[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 136493 times)

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #350 on: February 05, 2021, 04:51:19 PM »
IIRC someone indicated that the Women's game is using Net rankings. What margin would be considered a "win" for Net purposes?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #351 on: February 05, 2021, 05:20:59 PM »
IIRC someone indicated that the Women's game is using Net rankings. What margin would be considered a "win" for Net purposes?

I'm not sure about the margin part but yes they are using the NET rankings for the first time this season - UCONN and Marquette are the top two BE teams in the NET at 2 and 39:  https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-women/d1/ncaa-womens-basketball-net-rankings

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #352 on: February 05, 2021, 06:04:37 PM »
Stream? Link to stream? Channel? PPV?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #353 on: February 05, 2021, 06:10:44 PM »
Connecticut at Marquette is free on the Fox Sports App. Or the Fox Now App.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #354 on: February 05, 2021, 06:16:20 PM »
Connecticut at Marquette is free on the Fox Sports App. Or the Fox Now App.

It’s in SNY if you have that.  I’m watching it in the Fox Sports app myself.

• All American
« Reply #355 on: February 05, 2021, 07:07:19 PM »
Did they lose the video?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #356 on: February 05, 2021, 07:20:55 PM »
Did they lose the video?

I've had video the whole time via the Fox Sports app.

• All American
« Reply #357 on: February 05, 2021, 07:28:39 PM »
Yeah thanks. It came back. I'm sure it was my error. Bueckers is phenomenal.

• All American
« Reply #358 on: February 06, 2021, 07:46:46 AM »
I sure hope Selena Lott finds her offensive game back before tomorrow. We didn't have a chance last night with her stone cold and Bueckers en fuego.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #359 on: February 06, 2021, 09:39:36 AM »
It's a good opportunity to see what Marquette needs to compete at a higher level moving forward. Recruiting, development, scheme. Have to keep trying to close the gap against better teams.

With UConn's current team, there have been two ways to try to defeat them.

Arkansas defeated them with athletic guards, spacing, elite three point shooting, and, when UConn over played the three, Arkansas tool their defenders off of the bounce, and won a high scoring shootout. UConn's scorers got their points but they didn't defend well enough.

Tennessee lost a close game a different way. They pounded the offensive boards, defended the perimeter and UConn shot poorly. UConn adjusted, went inside and pulled out the win.

It will be interesting to see how they match up with South Carolina next week. The Gamecocks will be physical with Bueckers.

Teams that have been successful with DePaul have been able to absorb and match their fast pace and quickness, while also dominating inside. This is why they had lopsided losses to Louisville and twice to UConn. Length, ability to alter shots and defend against speed, and match scoring. But DePaul has also pushed top 10-15 teams playing this way, running and pushing with five guards. And they have done it at times by getting into the lane.

Marquette will need to control the boards, close out well, and know when to do so without overplaying and giving up the lane, by making DePaul knock down deeper shots, as MU doesn't have their quickness and athleticism.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #360 on: February 07, 2021, 01:03:38 PM »
Damn well it was an admirable effort, and I feel comfortable saying we're on their level.
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #361 on: February 07, 2021, 05:58:18 PM »
It was a terrific game to watch with a not so hot ending. Missed a couple of Jamal Cain-ish open threes at the end there that would have really helped. Coach Duffy has the team well positioned for continued success. Loved the lob passes to the bigs down low. Hope the men's team was paying attention to those.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #362 on: February 07, 2021, 06:42:45 PM »
Sure.

First, Bruno is a good coach and has done a great job at DePaul for decades. They are a top 25 caliber team (bottom half) often that makes the NCAA's and gets a win or two. They have had great consistency over a long period of time. This is a level that Marquette can aspire to more often.

As for the matchup. DePaul wants to get out and run, speed up tempo, and play in the 80's and 90's. They produce lots of fast break baskets, and force lots of turnovers. They are not a strong rebounding team. Streaky 3 point shooting. They get as much as half of their points in transition.

DePaul is battle tested having played Texas A&M, Kentucky, Louisville, UConn etc ...

MU will need to control tempo, get good spacing, get to the FT line, play inside out, limit turnovers, Limit transition, and eat the glass.

Where DePaul has struggled are with teams that can defend their perimeter players with length and lateral quickness. ...while at the same time controlling the paint. Those are the elite of elite teams. But DePaul has been every bit as good as some top 10-15 teams thus far.

Bekeljia is much improved. Rogers is a nice Frosh. I would go at Morris and try to get her in foul trouble. She'll get her steals and she'll force turnovers. She is a difference maker for them. DePaul doesn't have a lot of depth. Bench points have been hard to find for DePaul. I'd also force non-rythm 3's.

Stonewall was a big graduating loss for DePaul. They don't really have a similar player. But they are filling that by group.

DePaul is a good test for Marquette.

Revisiting DePaul discussion.

Game was the 80’s/90’s that DePaul prefers with tempo, transition. DePaul forced its turnovers, but, committing many of their own helped neutralize that a little bit. 25 fast break points and 25 points off of turnovers.

Van Kleunen with a big game inside for Marquette. Offensively, Marquette played the way it wants to play, inside out. King helping the scoring and solid from Taylor. 

Close game that could have gone either way late. Morris is a really good player, Bekeljia continues her strong season. A couple of difference makers for me were rebounding and Deja Church for DePaul. Career high for her. Marquette really needed to differentiate itself a little more rebounding the basketball.

A few more made 3’s, a few more trips to the line, a few less turnovers, all you need to do is pick one category and it could have put MU over the top for a win. They’ll get another opportunity at DePaul.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #363 on: February 08, 2021, 10:28:39 PM »
UConn survived South Carolina in Overtime 63-59.

Paige Bueckers had 31 and all of UConn's points end of game and in OT.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #364 on: February 09, 2021, 12:06:04 AM »
UConn survived South Carolina in Overtime 63-59.

Paige Bueckers had 31 and all of UConn's points end of game and in OT.

Stunned to hear that Bueckers is first UConn player ever with three straight 30-point games.

I mean, think of all the stars they’ve had!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #365 on: February 09, 2021, 01:07:38 AM »
Stunned to hear that Bueckers is first UConn player ever with three straight 30-point games.

She’s absolutely unreal. But UCONN lost their 2 leading scorers from last year, and I think it offered an opportunity for her to fill it up.

She’s so much fun to watch.  I don’t mean know how to phrase it without coming off sexist, cause that’s not my intent, but her game mirrors top male college/NBA players in her shot structure and movement, as opposed to other top female players. Watching some of Louisville/ND over the weekend, a lot of their top shooters have shorter jumps and punchy shooting motions, where as Bueckers really rises up and shoots from a higher release. I feel like watching Taurasi at her age was similar.

She’s gonna be an absolute menace the next couple years

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #366 on: February 09, 2021, 04:26:32 AM »
Yeah, she's a white Markus Howard, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #367 on: February 09, 2021, 07:56:04 AM »

She is just incredible to watch as a frosh - she will be fun to watch the next few years.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #368 on: February 09, 2021, 08:53:47 AM »
She’s absolutely unreal. But UCONN lost their 2 leading scorers from last year, and I think it offered an opportunity for her to fill it up.

She’s so much fun to watch.  I don’t mean know how to phrase it without coming off sexist, cause that’s not my intent, but her game mirrors top male college/NBA players in her shot structure and movement, as opposed to other top female players. Watching some of Louisville/ND over the weekend, a lot of their top shooters have shorter jumps and punchy shooting motions, where as Bueckers really rises up and shoots from a higher release. I feel like watching Taurasi at her age was similar.

She’s gonna be an absolute menace the next couple years

She is only a freshman and she looks younger than that. Some of the shots she took were unreal. Made numerous very nice floaters, which is a must shot for any undersized player these days, and even threw in a couple of hook shots. Impressive.

Good call on her shooting form. The best player on the HS team I assistant coached, now a D1 player, developed more of a rise-up jumper like you're talking about, too. Our coach worked with her tirelessly on it, and she dedicated herself to it, too. And now she's a scholarship athlete.

She ain't no Paige Bueckers, though!

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #369 on: February 15, 2021, 08:54:04 AM »
Jordan King was named to the Big East Honor Roll this week.

Creighton upset Seton Hall on Saturday which helps MU.

As of now, MU only has 4 remaining regular season games - home to Villanova and Creighton and at DePaul and UCONN.  I’m guessing the games they missed against Xavier and Seton Hall at the end of January aren’t going to be rescheduled at this point. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #370 on: February 15, 2021, 09:14:07 AM »
A young woman I assistant coached when she was in HS recently moved into Austin Peay's starting lineup, and she is playing great!

Last 5 games, Shy Booker is shooting 68% and averaging 9 boards. Makes me feel real good seeing things like that! Very proud of the hard work she's put in.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #371 on: February 15, 2021, 06:06:03 PM »
A young woman I assistant coached when she was in HS recently moved into Austin Peay's starting lineup, and she is playing great!

Last 5 games, Shy Booker is shooting 68% and averaging 9 boards. Makes me feel real good seeing things like that! Very proud of the hard work she's put in.

Let's go Peay!
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #372 on: February 15, 2021, 06:09:43 PM »
They are a relentless machine.   I can only hope someone stands up to Peay
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #373 on: February 15, 2021, 06:10:06 PM »
Ewe furst, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #374 on: February 15, 2021, 06:18:31 PM »
Let's go Peay!

When she said she had chosen Peay, I asked her if she had heard about the old Fly Williams cheer. She hadn't. Laughed her arse off when I told her.