[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 136335 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #500 on: March 21, 2021, 10:52:53 AM »
I added a post last night about today's game in Hangin at the Al and it only got derogatory comment towards Women's Basketball so far - I thought that was pretty good :).

The mods should ban those mysogynists.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #501 on: March 21, 2021, 11:03:50 AM »
Yeah and they beat both of them to advance in the WNIT.  I forgot they had a Marquette transfer on that SLU team too.

They also have a DePaul transfer too.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #502 on: March 21, 2021, 11:26:08 AM »
Not a very good 1st quarter and Cam Taylor is on the bench with 2 fouls.  Having her out is hurting them.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #503 on: March 21, 2021, 12:49:11 PM »
Lisa Stone has actually put together a really nice squad at SLU. Obviously not anything special, but she has gotten a lot of under recruited kids from Illinois to go play for her. They'll probably win the conference next year if I had to guess.

Yep, they will return just about everyone next year too. She is finally combining some recruiting classes a little bit, instead of having a few down years mixed in recruiting.

It also shows the difference in expectations vs a Power 5/Big East. They don’t have much history there. They didn’t have the resources or facilities until shortly before Stone arrived. So it’s a bit apples to oranges comparing her to a Jill Pizzotti (long time DePaul assistant and for HC there) or a Shimmy Gray, former hc coaches there.

Stone has slowly but steadily stabilized and built their program into an almost annual WNIT team 5 of the last 6 years. She’s a good coach. Recruiting has often been her question throughout her career.

The highest levels of ball require the highest levels recruiting, Power 5 type leagues. But Stone can do under the radar with good promising players, transfers etc and coach them up and be successful. If she can mix in a few NCAA’s with her steady WNIT’s, she can be there as long as she wants. It’s a pretty good fit for her for now. The people there will eventually want those mixed in too over time. And having some success may open a few more recruiting doors along the way. More recently she has even added a little juco and International recruiting for the first time, although that is not that primary target market. Many of their recruits have been from MO, Il, WI, IA, KY in the region.

She isn’t often going to get the best local players. But she can be competitive. For example, getting a transfer such as Marisa Warren from DePaul helps get her in with local program power, Incarnate Word Academy. Current DePaul star Sonya Morris played there, as did former UConn star Napheesa Collier.  She has Larry Hughes’ daughter on the team,!a reserve player. She may get Scott Highmark’s daughter too.) She also picked up Marquette U transfer Myriama Smith Traore, who has done well there.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #504 on: March 21, 2021, 12:55:46 PM »
Come-on ladies!  Finish this come back.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #505 on: March 21, 2021, 01:09:01 PM »
Come-on ladies!  Finish this come back.

It was quite the comeback effort there but falls short unfortunately...

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #506 on: March 21, 2021, 01:13:55 PM »
It was quite the comeback effort there but falls short unfortunately...

The missed rebound with 7 seconds. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #507 on: March 21, 2021, 01:26:07 PM »
The missed rebound with 7 seconds.

Yep - that was the dagger

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #508 on: March 21, 2021, 02:18:44 PM »
It was quite the push at the end. it was between 7 and 13 for a long time. Good season. Check a box.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #509 on: March 21, 2021, 03:07:17 PM »
Yes despite today it was a good season.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #510 on: March 21, 2021, 04:35:46 PM »
I saw a tweet by Anonymous Eagle today that I thought brought up a good point - this team probably would have been helped a lot had they gotten to get some NCAA Tournament experience last year. 

I have no idea if LVK or Selena Lott will use their extra year of eligibilty.  If this was the end for them at MU, thank you to both of them - will miss watching both of them play

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #511 on: March 21, 2021, 10:23:32 PM »
Tuned in for the first time on the Lady Warriors today. The good is how they played as a team, how they never gave up and the high quality coaching of Megan Duffy. Nice job ladies and we’re proud of you.

Thought I was watching the men’s team for awhile in the first, with the turnovers. But Coach Duffy made an adjustment at half and her team looked good.

Look forward to many more good years with this team.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #512 on: March 22, 2021, 09:25:24 AM »
I saw a tweet by Anonymous Eagle today that I thought brought up a good point - this team probably would have been helped a lot had they gotten to get some NCAA Tournament experience last year. 

I have no idea if LVK or Selena Lott will use their extra year of eligibilty.  If this was the end for them at MU, thank you to both of them - will miss watching both of them play

The difficult work really begins now for Duffy. You're a mid-seed team losing two outstanding players. Will be interesting to see how the program progresses.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #513 on: March 22, 2021, 09:34:00 AM »
The difficult work really begins now for Duffy. You're a mid-seed team losing two outstanding players. Will be interesting to see how the program progresses.

Selena said in the past that she may return so she can get an advanced degree.

Here are their replacements in any regard.

https://gomarquette.com/news/2020/11/10/womens-basketball-muwbb-inks-two-signees-in-class-of-2021.aspx

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #514 on: March 22, 2021, 09:35:58 AM »

One or both could choose to come back for another year but at this point I’m guessing they played their last game at MU :( until I hear otherwise.  I wish there could have been some kind of senior day celebration but I know that’s not feasible right now.

Will also have to see if Duffy’s name comes up for any job openings - I imagine she is on people’s radar with the success she’s had at MU.  I’d love to see her stay at MU for a long time but I’m not sure how realistic that is especially with how bad the BE is in Women’s Basketball.

I also wish there were more upsets in Women’s Basketball - all the games on the first day were won by the better seed - couldn’t even get a 9 seed knocking off an 8 seed and all four of those games were played yesterday.  Here’s hoping for an upset or two today.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #515 on: March 22, 2021, 05:44:49 PM »
Is there a women's transfer portal?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #516 on: March 22, 2021, 05:55:22 PM »
Is there a women's transfer portal?

Yes and I follow someone on Twitter who regularly posts when players enter it.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #517 on: March 22, 2021, 05:56:46 PM »
Wins by a 11, 13 and 12 so far today so that’s good to see some upsets finally.  Belmont as a 12 seed beat 5 seed Gonzaga - MU won at Belmont this season.  And Belmont's coach Bart Brooks was a long time DePaul assistant coach.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 07:35:19 PM by Marquette Fan »

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #518 on: March 24, 2021, 09:51:27 AM »
Thanks Marquette Fan. If you see anything interesting in the transfer portal please post. And thank you for your contributions all season long. Much appreciated.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #519 on: March 24, 2021, 05:41:25 PM »
2022 Appleton East, WI’s Emily La Chapell committed to Marquette:

https://twitter.com/emlachapell/status/1374842894138417156?s=21
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 05:45:12 PM by shoothoops »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #520 on: March 24, 2021, 08:02:02 PM »
2022 Appleton East, WI’s Emily La Chapell committed to Marquette:

https://twitter.com/emlachapell/status/1374842894138417156?s=21

Thanks for sharing.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #521 on: March 24, 2021, 08:09:10 PM »
Thanks Marquette Fan. If you see anything interesting in the transfer portal please post. And thank you for your contributions all season long. Much appreciated.

Will do.  I've seen a number of players from other BE schools enter the transfer portal but nothing for MU yet (of course their season just ended a few days ago). 

Most interesting thing I've seen so far is  Notre Dame player Ali Campbell who transferred from Notre Dame to Penn State - looks to be a good pick up for Kieger. Interestingly Campbell said she asked not to be contacted by other coaches by checking a box in the transfer portal as she was leaning towards Penn State (one of her final choices when she picked Notre Dame) but said she was still contacted by more than 15 teams after she entered the portal - https://www.altoonamirror.com/sports/psu/2021/03/b-a-grad-to-transfer-to-penn-st/

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #522 on: March 25, 2021, 08:37:31 AM »
Thanks for sharing.

https://twitter.com/CourtsideFilms/status/1374905203992850436?s=19

Averaged 20, 7, 5 on 19-4 team. Other offers included:

Belmont, the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, Iowa State, Kansas State, UW-Milwaukee, Xavier, Wisconsin, Utah and Indiana.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 10:16:05 AM by shoothoops »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #523 on: March 25, 2021, 05:47:42 PM »
https://twitter.com/CourtsideFilms/status/1374905203992850436?s=19

Averaged 20, 7, 5 on 19-4 team. Other offers included:

Belmont, the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, Iowa State, Kansas State, UW-Milwaukee, Xavier, Wisconsin, Utah and Indiana.

Not a bad list of other schools there.  Anonymous Eagle article on her commitment - https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2021/3/25/22330084/marquette-golden-eagles-womens-basketball-recruiting-commitment-emily-la-chapell-appleton-wisconsin

Minnesota had also given her an offer (saw that on 2 different messageboards today).  There's mention of her at the top of this page and the offer from Minnesota:

https://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/threads/2022-recruiting.88334/page-2
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 09:09:32 PM by Marquette Fan »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #524 on: March 25, 2021, 05:53:56 PM »
Selena Lott is projected as a late third round pick in ESPN's mock WNBA draft (they only have 3 rounds in the WNBA draft):

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/31132138/wnba-mock-draft-2021-version-30-texas-longhorns-charli-collier-projected-go-no-1-dallas-wings

The WNBA draft will take place on April 15th.

feedback