[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 136303 times)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #1250 on: February 26, 2024, 12:01:59 PM »
Marquette’s release for the game tomorrow says they are honoring King, Hottinger, Kaifes, Nkumu and Karlen for senior night.  I think the last 3 could have played next season had they wanted to but it seems they’ve decided to finish up this season which is fine of course.  I wish the release said if the ceremony was before or after the game.  They used to do it afterwards which I preferred but guessing it’s before the game with the later start and plus I think it’s been done pre-game for a few years now.

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #1251 on: February 27, 2024, 10:26:45 AM »
Marquette’s release for the game tomorrow says they are honoring King, Hottinger, Kaifes, Nkumu and Karlen for senior night.  I think the last 3 could have played next season had they wanted to but it seems they’ve decided to finish up this season which is fine of course.  I wish the release said if the ceremony was before or after the game.  They used to do it afterwards which I preferred but guessing it’s before the game with the later start and plus I think it’s been done pre-game for a few years now.

Per the season ticket holder game day e-mail, the Senior Night ceremony will occur pre-game.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1252 on: February 27, 2024, 11:57:55 AM »
Per the season ticket holder game day e-mail, the Senior Night ceremony will occur pre-game.

Thanks - I did search my email this morning and found it there.  I thought that info would have been helpful to include in the game release also but oh well.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1253 on: February 27, 2024, 08:49:05 PM »
This offense is just brutal to watch.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1254 on: February 27, 2024, 08:53:03 PM »
This offense is just brutal to watch.

What offense???

2 points in the quarter with 1:31 to go.  They needed this game - this is awful.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1255 on: February 27, 2024, 08:54:33 PM »
Let’s see if they can even match the 4 points they had in a quarter against Georgetown.  Not sure this is an NCAA Tourney team.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1256 on: February 27, 2024, 08:56:34 PM »
What offense???

2 points in the quarter with 1:31 to go.  They needed this game - this is awful.

It's Duffy's biggest flaw as a coach. The offense is so predictable, and they take so many inefficient shots, it drives me crazy.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1257 on: February 27, 2024, 08:58:19 PM »
It's Duffy's biggest flaw as a coach. The offense is so predictable, and they take so many inefficient shots, it drives me crazy.

Agree on that point.

Little run in the last minute of the third quarter - now to see if it’s too little too late.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1258 on: February 28, 2024, 07:51:54 AM »
That was just an awful performance in a game they really needed to win.  They are most likely 5th in the BE at this point.  St. John's has finished their regular season at 11-7.  I'm figuring Villanova will end up 11-7 likely losing at UCONN tonight and beating DePaul at home to finish the season.  And I'm figuring MU will lose at Butler Saturday to finish 10-8.  Even if they tie with one/both of St. John's/Villanova it won't really matter as they both swept MU and will win tiebreakers.  A win Saturday would be good of course but with how they've been playing I'm not real hopeful of a win.

St. John's and Villanova are one of the one time only match-ups this season and St. John's beat Villanova in their only meeting so they'll win a head to head tiebreaker between those two I believe. 

I'm guessing MU will get Villanova in the BET for their first game - we will see.

They may find themselves on the wrong side of the bubble now. 

NET dropped to 36 after this loss.

On another note, former MU coach Carolyn Kieger's PSU team is now one of the first teams out in the latest ESPN bracketology.  Grad transfer Taylor Valladay who played for two years at MU tore her ACL - she had been playing very well for them.  Feel bad for her to have her career end like that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1259 on: February 28, 2024, 11:04:30 AM »
Probably stoopid question: Do Big East women's teams play only 18 conference games each? If so, was a reason ever given for not having a double-round-robin schedule?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1260 on: February 28, 2024, 11:13:49 AM »
Probably stoopid question: Do Big East women's teams play only 18 conference games each? If so, was a reason ever given for not having a double-round-robin schedule?

Yes. UConn wanted to keep it at 18 so they could add more quality non-con games to their schedule.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1261 on: February 28, 2024, 11:36:51 AM »
Yes. UConn wanted to keep it at 18 so they could add more quality non-con games to their schedule.

This is the first year of the 18 game schedule.  Worked out for UCONN also that they only had to play Xavier and Butler once - no need to beat up on them twice.  Xavier hasn’t won a BE game in two years and Butler is one of the bottom teams also.

St. John’s and Villanova have a good chance of tying and they only played once with St. John’s prevailing at home.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1262 on: February 28, 2024, 11:40:42 AM »
This is the first year of the 18 game schedule.  Worked out for UCONN also that they only had to play Xavier and Butler once - no need to beat up on them twice.  Xavier hasn’t won a BE game in two years and Butler is one of the bottom teams also.

St. John’s and Villanova have a good chance of tying and they only played once with St. John’s prevailing at home.

Ah. So they went from 20 down to 18.

Thanks.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1263 on: February 28, 2024, 12:07:04 PM »

Thanks for the response. Makes sense.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1264 on: February 28, 2024, 01:34:52 PM »
Thanks for the response. Makes sense.

And truthfully I can’t blame UCONN for wanting to play more non-conference games.  They are down compared to what they usually are this season and are still on track to go undefeated in conference play.  No BE team has even really challenged them yet.  And UCONN does play a tough non-conference schedule.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1265 on: February 28, 2024, 01:43:14 PM »
BE release about the new 18 game unbalanced schedule for 23-24 - https://www.bigeast.com/news/2023/9/28/big-east-announces-2023-24-womens-basketball-conference-schedule.aspx

List of schedule pairings showing the opponents everyone played only once:
https://www.bigeast.com/documents/2023/9/25/SchedulingPairings2324.pdf

Wow - Villanova did not make out well with this schedule - they only got St. John's on the road and may very well likely tie them in the standings and St. John's won that game and missed out on an easy win as they only played Xavier at home.

Marquette's two one time opponents were at Providence and home to Georgetown - they won both those games. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1266 on: February 29, 2024, 07:30:38 PM »
Caitlin Clark announces that this will be her final college season and that she will enter the WNBA draft.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1267 on: February 29, 2024, 08:31:01 PM »
Caitlin Clark announces that this will be her final college season and that she will enter the WNBA draft.

Speaking of Clark, the latest ESPN bracketology has MU as a 10 going to Iowa City having a likely matchup against Clark's team should they be able to win their first game.  And MU is listed as one of the last 4 byes.  Their NET dropped down a point to 37 today also.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #1268 on: March 01, 2024, 03:45:48 PM »
That's good news. I figured they were out based on recent swoon. Time to get back to winning ways.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #1269 on: March 01, 2024, 06:24:04 PM »
Just watched the Illinois girls Class 4A semifinal game. Loyola Academy has a junior 5'6" guard #13 Aubrey Galvan. Announcers indicated she has an offer from MU. She would be a nice get.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1270 on: March 01, 2024, 11:25:10 PM »
That's good news. I figured they were out based on recent swoon. Time to get back to winning ways.

I don’t think they are out yet but do think if they lose at Butler and in their first BET game, they could find themselves on the wrong side of the bubble.  I would rather them have a 10 seed than an 8/9.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1271 on: March 01, 2024, 11:26:46 PM »
Just watched the Illinois girls Class 4A semifinal game. Loyola Academy has a junior 5'6" guard #13 Aubrey Galvan. Announcers indicated she has an offer from MU. She would be a nice get.

Thanks for the update - I don’t hear much recruiting info for the women.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1272 on: March 02, 2024, 08:51:56 AM »
The Davidson WBB team had to cancel the rest of its season because so many players are injured.

Earlier in the year, Arizona and TCU had to hold open tryouts for extra players due to numerous injuries.

I had never heard of this kind of thing happening, let alone to three D1 teams - including two high-majors - in one season.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1273 on: March 02, 2024, 09:48:56 AM »
The Davidson WBB team had to cancel the rest of its season because so many players are injured.

Earlier in the year, Arizona and TCU had to hold open tryouts for extra players due to numerous injuries.

I had never heard of this kind of thing happening, let alone to three D1 teams - including two high-majors - in one season.

Women ACL tears are like 2.5 times higher than men in soccer and 3.5 higher in basketball. Not sure on volleyball. About 10 years ago MU started training and teaching technique differently as a result of a rash on injuries, IIRC. This is where the Sports Performance school has paid dividends.

I am sure Scoop has experts here who can add a lot more context. But, it was things like developing different muscles around the knee than men in the weight room and not going straight up for rebounds like men are taught but jumping towards the ball on an angle.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1274 on: March 02, 2024, 10:42:02 AM »
Women ACL tears are like 2.5 times higher than men in soccer and 3.5 higher in basketball. Not sure on volleyball. About 10 years ago MU started training and teaching technique differently as a result of a rash on injuries, IIRC. This is where the Sports Performance school has paid dividends.

I am sure Scoop has experts here who can add a lot more context. But, it was things like developing different muscles around the knee than men in the weight room and not going straight up for rebounds like men are taught but jumping towards the ball on an angle.

Interesting Doc. I know HS girls on soccer teams are prone to concussions. I did not know about what you posted in college bball.

Oh, and your comment about Scoop having experts? Umm...yeah. You might be right on that.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.