[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 136433 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #450 on: March 09, 2021, 10:37:15 AM »
Don't strain yourself trying to pick one season out of 33 while ignoring decades. I stated the record, the facts. And then I expanded upon them. Because you follow Women's basketball so closely, I know you are aware Ivey had a knee injury in November of 1996. (she had a few over the years) And because you aren't disingenous, I know you aren't trying to prop up 1 season out of 33, as if somehow that makes the point any different. And you forgot one small little thing about Ivey's playing career.

McGraw won 2 National Titles in 33 years at Notre Dame. The first came with Ivey playing as the star point guard. Ivey set the school record for assists in a season. She averaged 17 points and 6 steals a game in the 2001 Final Four helping Notre Dame secure McGraw's first National Title. She finished in the top 10 in 16 different statistical categories while at Notre Dame. Seems decent.

I’m not straining at all.  Or ignoring “decades”.  McGraw had been at ND less than a decade when she made her first FF.  A program with no success before her. and  You claimed that she had never progressed past the S16 until Ivey, as if implying Ivey was the driver of the success.   I merely stated that her first FF was when Ivey was not a major contributor.   I know Ivey was injured, but she was hardly a major contributor beforehand.  Unless you’re trying to say an injured 18 year old Ivey was key factor in that.   But I see you’re gonna focus on just the national titles now.  And 2001, again, taking nothing away from her and her great career, but highlighting her as the “star” when Riley was by far the best player on the team and indeed the entire country is just pushing a narrative. 

I took nothing away her as a coach,  and admitted she pushed McGraw and the program to the next level. I don’t need you to puke a bunch of know it all facts to try and prove anything.  Merely suggesting you overstated her effects as a player relative to McGraw’s success pre-mid 2000s.

Let’s hope Duffy can find her Riley and Ivey and explode upwards the same way.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #451 on: March 09, 2021, 10:57:36 AM »
Will/Does the loss hurt MU's seeding? Or will it depend on what happens with the other tournaments this week?

Would be great to avoid the 8/9 seed!

Their NET dropped from 30 to 34 after the loss.  I’m expecting the dreaded 8/9 but am excited to hear MU’s name called Monday and have a chance to be excited watching the selection show for the first time in 3 years.  There was no tournament last year of course and ESPN took the fun out of the selection show in 2019 when they leaked the bracket early...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #452 on: March 09, 2021, 11:09:38 AM »
Their NET dropped from 30 to 34 after the loss.  I’m expecting the dreaded 8/9 but am excited to hear MU’s name called Monday and have a chance to be excited watching the selection show for the first time in 3 years.  There was no tournament last year of course and ESPN took the fun out of the selection show in 2019 when they leaked the bracket early...

What are the odds of us ending up having to play UConn a third time if we won the first round game? Does the women's bracket try to separate same conference teams like the men's?
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #453 on: March 09, 2021, 11:13:15 AM »
What are the odds of us ending up having to play UConn a third time if we won the first round game? Does the women's bracket try to separate same conference teams like the men's?

I don't think MUWBB would get matched up again with UConn.

A lot of talk about the possibility of playing a one seed. Playing a two seed isn't an easy task either. I'll be looking to see specific individual matchups. And, the focus is the first game, which will be a challenge itself.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #454 on: March 09, 2021, 11:49:07 AM »

They like to separate the conference teams when they can.  And with only 2 or 3 teams making it from the Big East that won’t be a problem.  It gets trickier when you have say 8 SEC teams make the tournament.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #455 on: March 09, 2021, 12:24:54 PM »
I’m not straining at all.  Or ignoring “decades”.  McGraw had been at ND less than a decade when she made her first FF.  A program with no success before her. and  You claimed that she had never progressed past the S16 until Ivey, as if implying Ivey was the driver of the success.   I merely stated that her first FF was when Ivey was not a major contributor.   I know Ivey was injured, but she was hardly a major contributor beforehand.  Unless you’re trying to say an injured 18 year old Ivey was key factor in that.   But I see you’re gonna focus on just the national titles now.  And 2001, again, taking nothing away from her and her great career, but highlighting her as the “star” when Riley was by far the best player on the team and indeed the entire country is just pushing a narrative. 

I took nothing away her as a coach,  and admitted she pushed McGraw and the program to the next level. I don’t need you to puke a bunch of know it all facts to try and prove anything.  Merely suggesting you overstated her effects as a player relative to McGraw’s success pre-mid 2000s.

Let’s hope Duffy can find her Riley and Ivey and explode upwards the same way.

Lol, same thing, different post. What a strange hill to die on. For reasons unknown you are unsuccessfully trying to downplay Ivey's playing career, and to make it out to be Ruth Riley vs Niele Ivey, which is a bit comical for multiple reasons, least of which they are good friends, and all one.needs to do is listen to Riley's thoughts on the topic or McGraw's thoughts.

Ivey was ND's 2nd leading scorer, on a National Championship Team. Who do you think passed Riley the ball often times? Only 3 players in the country averaged more assists per game than Ivey. Who do you think guarded the opposing team's best guard? Ivey. But go ahead and be dismissive of her role as a player at ND even if incorrect because it doesn't fit your first post. Ruth Riley? Great player, an all timer in both college and pro. But she didn't play 1 on 5.

Ivey was named 3rd Team Associated Press All American. Ivey was named the country's best player 5'8 and under. (Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award) Ivey was one of 3 Finalists for the Nancy Lieberman Award for the Nation's best point guard. Ivey was named to the NCAA Final Four All Tournament Team.
ND's first Big East Title came with Ivey as a player. Ivey was a 3 time All Big East Selection.

Ivey led the team in steals four straight seasons. Ivey led the team in
assists 3 straight seasons. Ivey set school records in steals, assists, and assist to turnover ratio.

Ivey is on the top ten list, or in many cases, top few list or better, all time at ND in: Steals, Games Played, Double Doubles by a guard, assists, assists per game, steals per game, career points, career 3 point shooting percentage, 3 pointers made, and scoring.

As a coach, prior to Ivey the player McGraw had won one NCAA game in her history coaching. McGraw never lost in the NCAA first round while Ivey was a player there, (making the 2nd weekend or better four times)

After Ivey the player left, McGraw's teams made the NCAA 2nd weekend twice, until Ivey came back many years later. With Ivey the coach, ND won 8 league titles combined Big East, ACC. They advanced to the NCAA 2nd weekend or better 11 times, including, a National Title, and 6 additional Final Fours. They went 8 of 9 years finishing in the Elite 8 or better.

Again, no one said McGraw wasn't a great coach. Her success was elevated a lot, with Ivey at ND as both a player, and, as a coach. And, that's also a credit for McGraw. To repeatedly downplay Ivey's playing career there (as well as coaching) is being either very ignorant of Women's basketball or very disingenous. Ivey and McGraw credit each other as well as others who were also a big part of their success.

Marquette doesn't have to keep an eye on the Notre Dame basketball coaching position just yet. Hopefully Duffy continues to have success,.and improve upon on it. And if and when the time comes from other programs,.as long as she is successful, hopefully she will stay a little longer than Kieger did. Gotta keep building first. This post season is a good opportunity for MUWBB.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 12:54:16 PM by shoothoops »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #456 on: March 09, 2021, 07:52:20 PM »
I'm not worried about the Notre Dame coaching position for Duffy.  I think Ivey isn't going anywhere for awhile and expect a number of schools from P5 conferences to be interested in Duffy sooner rather than later.  No idea if she'll want to stay or move onto a better conference.  The Big East is basically a mid-major in Women's Basketball.  I'd love for her to stay but it's all out of my control of course :)...

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #457 on: March 09, 2021, 08:09:15 PM »
UConn Women impact on the Big East?

This year's Big East Tourney viewership was up 202%.

UConn's title game win over Marquette was the 2nd most watched FS1 Women's game in history, 292,000. (The most watched game was UConn v South Carolina)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #458 on: March 09, 2021, 08:28:59 PM »
UConn Women impact on the Big East?

This year's Big East Tourney viewership was up 202%.

UConn's title game win over Marquette was the 2nd most watched FS1 Women's game in history, 292,000. (The most watched game was UConn v South Carolina)

I'm curious how the subscriptions sales went and viewership was for Flohoops.  Of course there's no UCONN tie-in there as they have their own TV deal and weren't part of that.  I'm guessing they'll continue with Flohoops in the future - I'll have to think about whether or not I want to spend the money for that or not again.  One of the reasons I did it this season was because I couldn't go to any home games.  I'm really hoping fans are allowed back next season.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #459 on: March 09, 2021, 09:03:22 PM »
There's a P5 opening right up the road now.  Wisconsin just fired Jonathan Tsipis after 5 seasons:

https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2021/3/9/22322501/wisconsin-badgers-womens-basketball-uw-fires-head-coach-jonathan-tsipis

And no I don't think Duffy will end up there.  But it is of interest as a near by Women's Basketball program.  They have really struggled since firing Jane Albright - Lisa Stone, Bobbi Kelsey and Jonathan Tsipis now have not been able to have the success Albright enjoyed for much of her tenure at UW.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #460 on: March 10, 2021, 11:23:27 PM »
There's a P5 opening right up the road now.  Wisconsin just fired Jonathan Tsipis after 5 seasons:

https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2021/3/9/22322501/wisconsin-badgers-womens-basketball-uw-fires-head-coach-jonathan-tsipis

And no I don't think Duffy will end up there.  But it is of interest as a near by Women's Basketball program.  They have really struggled since firing Jane Albright - Lisa Stone, Bobbi Kelsey and Jonathan Tsipis now have not been able to have the success Albright enjoyed for much of her tenure at UW.

Gonna be interesting to see if they’re are any transfers. Lot of talented Illinois kids there who I could see moving closer to home.

DePaul/Northwestern May be the beneficiary

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #461 on: March 11, 2021, 04:11:43 PM »
Gonna be interesting to see if they’re are any transfers. Lot of talented Illinois kids there who I could see moving closer to home.

DePaul/Northwestern May be the beneficiary

Leading rebounder and 2nd leading scorer junior Imani Lewis has entered the transfer portal:

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/basketball/women/forward-imani-lewis-leaves-badgers-womens-basketball-team/article_187cb0ab-fac6-5fb0-a616-3a807fb32b96.html

Wow - I had forgotten how long ago Jane Albright coached at UW - she was there 1994-2003.  They haven't reached the success she had there since then.  Lisa Stone was there for 8 seasons after her and then Bobbi Kelsey and Jonathan Tisipis each were there for 5 seasons.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 07:21:08 PM by Marquette Fan »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #462 on: March 13, 2021, 08:48:35 AM »
Marquette is hosting a Virtual Selection Show party on Monday.  It won't be the same as being there in person at the Annex - always had fun at those.  But at least they're doing what they can this year.  So excited for Monday night to see Marquette's name pop up on the screen and see their seed and who they will be playing.  I'm guessing it will be an 8 seed.  I miss when the Women's Selection Show was on Sunday too so there was less time to wait :) but at least I know MU will be in the tourney so I'm not anxious as I wait wondering if they're going to get a bid.

Go Marquette!!!

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #463 on: March 13, 2021, 10:15:41 AM »
The Marquette Tribune had an in depth write up of Lauren Van Kleunen in their last issue.

https://marquettewire.org/4048732/sports/hard-working-pays-off-for-van-kleunen-redshirt-senior-embraces-leadership-role/

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #464 on: March 14, 2021, 08:37:42 PM »
Final ESPN bracketology still has MU as an 8 seed - http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

Their NET is at 34.

Selection Show is at 6P central time on Monday on ESPN.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #465 on: March 14, 2021, 09:09:41 PM »

Wow - I had forgotten how long ago Jane Albright coached at UW - she was there 1994-2003.  They haven't reached the success she had there since then.  Lisa Stone was there for 8 seasons after her and then Bobbi Kelsey and Jonathan Tisipis each were there for 5 seasons.
[/quote]
Barb Frankie and Keisha Anderson were quite the combo. (My memory could be way off in this)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #466 on: March 14, 2021, 09:30:03 PM »

Barb Frankie and Keisha Anderson were quite the combo. (My memory could be way off in this)

Yeah I remember both of them - Barb Franke was at UW from 1991-1996 and Anderson spent 3 years with the Badgers graduating in 1997 (she played at Arizona in 92-93 before transferring to UW).

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #467 on: March 15, 2021, 04:14:06 PM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #468 on: March 15, 2021, 04:15:49 PM »
Geno Auriemma tested positive for COVID-19 yesterday:

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2021/3/15/womens-basketball-geno-auriemma-tests-positive-for-covid-19.aspx

Well that'll change things. Shame it didn't happen last week... would've been great to actually have one big East championship while UConn was in the big East
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #469 on: March 15, 2021, 04:59:42 PM »
Well that'll change things. Shame it didn't happen last week... would've been great to actually have one big East championship while UConn was in the big East

I don’t think it would have changed anything.  It’s only Geno out - no players are out.  They aren’t going to lose much with long time assistant Chris Daley in charge.  And he can be back coaching by their 2nd round game.

They’ll probably spend 10 minutes talking about this during the selection show though.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #470 on: March 15, 2021, 05:23:30 PM »
I don’t think it would have changed anything.  It’s only Geno out - no players are out.  They aren’t going to lose much with long time assistant Chris Daley in charge.  And he can be back coaching by their 2nd round game.

They’ll probably spend 10 minutes talking about this during the selection show though.

Yea, a complete non-story.  He’s back by the 24th, and even if their second round game is the 23rd, they will be playing an 8 or a 9, who is around Marquette’s level at best, and we saw what UCONN did to teams like that all year.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #471 on: March 15, 2021, 06:05:57 PM »

Yep.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #472 on: March 15, 2021, 06:36:53 PM »
So we're a 10-seed, playing VaTech on Sunday, with the winner having to play Baylor, right?

Don't know anything about VaTech, but Baylor is never fun.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #473 on: March 15, 2021, 06:37:39 PM »
MUWBB is a 10 seed.

They play 7 seed Virginia Tech, Sunday 11am Central, ESPNU.

They potentially play #2 seed Baylor in 2nd round. UConn is the #1 seed on the other side of their bracket.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #474 on: March 15, 2021, 06:38:52 PM »
MUWBB is a 10 seed.

They play 7 seed Virginia Tech, Sunday 11am Central, ESPNU.

They potentially play #2 seed Baylor in 2nd round. UConn is the #1 seed on the other side of their bracket.

Kim Adams gives her thoughts about MUWBB seed:

https://twitter.com/Kim_Adams1/status/1371605923714768896?s=19