[Today at 11:41:46 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[Today at 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Are we capable of pressing?  (Read 3976 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Are we capable of pressing?
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2021, 09:25:54 AM »
I hate to admit, I was jacked seeing Shaka on the sidelines and have complete confidence he will succeed at a high level at MU.

Why do you hate to admit it, Goose?

Otherwise, I agree with your post. This will be a work in progress, with some ugly results. Here's hoping they have some things figured out by midseason.

Last night Creighton won by 13, X by 3, Butler by 9, Prov by 7. Several of the teams were down in the 2nd half. Certainly the final score is irrelevant. I'm sure none of these teams are happy with their performance vs. a far inferior opponent. The point is these games pad the schedule and allow learning, experience and coaching points.

This. I know we're an instant-gratification society, but last night's games all around the country show that's easier said than done.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2021, 09:27:22 AM »
Here's the thing after thinking about it a little more.  We do have enough athleticism and length to press.  Obviously it is a work in progress but I assume it will get better.  What I'm unsure about is our quickness on the ball and if we can play with physicality without fouling?

To reiterate what another poster wrote we need to find a way to harness our energy.  These guys were all over the place and generally balls to the wall on the defensive end. There is also no rule that I know of that you have to play like Speedy Gonzales every possession, never change speed or direction, and refuse to utilize the shot fake.  Our footwork and patience need to be monumentally better.  Attack with forethought and precision. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2021, 10:25:35 AM »

I meant to say, I have to admit to being jacked to see Shaka on our sideline.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2021, 12:24:33 PM »
Absolutely.    The team played with energy and passion.   Attacked on both ends.   Shared the ball.    Those are the bedrocks to be built on.   
As the team gets more experienced, they will better understand how to defend without getting called for a foul.   
They will better understand where their help is.   
They will close out under control better.   
When their defense creates offense, I hope they start driving to the basket rather than immediately jacking up a 3.   Lots of opportunities missed with that last night.   
Rebounding needs to be addressed.

I agree with this. Many of us - including me - have said one of the main things we want to see this season is a team that improves as the season progresses. I hope that they do and have no reason to believed that they won’t. Shaka needs to keep doing his job and they team needs to keep working and getting better every day.

Personally, I think that if Shaka abandons the system that they’ve been working on this preseason because they did not execute they way we’d like (and I suspect they way they’d like) then we’re screwed. This team will not improve if the coach changes systems every time they struggle. I want this team to improve. Improvement comes from work — including struggle.

Work. Struggle. Work some more. Improve. That’s what I want to see from this team.

I think Shaka was the right hire. If he opts to abandon his system based on last night’s game, I would view that as a huge red flag that I was wrong.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 01:58:14 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2021, 12:28:50 PM »
Work. Struggle. Work some more. Improve. That’s what I want to see from this team.

You want to see the struggle???

I kid, and I generally agree that's what I expect.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2021, 01:52:34 PM »

I meant to say, I have to admit to being jacked to see Shaka on our sideline.

Ah. That's very different. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm glad we have Shaka, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback