[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 136559 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #400 on: February 27, 2021, 06:32:34 PM »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #401 on: February 28, 2021, 09:05:39 PM »
Marquette finishes up the regular season at UCONN at 7P central Monday night on CBS SportsNetwork.  I thought I heard on one broadcast they were going to stay out there with the BE tournament starting in Connecticut on Friday (MU's first BET game will be Saturday night).

Before this weekend's games, the locked up seeds for the BET were UCONN at 1, MU at 2 and Creighton at 6.  DePaul is more than likely going to be the 3 which would setup a possible interesting rematch in the BET semifinals - they lock up the 3 seed with a win tomorrow at home against a really bad Butler team.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #402 on: March 01, 2021, 07:09:40 PM »
DePaul lost at home to a really bad Butler team today - I wasn't expecting that and it makes Marquette's win at DePaul last week not look as good.  Seton Hall is in a good position now to finish 3rd in the BE and slide DePaul down to 4th.  Seton Hall leads St. John's 36-23 haflway through the 3rd quarter - a win tonight gets them the 3rd place finish in the BE.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #403 on: March 01, 2021, 09:03:34 PM »
Marquette loses 63-53 tonight.  They already had the #2 seed locked up in the BET before this game.

Their first BET game will be at 6P EST Saturday against the winner of 7 seed Providence vs. 10 seed Butler.  DePaul fell to the 4 seed with their upset loss to Butler today.  If seeds hold, Marquette would have a chance to avenge their loss at Seton Hall in the BET semifinals.  MU only played Seton Hall once this season as their home game with them was canceled due to Covid issues for Seton Hall and never rescheduled.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #404 on: March 01, 2021, 09:03:51 PM »
Played UConn tough tonight in Storrs. If they wouldn't have chucked it around the gym in the first half it woulda been a fun finish.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #405 on: March 01, 2021, 09:22:05 PM »
Fun game to watch. Lott needs to find her shooting touch ASAP.

I did not know that UConn is so young. No seniors. Plus they're getting the #1, #5, and #15 recruits next year. Should be quite the super team.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #406 on: March 02, 2021, 05:37:45 AM »
Played UConn tough tonight in Storrs. If they wouldn't have chucked it around the gym in the first half it woulda been a fun finish.

I watched the first half but not the second then checked the box score.  If you had told me they'd lose by only ten after than first half (especially the first quarter) I'd have laughed in your face.  Looking at the box score, if Selena has a normal game and we can limit the offensive rebounds, we can beat that Uconn team.  Is it likely? No. But is it possible? Yes, and that's more than I've ever said about our women against the Huskies.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #407 on: March 02, 2021, 08:56:01 AM »
I personally think DePauls loss was a "good" loss for MU...  It puts DP in the upper bracket w/ UConn, better than being in the lower bracket w/MU.... If DP wins their first game, they get to play Gino's #1 ranked team... Doug Bruno's team are always tough on MU... 

Printable bracket: https://www.bigeast.com/documents/2021/2/17//2021_Tournament_Bracket_blank.pdf

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #408 on: March 02, 2021, 01:57:08 PM »
Fun game to watch. Lott needs to find her shooting touch ASAP.

I did not know that UConn is so young. No seniors. Plus they're getting the #1, #5, and #15 recruits next year. Should be quite the super team.

and their best player is a freshman.

Let's face it, we're playing for second place every year.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #409 on: March 02, 2021, 04:13:38 PM »
Disappointed to see DePaul #25 but MU third in others receiving votes.

Our overall and conference records are both better. We are 5-1 since we lost a close game to DePaul on Feb. 7; the lone loss was by 10 points at UConn. (DePaul lost to UConn by 23 and 33 points.) The 5 wins included a 14-point win at DePaul and several other decisive victories.

Just a poll, I know. But seems pretty nonsensical.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #410 on: March 02, 2021, 06:23:40 PM »
I personally think DePauls loss was a "good" loss for MU...  It puts DP in the upper bracket w/ UConn, better than being in the lower bracket w/MU.... If DP wins their first game, they get to play Gino's #1 ranked team... Doug Bruno's team are always tough on MU... 

Printable bracket: https://www.bigeast.com/documents/2021/2/17//2021_Tournament_Bracket_blank.pdf

Yeah I'm aware that now they won't likely face DePaul in the BET and if DePaul is hitting from outside they can be tough.  But Marquette's win at DePaul was their best win of the season and DePaul losing to an awful Butler team makes that win not look the greatest.  I really wanted to see them avoid an 8/9 seed if possible but that may just be where they end up.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #411 on: March 02, 2021, 06:25:39 PM »

Our overall and conference records are both better. We are 5-1 since we lost a close game to DePaul on Feb. 7; the lone loss was by 10 points at UConn. (DePaul lost to UConn by 23 and 33 points.) The 5 wins included a 14-point win at DePaul and several other decisive victories.

Yeah butt, if sports righters ar votin', dat 'slains a lot, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #412 on: March 02, 2021, 06:31:55 PM »

I think it's reputation and the non-conference schedule that have kept DePaul ahead of MU at this point.  Reputation often seems more important to voters than actual results in Women's Basketball.  And truthfully MU didn't play anyone very tough in their non-conference schedule and the loss at home to UWM doesn't look the greatest.  DePaul played these ranked teams in the non-conference - Texas A&M (lost a close game), got destroyed by Louisville and beat a ranked Kentucky (now #9).  I think they've hung on to their ranking for awhile thanks to the Kentucky win.  Marquette's NET ranking has also been a lot better than DePaul's all season.  It's 34-69 for the NET right now.  Seton Hall is much better than DePaul with a NET of 51.

If I were DePaul, I'd be a little nervous about making the NCAA Tournament right now - I'd consider them a bubble team at this point.  I think they have to beat Villanova in their first BET game to really have a shot at a bid.

The Coaches' Poll comes out on Tuesdays for the Women while the AP poll comes out on Mondays.  DePaul did fall out of the Coaches' poll today after their loss to Butler and are 2nd in others receiving votes in there and MU is 4th in others receiving votes in that poll.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #413 on: March 02, 2021, 11:01:31 PM »

Yeah butt, if sports righters ar votin', dat 'slains a lot, aina?

Sure.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #414 on: March 02, 2021, 11:02:34 PM »
I think it's reputation and the non-conference schedule that have kept DePaul ahead of MU at this point.  Reputation often seems more important to voters than actual results in Women's Basketball.  And truthfully MU didn't play anyone very tough in their non-conference schedule and the loss at home to UWM doesn't look the greatest.  DePaul played these ranked teams in the non-conference - Texas A&M (lost a close game), got destroyed by Louisville and beat a ranked Kentucky (now #9).  I think they've hung on to their ranking for awhile thanks to the Kentucky win.  Marquette's NET ranking has also been a lot better than DePaul's all season.  It's 34-69 for the NET right now.  Seton Hall is much better than DePaul with a NET of 51.

If I were DePaul, I'd be a little nervous about making the NCAA Tournament right now - I'd consider them a bubble team at this point.  I think they have to beat Villanova in their first BET game to really have a shot at a bid.

The Coaches' Poll comes out on Tuesdays for the Women while the AP poll comes out on Mondays.  DePaul did fall out of the Coaches' poll today after their loss to Butler and are 2nd in others receiving votes in there and MU is 4th in others receiving votes in that poll.

Thanks for the explanation.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #415 on: March 03, 2021, 09:35:42 PM »
Updated bracketology today - MU stays an 8 and DePaul falls to a 10.  I actually like the 10 seed better than the 8 - avoid the #1 seed in the second round.  Of course this bracket would have DePaul facing Louisville in the 2nd round most likely and Louisville blew them out earlier this season.

But I'm happy that MU is pretty much a lock to go dancing this year and it will be the first time in 3 years I can be excited watching the Selection Show - last year's tourney was canceled of course and ESPN ruined the excitement of the Selection Show in 2019 by leaking the bracket early.

Bracketology link - https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/30423107/women-bracketology-brackets-all-shapes-sizes

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #416 on: March 04, 2021, 10:11:21 AM »
BE Honors are out:

Selena Lott earns co-defensive player of the year and first team honors.

LVK made the 2nd team and was the BE sportsmanship award winner.

Cam Taylor was BE honorable mention.

I'm really happy to see Lott recognized for her defense.  She's one of the best defenders I've seen play at MU over the years.

All the award winners - https://www.bigeast.com/news/2021/3/4/womens-basketball-bueckers-sweeps-big-east-player-freshman-of-the-year-honors.aspx

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #417 on: March 05, 2021, 12:14:04 PM »
Career high for Gabby Elliott last night in Clemson's win over ND. Freshman guard had 25 and 7. Greg's little sister, a top 50 national recruit.

https://twitter.com/GE3__/status/1367699456301428737?s=19

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #418 on: March 05, 2021, 07:24:54 PM »
(2) seed Marquette will face (7) seed Providence tomorrow at 5P central in their first game of the BET and the game will be on FS2.  MU beat Providence rather handily in both their meetings this season including an 89-40 win at the Al to open up BE play.  Hopefully it's another easy victory for MU tomorrow.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #419 on: March 06, 2021, 05:48:02 PM »
(2) seed Marquette will face (7) seed Providence tomorrow at 5P central in their first game of the BET and the game will be on FS2.  MU beat Providence rather handily in both their meetings this season including an 89-40 win at the Al to open up BE play.  Hopefully it's another easy victory for MU tomorrow.

Marquette leads Providence 33-15 at halftime.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #420 on: March 06, 2021, 06:53:51 PM »
Marquette wins easily 68-43.

They will face the winner of Creighton-Seton Hall in the semifinals tomorrow night. Marquette beat Creighton twice but lost to Seton Hall on the road in their only meeting with them this season.  That game at Seton Hall was after a 24 day layoff due to a Covid pause though.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #421 on: March 07, 2021, 07:14:59 AM »
Creighton upset Seton Hall last night so that's who Marquette faces in the BET semifinals tonight at 5P central time on FS1.

LVK is only 6 points away from 1,000 career points.  And I'd love to see Cam Taylor stay out of foul trouble.  Those are two things I'm focusing on for tonight's game.

Go Marquette!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 07:24:55 AM by Marquette Fan »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #422 on: March 07, 2021, 08:30:56 AM »
I put tonight's game on my "stuff to check out" schedule. Looking forward to seeing a nice portion of the game. We Are Marquette!

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #423 on: March 07, 2021, 09:02:55 AM »
Saw DePaul lost again. Given their Wojoesque late season collapse will they still make the tourney?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #424 on: March 07, 2021, 11:13:28 AM »
I put tonight's game on my "stuff to check out" schedule. Looking forward to seeing a nice portion of the game. We Are Marquette!

I planned my dinner time for the 2nd day in a row aiming for it to be at halftime of the game :).  The timing worked out perfectly yesterday...