[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 136366 times)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #525 on: March 25, 2021, 08:35:32 PM »
UW to announce their new coach tomorrow - a former UCONN assistant who is now the head coach at Boston University - Maria Moseley :

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/basketball/women/source-new-badgers-womens-basketball-coach-comes-from-geno-auriemma-coaching-tree/article_f1c0e0b0-4da9-5bdc-a25f-98a581f3fbbe.html

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #526 on: March 25, 2021, 09:23:49 PM »
I'll continue posting a lot here today :).

I got a team poster in the mail today and another picture printed in color on a piece of paper of the team in a huddle and Coach Duffy saying Thanks for your support all year.  I assume this went out to Season Ticket holders.  I wasn't expecting this and thought it was a nice touch.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #527 on: March 27, 2021, 01:09:30 PM »
UCONN is terrifying.  Caitlin Clark was the hottest player in the tourney and they’ve largely neutralize her.  Bueckers is heading towards a triple double and she’s not even the 2nd leading scorer for UCONN right now

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #528 on: March 27, 2021, 01:53:46 PM »
UCONN is terrifying.  Caitlin Clark was the hottest player in the tourney and they’ve largely neutralize her.  Bueckers is heading towards a triple double and she’s not even the 2nd leading scorer for UCONN right now

And they are a young team - only going to reload and be much better next season with more highly rated recruits coming in.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #529 on: March 27, 2021, 04:24:09 PM »
And they are a young team - only going to reload and be much better next season with more highly rated recruits coming in.

Yep, no seniors, two of the 4 leading scorers are freshmen.  Their incoming class is stacked, and you’re gonna have Ducharme, who is a top 5 recruit, coming off the bench.  Cause even if you run 3 guards, Azzi Fudd is supposed to be an even higher touted recruit than Bueckers.  The backcourt of Bueckers and Fudd for the next 3 years is just obscene.  And Williams will start at the 2 next year you’d assume.  Embarrassment of riches for a team that’s the odds on favorite to win it all in the next week

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #530 on: March 27, 2021, 11:05:11 PM »
Aari McDonald, is such a dynamic fun player, 31, 5, 2, six 3's, does it at both ends of the floor. First ever Elite 8 for Arizona. Big time baller.

https://twitter.com/ncaawbb/status/1375996295366631428?s=19

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #531 on: March 28, 2021, 07:07:35 AM »
Aari McDonald, is such a dynamic fun player, 31, 5, 2, six 3's, does it at both ends of the floor. First ever Elite 8 for Arizona. Big time baller.

I've been so impressed with coach Adia Barnes at Arizona - she's done a great job at her alma mater.  That game and the Indiana-NC State game were fun ones to watch last night.  Indiana as a 4 seed knocked off 1 seed NC State to make their first ever Elite 8 also.  And this means there will be at least one team make the F4 for the first time ever then.  That also assures at least there won't be all 1 seeds at the F4.

Buzz Williams sighting on TV last night - they showed him in the stands supporting Texas A&M and talked about the good relationship he has with A&M Coach Gary Blair.  Texas A&M had barely escaped their first two tourney games but Arizona made sure this one wasn't close.

Looking forward to watching a lot of Men's and Women's Basketball today.  Although most of the Women's games look to have strong blowout potential - the 2 Louisville and 6 Oregon match-up looks to have the best potential to be close.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #532 on: March 28, 2021, 08:20:10 AM »
I've been so impressed with coach Adia Barnes at Arizona - she's done a great job at her alma mater.  That game and the Indiana-NC State game were fun ones to watch last night.  Indiana as a 4 seed knocked off 1 seed NC State to make their first ever Elite 8 also.  And this means there will be at least one team make the F4 for the first time ever then.  That also assures at least there won't be all 1 seeds at the F4.

Buzz Williams sighting on TV last night - they showed him in the stands supporting Texas A&M and talked about the good relationship he has with A&M Coach Gary Blair.  Texas A&M had barely escaped their first two tourney games but Arizona made sure this one wasn't close.

Looking forward to watching a lot of Men's and Women's Basketball today.  Although most of the Women's games look to have strong blowout potential - the 2 Louisville and 6 Oregon match-up looks to have the best potential to be close.

Barnes has done really well there in a short time. She was a big time player herself. The last time Arizona made the Sweet 16, she played there. She's already an elite coach. People told her hou can't win at Arizona, picked 11th, 12th in the league. She's a good example of how to start a major program. She does a lot of things well, and she's very candid and upbeat with her players.

Her husband is on staff and he is really good with player development snd International recruiting. (His dad is a Women's basketball coaching legend in Italy) Nice staff and mix of recruiting geographies.

Each game may be the last time to see McDonald play as she is going pro next season. She's only 5'6 but she's one of the best two way players Nationally.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #533 on: March 28, 2021, 09:40:33 AM »
I know that much of the fanbase is different, but it seems a shame to run the women's tournament concurrently with the men's.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #534 on: March 28, 2021, 12:12:31 PM »
I know that much of the fanbase is different, but it seems a shame to run the women's tournament concurrently with the men's.

There's been talk over the years about changing that but nothing has happened.  They did have awhile where they had Sun-Tue for the F4 so their championship was one day later but I don't think that really made much difference.  And they've been back to the Fri-Sun for the F4 for a bit now.

The interesting thing to me will be next season if they return to the top 16 seeds hosting the first two rounds - there's been debate about that again especially with that not possible this season with the bubble.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #535 on: March 29, 2021, 06:55:08 PM »
UCONN-Baylor has been entertaining in the first half - Baylor leads 39-37 at the half - should be an interesting 2nd half.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #536 on: March 29, 2021, 07:39:14 PM »
UCONN just went on a 17-0 run in the 3rd into the 4th and Bueckers is BALLIN.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #537 on: March 29, 2021, 07:48:04 PM »
UCONN just went on a 17-0 run in the 3rd into the 4th and Bueckers is BALLIN.

After Didi Richards went down with an injury for Baylor. That's a shame. Need extra from Carrington and Smith, others.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #538 on: March 29, 2021, 08:01:20 PM »
And then Baylor made a comeback after that big UCONN run.  Close game here still with 20 secs to go - this is a fun one...

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #539 on: March 29, 2021, 08:07:02 PM »
Wow Carrington was fouled on both the drive and the shot, no call on either.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #540 on: March 29, 2021, 08:10:20 PM »
UCONN goes ice cold. 4 points in the last 7 min.  Heck of a defensive stand after 2 brutal
missed FTs. Regardless of the call/no-call, they pushed Baylor out and got them a bit out of sorts to start that possession.  Mulkey is a heck of a coach tho.  Wild grinding finish after that high over first half .

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #541 on: March 29, 2021, 08:25:58 PM »
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 08:57:05 PM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #542 on: March 29, 2021, 09:06:24 PM »
Obvious foul. Shame that the refs choked.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #543 on: March 29, 2021, 09:37:18 PM »
I thought the foul called on the previous Baylor offensive possession was non-existent so not a surprise they swallowed the whistle on the final possession.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #544 on: March 29, 2021, 10:15:47 PM »
I thought the foul called on the previous Baylor offensive possession was non-existent so not a surprise they swallowed the whistle on the final possession.

Bueckers should have been called for a trip of the ballhandler out near the top of the key a couple seconds earlier in the play you're talking about. Agree that the final result of that possession was a phantom foul -- perhaps a makeup call for missing the trip.

Gotta call the foul in the final seconds. She was clobbered.

I watched most of the second half. The officiating was quite poor, and those teams deserved better.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #545 on: March 29, 2021, 10:21:00 PM »

33, 10, 4, and a Final Four for McDonald and Arizona.

60% FG (12-20)
80% FT (4-5)
83% 3pt% (5-6)

« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 10:23:55 PM by shoothoops »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #546 on: March 29, 2021, 10:51:21 PM »
Bueckers should have been called for a trip of the ballhandler out near the top of the key a couple seconds earlier in the play you're talking about. Agree that the final result of that possession was a phantom foul -- perhaps a makeup call for missing the trip.

Gotta call the foul in the final seconds. She was clobbered.

I watched most of the second half. The officiating was quite poor, and those teams deserved better.

That’s sort of why Im struggling to be too aggrieved by that call.  They were BRUTAL down the stretch for both teams. Both teams deserved better with how good that game was otherwise

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #547 on: March 30, 2021, 05:36:28 AM »
That’s sort of why Im struggling to be too aggrieved by that call.  They were BRUTAL down the stretch for both teams. Both teams deserved better with how good that game was otherwise

I was just going to type similar.  I thought Baylor was the beneficiary of a few calls down the stretch.
Even Steven.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #548 on: March 31, 2021, 04:18:49 PM »
Good transfer news - Purdue grad transfer Karissa McLaughlin is coming to Marquette:

https://twitter.com/Kmclaughlin12/status/1377356561207631872

I haven't had the chance to look up her stats but messageboard chatter says she's a good 3 point shooter which is something MU really needs.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #549 on: March 31, 2021, 05:01:53 PM »
Good transfer news - Purdue grad transfer Karissa McLaughlin is coming to Marquette:

https://twitter.com/Kmclaughlin12/status/1377356561207631872

I haven't had the chance to look up her stats but messageboard chatter says she's a good 3 point shooter which is something MU really needs.

Hopefully she will have good ankle health after her previous ankle injury/surgery.

feedback