[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 136462 times)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #1400 on: April 11, 2024, 11:55:33 AM »
https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/ut/2024/04/10/toledo-women-s-basketball-coach-boggess-receives-5-year-deal-worth-450-000-annua/stories/20240410146

What I wanted to know was if MU was interested and she went to Toledo instead.  From this, I see she’ll be getting paid less than what I believe Duffy made at MU. 

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1401 on: April 11, 2024, 12:07:45 PM »
What I wanted to know was if MU was interested and she went to Toledo instead.  From this, I see she’ll be getting paid less than what I believe Duffy made at MU.

It is my understanding that MUWBB chose Gillespie over Boggess.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1402 on: April 11, 2024, 12:25:16 PM »

If that’s the case, I’m a bit surprised MU hasn’t announced anything yet.  Toledo moved very quickly here - their job opened up after MU and they announced Boggess a couple days ago.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1403 on: April 11, 2024, 01:36:58 PM »
Former Marquette signed to Georgetown - https://x.com/raoul_000/status/1778492162360967418?s=12

BHawk309

• Walk-On
« Reply #1404 on: April 11, 2024, 01:58:12 PM »
Tarragona- any more scoop on who or when?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1405 on: April 11, 2024, 07:07:02 PM »
Please let them announce the new coach tomorrow - I don’t want this dragging out into next week.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1406 on: April 12, 2024, 07:49:41 AM »
Duffy has named two assistants at VT so far and neither are ones who were assistants at MU this past season.  One spent one season at MU under Duffy a few years ago.  I wonder if Raterman who was her only assistant with her during her whole MU tenure is going to follow her to VT or maybe she’s going for her own head coaching job.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #1407 on: April 12, 2024, 08:36:56 AM »
I have no insight… but this seems to be dragging on

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1408 on: April 12, 2024, 08:57:59 AM »
I have no insight… but this seems to be dragging on

I feel like it is dragging on.  Toledo and Marshall had coaches announce their departures announced after Duffy’s departure and they have both announced new coaches already.

And the more it drags on, the more I worry about who they are going to hire.

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1409 on: April 12, 2024, 09:15:36 AM »
Duffy has named two assistants at VT so far and neither are ones who were assistants at MU this past season.  One spent one season at MU under Duffy a few years ago.  I wonder if Raterman who was her only assistant with her during her whole MU tenure is going to follow her to VT or maybe she’s going for her own head coaching job.

One of the challenges Duffy had at MU was assistant turnover. Leaving for Baylor, UNC, Purdue, etc…but she was able to land the UNC assistant to Virginia Tech.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1410 on: April 12, 2024, 09:33:21 AM »

One of the challenges Duffy had at MU was assistant turnover. Leaving for Baylor, UNC, Purdue, etc…but she was able to land the UNC assistant to Virginia Tech.

And that UNC assistant spent all of one season with Duffy at MU.  It was definitely a revolving door of assistants under Duffy.

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1411 on: April 12, 2024, 09:35:21 AM »
Tarragona- any more scoop on who or when?

If I don’t post anything new, then refer to my most recent posts for what I know and what I think. I will post something new when I have it. Nothing has changed in my opinion since my last post(s) regarding the search.

Again, to recap, I know two non-MU people involved with the search. One has a reputation for swinging for the fences early, then pivots to more realistic options. Will they contact every single option every single person wants? Probably not. Will they contact many options, enough to satisfy many people that the search was exhaustive? Yes. And there are some really good up and coming names too in that group. Contacting candidates and receiving returned interest are two different things. And that’s for a variety of reasons.

I don’t have specific info/reason to believe they are finalists for the MUWBB position. There is one person that I mentioned that is a possibility but I have yet to see a reason to put them in the finalist category.

The other person involved in the search is specifically connected to a few of the best up and coming coaches in the game. But again at this time I believe it will be Gillespie unless some new info comes my way. It’s just my opinion based on what I know.

Toledo specifically, and aggressively targeted Boggess. They weren’t the only school interested either. They made her a very good offer too.

If something new or different happens, I will try to post it in a timely manner.

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1412 on: April 12, 2024, 09:38:34 AM »
And that UNC assistant spent all of one season with Duffy at MU.  It was definitely a revolving door of assistants under Duffy.

And that’s why staff salary pool matters etc…operating budget is competitive.

Also notice the pattern of geography and leagues. I’ve seen many suggestions of this coach and that coach. But geography matters quite a but to some people. Other things are having a specific interest with another school or league.

Bears26

• Walk-On
« Reply #1413 on: April 12, 2024, 11:12:08 AM »
And that’s why staff salary pool matters etc…operating budget is competitive.

Also notice the pattern of geography and leagues. I’ve seen many suggestions of this coach and that coach. But geography matters quite a but to some people. Other things are having a specific interest with another school or league.

I also think background plays a huge factors.  The coach at UNLV is from Vegas.  OSU's coach has spent his entire career in Oregon.  Arizona's coach is an alum.  I don't think these coaches are leaving except if the situation at their school is untenable or the offer is so good, the coach can't say no. 

That said, when looking to hire a women's coach, I think one has to realize that girls hoops differs from boys hoops in that there are not enough top flight players to fill the rosters of all the high majors.  There is only enough talent for 10-12 programs, and the dropoff after that is dramatic.  So, I think you either need to go after a "recruiter" or a system coach (in other words, a female Dick Bennett). 

In short, I don't think MU is going to be able to recruit the top tier players, so getting the best "coach" possible should be the goal.  Kind of why I don't think Gillespe would be a good hire.  Her teams have been middling in the Valley and a school that has historically been pretty good at women's hoops.  1 NCAA appearance in 7 years.  Wojo went to 2 NCAAs in 7 years and our fanbase was overjoyed to see him go.  For the last 20 years (3 out of 4 coaches), ISU women's teams have been pretty good. However, Stephanie Glance, who had a much better record than Gillespie at ISU, bombed out at Columbia.  The other, Robin Pingeton, has had 4 good seasons in 14 years at Missouri.  Given her lack of significant success at ISU and the lack of success her predecessors have had when they moved on to new schools, I think that chance of a Gillespe led program being anything more than an occasional NCAA bid program is highly unlikely.

I would much rather MU take a chance on a coach who had extraordinary success at a lower level or turned a lower D1 school around into a power within their conference, than someone who has had minimal success at the D1 level.  There is no benefit to MU to play it safe with this hire.  Take a risk.  For comparison, I like when Indiana State hired Josh Shertz on the men's side.  Great success at D2, and played a fun system.  I hate what ISU did when he left, they decided to take the safe route and simply promote from within.  I think Matt Graves will be a bust. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1414 on: April 12, 2024, 11:16:52 AM »
Friday is bad news day so something must be delaying an announcement. 

BHawk309

• Walk-On
« Reply #1415 on: April 12, 2024, 04:23:25 PM »
Bears26- I'm not following the logic on Gillespie if background matters. Great coaching tree (Yow), and has worked in IL for the past 12 years. Her entire roster is midwest kids (mostly Iowa, IL, Minn and Wisc). Based on the MVC website, looks like she has had the Player of the Year and/or Newcomer of the Year 4 times. The MVC is a top 3 MidMajor conference year in and year out. The 4 years before she got to ISU, they were 28-93.  In her four most recent years at ISU, she is 80-44 with 4 post-season appearances (1 NCAA tourney). The MVC isnt the Big-East- at large bids don't happen. Drake, UNI, Belmont and Mizzo St are quality MVC teams, all in top 100 Rankings. Tough league. I remember watching this year's game in December, ISU missed a 3 to beat us. Probably deserved to win.

Again, my question remains, what other names are out there that we can get?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 04:25:27 PM by BHawk309 »

Bears26

• Walk-On
« Reply #1416 on: April 12, 2024, 04:57:50 PM »
In 7 years as the head coach, Gillespie has made the NCAAs once, and only because they won the conference tournament.  Her teams have finished above 4th in the league twice in 7 years. 

Let's compare her tenure to Bart Brooks at Belmont, another MVC team.  Belmont joined the league 2 years ago and finished 1st in year one and 2nd in year two.  Belmont's coach has been there 7 years.  Brooks is 172-55 over the same time period vs Gillespie's 133-82 over the same time period.  Brooks' teams been to 4 NCAA tourneys in the past 7 years and have never won less than 21 games in a season.  Gillespie has won over 21 games only twice. 

Yes, Gillespie's predecessor, Barb Smith, stunk, but ISU was pretty successful before that.  The school won at least 24 games in 6 out of the 7 prior seasons under 2 coaches. Given the past success of ISU and the fertile recruiting territory on the Chicago-St.Louis corridor, you would expect her (or any coach MU is looking for) to have more success on the court.

Look, I would have no problem if MU went after Brooks (they won't cause of his gender) or Allison Pohlman at Drake.  Those two have had excellent success in the Valley and deserve to move up.  But, nothing Gillespie has done tells me she is going to have more success at MU than she did at ISU.  Frankly, 1 NCAA bid in 7 years, and 2 top 3 finishes in 7 years is not acceptable.  MU should be striving to finish 2nd every year in the BE.  No, I don't expect them to compete with UConn till Geno is gone (if UConn is still in the conference), but I want them to be a solid second best team in the conference.     

MuMark

• All American

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1418 on: April 12, 2024, 09:28:12 PM »
https://x.com/skimmilkey/status/1778967125618467327?s=61&t=6XPB8f4sAKmJIzxgMcsCjw

Trilly is hit and miss with his accuracy. He had Drew to Uk, he had Beard, Tang, and Wade to Arkansas, and he had May to Louisville, to give some misses. He is correct sometimes. I know of multiple occasions where he was immediately contacted after a meeting. Hus contacts are agents. y department personnel mostly with occasional boosters, other.

With that said, there are 3 people in the process that communicate with Skim/Trilly. And they have yet to give him any new names to add to the list.

BHawk309

• Walk-On
« Reply #1419 on: April 12, 2024, 10:51:54 PM »
Bears26- While Drake and Belmont are both very good, Brooks beat up in the OVC for 5 years and padded the win total. Not apples to apples. The OVC is one of the worst leagues in America. And Pohlman has yet to win with her players. All those kids were signed by Baranczyk. So the book is still out on her. I’d take Tonya Warren over them. One name I heard today was Kayla Karius, but that seems like a reach. If it isn’t Gillespie, I’m guessing is someone from out of region (east or west coast). 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1420 on: April 13, 2024, 07:14:21 PM »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1421 on: April 15, 2024, 08:21:15 AM »
If it is Gillespie, why is it taking this long?  I keep hearing of transfers picking new schools and feel like MU is missing out.  I really hope they announce very early this week.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1422 on: April 15, 2024, 11:38:50 AM »
If it is Gillespie, why is it taking this long?  I keep hearing of transfers picking new schools and feel like MU is missing out.  I really hope they announce very early this week.

Was thinking about this too.  With the thin roster it would be nice to get into the portal immediately.

BHawk309

• Walk-On
« Reply #1423 on: April 15, 2024, 05:41:05 PM »
Can’t be Gillespie or wouldn’t it be done by now? Time is ticking in the portal! I’m guessing Harper, Miller or Griffith. Flying under the radar until the announcement. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1424 on: April 15, 2024, 06:01:58 PM »
Can’t be Gillespie or wouldn’t it be done by now? Time is ticking in the portal! I’m guessing Harper, Miller or Griffith. Flying under the radar until the announcement.

Yeah they have all of 5 players on the 24-25 roster and possibly one incoming recruit still.  They need a coach in place to try to start picking up some transfers.

I’m really not getting a very good feeling with how long this is taking.

feedback