collapse

* Recent Posts

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:36:07 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:25:35 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 136312 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #1175 on: December 20, 2023, 02:33:06 PM »
Thanks for posting these nuggets Marquette Fan. Always read them with great interest.

Congratulations to LK.

Agreed, the scoop updates actually got me watching the volleyball team and women's team occasionally.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1176 on: December 20, 2023, 09:12:41 PM »
More for Liza:
https://x.com/marchmadnesswbb/status/1737563606353334776?s=46&t=qmHojXzONY0z7kSh4Cq1Rg

And congrats to one of my all time favorite MU players Chloe Marotta on the honor of being named the McCahill Award winner:
https://x.com/muathletics/status/1737534710715125944?s=12

And speaking of that family, here’s a great article on Chloe’s sister Karley - https://x.com/jimpolzinwsj/status/1730580194748977458?s=46&t=qmHojXzONY0z7kSh4Cq1Rg

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1177 on: December 20, 2023, 10:30:21 PM »
More for Liza:
https://x.com/marchmadnesswbb/status/1737563606353334776?s=46&t=qmHojXzONY0z7kSh4Cq1Rg

And congrats to one of my all time favorite MU players Chloe Marotta on the honor of being named the McCahill Award winner:
https://x.com/muathletics/status/1737534710715125944?s=12

And speaking of that family, here’s a great article on Chloe’s sister Karley - https://x.com/jimpolzinwsj/status/1730580194748977458?s=46&t=qmHojXzONY0z7kSh4Cq1Rg

And Cam's engaged

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1178 on: December 21, 2023, 05:16:43 PM »
Easy win today as it should have been.  12-0 heading into the holiday break and they were 11-0 in the non-conference portion of the schedule.

The next game is on new year’s Eve at UCONN who was picked to win the BE again and is ranked just ahead of MU in the AP poll.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1179 on: December 27, 2023, 03:43:52 PM »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1180 on: December 30, 2023, 07:45:45 PM »
A bit of a big game tomorrow at pre-season BE favorite UCONN at 12P central.  UCONN is also ranked ahead of MU in the AP poll and has a NET of 11 - MU has a NET of 33.  UCONN has played a much tougher non-conference schedule than MU.  The game is on SNY and can be streamed for free by many people (I get it on the Fox app with my YouTubeTV subscription) - info from the MU release:

>STREAMING
• Sunday's game will be available to stream in-market (CT, NY, NJ, PA) to authenticated subscribers via the SNY app.
• Out-of-market fans will be able to stream SNY games at no additional cost to authenticated subscribers who have FOX as part of their television package. Users will need to sign in with their TV provider credentials at https://www.foxsports.com/ or in the FOX Sports app. The games can also be accessed at www.fox.com/sports or in the FOX Now app.

Interesting stat watch from Anonymous Eagle:
>Stat Watch: Jordan King needs one three-pointer to tie and two three-pointers to pass Courtney Weibel for the 11th most in program history.

King's high school coach was Randy Weibel - Courtney's Dad.

On another note, Emily LaChapelle saw her first action for Belmont today.  I thought she might be sitting out this year because of how late she entered the portal and an article I read earlier saying they had to decide whether to apply for a waiver for her for this season. I'm not sure if she's impacted by this ruling or not:

https://apnews.com/article/ncaa-transfer-rule-lawsuit-west-virginia-945c1c2c365eeef9d0148915a7445f6c

It does mention in that article:
>The lawsuit, filed in West Virginia’s northern district, challenges the NCAA’s authority to impose a one-year delay in the eligibility of certain athletes who transfer between schools.

I thought LaChapelle was being required to sit out a year because she entered the transfer portal after a certain deadline the NCAA had set for transfers to have immediate eligibility.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1181 on: January 09, 2024, 04:58:50 PM »
Since I'm the only one posting here for awhile I'll just add a couple quick things:

-MU drops to 23rd this week in the AP poll - kind of surprised they are still ranked after the bad loss at St. John's.  Another loss in any game except for home to UCONN and at Creighton will likely cause them to fall out of the polls.  Not sure they should be ranked with the schedule they've played.

-Starting out down 8-0 at home Saturday was far from ideal but it helped it was against the worst team in the BE so they were able to take control of that game just fine.

-Duffy became the quickest to 100 wins for the MU Women with the win over Xavier on Saturday.

-The game tonight at Seton Hall is on FS1 at 7:30P Central

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1182 on: January 09, 2024, 06:18:16 PM »
Since I'm the only one posting here for awhile I'll just add a couple quick things:

-MU drops to 23rd this week in the AP poll - kind of surprised they are still ranked after the bad loss at St. John's.  Another loss in any game except for home to UCONN and at Creighton will likely cause them to fall out of the polls.  Not sure they should be ranked with the schedule they've played.

-Starting out down 8-0 at home Saturday was far from ideal but it helped it was against the worst team in the BE so they were able to take control of that game just fine.

-Duffy became the quickest to 100 wins for the MU Women with the win over Xavier on Saturday.

-The game tonight at Seton Hall is on FS1 at 7:30P Central

I’ll try to post a little more often.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1183 on: January 09, 2024, 07:35:14 PM »
First change in the starting lineup for this season I believe - Forbes is starting in place of Hottinger.  They said on the broadcast that Hottinger is out but no idea why or for how long she'll be out.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 07:45:42 PM by Marquette Fan »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1184 on: January 09, 2024, 09:05:50 PM »
The game looks easy when shots go in.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1185 on: January 09, 2024, 09:08:29 PM »
Great second half. Liza has been unbelievable.

Curious as to what is going on with Hottinger. Nothing from the athletic department.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1186 on: January 09, 2024, 09:27:56 PM »
Great second half. Liza has been unbelievable.

Curious as to what is going on with Hottinger. Nothing from the athletic department.

The athletic department seldom  releases anything about the women’s team.  Fanta said later in the broadcast that Hottinger didn’t make the trip but it didn’t sound like she was expected to be out long term.

Reaching 1,000 career points and a career high for Liza Karlen - a great night for her.

Nice to see them pick up the road win after they had lost their last two road contests.  First time since 2019 that they’ve won at Seton Hall.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1187 on: January 09, 2024, 09:30:06 PM »
The team is staying overnight in NJ tonight as their charter flight home tonight was canceled due to bad weather in NJ.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1188 on: January 10, 2024, 08:16:50 AM »
The athletic department seldom  releases anything about the women’s team.  Fanta said later in the broadcast that Hottinger didn’t make the trip but it didn’t sound like she was expected to be out long term.

Reaching 1,000 career points and a career high for Liza Karlen - a great night for her.

Nice to see them pick up the road win after they had lost their last two road contests.  First time since 2019 that they’ve won at Seton Hall.
Not really a "road" win, since the announced attendance was 336. I guess that beats the attendance at the St Johns game-announced attendance 147.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1189 on: January 10, 2024, 08:19:20 AM »
They mentioned during the broadcast that NJ was under a state of emergency declaration due to flooding.   They also said it felt like a COVID game because.of the attendance.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1190 on: January 10, 2024, 08:36:14 AM »
They mentioned during the broadcast that NJ was under a state of emergency declaration due to flooding.   They also said it felt like a COVID game because.of the attendance.
Wonder if students have to pay to attend these games. If so, it would seem free tickets would be more profitable (just by the $$ made from concessions).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1191 on: January 10, 2024, 08:45:10 AM »
Are the students back from break?    Lots of things factor in.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1192 on: January 10, 2024, 09:01:46 AM »
Are the students back from break?    Lots of things factor in.
Yes, Seton Hall is averaging 659 in attendance this year. St Johns is worse if you take out their ability to claim attendance at the December 16 Holiday Tripleheader at MSG. Ateendance is horrible for most WBB teams

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1193 on: January 10, 2024, 11:52:39 AM »
Not really a "road" win, since the announced attendance was 336. I guess that beats the attendance at the St Johns game-announced attendance 147.

They weren’t at the Al, they pulled away in the second half after it had been close and looked much better than they had at St. John’s.  Those are good things to me - doesn’t really matter how many people are at the game to me.

This game was important in my mind to try to bounce back a bit from the St John’s game.  Xavier is by far the worst team in the BE so I wasn’t really considering beating them at home a bounce back win.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1194 on: January 10, 2024, 12:26:27 PM »
The rest of Iowa’s games are sold out (game at Purdue is now a sellout too) as people want to see Clark play - https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/bigten/2024/01/10/caitlin-clark-iowa-road-games-ticket-cost/72152732007/

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1195 on: January 10, 2024, 01:31:11 PM »
Obviously Clark is a phenemal talent but I feel like she greatly benefited by the publicity vacuum that was created by Paige bueckers getting injured last year. Would be interesting to glimpse that alternate timeline.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1196 on: January 13, 2024, 03:04:49 PM »
Rivalry game tonight with DePaul coming to town.  The game is on CBS Sports Network at 8P central for those who can’t make it to the Al and might want to watch.

I’m curious to see if Hottinger is available tonight or not.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #1197 on: January 14, 2024, 01:55:35 PM »
Always happy to see a DePaul blowout regardless of MU team.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1198 on: January 14, 2024, 02:26:51 PM »
Obviously Clark is a phenemal talent but I feel like she greatly benefited by the publicity vacuum that was created by Paige bueckers getting injured last year. Would be interesting to glimpse that alternate timeline.

I’m a HUGE fan of Bueckers game.  I remember commenting specifically on her shooting style and movements when she was freshman.  However, I disagree.  She averages 27/8/8 in back to back years.  And even still, she’s now up to 31/7.5/8, REALLY close to leading the nation in scoring AND assists while playing in a power conference and being the focus of every scouting report. 

Shes nearly single handedly made a good Iowa program into a national title contender and she’s gonna obliterate the career scoring record.  She’d be the major story even if Bueckers was healthy, she’s superhuman 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1199 on: January 14, 2024, 03:12:38 PM »
Shes nearly single handedly made a good Iowa program into a national title contender and she’s gonna obliterate the career scoring record.  She’d be the major story even if Bueckers was healthy, she’s superhuman

Yep. What a great player, and very entertaining too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback