[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 136377 times)

SaveOD238

• All American
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #1150 on: November 26, 2023, 06:52:10 AM »
Is this Marquette women's team good?  I saw that they beat a ranked Big Ten team (Illinois) and boatraced another high major (Arkansas) while remaining undefeated.  That seems like a good start, but I can't find the kind of computer rankings that I use to compare mens teams. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1151 on: November 26, 2023, 06:47:47 PM »
Is this Marquette women's team good?  I saw that they beat a ranked Big Ten team (Illinois) and boatraced another high major (Arkansas) while remaining undefeated.  That seems like a good start, but I can't find the kind of computer rankings that I use to compare mens teams.

Their non-conference schedule is pretty weak so I'm not ready yet to say they're good.  Illinois is the best team they've played so far and they were missing their best player for that game.  And Illinois fell out of the rankings after that loss.  The women's NET rankings won't start until early December.  RealTimeRPI.com has Marquette with an RPI of 45 and an SOS of 172.  Their non-conference schedule has 6 teams with RPI's over 200.  I will say I'm not sure how accurate an indicator the RealTimeRPI is since they are using the NET now but was looking for some season numbers at this point in the season.

Arkansas had to rally to beat Wisconsin who hasn't had a winning record in over 10 years and Arkansas hasn't played a super strong schedule so far either so I'm not sure how good a win that is at this point either.  But beating an SEC team is likely good for MU.  Boston College lost to UW in the 3rd place game.  UW does have a strong RPI for now at 13.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1152 on: November 27, 2023, 11:05:52 AM »
Maybe once again I have no idea what I’m taking about 😂.  MU enters the AP poll at 23 this week.  They are the last remaining BE team with no losses in non-conference play.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1153 on: November 27, 2023, 02:21:09 PM »
Maybe once again I have no idea what I’m taking about 😂.  MU enters the AP poll at 23 this week.  They are the last remaining BE team with no losses in non-conference play.

Nice! Both teams ranked is always great!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1154 on: November 29, 2023, 10:31:33 AM »

Roughly speaking, the program has been at a similar level for about 7 seasons over 2 coaches. We’ll see.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1155 on: November 29, 2023, 09:43:31 PM »
Roughly speaking, the program has been at a similar level for about 7 seasons over 2 coaches. We’ll see.

I’m still not sold on them this year with the weak non-conference schedule.

They beat up on another bad team tonight - Memphis.  Every player in uniform scored - Kaifes playing in her second game this season and frosh Vice seeing her first action at MU.

They host Creighton two weeks from tonight for their first BE game.  Creighton was picked to finish just above MU in the BE.  They started off the season ranked but fell out of the polls when they lost at home to UW-Green Bay.  I think this should be an interesting contest.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1156 on: November 29, 2023, 09:54:16 PM »
I see they annihilated Memphis fwiw. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1157 on: December 04, 2023, 09:39:15 PM »
Best start ever at 8-0, up to 19 in this week’s AP poll.  UCONN at 17 and Creighton at 22 are the other ranked BE teams.

Kieger’s PSU team is 25th this week in the AP poll - their first national ranking in a long time.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1158 on: December 05, 2023, 08:53:57 AM »
Nice to see them ranked!

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #1159 on: December 09, 2023, 07:45:00 PM »
4 seed in bracketology? Impressive.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1160 on: December 09, 2023, 08:29:19 PM »
4 seed in bracketology? Impressive.

And that would mean hosting the 1st and 2nd rounds which they've never done.  But I'm not sure they will end up that high - we will see.  Important first two league games - home to Creighton this Wed 12/13 and at UCONN on New Year's Eve - those are the two other ranked teams in the BE now and the teams picked to finish ahead of them in the preseason conference poll.  They are both ahead of Marquette in the NET for now also.

Hopefully MU takes care of business at Illinois State tomorrow.

Nice article on Kenzie Hare from Ben Steele recently - https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2023/12/01/marquette-golden-eagles-guard-kenzie-hare-is-elite-3-point-shooter/71753931007/

I've seen Lisa Stone at a few MU games last season and this season - there's a bit of a connection with Hare who originally committed to Stone at SLU but then reopened her recruitment when SLU fired Stone and that's when MU signed her.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1161 on: December 10, 2023, 08:53:07 AM »
And that would mean hosting the 1st and 2nd rounds which they've never done.  But I'm not sure they will end up that high - we will see.  Important first two league games - home to Creighton this Wed 12/13 and at UCONN on New Year's Eve - those are the two other ranked teams in the BE now and the teams picked to finish ahead of them in the preseason conference poll.  They are both ahead of Marquette in the NET for now also.

Hopefully MU takes care of business at Illinois State tomorrow.

Nice article on Kenzie Hare from Ben Steele recently - https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2023/12/01/marquette-golden-eagles-guard-kenzie-hare-is-elite-3-point-shooter/71753931007/

I've seen Lisa Stone at a few MU games last season and this season - there's a bit of a connection with Hare who originally committed to Stone at SLU but then reopened her recruitment when SLU fired Stone and that's when MU signed her.

Shades of our mens team ranking vs. finish last year? Let's hope so.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1162 on: December 11, 2023, 05:24:30 PM »
Quote from: Scoop Snoop ink=topic=59110.msg1596505#msg1596505 date=1702219987
Shades of our mens team ranking vs. finish last year? Let's hope so.

Not quite as extreme though - can't fault any coach for picking MU to finish 3rd behind UCONN and Creighton this season.

Wednesday night's BE opener is a big one with Creighton ranked right below MU in the AP poll and picked to finish 2nd in the BE.  They are going to have to play a lot better than they did at Illinois State yesterday to win this one - MU went down 11-0 to start that game and frankly was quite lucky to pull out the W in the end.  Their NET took a drop now also as they are 27th with a previous ranking of 21.  Creighton is 15th and UCONN 17th in the NET.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1163 on: December 13, 2023, 10:12:04 PM »
Great game by the ladies.  10-0. Not too shabby.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 10:22:11 PM by WhiteTrash »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1164 on: December 13, 2023, 10:25:55 PM »
Great win, wish I could have watched it. Big East needs to get out of that FloSports deal ASAP.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1165 on: December 13, 2023, 10:44:18 PM »
Great win, wish I could have watched it. Big East needs to get out of that FloSports deal ASAP.

I don't see that happening unfortunately.  I wasn't going to pay for a FloSports subscription initially but they started that the season fans weren't allowed at games so I spent the money for the subscription.  And I've renewed it since then - comes up again in January and I'll probably end up renewing as I just don't want to miss out on the road games.

They wanted to give me a heart attack tonight I think :).  I was quite excited when they went up 30-19 in the second quarter but then they had trouble scoring and it ended up tied at the half.

Karlen had a monster game of course leading MU with 25 points and adding 12 rebounds.  And the seniors all came up big down the stretch - King, Karlen and Nkumu combined for 18 of MU's 22 points in the 4th quarter.  MU only had 8 turnovers which was nice to see with some high TO games they've had - Creighton also only had 8 to's but MU was way ahead on assists with 21 assists to their 10.  A little contrasting styles tonight with Creighton shooting 8-30 from the outside and MU going 4 of 7 from the outside and 3 of those makes were in the first quarter.  Those 7 three attempts were a season low for MU.

Creighton was 16 and MU 26 in the NET before this game.  Creighton blew out MU in both games last year so nice to get this win.  They move to a program best 10-0 on the season.

Two very winnable home non-conference games left - Sun vs. Appalachian State and Thu at noon for a scream game vs. Bucknell with field trip kids.  If they take care of business as they should, they would be 12-0 heading into their 2nd BE game which is at pre-season BE favorite UCONN.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1166 on: December 14, 2023, 09:19:05 AM »
I don't see that happening unfortunately.  I wasn't going to pay for a FloSports subscription initially but they started that the season fans weren't allowed at games so I spent the money for the subscription.  And I've renewed it since then - comes up again in January and I'll probably end up renewing as I just don't want to miss out on the road games.

They wanted to give me a heart attack tonight I think :).  I was quite excited when they went up 30-19 in the second quarter but then they had trouble scoring and it ended up tied at the half.

Karlen had a monster game of course leading MU with 25 points and adding 12 rebounds.  And the seniors all came up big down the stretch - King, Karlen and Nkumu combined for 18 of MU's 22 points in the 4th quarter.  MU only had 8 turnovers which was nice to see with some high TO games they've had - Creighton also only had 8 to's but MU was way ahead on assists with 21 assists to their 10.  A little contrasting styles tonight with Creighton shooting 8-30 from the outside and MU going 4 of 7 from the outside and 3 of those makes were in the first quarter.  Those 7 three attempts were a season low for MU.

Creighton was 16 and MU 26 in the NET before this game.  Creighton blew out MU in both games last year so nice to get this win.  They move to a program best 10-0 on the season.

Two very winnable home non-conference games left - Sun vs. Appalachian State and Thu at noon for a scream game vs. Bucknell with field trip kids.  If they take care of business as they should, they would be 12-0 heading into their 2nd BE game which is at pre-season BE favorite UCONN.

FloSports has been the $ option for Big East Olympic Sports annually. Marquette, the other schools, the league etc…are aware of its lack of popularity and its lack of accessibility annually. I was recently told by people involved in the process that the league is finally seeking alternatives to FloSports for future deals instead of the auto renewal with FloSports.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1167 on: December 14, 2023, 10:36:28 AM »

FloSports has been the $ option for Big East Olympic Sports annually. Marquette, the other schools, the league etc…are aware of its lack of popularity and its lack of accessibility annually. I was recently told by people involved in the process that the league is finally seeking alternatives to FloSports for future deals instead of the auto renewal with FloSports.

That’s good to hear.  I like the leagues that use espn+ as I already have a subscription to that.  I’ve gotten to watch their two road games this season with that subscription.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1168 on: December 14, 2023, 10:47:56 AM »
That’s good to hear.  I like the leagues that use espn+ as I already have a subscription to that.  I’ve gotten to watch their two road games this season with that subscription.

Yep. Wait and see approach. But it is an encouraging news.

ESPN plus is a must have for me. So many sports, leagues, teams, games, etc….they also carry local and regional produced broadcasts. For example of a game is on a Ballys Sports Regional, and you don’t get Ballys as many don’t, you can find some or even all of those games on ESPN plus in addition to that depending on the team and sport.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1169 on: December 17, 2023, 07:30:05 AM »
Marquette's NET is 23 this morning but is sure to take a hit after thier next two games - Appalachian State is 207 and Bucknell 296.  These are games where they really need to take care of business and hopefully they do.  Their first game after a short break for Christmas is at UCONN on New Year's Eve.  While UCONN has been hampered by a lot of injuries and isn't as strong as most years, they are still a really good team.  They blew out Louisville yesterday who is ranked one spot ahead of MU in the AP poll right now.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1170 on: December 17, 2023, 07:56:32 PM »
Game today was closer than it should have been.  A number of great scoring performances but the thing that really  sticks out to me is 21 rebounds by Frannie Hottinger. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1171 on: December 18, 2023, 01:28:31 AM »
Marquette's NET is 23 this morning but is sure to take a hit after thier next two games - Appalachian State is 207 and Bucknell 296.  These are games where they really need to take care of business and hopefully they do.  Their first game after a short break for Christmas is at UCONN on New Year's Eve.  While UCONN has been hampered by a lot of injuries and isn't as strong as most years, they are still a really good team.  They blew out Louisville yesterday who is ranked one spot ahead of MU in the AP poll right now.

That's not how NET works. As long as you beat your cupcake by the amount you should, your NET won't go down and will improve if you plaster them.  RPI was the metric that would go down simply by playing a bad team and it's no longer used in basketball.

That being said,  only beating App State by 8 at home is probably going to negatively impact their NET
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1172 on: December 18, 2023, 08:34:28 PM »
That's not how NET works. As long as you beat your cupcake by the amount you should, your NET won't go down and will improve if you plaster them.  RPI was the metric that would go down simply by playing a bad team and it's no longer used in basketball.

That being said,  only beating App State by 8 at home is probably going to negatively impact their NET

Thanks for correcting my bad information.

Some miscellaneous stuff:

-NET goes from 23 to 30 after yesterday's game
-They move up one spot in the AP poll to 18th
-Liza Karlen was named BE POW for the 2nd time this season
-Aizhanique Mayo who left MU right before the 22-23 season started and transferred to Iona (doesn't look like she was eligible to play there last season though) followed the coach to Xavier and recently became eligible to play for XU after the court injunction
-MU was named ESPN's women's team of the week - https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39138062/womens-ncaa-basketball-power-rankings-ucla-ohio-state-clash

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1173 on: December 20, 2023, 07:41:14 AM »
A national honor for Liza Karlen - AP national player of the week

https://x.com/ap_top25/status/1737205662067962224?s=12

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #1174 on: December 20, 2023, 01:43:12 PM »
Thanks for posting these nuggets Marquette Fan. Always read them with great interest.

Congratulations to LK.

feedback