[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 136315 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #375 on: February 15, 2021, 06:28:04 PM »
When she said she had chosen Peay, I asked her if she had heard about the old Fly Williams cheer. She hadn't. Laughed her arse off when I told her.

Fly was recruited to Peay by Leonard Hamilton.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #376 on: February 16, 2021, 12:03:55 AM »
Fly was recruited to Peay by Leonard Hamilton.

I did not know that.

I do know that he never met a shot he didn't like. He'd have added 10 points on his scoring average had there been a 3-point line back then.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #377 on: February 18, 2021, 07:31:40 PM »
Marquette is in the home stretch here with 4 regular season games remaining - home against Villanova tomorrow at 7P CST on FloHoops, Mon. at 6P central versus Creighton on FS1, Wed. at DePaul at 4P CST on FloHoops and finishing up at UCONN on Mon. March 1st at 7P CST on SNY.

I'd say they need to beat Villanova and Creighton to avoid finding themselves on the bubble and a win at DePaul would be pretty helpful too.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #378 on: February 19, 2021, 09:16:00 PM »
It wasn't the prettiest thing by any stretch but Marquette picks up an important win onver Villanova tonight 65-57.  By my calculations, they will finish just ahead of Villanova in winning percentage if MU can win one of their remaining 3 games and Villanova wins their 3 remaining games (all very winnable games for Villanova).  If the remaining games are played as scheduled, MU will end up with 3 more league games than Villanova.  MU is only missing home contests agains Xavier and Seton Hall at this point which aren't going to be made up.  Marquette has two very tough games to finish out the regular season - at DePaul and at UCONN.  MU is home on Monday vs. Creighton at 6P central on FS1.

Although not out of the question, it will be tough to catch DePaul at this point so I'd say a 3rd place finish in the BE is most likely for MU.  UCONN of course is in first place with no league losses so far and DePaul's only losses in the conference so far are to UCONN.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #379 on: February 20, 2021, 04:37:54 PM »
Creighton made things a little more interesting today as they upset DePaul in Chicago 83-72.  This should have Marquette's attention as Creighton comes to Milwaukee on Monday night in a game that will be on FS1 at 6P central.  This also makes it possible for Marquette to overtake DePaul for second in the conference if MU can beat Creighton at home Monday and win at DePaul on Wednesday (MU does finish at UCONN on Mon. 3/1).  DePaul's other two games are very winnable for them - at Providence ahd home to the worst team in the league - Butler.

Interestingly DePaul will end up with only 16 league games of the orginally scheduled 20 when they were the only team in the conference with no Covid stoppages - they are of course impacted by other teams' Covid stoppages though.  Marquette will end up with 18 league games assuming all remaining games are played.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #380 on: February 22, 2021, 05:42:49 PM »
Just noticed that Marquette got 1 vote in this week's AP poll.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #381 on: February 22, 2021, 07:25:40 PM »
Apparently Megan Duffy and the Lady Warriors have decided to drop the hammer on Creighton this evening.  Perhaps the men's team can learn something from their tenacity and prime-time execution?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #382 on: February 22, 2021, 09:10:42 PM »
That was a fun game to watch - I was expecting a close game but this one was never really in doubt.  I'm not complaining though :).

It was rather fitting that on senior day the two seniors had monster games - LVK had 20 points on 9 of 14 shooting from the field and Selena Lott had 10 points, 11 assists, 3 blocks and 6 steals.

They finish the season on the road against two opponents that they already lost to at home - DePaul and UCONN.  Wednesday's game at 4P central at DePaul is what I'm calling the battle for second place in the Big East.  If Marquette can beat DePaul on Wednesday, they will finish with a higher winning percentage than DePaul no matter what happens with both teams' remaining games.  DePaul's other two games are at Providence and home to Butler - two games they are more than likely going to win so MU's best bet is to beat them Wednesday.  MU is on track to end up with two more BE games than DePaul and according to a broadcaster on one of their games the BE is going with winning percentage to determine conference standings.

Edited to add - the game recap on MU's site says MU has now clinched a top 3 BE finish.  They also forgot to fill in their sub headline - look at LVK's point total in the original recap they published :) -

Lauren Van Kleunen scored a team-high xx points
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 09:46:27 PM by Marquette Fan »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #383 on: February 23, 2021, 10:43:06 AM »
Ah yea, I've definitely been there and accidentally left in the placeholder in a match report before.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #384 on: February 23, 2021, 09:11:17 PM »
Charlie Creme updated his Bracketology today and Marquette remains right around where they've been on there for awhile - an 8 seed.  DePaul moved down after their loss to Creighton and is now also projected as an 8 seed.  The other Big East team in the projected field is of course UCONN who is predicted to get a 1 seed.

Marquette remains 2nd in the Big East NET rankings at 37 (UCONN has a NET ranking of 1) and DePaul is 3rd in the Big East NET rankings at 61.

Big game Wednesday at DePaul at 4P central on Flohoops.  A win over DePaul would help Marquette's tourney resume and help them finish higher in the BE.  Plus it's always nice to beat DePaul :).  Go Marquette!!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #385 on: February 23, 2021, 09:21:06 PM »
What is Flohoops?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #386 on: February 23, 2021, 09:44:08 PM »
What is Flohoops?

The subscription site they moved to this year for the Big East Digital Network for Women’s Basketball.  All the conference games had been broadcast online for free the last five seasons or so but not this year :(

MU82

• All American
« Reply #387 on: February 23, 2021, 09:50:40 PM »
The subscription site they moved to this year for the Big East Digital Network for Women’s Basketball.  All the conference games had been broadcast online for free the last five seasons or so but not this year :(.

Thanks.

Go Marquette!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #388 on: February 24, 2021, 10:44:22 AM »
Is there a free trial to this streaming service for tonight's game?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #389 on: February 24, 2021, 11:51:10 AM »
Is there a free trial to this streaming service for tonight's game?

I don’t recall them offering one.  I googled it and results seem to indicate they don’t offer a free trial.  I think they just have monthly and yearly rates unfortunately.

MU keeps asking for me to donate my season ticket money - well my season ticket money went to paying for my subscription to this so I could watch a lot of their games this year....

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #390 on: February 24, 2021, 04:50:24 PM »
It's tied at 33 at halftime but I feel like Marquette should be leading in this one.  DePaul only shot 1-10 from 3 point land in the first half and I don't expect that to continue in the second half - they're usually a pretty good outside shooting team.  Marquette had 5 turnovers early but they have 8 at the half which isn't the worst.  They'll need to limit turnovers in the second half.  They were never the greatest outside shooting team but MU has really struggled with that the last few games and that is continuing today with no made 3's in the first half.  It also feels like they've missed a lot of bunnies so far today.

Here's hoping they can put together a great second half...

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #391 on: February 24, 2021, 05:53:16 PM »
Marquette 85 DePaul 71 Final.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #392 on: February 24, 2021, 05:57:35 PM »
Well that was a fun 2nd half :).  Marquette will finish no worse than 2nd place in the Big East.  They technically could still tie UCONN but with UCONN facing Creighton and Butler in their next two games I really don't see that happening - once UCONN wins another game they wrap up the outright league title.

Marquette finishes the regular season at UCONN on Monday in a game that will be on CBS Sports Network.

This was a nice win for MU.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #393 on: February 24, 2021, 08:46:00 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #394 on: February 24, 2021, 08:58:16 PM »
Congrats to the ladies. Great day/night for Marquette hoops!

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #395 on: February 24, 2021, 09:04:12 PM »
Congrats to the ladies. Great day/night for Marquette hoops!

Yes it was and I'm reliving it by watching a replay of the MU-DePaul game now :).  Missed some of the 4th quarter for my daughter's conference - thank goodness for zoom though so it limited how much game time I missed :).

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #396 on: February 25, 2021, 03:33:02 PM »
Big congrats to the women’s team.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #397 on: February 26, 2021, 08:30:54 PM »
Charlie Creme of ESPN updated his bracketology today and Marquette remained an 8 seed as they've been for a bit.  DePaul had dropped to an 8 seed after their loss to Creighton and has now dropped to a 9 seed after their loss to Marquette.  Seton Hall and Villanova are listed in the next four out:

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #398 on: February 27, 2021, 02:42:08 PM »
In former women's hoops news, Krystal Ellis is a WIAA basketball ref and got picked to officiate the Division 1 girls title game this week. 

https://journaltimes.com/sports/high-school/high-school-girls-basketball-st-catherines-graduate-krystal-ellis-earns-coveted-assignment/article_659a0ade-a415-5c33-917f-31efdfa314ed.html

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #399 on: February 27, 2021, 06:08:34 PM »
In former women's hoops news, Krystal Ellis is a WIAA basketball ref and got picked to officiate the Division 1 girls title game this week. 

https://journaltimes.com/sports/high-school/high-school-girls-basketball-st-catherines-graduate-krystal-ellis-earns-coveted-assignment/article_659a0ade-a415-5c33-917f-31efdfa314ed.html

Thanks for sharing the article.  I didn't realize Krystal Ellis was working as a referee now.  It sounds like she's really enjoying being a ref and that's cool that she got picked to work the D1 Championship game.  It'd be cool to see her working in college some day.  I remember seeing Ellis coach a Milwaukee Aces game a number of years ago when I took my daughter to see Sarina Simmons play for the Aces (Simmons had always been her favorite player).