[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Today’s Game Takeaways  (Read 3985 times)

CountryRoads

• All American
Today’s Game Takeaways
« on: November 17, 2018, 08:47:49 AM »
Like many here, I’ve been down on the team/wojo since the IU game. It’s been hard for me to get excited for today’s game as these games obviously don’t give us much insight into how good the team really is.

What are some things you would like to see in today’s game that would give you some confidence heading into the games next week?

IrwinFletcher

• All American
Re: Today’s Game Takeaways
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 08:51:55 AM »
1. I want to see Joe C play 20-25 minutes at the point.  Let him get comfortable and the only way to do that is some floor time.

2. Jamal.  Give him some more time as well.  He is likely our most athletic guy and longest guy.  Can help on D if his heart is into it.  Need him to take the next step in development.

3. I want to see Theo score in double figures. Pound the ball inside to him and let him continue to develop his post moves.  If he can develop into a threat, maybe that puts pressure on opponents big men and can draw some fouls. 

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 09:07:56 AM »
1. I want to see Joe C play 20-25 minutes at the point.  Let him get comfortable and the only way to do that is some floor time.

2. Jamal.  Give him some more time as well.  He is likely our most athletic guy and longest guy.  Can help on D if his heart is into it.  Need him to take the next step in development.

3. I want to see Theo score in double figures. Pound the ball inside to him and let him continue to develop his post moves.  If he can develop into a threat, maybe that puts pressure on opponents big men and can draw some fouls.

Yeah agree, especially #1 really need a first five minutes of mistake free ball handling.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 09:11:41 AM »
Besides PG play, I would like to see better "flow" to the offense than I have seen.  Really have yet to really get into a rhythm. 

I would like to see a more tightened rotation.  More Jamal and Ed.  Less Bailey. 

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 09:21:53 AM »
I’m hoping to see Morrow show some vital signs...

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 09:32:33 AM »
Yeah agree, especially #1 really need a first five minutes of mistake free ball handling.

We’ve come out slow in all four game so far (including Carroll).  I’d like to see us grab a 20-4 lead in the first five minutes and reverse the slow start trend

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 09:37:11 AM »
I think the team should bench Wojo and let Stan Coach. Give Wojo a game to think about it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 10:57:28 AM »
I'm in the minority thinking Presbyterian is better than most give them credit for. If we put them away early and decisively, I'll be impressed. I'll mainly be looking at defense. Can our bigs contain Francois Lewis inside while also guarding him to the arc? Can Howard keep Davon Bell from driving on him?

Offensively, can we get inside? Do we have better ball movement and offensive options that aren't named Howard or Hauser? Are we actively looking for guys like Cain & Anim or are they just late in the shot clock backup plans?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 01:38:23 PM »
I'm looking to be leading at half, and not 6 points down with 12 to play.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 02:00:14 PM »
I'm looking to be leading at half, and not 6 points down with 12 to play.

This glass is 1/2 empty mentality shall not stand. Lock this thread.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 02:01:13 PM »

1 - Check.  Let’s hope this gives him a springboard for the rest of the season.

2 - Not so much. He is too tall on defense and got caught up in switches.  First 3 was an air ball and had one roll out. confidence?

3 - Kind of.  Certainly had some looks and did some good things. Had a couple nice kick outs.  Need him to be a weapon.

I am hoping we start Wednesday the way we finished today.  JC, Markus, Sam, Joey and Theo.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 02:08:04 PM »
Wow. Didn’t get to watch the game yet and only saw the box score from the first half but it looks like Joe C came alive in the second half and filled the stat sheet, really happy for him and that has to give him a lot more confidence. Needs to take that into the Kansas game. Props to the guy. I was hoping Morrow would get a ton of minutes too, did he? Need him to get going as well. Presbyterian is a pretty bad team but it was important that they stepped it up after that terrible first half and I’m glad they did.

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 10:12:47 PM »
Wow. Didn’t get to watch the game yet and only saw the box score from the first half but it looks like Joe C came alive in the second half and filled the stat sheet, really happy for him and that has to give him a lot more confidence. Needs to take that into the Kansas game. Props to the guy. I was hoping Morrow would get a ton of minutes too, did he? Need him to get going as well. Presbyterian is a pretty bad team but it was important that they stepped it up after that terrible first half and I’m glad they did.
[/quote

Completely agree about Joe C. needing to take this confidence with him to Brooklyn but until he actually has a performance like he did today against competition like Kansas it’s hard to get excited about the team’s potential this year.  Porky for one has not bought into the hype about this season and thus far at least has been proven right.  It’s not that we lost at Indiana because we weren’t expected to win, It’s that we completely embarrassed ourselves on national television as a ranked team and proved that we  shouldn’t be anywhere near even getting “others receiving votes” let alone actually being ranked in the top 25.  Still on the fence about whether our coaching staff sucks or the players are just nowhere near as talented as we all would like them to be but either way it’s frustrating as hell.  Probably a combination of both. 

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 01:20:10 AM »

You can see in the post-game interview how relieved and happy JC was to get some shots to fall. Really good to see him emerge. When asked how hard it's been to adjust with the differences in Fordham's style of play to MU's, he said that on offense, he's focusing on staying in control while playing at a faster pace. It was interesting what he had to say about the defense....namely, that Wojo and the staff put less emphasis on disrupting passing lanes and gambling for steals than Fordham did. He basically called it more of a team or unit concept. I wonder if this has been even tougher for him, as he enjoyed more freedom to roam the perimeter lanes in the Bronx. I have heard from a reliable source that Chart is a great teammate, and a little like Matt...willing to do whatever it takes for us to win. 
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 07:57:05 AM »
Besides PG play, I would like to see better "flow" to the offense than I have seen.  Really have yet to really get into a rhythm. 

This....  and I would say they are almost one in the same.