[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 136547 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #1225 on: February 07, 2024, 08:36:19 PM »
That was one of the worst quarters of college basketball I’ve ever seen.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1226 on: February 07, 2024, 08:41:53 PM »
Inauspicious beginning
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1227 on: February 07, 2024, 09:03:39 PM »
That was one of the worst quarters of college basketball I’ve ever seen.

That’s exactly what I said to my friend at the game.  First one to 20 wins???  20-14 MU at halftime and it’s still very painful to watch.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1228 on: February 07, 2024, 09:07:23 PM »
Mike, having junior high coaching ptsd flashbacks?  I had some now funny stories going through my head.   My wife was laughing at me.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1229 on: February 07, 2024, 09:24:10 PM »
Mike, having junior high coaching ptsd flashbacks?  I had some now funny stories going through my head.   My wife was laughing at me.

Junior High girls' bball was exactly what I was thinking while watching this, this....whatever it is. My Gawd! It was 6-4 GT with 8:30 left in the 2nd quarter.  ::)  And I thought DePaul bball was as bad as it could get. Wrong!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 09:25:59 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1230 on: February 07, 2024, 10:51:46 PM »
There was a Marquette vs Georgetown game ( men’s teams) a few years back where the score was something like 10-8 halfway through the first half. Somewhere I have a picture of the scoreboard.
Glad the women picked up the win.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1231 on: February 08, 2024, 01:01:20 AM »
There was a Marquette vs Georgetown game ( men’s teams) a few years back where the score was something like 10-8 halfway through the first half. Somewhere I have a picture of the scoreboard.
Glad the women picked up the win.

Yeah it certainly wasn’t pretty but I left the game saying at least they won.  This game along with how they’ve been playing lately does have me concerned for when Villanova comes to town on Saturday.

Georgetown was coming off a 44-42 win at home against DePaul on Sunday.  It’s crazy to me to see a Doug Bruno team score only 42 points and shows how this is definitely not a typical year for DePaul.

Marquette didn’t make a 3 in this game - was wondering when the last time that happened.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1232 on: February 08, 2024, 09:05:09 AM »

I don't have to flash back far, as I just completed my 7th season as a middle school head coach. We lost 97% of the scoring from last year's team and had six 6th-graders playing this season. We scrapped our way to a few wins because the girls played very hard, but we had no experience and not much talent ... and the coaching wasn't anything to write home about, either. Putting the ball into the basket against a quality opponent was difficult and rare for us.

A week ago today, we were losing our playoff game 4-0 after the first quarter and 11-3 at halftime, and yes, I thought of that while I watched last night's game.

Fortunately, unlike my team, Marquette turned things around last night and won going away.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1233 on: February 08, 2024, 10:46:39 AM »
I don't have to flash back far, as I just completed my 7th season as a middle school head coach. We lost 97% of the scoring from last year's team and had six 6th-graders playing this season. We scrapped our way to a few wins because the girls played very hard, but we had no experience and not much talent ... and the coaching wasn't anything to write home about, either. Putting the ball into the basket against a quality opponent was difficult and rare for us.

A week ago today, we were losing our playoff game 4-0 after the first quarter and 11-3 at halftime, and yes, I thought of that while I watched last night's game.

Fortunately, unlike my team, Marquette turned things around last night and won going away.
This brings back memories. My 4th garde girls team won a gam 2-0.  :o

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1234 on: February 08, 2024, 12:51:31 PM »
This brings back memories. My 4th garde girls team won a gam 2-0.  :o

We played two opponents that, if we played them 100x each, we'd have gone 200-0. They were so bad, could barely even get the ball across midcourt against us - and we were not a good team (though we were quite aggressive).

Of course, we also played a couple teams that we'd have gone 0-100 against.

At this level (whether it's girls or boys basketball), if you have 2 really good players - especially if 1 is the PG - you can be very good. I've had that and enjoyed a couple of championships ... and I've not had that and experienced a couple of losing seasons. Either way, we've had a lot of fun.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1235 on: February 08, 2024, 02:24:43 PM »
We played two opponents that, if we played them 100x each, we'd have gone 200-0. They were so bad, could barely even get the ball across midcourt against us - and we were not a good team (though we were quite aggressive).

Of course, we also played a couple teams that we'd have gone 0-100 against.

At this level (whether it's girls or boys basketball), if you have 2 really good players - especially if 1 is the PG - you can be very good. I've had that and enjoyed a couple of championships ... and I've not had that and experienced a couple of losing seasons. Either way, we've had a lot of fun.
Players do make all the difference. My 4th grade girls, had 1 win; my 3rd grade girls the same year lost in the championship. Either I was a great and a terrible coach at the same time, or talent carried the day.

IMHO, I was not a very good coach, but had fun and the girls always had fun. I'm glad I did it, but I never coached two teams in single season again. It's a grind.  :D

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #1236 on: February 08, 2024, 02:51:50 PM »
Marquette didn’t make a 3 in this game - was wondering when the last time that happened.

On the broadcast the announcers said the last time they didn't make a 3 was in 2022 against Creighton. A game they only attempted 2 three pointers the whole game!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1237 on: February 08, 2024, 02:55:27 PM »
Better to grind out an ugly win than turn it into an ugly loss.    Georgetown has to be pissed.      And a more apt comparison would be watching a Mike Deane coached game.   

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1238 on: February 08, 2024, 05:57:33 PM »
On the broadcast the announcers said the last time they didn't make a 3 was in 2022 against Creighton. A game they only attempted 2 three pointers the whole game!

Thanks - I didn't research it but figured it had been a little while since that happened.  That game with only 2 three point attempts rings a bell a bit also.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1239 on: February 08, 2024, 06:00:32 PM »
Better to grind out an ugly win than turn it into an ugly loss.    Georgetown has to be pissed.      And a more apt comparison would be watching a Mike Deane coached game.   

I'll take the ugly win any day but I'm not feeling real great about how they've been playing lately.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1240 on: February 08, 2024, 06:02:59 PM »
A fun podcast I stumbled upon yesterday called the Dinner Table hosted by Karley, Cam and Chloe Marotta.

The latest episode is called Love and Basketball featuring Liza Karlen and Oso Ighodaro:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2zaLMbEtYvgAKqFjnUfsdA?si=s2ZG52-1SGOgSTb6024vKA

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1241 on: February 08, 2024, 08:19:15 PM »
Former MU coach Krieger in a big game tonight.   Her team is very disruptive on defense.   Making Clark look rushed and sloppy so far.

A wee bit different pace than MU/Georgetown.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1242 on: February 08, 2024, 08:27:57 PM »
Former MU coach Krieger in a big game tonight.   Her team is very disruptive on defense.   Making Clark look rushed and sloppy so far.

A wee bit different pace than MU/Georgetown.

Fun to see Hiedeman on the bench also as she’s an assistant for PSU.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #1243 on: February 10, 2024, 02:20:56 PM »
Turned the TV on and there's the women's team with a home game v. Villanova on Fox. Sounds like a very good crowd.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1244 on: February 18, 2024, 07:41:55 PM »
It's not good that Marquette couldn't get the win over Villanova at home either.  Then they went to DePaul and almost blew a huge lead heading into the 4th quarter but escaped with the win there. 

They remain on track to make the NCAA Tourney but look to be heading to the dreaded 8/9 seed.  They have Seton Hall and St. John's at home and Xavier and Butler on the road remaining.  The games are all very winnable but I take nothing for granted with this team.  Although they better beat Xavier - they haven't won a conference game since Feb 20, 2022 now and have a 315 NET.  Butler is playing better and just won at Villanova so they will likely be a tough opponent on the road to finish the regular season.  St. John's is ahead of MU at 9-6 now to MU's 8-6 and a win over them would mean a season split with them at least.  Seton Hall is just below MU at 7-8 and sweeping them would help MU of course.

If Marquette can win out, they have a decent shot to end up 3rd in the BE.  Villanova still has to play at Creighton and at UCONN which will be tough for them - I'm guessing they'll end up 11-7 in the BE.  If MU beats St. John's, they can only be 11-7 at best in the BE and MU would be 12-6 if they win out.  But as I said it's not a given by any means that MU will win out.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1245 on: February 18, 2024, 09:39:17 PM »
Has anyone heard yet if Liza Karlen or Rose Nkumu intend on taking their Covid year to play another season at MU?  I guess maybe we will find out on senior night when we see if it's just Jordan King and Frannie Hottinger they honor or if either Karlen and Nkumu are also honored.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #1246 on: February 19, 2024, 11:16:54 AM »
Thanks for the update.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1247 on: February 20, 2024, 10:12:25 PM »
They did not play very well tonight but managed to come from behind and get a win over Seton Hall.  They pick up their 20th win on the season and move to 9-6 in the Big East - still in the hunt to possibly finish 3rd.

A road contest against the worst team by far in the BE - Xavier is next.  Xavier’s last BE win was 2 years ago today.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1248 on: February 24, 2024, 03:06:12 PM »
Easy win today as it should have been - 86-60 final.  All 5 starters were in double figures and Volker was close off the bench with 9 points.  Hare led the way with 5 3 pointers and 23 points.  Karlen and Hottinger had double-doubles.

Marquette moves to 21-6 overall and 10-6 in the BE.  They are tied with Villanova for 3rd in the BE and St. John's is right there also at 10-7.  They need to finish ahead of Villanova in the standings as they lost to them twice so have no tiebreaker against them.  Villanova goes to UCONN next and then hosts DePaul to end the season.  I'm figuring on them going 1-1 in that stretch to end 11-7.  Then if Marquette wins out, they could finish ahead of Villanova (assuming Villanova loses at UCONN).  Winning out guarantees they'd finish ahead of St. John's since they play each other next.

Next up is St. John's at home - need to avenge their road loss there.  Will have to see who they are honoring for senior night - I know King and Hottinger have used up their eligibility.  Karlen and Nkumu still have a Covid year they can use I believe and I have no idea if they intend on returning or not.  Kaifes was injured previously - not sure if she has more eligibility or not.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1249 on: February 24, 2024, 06:41:50 PM »
Thanks for the info!

feedback