[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 136424 times)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #1000 on: February 22, 2023, 12:52:58 PM »
Yep. Jordan will be back for a 5th season and she will be getting her Masters.

If you don’t like 8/9 seeds which I understand, keep winning and get a better seed than 8/9.

Except for years where they deserved a better seed and got screwed with an 8/9.  But you’re right about the winning - that part is in their control.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1001 on: February 25, 2023, 09:56:33 AM »
BE seeding info - MU can finish anywhere from 4-6 at this point: https://www.bigeast.com/news/2023/2/25/womens-basketball-bigeastwbb-minute-tournament-seeding-takes-shape.aspx

If they win today (which they better win at 0-18 Xavier) they will be the 5 seed at the worst.  St. John's has a very winnable game left at Providence.  I'm pretty sure they'll win a tiebreaker over MU if those two teams tie as they have a win over Creighton and we got swept by Creighton.  After head t head, I believe they go to games over the top teams in the standings.  And both these teams beat UCONN who is the top team in the standings for now.  MU would get the 4 seed if they win today and Monday versus DePaul and Providence beats St. John's on Monday.

And after the loss to Creighton, Marquette is back to the last 4 in for the ESPN bracketology - https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/30423107/ncaa-women-bracketology-2023-women-college-basketball-projections

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1002 on: February 25, 2023, 10:09:45 AM »
How does UCONN get to host the BET for women. Gives them an unnecessary advantage.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1003 on: February 25, 2023, 10:11:32 AM »
How does UCONN get to host the BET for women. Gives them an unnecessary advantage.

They bid for it - no one else is going to draw like they will.  St. John’s just won at UCONN and they’re still pretty beat up injury wise - someone could very well beat them in the BET this year.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1004 on: February 25, 2023, 10:32:43 AM »

Because every BET game will be sold out in Connecticut.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1005 on: February 25, 2023, 10:34:45 AM »
Because every BET game will be sold out in Connecticut.

Who wants to tell him how the NCAAT is set up?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1006 on: February 25, 2023, 04:50:33 PM »
Marquette wins today 58-46 - King had 19, Karlen 15 and Marotta 12.  They had 22 turnovers which isn't great of course but the important thing for today was picking up the win.

They move to 19-9 overall and 12-7 in the BE with one regular season game to go - Mon vs. DePaul for senior day.  They have clinched a bye in the first round of the BET and will either be the 4 or 5 seed in the BET.  St. John's is also 12-7 heading into their game at Providence on Monday.  Marquette can only get the 4 seed if they beat DePaul and St. John's loses to Providence.  Marquette and St. John's will face each other Sat 3/4 in the BET at 1:30P central - it's just a question now of which team will be the 4 seed and which will be the 5 seed.

UCONN escaped at DePaul 72-69 today and has clinched at least a share of the BE regular season title.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say they'll finish in sole posession of first place in the BE as they host 0-19 Xavier Monday night - Villanova will most likely finish 2nd.  I think the 1, 2, 4 and 5 are the only seeds left to be officially decided.  I think all of this is locked in:

3.  Creighton
6.  Seton Hall
7.  DePaul (wonder when the last time is they've played on the first day of the BET)
8.  Butler
9.  Georgetown
10. Providence
11. Xavier

Seeds 3 and 8-11 were already decided before today's action.

Edited to add - I forgot with UCONN's sweep of Villanova they have already clinched the 1 seed and that makes Villanova the 2 seed.  So the only thing left to be decided for the BET with Monday's games is which seed Marquette and St. John's get - we know they will each be the 4 or 5. 

Here is the BET schedule - times are EST:

2023 BIG EAST Women’s Basketball Tournament
presented by JEEP
Mohegan Sun Arena – Uncasville, Conn.
March 3 – First Round
Game 1: 8 seed Butler vs. 9 seed Georgetown, 11 a.m. (SNY)
Game 2: 7 seed DePaul vs. 10 seed Providence, 1:30 p.m. (SNY)
Game 3: 6 seed Seton Hall vs. 11 seed Xavier, 4 p.m. (SNY)
March 4 – Quarterfinals
Game 4: Game 1 winner vs. 1 seed UConn, Noon (FS1)
Game 5: 4 seed vs. 5 seed, 2:30 p.m. (FS2) - - Marquette, St. John’s will play, seeding TBD
Game 6: Game 2 winner vs. 2 seed Villanova, 7 p.m. (FS2)
Game 7: Game 3 winner vs. 3 seed Creighton, 9:30 p.m. (FS2)
March 5 – Semifinals
Game 8: Game 4 winner vs. Game 5 winner, 3 p.m. (FS1)
Game 9: Game 6 winner vs. Game 7 winner, 5:30 p.m. (FS1)
March 6 - Final
Game 10: Game 8 winner vs Game 9 winner, 7 p.m. (FS1)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 07:36:17 AM by Marquette Fan »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1007 on: February 28, 2023, 07:44:03 AM »
DePaul can be a good recipe at times for a good team that sometimes has trouble scoring the basketball. 20-9 (13-7)

MUWBB put up 98 points in a 98-80 win. A nice national tv game showing. Karlen had 26 and 14, Marotta 22, and the Freshmen combined for 30.

For perspective, MUWBB had not scored 70 points in a game, in their previous 10 games.

Saturday 2:30pm Eastern as the 5 seed bs St. John’s the 4 seed. Some bracketologists have MUWBB ahead of St. John’s as among the final teams in the NCAA Women’s tourney. This is in part due to things like schedule strength, etc…Others have it reversed. Prior to the DePaul game I had seen MUWBB most often as a 9 seed, not one of the last 4 in the tourney.

A win Saturday, and MUWBB plays the winner of Connecticut and Butler/Georgetown.

https://twitter.com/bigeastwbb/status/1630415879375552513?s=46&t=AIicC3tYytTEhpYJfcG0xw

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1008 on: March 01, 2023, 07:57:02 PM »
DePaul can be a good recipe at times for a good team that sometimes has trouble scoring the basketball. 20-9 (13-7)

MUWBB put up 98 points in a 98-80 win. A nice national tv game showing. Karlen had 26 and 14, Marotta 22, and the Freshmen combined for 30.

For perspective, MUWBB had not scored 70 points in a game, in their previous 10 games.

Saturday 2:30pm Eastern as the 5 seed bs St. John’s the 4 seed. Some bracketologists have MUWBB ahead of St. John’s as among the final teams in the NCAA Women’s tourney. This is in part due to things like schedule strength, etc…Others have it reversed. Prior to the DePaul game I had seen MUWBB most often as a 9 seed, not one of the last 4 in the tourney.

A win Saturday, and MUWBB plays the winner of Connecticut and Butler/Georgetown.

https://twitter.com/bigeastwbb/status/1630415879375552513?s=46&t=AIicC3tYytTEhpYJfcG0xw

Even though DePaul doesn't like to play defense, it was still a shock to see MU score 98 points.  Chloe came out on fire early and I was thankful they were in control of that game so she could be pulled late to get the Standing O she deserved.  Karlen had her best game since returning from injury which is a good sign as they head to the post-season.  I told my friend before the game that we needed Hare to hit some 3's and it was nice to see her do so :).  They needed a NET boost after the hit they took playing an awful Xavier team over the weekend - their NET is at 40 right now.

The ESPN bracketology has MU and St. John's in the last 4 in.  I think beating St. John's on Saturday would go a long way towards helping their NCAA Tourney chances.  I just don't know if they'll take 5 teams from the BE and am afraid they'd take St. John's over MU if SJU beats MU in the BET. 

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #1009 on: March 01, 2023, 08:12:55 PM »
Probably the first WBB game I watched start to finish. Marquette was excellent and some of the shots DePaul was making were wows. I like the entire starting five, they really play well together.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1010 on: March 02, 2023, 09:56:14 AM »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1011 on: March 02, 2023, 09:59:07 AM »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1013 on: March 03, 2023, 10:02:31 AM »
Marotta's MU career has really been a slow burn, especially since she didn't play her SR year of HS, and then she made a HUGE jump this year, amazing for her.  18 and 9 to end the season starting with the UCONN game where she was an absolute bucket down the stretch.  What an end to the career of a member of MUBB royalty.

Also, 4 time All-BE Academic Team, likely going to get a 5th this year while snagging an MBA.  Remarkable young woman.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1014 on: March 03, 2023, 10:46:28 AM »
The Minnesota job is open and I’ve already heard Duffy’s name as a candidate.  That doesn’t surprise me with her coaching experience in the Midwest area, her success at MU and she also has big10 coaching experience as an assistant at Michigan.  And she played for the Minnesota Lynx.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1015 on: March 03, 2023, 11:33:11 AM »
The Minnesota job is open and I’ve already heard Duffy’s name as a candidate.  That doesn’t surprise me with her coaching experience in the Midwest area, her success at MU and she also has big10 coaching experience as an assistant at Michigan.  And she played for the Minnesota Lynx.

Historically, Minnesota hasn’t had a lot of Women’s basketball success. Whalen was hired without coaching experience. She makes less money than Duffy. And Minnesota has to pay her 3 more years.

Prior to that, multiple coaches used Minnesota as a stepping stone for Maryland and Texas Tech.

I would think Duffy could be a little more selective as long as she has continued success.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1016 on: March 03, 2023, 07:04:30 PM »
Historically, Minnesota hasn’t had a lot of Women’s basketball success. Whalen was hired without coaching experience. She makes less money than Duffy. And Minnesota has to pay her 3 more years.

Prior to that, multiple coaches used Minnesota as a stepping stone for Maryland and Texas Tech.

I would think Duffy could be a little more selective as long as she has continued success.

They had a pretty strong run when Janel McCarville and Whalen were there.  But yes money may be an issue.  But I'm expecting plenty of other P5 schools to be interested in Duffy even if Minnesota doesn't make a strong run at her.

According to the Athletic, Illinois signed Shauna Green to a 6 year contract last year with a base salary of 800K and she got things turned around pretty quickly.  Whalen made $547K this year.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1017 on: March 03, 2023, 07:21:54 PM »
Marotta's MU career has really been a slow burn, especially since she didn't play her SR year of HS, and then she made a HUGE jump this year, amazing for her.  18 and 9 to end the season starting with the UCONN game where she was an absolute bucket down the stretch.  What an end to the career of a member of MUBB royalty.

Also, 4 time All-BE Academic Team, likely going to get a 5th this year while snagging an MBA.  Remarkable young woman.

Chloe has been a great joy to watch at MU - I didn't realize that former MU player Corey Wolf (Bronson) was her coach in high school until I read the article Ben Steele wrote.  I knew Wolf was a high school coach but last I knew she was at Nicolet and didn't realize she had been coaching at Homestead for awhile.  This article in the JS about Marotta was nice - https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2023/02/27/chloe-marotta-played-at-marquette-like-father-marc-and-brother-cam/69941902007/

And an article from the MU Tribune about Chloe's Rebounds for Research Initiative - https://marquettewire.org/4095000/sports/chloe-marotta-honoring-dads-legacy-with-rebounds-for-research-nil-initiative/

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1018 on: March 03, 2023, 07:43:25 PM »
Article on Liza Karlen and her injury that caused her to miss quite a bit of time during conference play - https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2023/03/03/marquettes-liza-karlen-suffered-broken-jaw-this-season/69966698007/

Her game against DePaul was very encouraging - they will need her as they try to seal up an NCAA Tourney bid and move into the postseason.   

Speaking of the DePaul game, Clark and Myles didn't play and Hare and Williams were the only players to see action off the bench.  Kaifes is out for the rest of the season after an emergency appendectomy.  And Okusun wasn't on the bench for some games and is now back on the bench in sweats. Frosh Charia Smith is the only other active player on the roster but she hasn't played much this season.

They face St. John's on Sat at 1:30P central time to open up Big East Tourney play.  The game will be on FS2

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1019 on: March 04, 2023, 04:04:20 PM »
Survive and advance - MU beats St. John’s 57-47 and will face number 1 seed UCONN tomorrow at 2P central on FS1.  MU will make the NCAA Tournament no matter what at this point in my opinion.  They may have gone even with a loss today but a win over fellow bubble team St. John’s likely helped their cause.  I’m not sure if they’ll give bids to 5 BE teams but that would be St. John’s concern now and not MU’s.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1020 on: March 04, 2023, 05:01:49 PM »
Survive and advance - MU beats St. John’s 57-47 and will face number 1 seed UCONN tomorrow at 2P central on FS1.  MU will make the NCAA Tournament no matter what at this point in my opinion.  They may have gone even with a loss today but a win over fellow bubble team St. John’s likely helped their cause.  I’m not sure if they’ll give bids to 5 BE teams but that would be St. John’s concern now and not MU’s.

Yep, they have done enough yo be in the NCAA Tourney.  Karlen with 16, adding a needed 3rd scorer.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #1021 on: March 04, 2023, 07:55:33 PM »
Villanova - DePaul with a terrific game. Morrow of DePaul really turned it on in second half. Tied less than a minute to go.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1022 on: March 04, 2023, 08:35:03 PM »
Kim Mulkey losing makes for a good day. She’s the worst.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1023 on: March 04, 2023, 10:32:17 PM »
Villanova - DePaul with a terrific game. Morrow of DePaul really turned it on in second half. Tied less than a minute to go.

And Creighton-Seton Hall is heading to overtime.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1024 on: March 05, 2023, 12:21:32 AM »
Marquette moves to a last 4 bye and St. John’s is a last 4 in team in Charlie crème’s latest bracketology (updated at 1A eastern on sun 3/5)