[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 136314 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #1126 on: August 31, 2023, 08:54:09 AM »
https://gopsusports.com/news/2023/8/30/womens-basketball-natisha-hiedeman-promoted-to-womens-basketball-assistant-coach.aspx
Great news for Natisha. I hope it not a one year job. I'd guess Carolyn Kieger's 41-73 record at PSU will have her on the hot seat. Of course maybe at PSU, 'wins no matta'.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1127 on: September 04, 2023, 07:52:22 AM »
Great news for Natisha. I hope it not a one year job. I'd guess Carolyn Kieger's 41-73 record at PSU will have her on the hot seat. Of course maybe at PSU, 'wins no matta'.

Her predecessor at Penn State Coquese Washington had much more success during her PSU tenure than Kieger has had there.  They fired Washington after the program didn't make the NCAA tournament in her last 5 seasons there.  I'd think that Kieger has to be on the hot seast for sure this year.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1128 on: September 04, 2023, 07:59:27 AM »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1129 on: September 06, 2023, 03:01:13 PM »
https://gomarquette.com/news/2023/9/5/womens-basketball-darius-barksdale-named-director-of-video-player-development

New MUWBB staffer.

(Boats and tides and all. I want my corners. It's all in the game.)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1130 on: September 22, 2023, 05:14:27 PM »
Some day they’ll announce the BE women’s schedule…

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1132 on: September 30, 2023, 09:13:26 PM »
The women's team plays Nova at The Al on NMD. Women's game at 2 p.m., men's game at 5.

Is this fairly typical?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1133 on: October 02, 2023, 09:56:32 PM »
The women's team plays Nova at The Al on NMD. Women's game at 2 p.m., men's game at 5.

Is this fairly typical?

I think last year the men and women played on the same day with the men early afternoon and women about 5P.  There's not a lot of cross over between women's and men's bball fans at MU though from what I've seen so I'm not sure many will go to both games.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1134 on: October 03, 2023, 06:31:25 AM »
I think last year the men and women played on the same day with the men early afternoon and women about 5P.  There's not a lot of cross over between women's and men's bball fans at MU though from what I've seen so I'm not sure many will go to both games.

Thanks for the info.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1135 on: October 03, 2023, 08:05:25 AM »

I was recently told by someone involved, that a new streaming situation is a “Strategic Priority” moving forward.

It would help if more fans had easier access to games. In many other leagues, fans have easier access to many of their school’s Women’s and Men’s Olympic Sports. Many, not all provide this via ESPN plus.

Not only do many MU fans around the country not have FloSports, many in Milwaukee/Chicago don’t as well.

When one has access to 100% of a successful sport’s games, it helps and it makes a difference with interest and attendance. Many other leagues have much higher supported Olympics sports programs.

For now, and for a while, FloSports has been the best $ option and it provides a resource for Olympic Sports streaming on campus. So they keep renewing that deal.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 08:45:18 AM by shoothoops »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1136 on: October 03, 2023, 08:10:29 PM »
I was recently told by someone involved, that a new streaming situation is a “Strategic Priority” moving forward.

It would help if more fans had easier access to games. In many other leagues, fans have easier access to many of their school’s Women’s and Men’s Olympic Sports. Many, not all provide this via ESPN plus.

Not only do many MU fans around the country not have FloSports, many in Milwaukee/Chicago don’t as well.

When one has access to 100% of a successful sport’s games, it helps and it makes a difference with interest and attendance. Many other leagues have much higher supported Olympics sports programs.

For now, and for a while, FloSports has been the best $ option and it provides a resource for Olympic Sports streaming on campus. So they keep renewing that deal.

I bought a FloSports subscription the Covid year when fans couldn't attend games.  And I've renewed it every year since then.  But I'm not sure if I'll renew it again this year or not.  I already pay for so many other streaming options and not sure I want to spend the money on this again. 

And yeah I've been jealous of the Horizon league whose women's games are on ESPN+ - I already have a subscription to that service.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1137 on: October 23, 2023, 12:18:23 PM »
Georgetown Women's Basketball Coach Tasha Butts passed away adter a lomg battle with Breast Cancer. She waa only 41 years old. Very sad.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/10/23/tasha-butts-georgetown-basketball-coach-dies/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1138 on: October 31, 2023, 08:07:08 PM »
Amani Jenkins committed to MUWBB this past weekend.

2025 6’2 physical back to the basket post player that can finish and rebound inside. She can put it on the floor, create space, and step out and face up, shoot it.

15 & 9 at Des Moines North (49% FG) last year. She is now at Johnston High School. (5A State Champs and runner up past two seasons)

Pure Prep AAU U17 this past Summer. They won their division at Boo Williams and Queen of the Court. E40 League.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 08:58:26 AM by shoothoops »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1139 on: November 02, 2023, 09:03:47 PM »
The Journal-Sentinel preview said sophomore Charia Smith got hurt in the spring and won’t play this year.

I was kind of surprised they got picked to finish 3rd in the BE this year.  A lot to replace in the post with the graduation of Chloe Marotta.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1140 on: November 06, 2023, 12:45:06 PM »
Checking out a number of new faces today.  Everyone in uniform has gotten in the game before halftime.

I already read sophomore Charia Smith is out for the year so no surprise she’s not in uniform.  No idea why Claire Kaifes and frosh Halle Vice aren’t in uniform though.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1141 on: November 06, 2023, 03:59:12 PM »
Checking out a number of new faces today.  Everyone in uniform has gotten in the game before halftime.

I already read sophomore Charia Smith is out for the year so no surprise she’s not in uniform.  No idea why Claire Kaifes and frosh Halle Vice aren’t in uniform though.

From MJS: The Golden Eagles were without Claire Kaifes (groin) and Halle Vice (hand). Forward Charia Smith is already out for the season with a knee injury.

"We got a little bit to go with them," Duffy said. "They're working hard to get back. Obviously the sooner the better that we can get them that'll add great depth to our team right now."

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1142 on: November 11, 2023, 07:29:06 PM »
Marquette women beat Illinois 71-67.  Illini were 23rd in the nation entering the game
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1143 on: November 12, 2023, 08:10:14 AM »
Marquette women beat Illinois 71-67.  Illini were 23rd in the nation entering the game

It was nice to pick up this win as Illinois is one of their toughest non-conference opponents. It was definitely a team effort with 4 of the 5 starters in double figures.  Mackenzie Hare was off from 3 point land but did contribute a team high 7 assists.  Too many turnovers for my liking though - 21 total with 6 from Karlen and 4 each from King and Nkumu.  King shooting well from the line was a big key and good that they got the ball in her hand late as she converted on 3 of 4 FT's late.

Frosh Skylar Forbes had a sweet block and I think she showed definite promise but only got about 8 minutes of PT.  There were only 3 players off the bench and most of the PT went to the starters who all played 34-36 minutes.

Frosh Halle Vice is wearing a brace on her wrist and is out with a reported hand injury and Senior Claire Kaifes is still out with a groin injury.  No idea when either might be able to play again.

Now they do something they didn't do last season and go on the road to face IUPUI on Wednesday.  They played no true road contests as part of their non-conference schedule last season which I found very unusual.  They will also play at Illinois State for one other road conference during non-conference play.  And unusual this year is that they aren't playing any of the state schools. They haven't played Wisconsin in many years (although there's a chance they meet up in their tournament) and playing UWGB has been sporadic over the last 10 years or so but they've regularly played UWM who isn't on the schedule this season. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1144 on: November 12, 2023, 08:15:32 AM »
Info on the 3 recruits Marquette signed for next year:

https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2023/11/10/23955322/marquette-golden-eagles-womens-basketball-recruiting-signing-petersen-wilson-wells

There's a nice scholarship chart at the bottom of that article. Kaifes, Karlen and Nkumu are able to play next year with an extra Covid year - haven't heard yet if any of them intend to do that.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1145 on: November 12, 2023, 08:27:29 AM »
It was nice to pick up this win as Illinois is one of their toughest non-conference opponents. It was definitely a team effort with 4 of the 5 starters in double figures.  Mackenzie Hare was off from 3 point land but did contribute a team high 7 assists.  Too many turnovers for my liking though - 21 total with 6 from Karlen and 4 each from King and Nkumu.  King shooting well from the line was a big key and good that they got the ball in her hand late as she converted on 3 of 4 FT's late.

Frosh Skylar Forbes had a sweet block and I think she showed definite promise but only got about 8 minutes of PT.  There were only 3 players off the bench and most of the PT went to the starters who all played 34-36 minutes.

Frosh Halle Vice is wearing a brace on her wrist and is out with a reported hand injury and Senior Claire Kaifes is still out with a groin injury.  No idea when either might be able to play again.

Now they do something they didn't do last season and go on the road to face IUPUI on Wednesday.  They played no true road contests as part of their non-conference schedule last season which I found very unusual.  They will also play at Illinois State for one other road conference during non-conference play.  And unusual this year is that they aren't playing any of the state schools. They haven't played Wisconsin in many years (although there's a chance they meet up in their tournament) and playing UWGB has been sporadic over the last 10 years or so but they've regularly played UWM who isn't on the schedule this season.

Thanks for the updates!
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1146 on: November 15, 2023, 10:09:45 AM »
Tonight’s road game is on ESPN+ - good for those like me who have a subscription for that.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1147 on: November 18, 2023, 07:52:26 AM »
Some random notes:

I saw a few familiar faces on TV the other night when I watched some of the Penn State-St. John's game.  Good to see Hiedeman on the bench as an assistant coach working for her college coach Kieger.  And former Marquette player Taylor Valladay is playing for her 3rd school now finishing up at PSU - she played at Virginia after first leaving Marquette.  PSU beat SJU and is off to a 4-0 start which is good for Kieger in what is surely a critical season for her.  But I'm not sure how tough their schedule has been so far. 

Another interesting conference game that night was UW Green Bay at Creighton.  I flipped over to a bit of that and UW Green Bay upset Creighton.  Creighton is ranked now but I'm guessing this loss will mean they drop out of the pools this upcoming week.  Creighton was also picked 2nd in the BE this year and is MU's first BE opponent on 12/13. 

For the tournament they are in next week, I'm hoping Marquette and Wisconsin can win their first games and face each other in the 2nd round.  The last time these two teams played each other was December 4, 2017.

Nice blowout win this week at IUPUI as it should have been.  And with the blowout they were able to use their bench more.

And on another note, Illinois hosted MU's next opponent Saint Peter's on Wednesday and beat them 103-33.  I'm expecting an MU blowout tomorrow.  Interested to see when Kaifes and Vice are able to play but guessing it may not be tomorrow.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1148 on: November 18, 2023, 08:51:24 AM »
Think there were any letter writers on the Iowa team after this game?
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/401582218

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1149 on: November 18, 2023, 09:11:24 AM »
Kansas State's next opponent after their big upset of Iowa is Wisconsin who they host tomorrow.