#utm_medium=email&utm_source=ccb-breakingnews&utm_campaign=ccb-breakingnews-20180131

The Chicago developer wants to construct the 680-foot tower on Randolph Street just west of the Kennedy, on the edge of the Fulton Market neighborhood. Designed by Roger Ferris & Partners, the project would include a 165-room Equinox Hotel, a 30,000-square-foot Equinox health club and 370 apartments.

And before these three towers (the three tallest building in the midwest not in the Loop or along Michigan Ave), this was announced in November ...

17-story office tower planned at 167 N. Green Street in Chicago’s Fulton Market
The project will need to amend a previously approved plan for an office building at Lake and Halsted
https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/11/21/16684808/fulton-market-office-tower-development

And this is December ...

Developer plans three office towers, movie theater at former Coyne College site
Sterling Bay is doubling down on the booming West Loop
https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/12/12/16769452/west-loop-development-sterling-bay-office-high-rise

The plan would involve tearing down the Coyne College building at 330 N. Green Street for a 20-story office tower with ground floor retail. The parking lot across from the shuttered school would give way to a glassy 19-story office tower designed by SOM. The vacant lot to the north at 360 N. Green is earmarked for a 21-story office building. Each new structure is expected to include “hundreds” of parking spaces.

Sterling Bay also proposes a nine-story building at 345 N. Morgan—just north of its newly-opened Ace Hotel. Designed by Gensler, ground-floor would include ground-floor retail and multiple levels of parking topped by an eight-screen movie theater. It could open by early 2020

And this across the street from the one above (announced in September) ....

Details emerge regarding 24-story office tower planned for West Loop parking lot
While no approvals have been granted, the project’s developer hopes to welcome tenants by 2020
https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/9/27/16327062/fulton-market-office-high-rise-development-coyne-college

The dramatic transformation of Chicago’s Fulton Market from meatpacking district to emerging office market is poised to take another step forward as more details emerge regarding a proposed 24-story tower planned for the former Coyne College parking lot at 333 N. Green Street.

While prominent West Loop developer Sterling Bay previously made its intentions to redevelop the parking lot quite clear, a series of renderings and a stacking plan obtained by DNAinfo Chicago provide a first look at the glass and metal clad tower. In addition to thirteen floors of rentable office space, the images also show a two-story lobby, ground floor retail space, several levels of parking, a 7th floor amenity deck, and outdoor terraces on floors 15 and 22.

And finally this one on Lake and Halsted (also Announced In November)

Fulton Market office plan doubles in size
The 17-story project will feature a publicly accessible pedestrian promenade on its ground floor
https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/11/30/16719546/fulton-market-office-development-mews

A previously-approved Fulton Market office project at the corner of Lake and Halsted is back with an all new and much larger design. The changes are a result of a joint venture comprising of Shapack Partners and Focus Development acquiring an additional parcel along Green Street. Previously owned by Bridgford Foods, the piece was earmarked for a five-story boutique office building as part of Bridgford’s future mixed-use redevelopment plan.

The bigger footprint has allowed Shapack and Focus to ditch plans for a smaller 14-story office structure known as 176 N. Halsted for a considerably more dense building. Clad in brick, metal, and glass, the now 17-story design has grown to 725,000 square feet. Parking has also increased from around 50 spaces to 129, but is visually concealed deep within the structure

The food and bars down there are incredible. Plus you've already got the beginnings of a tech area with that google office
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback