Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Too Much To Ask?  (Read 5219 times)

MUBigDance

• All American
Too Much To Ask?
« on: November 17, 2018, 04:05:51 PM »
Given the IU disaster and dissonance for 3/4 of the PC game, My expectations have dropped considerably.

So is it too much to ask that for these next two games we win 2 out of the 4 halves and not lose any half by more than 9 points?

What I want is 2 wins but is the above too low or high a bar?

Prior to IU, I expected no less than 1 win and had a real hope for 2. No more.

What are Scoopers expecting this week besides Turkey and Stuffing?

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Too Much To Ask?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 04:12:31 PM »
Given the IU disaster and dissonance for 3/4 of the PC game, My expectations have dropped considerably.

So is it too much to ask that for these next two games we win 2 out of the 4 halves and not lose any half by more than 9 points?

What I want is 2 wins but is the above too low or high a bar?

Prior to IU, I expected no less than 1 win and had a real hope for 2. No more.

What are Scoopers expecting this week besides Turkey and Stuffing?

I'm definitely not expecting to keep track of half wins and losses.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 04:12:38 PM »
If chart plays the point and Markus plays the 2 I think MU will be fine. Proven that today in the 2nd half.

Now will Wojo realize this like he should have last year when rowsey/Howard could not be in together, well find out.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 04:13:39 PM »
I think we'll be more competitive with Kansas than we were with IU. Of the three teams we may face, Tennessee scares me the most. I'm still expecting 1-1. Just not sure which 1 it will be.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 04:23:22 PM »
I'm expecting a shellacking by Kansas. Then I'm expecting a comfortable win and hopefully a shellacking of Louisville by us.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 04:53:54 PM »
I'm expecting a shellacking by Kansas. Then I'm expecting a comfortable win and hopefully a shellacking of Louisville by us.

Year 5 of the magic power point and we’ve come so far so as to expect to be shellacked by the Number 1 team in college hoops?

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 05:06:54 PM »
Unless we have some super secret defensive plan undivulged in 5+ years, Kansas will be way too fast for us.   But I am hoping we can rain down threes on their parade and be competitive.   Chartouny May have to be guarded now.   

Good Marquette. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 08:52:17 PM »
Year 5 of the magic power point and we’ve come so far so as to expect to be shellacked by the Number 1 team in college hoops?

Yes. 99% of teams expect to get shellacked by the #1 team in College Hoops on a neutral court. I suppose it depends on your definition of shellacked but there aren't many teams that wouldn't be double digit dogs to Kansas on a neutral court.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 10:29:06 PM »
Yes. 99% of teams expect to get shellacked by the #1 team in College Hoops on a neutral court. I suppose it depends on your definition of shellacked but there aren't many teams that wouldn't be double digit dogs to Kansas on a neutral court.

A quick glance at Pomeroy tells me that one team (Duke) would be favored on a neutral court vs Kansas and about 25 would be single digit underdogs.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 12:15:13 AM »
A quick glance at Pomeroy tells me that one team (Duke) would be favored on a neutral court vs Kansas and about 25 would be single digit underdogs.

That means 93% would be double digit underdogs, pretty close to the 99% the other fella said.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 12:23:56 AM »
I think we'll be more competitive with Kansas than we were with IU. Of the three teams we may face, Tennessee scares me the most. I'm still expecting 1-1. Just not sure which 1 it will be.

This is at out dumb. Kansas might be the must talented team in all of college basketball.

You love saying stuff like this thar makes MU look better, but its always a million miles off. Learn to accept reality dude.

Kansas is a super talented team. No ifs, and or buts about it. If we hang with them, that means something. Anyone trying to say that Presbyterian is talented is just lying to themselves. But here we are, as a ranked team, with guys saying that being down to Presbyterian in the second half is just fine as long as we win.

We arent impressive now. Our film is awful. Wojo is well behind the curve. Anyone who is patient and just happy with a win today has low standards. This is embarrassing. We should be steamrolling these buy teams. Instead  we're giving them highlight reel material.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 12:35:46 AM »
This is at out dumb. Kansas might be the must talented team in all of college basketball.

You love saying stuff like this thar makes MU look better, but its always a million miles off. Learn to accept reality dude.

Kansas is a super talented team. No ifs, and or buts about it. If we hang with them, that means something. Anyone trying to say that Presbyterian is talented is just lying to themselves. But here we are, as a ranked team, with guys saying that being down to Presbyterian in the second half is just fine as long as we win.

We arent impressive now. Our film is awful. Wojo is well behind the curve. Anyone who is patient and just happy with a win today has low standards. This is embarrassing. We should be steamrolling these buy teams. Instead  we're giving them highlight reel material.

C'mon...half of last year's FinalFour (Loyola and Villanova) lost this past week to Furman....FURMAN?! Yet, oh the horrors of a team, gasp, down in the second half to a lesser opponent!! C'mon man, you usually post up solid..you are smarter than this.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 12:52:09 AM »

I will leave the game preview analysis to PaintTouches...you guys do a great job, but there's a little article in the local Lawrence newspaper about how Kansas is struggling to defend good 3-point shooting teams. How their bigs seem to over-hedge ball screens and are then slow to close-out on  shooters. We need to exploit this with the emergence of Chart's 3-ball game to complement both Hausers', Markus's, and Jamal's prowess from deep. I think the Jayhawks are absolutely beatable on a neutral floor. The line may not reflect this. If we get more than 8 or 9 from them, run to your local William Hill.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 12:56:15 AM »
Kansas is a super talented team. No ifs, and or buts about it. If we hang with them, that means something.

Louisiana-Lafayette "hung" with Kansas today, only down 4 at half, and only losing by 13.  I'm expecting a better result than that from MU.

Kansas has uber-scary talent, and by the end of the year will likely be uber-scary to face.  But this coming week - I see them at beatable. 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 07:11:51 AM »
Way to prove his point!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 10:04:37 AM »

It's a million miles off to think we will be within 23 points of Kansas? Or that in November, a top-5 Tennessee team that returns everyone and starts all juniors and seniors scares me more than a top-5 Kansas team where half of their rotation are either freshmen or newcomers?

And as far as Presbyterian, I've been beating that drum for months. Frankly, I thought it'd be closer than it was (check the prediction thread). As far as steamrolling the buy games, we beat UMBC by 25 while playing terribly, beat Bethune-Cookman by 33, and Presbyterian by 19 despite trailing with less than 12 minutes to go. Are you expecting 50-point blowouts every night? Also, all of those margins were equal or greater than the amount we were projected to win by on Pomeroy, so again, not sure what you're whining about.

The Indiana game sucked. The turnovers suck. We need to improve a great deal to deliver on what the fanbase's expectations (and my own expectations) were for this year. But I'm not a baby who's going to throw all my toys out of the tub every time we don't win by 50.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 11:51:16 AM »
I will leave the game preview analysis to PaintTouches...you guys do a great job, but there's a little article in the local Lawrence newspaper about how Kansas is struggling to defend good 3-point shooting teams. How their bigs seem to over-hedge ball screens and are then slow to close-out on  shooters. We need to exploit this with the emergence of Chart's 3-ball game to complement both Hausers', Markus's, and Jamal's prowess from deep. I think the Jayhawks are absolutely beatable on a neutral floor. The line may not reflect this. If we get more than 8 or 9 from them, run to your local William Hill.

The problem is our 3pt shots are not falling in.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 12:25:12 PM »
It's a million miles off to think we will be within 23 points of Kansas? Or that in November, a top-5 Tennessee team that returns everyone and starts all juniors and seniors scares me more than a top-5 Kansas team where half of their rotation are either freshmen or newcomers?

And as far as Presbyterian, I've been beating that drum for months. Frankly, I thought it'd be closer than it was (check the prediction thread). As far as steamrolling the buy games, we beat UMBC by 25 while playing terribly, beat Bethune-Cookman by 33, and Presbyterian by 19 despite trailing with less than 12 minutes to go. Are you expecting 50-point blowouts every night? Also, all of those margins were equal or greater than the amount we were projected to win by on Pomeroy, so again, not sure what you're whining about.

The Indiana game sucked. The turnovers suck. We need to improve a great deal to deliver on what the fanbase's expectations (and my own expectations) were for this year. But I'm not a baby who's going to throw all my toys out of the tub every time we don't win by 50.

Too many facts

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2018, 01:33:57 PM »
Louisiana-Lafayette "hung" with Kansas today, only down 4 at half, and only losing by 13.  I'm expecting a better result than that from MU.

Kansas has uber-scary talent, and by the end of the year will likely be uber-scary to face.  But this coming week - I see them at beatable.

KU was looking ahead to MU.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 02:09:50 PM »
Lol. Personally,  I'd be pleased if we are within 25.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2018, 02:26:14 PM »

Perfect answer, Doc. Well played.
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid