[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 136492 times)

Warriors4ever

• All American
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #325 on: January 30, 2021, 09:11:58 PM »
Really glad to see them doing well, and congrats to Selena Lott!

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #326 on: February 01, 2021, 10:48:50 AM »
Selena Lott made the Big East honor roll again this week.

They start 4 games in 7 days today with a game at Creighton at 2P.   They really need to take care of business today and at Georgetown on Wednesday with UCONN and DePaul coming to town later this week.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #327 on: February 01, 2021, 11:04:16 AM »
Selena Lott made the Big East honor roll again this week.

They start 4 games in 7 days today with a game at Creighton at 2P.   They really need to take care of business today and at Georgetown on Wednesday with UCONN and DePaul coming to town later this week.

If we split the Depaul series are we looking at a spot in the tournament? I know before UConn the BE was usually a two team league would it be a three team league now?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #328 on: February 01, 2021, 06:47:14 PM »
If we split the Depaul series are we looking at a spot in the tournament? I know before UConn the BE was usually a two team league would it be a three team league now?

Marquette could probably get swept by DePaul and still make the Tournament.  But it would definitely help if they could beat them at home and beat all the other Big East teams not named UCONN.  The BE before UCONN could sometimes get 3-4 teams so it wouldn't be super unusual to have 3 BE teams in the tournament this year.  Charlie Creme of ESPN had MU as a 10 seed in his last update and a prediction on NCAA.com had MU as an 11 seed and one of the last 4 in - both updates were on Tue. 1/26 before MU beat Villanova.  I personally think MU is better than one of the last 4 in. 

They are using NET for the first time this season for Women's Basketball and Marquette is the 2nd highest rated BE team at 38 behind UCONN of course who is 2nd.  Seton Hall at 57, DePaul at 58 and Villanova at 69 are other BE teams in the top 100 of the NET.  This is through yesterday's games.

Marquette is now 11-2 overall and 8-1 in the conference - DePaul and Seton Hall are just behind them at 6-2.  DePaul's only 2 conference losses are to UCONN.  Marquette may not get a chance to avenge their loss at Seton Hall - their home game vs. Seton Hall was canceled due to a contact tracing pause for Seton Hall and I'm not sure there will be any room in the schedule to reschedule that game or a game vs. Xavier that was canceled for this past Saturday. 

With today's game they have now played 13 games - the minimum required to be eligible for this year's NCAA Tournament.

Today wasn't the prettiest of games but Cam Taylor had one terrific game with 27 points on 12 of 14 shooting and they got the W which is great to see.  I especially like getting the W when Lott and LVK combine to shoot 4 of 20 from the field.  They now travel to DC to face a bad Georgetown team Wednesday afternoon before coming home to face UCONN and DePaul this weekend.

I love Cam Taylor's game but she has got to eliminate the dumb fouls so she can stay on the court more.   They pulled a 'Taylor swap' :) less than a minute into today's game taking Cam Taylor out of the game after she picked up an early foul and replacing her with Taylor Valladay and Cam Taylor didn't come back into the game until the start of the 2nd quarter.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 06:49:14 PM by Marquette Fan »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #329 on: February 02, 2021, 08:33:33 PM »
UCONN is a 1 seed, DePaul a 7 seed and Marquette a 9 seed in Charlie Creme's latest Bracketology:  http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

Normally a 9 is one you want to avoid in Women's Basketball with the prospect of playing a 1 seed on their home court looming in the 2nd round.  However, they may go to a one site bubble location this year also (haven't heard an announcement for sure about this for the Women yet).

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #330 on: February 03, 2021, 08:34:10 PM »
Super ugly game today and Marquette was very lucky to escape with a win over a very bad Georgetown team.  But at least they got the W :).  They are 2-0 for the week and I think they really need to go 3-1 - Friday they host UCONN and Sunday they host DePaul.  Realistically I think they have no shot against UCONN so hoping they can beat DePaul on Sunday.

I'm also hoping Selena Lott is ok - she seemed to hurt something early in today's game (couldn't tell if it was her ankle or something else) and ended up 0-11 from the field but she also had a poor shooting game at Creighton so maybe she's just off the last couple games.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #331 on: February 05, 2021, 06:49:58 AM »
The next two games are on TV - vs. UCONN tonight on SNY (also available via the Fox Sports app - that's how I get it via YouTubeTV) at 6P central and vs. DePaul at 11A central on Sunday on FS1.

Tonight is likely to be ugly so I'm looking more to the DePaul game as one they need to win.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #332 on: February 05, 2021, 08:16:47 AM »
The next two games are on TV - vs. UCONN tonight on SNY (also available via the Fox Sports app - that's how I get it via YouTubeTV) at 6P central and vs. DePaul at 11A central on Sunday on FS1.

Tonight is likely to be ugly so I'm looking more to the DePaul game as one they need to win.

Just curious, what's a margin to keep it to that should be our goal? 25?
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #333 on: February 05, 2021, 08:20:17 AM »

Winning the game is the goal.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #334 on: February 05, 2021, 08:23:36 AM »
Winning the game is the goal.

No $hit shirlock, I'm asking what's a reasonable margins to expect given that nobody in the conference has come within 28 of them.
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #335 on: February 05, 2021, 08:42:47 AM »
No $hit shirlock, I'm asking what's a reasonable margins to expect given that nobody in the conference has come within 28 of them.

Again, the goal is to win the game. There is no other desired outcome of the result of the game.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #336 on: February 05, 2021, 08:44:10 AM »
Again, the goal is to win the game. There is no other desired outcome of the result of the game.

::)
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #337 on: February 05, 2021, 08:53:23 AM »

Yeah that would probably be a pretty good margin.

And yes I know the team's goal is to win the game but as a fan I honestly don't see that happening especially with how much they struggled to beat a very bad Georgetown team on Wednesday.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #338 on: February 05, 2021, 10:07:43 AM »

They just smoked DePaul by 35. Staying close would be a near miracle and welcomed with open arms.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #339 on: February 05, 2021, 10:11:02 AM »
They just smoked DePaul by 35. Staying close would be a near miracle and welcomed with open arms.

Nope there is no other desired outcome. Even when in the pregame show Duffy said she looks forward to having a measuring stick of how the team is no matter what the score is there is no other mindset.
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #340 on: February 05, 2021, 10:51:56 AM »
Let's just not play the game. Let's call UConn and the League Office and say thanks but no thanks. Let's cancel the rest of the league games too. Why bother playing a season at all? We can get them into the C league at the Rec and they can work their way up to A League. Or perhaps they can get a Noon Ball game with the Men's coaches?

Keeping it close, let's try to lose by less than 25? What kind of sets will they run to lose by less than 25?  Maybe just make some calls and see if Christ The King Girls need a game?

Or maybe, just maybe, they can prepare and play to win the game....even against good and great teams and see what happens. Great opportunities  for dubs this weekend against strong teams.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #341 on: February 05, 2021, 10:57:01 AM »
Let's just not play the game. Let's call UConn and the League Office and say thanks but no thanks. Let's cancel the rest of the league games too. Why bother playing a season at all? We can get them into the C league at the Rec and they can work their way up to A League. Or perhaps they can get a Noon Ball game with the Men's coaches?

Keeping it close, let's try to lose by less than 25? What kind of sets will they run to lose by less than 25?  Maybe just make some calls and see if Christ The King Girls need a game?

Or maybe, just maybe, they can prepare and play to win the game....even against good and great teams and see what happens. Great opportunities  for dubs this weekend against strong teams.

There's a difference between accepting the reality that UConn is hands down above our level but we can hope to compete with Depaul vs your reaction to canceling the season.

Also which Christ the King? Because there's three between Milwaukee and Chicago.
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #342 on: February 05, 2021, 11:37:12 AM »
There's a difference between accepting the reality that UConn is hands down above our level but we can hope to compete with Depaul vs your reaction to canceling the season.

Also which Christ the King? Because there's three between Milwaukee and Chicago.

I was thinking Middle Village, Queens.

But otherwise there's one in Tosa, or even the Jesuit school in Chicago or some others. What's a good result? losing by 15?

« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 11:47:16 AM by shoothoops »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #343 on: February 05, 2021, 11:48:58 AM »
Realistically I have seen nothing so far this season to show me that Marquette has a realistic shot at beating UCONN.  Do I think they're going to go out and battle hard and try to win?  Yes but UCONN is so much better than Marquette to begin with and MU hasn't played super well in their last two games either. 

I hope Marquette plays well tonight - more like they did at Villanova than the last two games and is in good position to try to knock off DePaul Sunday.  I don't know that any margin really helps one way or another.  They are in a tough stretch this week with games at Creighton Mon and at Georgetown Wed, this game tonight and DePaul is a pretty quick turnaround with that game at 11AM Sunday.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #344 on: February 05, 2021, 11:57:52 AM »
Realistically I have seen nothing so far this season to show me that Marquette has a realistic shot at beating UCONN.  Do I think they're going to go out and battle hard and try to win?  Yes but UCONN is so much better than Marquette to begin with and MU hasn't played super well in their last two games either. 

I hope Marquette plays well tonight - more like they did at Villanova than the last two games and is in good position to try to knock off DePaul Sunday.  I don't know that any margin really helps one way or another.  They are in a tough stretch this week with games at Creighton Mon and at Georgetown Wed, this game tonight and DePaul is a pretty quick turnaround with that game at 11AM Sunday.

I support and follow Women's basketball. Thus, I am aware of the landscape macro and micro.

But I will never adhere to the idea that you can't win a game, regardless of challenge or difficulty, and/or discuss what would be a good margin of defeat,...as a player, coach, fan, viewer, attendee. You have to have a belief and mindset that you will win a game (assuming talent, preparation etc) or you have already lost before you started. I'd rather raise the level of play, rise to the occasion, than lower the level of expectation. Maybe MUWBB wins, maybe they lose by 100, but the expectation is to go out and win the game, every game.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #345 on: February 05, 2021, 12:04:49 PM »
I support and follow Women's basketball. Thus, I am aware of the landscape macro and micro.

But I will never adhere to the idea that you can't win a game, regardless of challenge or difficulty, and/or discuss what would be a good margin of defeat,...as a player, coach, fan, viewer, attendee. You have to have a belief and mindset that you will win a game (assuming talent, preparation etc) or you have already lost before you started. I'd rather raise the level of play, rise to the occasion, than lower the level of expectation. Maybe MUWBB wins, maybe they lose by 100, but the expectation is to go out and win the game, every game.

And that's how you feel.  I personally don't think it makes me any less a fan because I think they can't beat UCONN.  I wasn't one who said a certain margin would make it better - I responded to a question about that.  I've been following this team closely since I went to Marquette which was ten million years ago and I will always support them.  But when I take an honest look at this I don't see how they can beat UCONN.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #346 on: February 05, 2021, 12:18:10 PM »
And that's how you feel.  I personally don't think it makes me any less a fan because I think they can't beat UCONN.  I wasn't one who said a certain margin would make it better - I responded to a question about that.  I've been following this team closely since I went to Marquette which was ten million years ago and I will always support them.  But when I take an honest look at this I don't see how they can beat UCONN.

I know you didn't mention margin. And I didn't question your nor anyone else's fandom. Your fandom is well known in this thread.

For me, as long as UConn (or anyone else) is on the schedule, in the league, the goal is getting a win.

Whether it's Women or Men's Basketball, or a different sport, etc...I would rather try to raise the level of play, and level of expectation to match peers, than expect a loss and hope to be pleasantly surprised. 

Anything other than winning by one or more points would be disappointing. It's okay to expect to win and be disappointed if you don't. And if they don't win, analyzing, breaking down the why, a plan to improve, commences. But let's try to get a dub first. It's certainly a big challenge, which makes it all the more fun.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #347 on: February 05, 2021, 12:28:43 PM »
This is up there with wade’s “the next game is the most important game.” I think we can understand that us talking as fans is a bit different than the mindset of the actual team.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #348 on: February 05, 2021, 02:34:43 PM »
This is up there with wade’s “the next game is the most important game.” I think we can understand that us talking as fans is a bit different than the mindset of the actual team.

Agreed. Not sure why a simple question was meant with some absurd coachspeak and acting like realistic expectations as a fan will ever reflected in Duffy’s approach and coaching.

Arkansas loss aside, where Arkansas was absurdly tough, did EVERYTHING right down the stretch at home and still just snuck by, UCONN is only getting better as the season progresses. DePaul was actually playing them tough and the UCONN put 32 on them in the 3rd quarter and just battered them. Bueckers is terrifying and she’s still not completely asserting herself like she eventually will.

“Expecting a win and being disappointed if not” or “the goal is to win” as a fan is delusional at best, a condescending contrarian to a legit reasonable question at worst.

It will be a great measuring stick and will likely make the team better as a whole, provided they stay competitive for long stretches, but anyone outside of the corridors of the Al who is expecting or “preparing” for a win until the outcome is decided on the floor needs to have their head examined.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #349 on: February 05, 2021, 04:18:21 PM »
Agreed. Not sure why a simple question was meant with some absurd coachspeak and acting like realistic expectations as a fan will ever reflected in Duffy’s approach and coaching.

Arkansas loss aside, where Arkansas was absurdly tough, did EVERYTHING right down the stretch at home and still just snuck by, UCONN is only getting better as the season progresses. DePaul was actually playing them tough and the UCONN put 32 on them in the 3rd quarter and just battered them. Bueckers is terrifying and she’s still not completely asserting herself like she eventually will.

“Expecting a win and being disappointed if not” or “the goal is to win” as a fan is delusional at best, a condescending contrarian to a legit reasonable question at worst.

It will be a great measuring stick and will likely make the team better as a whole, provided they stay competitive for long stretches, but anyone outside of the corridors of the Al who is expecting or “preparing” for a win until the outcome is decided on the floor needs to have their head examined.

Nah.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 04:23:52 PM by shoothoops »

feedback