[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 136319 times)

MuMark

• All American
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #1325 on: April 03, 2024, 12:13:50 PM »
Looking forward to who,is next…..I wasn’t a fan.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #1326 on: April 03, 2024, 12:19:28 PM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1327 on: April 03, 2024, 12:56:53 PM »
Dang got called a mid major. Ouch

https://x.com/94feetwbb/status/1775547135921901898?s=46

I'm more surprised by the description of her as "one of the most successful" anythings.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1328 on: April 03, 2024, 12:59:03 PM »
I'm more surprised by the description of her as "one of the most successful" anythings.

Yes how successful are you with zero NCAA Tournament wins? 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1329 on: April 03, 2024, 01:54:23 PM »
Taking advice from Buzz Williams?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1330 on: April 03, 2024, 03:00:03 PM »
No clue on the search but I was always impressed with Kieger's assistant Ginny Boggess. Recruited the BE Champs at MU and has quickly turned Monmouth around as head coach in her first head coach stint there.

Jury is still out on Scott Merritt.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1331 on: April 03, 2024, 04:03:25 PM »
Thought her first two years were brilliant, she seemed to over acheive. 

But Megan the GM, failed Megan the coach. 

Too bad, she was good people but as others have said, cupboard is bare.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1332 on: April 03, 2024, 04:07:44 PM »
I like the Boggess as candidate idea.

Harper from Tennessee would be a good candidate too but I’m not sure she’d consider Marquette.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1333 on: April 03, 2024, 04:11:48 PM »
Harper may just want to sit out on her buy out for a year and see what comes available next year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1334 on: April 03, 2024, 04:38:54 PM »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1335 on: April 03, 2024, 09:30:55 PM »
https://x.com/amanitjenkins/status/1775662112351650189?s=12

Class of 2025 verbal commit to MU reopens her recruiting process.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 09:32:48 PM by Marquette Fan »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1336 on: April 03, 2024, 09:46:35 PM »

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1337 on: April 04, 2024, 01:09:10 PM »
Carly Thibault-Dudonis has been contacted regarding the MUWBB coaching position. It’s early in the process. There will be other names. But she is a candidate.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1338 on: April 04, 2024, 08:15:49 PM »
Carly Thibault-Dudonis has been contacted regarding the MUWBB coaching position. It’s early in the process. There will be other names. But she is a candidate.

Thats a really intriguin name.  She had a hell of a season and comes from a hell of a coaching lineage.  Maybe Pops would come and help on the bench for a few years.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1339 on: April 04, 2024, 08:35:53 PM »
Thats a really intriguin name.  She had a hell of a season and comes from a hell of a coaching lineage.  Maybe Pops would come and help on the bench for a few years.

She’s definitely a young up and comer as she’s only 32.  Her brother Eric took over for Dad as the Mystics coach.

Random thing - her husband Blake was the one who broke the news on Twitter in 2019 when ESPN accidentally leaked the whole women’s bracket a few hours before the selection show - https://x.com/blakedudonis/status/1107728155182284801?s=46&t=qmHojXzONY0z7kSh4Cq1Rg

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1340 on: April 05, 2024, 07:52:48 AM »

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1341 on: April 05, 2024, 02:46:22 PM »
Terri Williams, Ginny Boggess, Delisha Milton-Jones, Allison Pohlman, have been contacted regarding the MUWBB position.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1342 on: April 05, 2024, 03:06:12 PM »
Terri Williams, Ginny Boggess, Delisha Milton-Jones, Allison Pohlman, have been contacted regarding the MUWBB position.

Interesting list - Williams used to coach in the BE too although I didn’t recognize the name at first since I remember her as Williams -Flournoy.  Boggess has the history at MU obviously and some head coaching experience.  Pohlman seems to be doing well at Drake taking over for former MU assistant Jennie Baranczyk.

Don’t know much about Milton-jones as a coach.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1343 on: April 05, 2024, 03:36:37 PM »

Easily the least exciting of the bunch, IMO.  Never made an NCAA in 6-7 years as a HC and even more underwhelming...has never finished better than 4th in conference in her time at ODU, all in 1 bid mid major conferences.

Pohlman is the most logical of the group, I think.  She's done really nice stuff at Drake and has really good momentum. 

Boggess makes the most sense if you want a MU connection.

Thibault-Dudonis has the biggest risk/reward profile.  Has the makings of a young star but also fairly unproven.

Williams and Milton-Jones are concerning cause neither have had much success lately and aren't that young.  Williams success at Georgetown was more than a decade ago.

If they are contacting Milton-Jones, wonder why they didn't contact Cara Consuegra?  Another Marquette assistant at a mid major in that area that has had just as much, if not more, success.

Its pretty clear that the administration wants a female head coach, which is fine, cause the coach at James Madison is a far more attactive hire on a results/profile basis than Milton-Jones in the same conference.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1344 on: April 05, 2024, 06:20:00 PM »
Easily the least exciting of the bunch, IMO.  Never made an NCAA in 6-7 years as a HC and even more underwhelming...has never finished better than 4th in conference in her time at ODU, all in 1 bid mid major conferences.

Pohlman is the most logical of the group, I think.  She's done really nice stuff at Drake and has really good momentum. 

Thibault-Dudonis has the biggest risk/reward profile.  Has the makings of a young star but also fairly unproven.

Williams and Milton-Jones are concerning cause neither have had much success lately and aren't that young.  Williams success at Georgetown was more than a decade ago.

If they are contacting Milton-Jones, wonder why they didn't contact Cara Consuegra?  Another Marquette assistant at a mid major in that area that has had just as much, if not more, success.

Its pretty clear that the administration wants a female head coach, which is fine, cause the coach at James Madison is a far more attactive hire on a results/profile basis than Milton-Jones in the same conference.

And as I recall with Williams, she wasn't super successful when she left Georgetown.

I'm not sure Consuegra would want to come back to Marquette.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1345 on: April 06, 2024, 02:47:36 PM »
UCONN just keeps restocking - they got a commitment today for the #1 player in the class of 2024 - https://x.com/maggie_vanoni/status/1776621317376127334

They already have commitments from the #4 player in the class who is from Neenah, WI and the #18 player in the class of 2024.  At Marquette it was notable that they had a top 100 recruit coming in who of course is no longer coming to MU after Duffy's departure.

UCONN came darn close to making the NCAA Final this season even dealing with a ton of injuries - looks like they will be even better next season.  That UCONN-Iowa game last night was a lot of fun to watch by the way :) .

Mentioning UCONN here since they are the top team in MU's conference.

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1346 on: April 06, 2024, 07:27:30 PM »
Interesting list - Williams used to coach in the BE too although I didn’t recognize the name at first since I remember her as Williams -Flournoy.  Boggess has the history at MU obviously and some head coaching experience.  Pohlman seems to be doing well at Drake taking over for former MU assistant Jennie Baranczyk.

Milton-Jones had a long professional career before becoming an assistant at Pepperdine, and eventual head coach. In just her 2nd season, she led Pepperdine to its most successful wins in 20 years and their only post season tourney in school history.

She left to be an ACC assistant under a very good long time coach who has a poor personal reputation. He was recently, controversially hired, as an Ole Miss assistant.

She was hired to be the HC at ODU where she has had a 12-6 league record the past 3 (of 4) seasons. She’s had an overall record of 24-10, 22-12, 22-9 in those seasons.

She was selected as an assistant coach for the USA U19 Gold Medal team last Summer. And she was also selected an assistant on the USA U18 team the prior year.

Prior to that she played 17 years in the WNBA, where set the record for most games played in the league. 2 time WNBA Champion as a player, and a 3 time All Star. She also played 16 seasons in Europe where she was league MVP several times. She played for Carol Ross at Florida where she was named the National College Player of the Year while playing in 4 NCAA Tourneys.

Two of her coaching friends, peers, mentors, and former teammates have been the late Nikki McCray and Dawn Staley.

She also has the endorsement of Nancy Lieberman, Anne Donovan, and Ticha Penichero.

Again these are some of the names I know so far. Names will be added, dropped, and possibly hidden etc…in the process as it progresses. I will try to mention anything of note when I hear it.

I know of at least 2 people that have interest in the job.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 08:46:10 PM by Tarragona »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1347 on: April 06, 2024, 07:57:01 PM »
Can you say who the two interested in the job are?

It’s times like this when I am reminded how little in the know I am 😂

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1348 on: April 06, 2024, 07:59:35 PM »

Jabir, Mitchell, Kieger, Duffy had zero combined NCAA appearances as a Head Coach, prior to being Head Coach at Marquette.

Duffy had 2 seasons as a head coach prior to Marquette. Kieger had zero. Mitchell had zero. Jabir had 4, 3 in D-1.

Williams made 3 NCAA tourneys and 2 WNIT’s in her first 7 seasons at Auburn, in addition to her success at Georgetown.

Consuegra has never gone more than 2 seasons in a row with a winning record. 5 of her 13 seasons at Charlotte have been losing record seasons. She has had a few strong seasons mixed in with the others. 9 of her 13 seasons there, her teams finished 4th or worse in their league.

I referenced the resume of Milton-Jones in a separate post.

The HC at JMU is a JMU alum. He’s been there 21 years combined as a student manager, assistant coach, and head coach. He’s been successful there.

There are no set requirements or parameters.

Tarragona

• Walk-On
« Reply #1349 on: April 06, 2024, 08:11:42 PM »
Can you say who the two interested in the job are?

It’s times like this when I am reminded how little in the know I am 😂

It’s not that the others don’t have interest. So I am hesitant to be more specific than that. Hopefully all of the current and possibly future additional candidates have interest. I can send you a message about it after the process.

feedback