collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Qdoba  (Read 14540 times)

muhoosier260

• All American
Qdoba
« on: June 02, 2008, 01:11:20 PM »
The marquette dining options will be expanding this summer...Qdoba will be replacing George Webb's in august. Webb's is just another dorm cafeteria, so it will be nice to see that replaced by qdoba.

spartan3186

• All American
Re: Qdoba
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 01:57:21 PM »
If true that is awesome. This also means MU can get another burger place on campus. I was told that MU and GW had an agreement when GW signed the lease that they would not allow another burger place on campus. With George Webb gone now I would assume that another burger place can come

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 02:32:50 PM »
wow, webb's went over like a fart in church.

congrats to Mu, they are no longer the only college in the US without a burrito joint.   :-[

jce

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 02:41:32 PM »
If true that is awesome. This also means MU can get another burger place on campus. I was told that MU and GW had an agreement when GW signed the lease that they would not allow another burger place on campus. With George Webb gone now I would assume that another burger place can come

Can they bring back Wales on Wells???

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 02:47:03 PM »

congrats to Mu, they are no longer the only college in the US without a burrito joint.   :-[

well there used to jose's - home of the burrita, which was on Wells.
But I like to throw handfuls...

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 03:32:54 PM »
 >:(  Now where am I gonna get my SuperGeorge-Hashbrown?  27th Street?

The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 04:04:41 PM »
Qdoba is wonderful, but it is no Chipotle.  The students at MU should make a push for a 5 Guys Burgers and Fries to be franchised on campus, if in fact the rumored MU-GW pact were true.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 05:04:45 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing a Whataburger on campus.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 05:16:44 PM »

Can they bring back Wales on Wells???

The guy who owned Wales lives across the street from me.  I'll ask him. 

At a minimum, he should whip you up some cheese fries.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 06:10:30 PM »
While I do agree Chipotle is better than Qdoba, this is both good and bad news.  I may need to work some OT to pay for the money I'm going to lose at Qdoba.

Me and my friends have said for years Qdoba or Chipotle should come to campus.  It should be a money maker.  There hasn't been a time I've gone to Chipotle (down by MSOE) and not seen at least 2 Marquette students.

Looks like OP's burrito bar just bit the dust.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 08:39:37 PM »

Have the double bean burrito at Qdoba and then go to church. EA could probably get away with it, though.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 08:42:13 PM »
I was critical of campus business back in the thread a few months ago, so I'll say this is a start.  I'll take Qdoba over George Webb any day.  Better place to go after the bar, better (and quicker) place to go when in a hurry, and when you have G-Webb's on one side there's no point in having a health debate.  Very few Marquette students go to the Qdoba in Grand Ave, since peak hours for campus restaurants are late night on weekends and quickly inbetween classes.

I'll agree that this might hurt OP's burrito business.  As I believe OP may be owned by the devil and refuse to give them any business, I say good.

As far as other restaurant choices, since we still could use another (and keeping the old OP location as an unnecessary and redundant "group meeting location" doesn't cut it for me), I wouldn't say no to Culver's or Arby's, but A&W would be my top pick if they want a fast food place.  I can't say anything for Five Guys since I've never been there, but it sounds like a place we would want too.  I also think Schlotzky's would be a good fit as it they a somewhat unique menu compared to what is on campus now and have a lot of food that doesn't clog arteries.  Fazoli's would also be a good choice, but I have a feeling they would run out of breadsticks when drunk kids come by if they stayed open late at night.  

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 09:16:34 PM »
I would love to see Sobleman's move their location to MU's campus. Greatest burger ever!

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 09:25:30 PM »
i would like to see a white castle on campus.  mmm and cheap

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 09:40:23 PM »
I would love to see Sobleman's move their location to MU's campus. Greatest burger ever!

It's not that long of a walk!! And with the remodeling and expansion they just completed it wont happen...also having that walk is probably a good thing considering the delicious greasiness of their burgers.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 12:33:59 AM »
Dave Sobelman was talking a couple years ago about opening just a burger place (no alcohol) in the open space on Wells by Murphs. That place would be jammed after games.

Qdoba... Meh. In the sport of burritos, it's Chipotle's JV.

MUPig

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 12:37:30 AM »
Other than Chili, the best drunk food was the chimichanga from Amigos.  Forget Qdoba - bring back Amigos!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 08:16:15 AM »
The last thing MU needs is another greasy burger joint on campus (Remember Louie D's anyone?) for the girls to get fat at.

My friends and I high fived each other when DQ left and Webbs opened.

I will miss Webb's because now there is no good breakfast place on campus (that I can remember).  I welcome Qdoba, but GW will be missed by me.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 08:24:37 AM »
The last thing MU needs is another greasy burger joint on campus (Remember Louie D's anyone?) for the girls to get fat at.

I will miss Webb's because now there is no good breakfast place on campus (that I can remember).  I welcome Qdoba, but GW will be missed by me.

Michaels.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 08:26:17 AM »
Qdoba is wonderful, but it is no Chipotle.  The students at MU should make a push for a 5 Guys Burgers and Fries to be franchised on campus, if in fact the rumored MU-GW pact were true.

5 Guys would be incredible to have on campus (all of them here in DC, and especially those near campuses are always BUSY!) and would be successful year round...something that most of the places on campus really struggle with.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 09:00:32 AM »

Comparing Louie D's and 5 guys would be similar to comparing Steel Reserve with Bud Light, essentially the same product, but a substantial difference in ingredients, taste, and residual effect on stomach after consumption.  And as far as watching the figures of girls on campus, they do offer jr burgers.  Granted all of this is meaningless as I don't believe 5 guys has been franchised in Wisconsin yet.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 09:07:48 AM »

Comparing Louie D's and 5 guys would be similar to comparing Steel Reserve with Bud Light, essentially the same product, but a substantial difference in ingredients, taste, and residual effect on stomach after consumption.  And as far as watching the figures of girls on campus, they do offer jr burgers.  Granted all of this is meaningless as I don't believe 5 guys has been franchised in Wisconsin yet.

really? I was under the impression that Bud Light and Steel Reserve were both awful tasting inferior products.

Also, there is a 5 guys here in Madison... its always packed, yes I have had it, and it wasn't AMAZING.

The way you guys talk, its like the first time you heard the Beatles or something.

Sobelman's is the best place in town, and I'll take their burgers anyday over 5G.

Oh, and Michaels isn't on campus, and its ghetto as hell and has terrible food and service.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 09:24:37 AM »

Also, there is a 5 guys here in Madison... its always packed, yes I have had it, and it wasn't AMAZING.

You are the first person I have ever talked to that wasn't blown away by a 5 guys burger...

There is one in Delafield as well.

jce

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 09:27:57 AM »
The guy who owned Wales lives across the street from me.  I'll ask him. 

At a minimum, he should whip you up some cheese fries.

My typical order: Cheddarburger, fried mushrooms and a strawberry shake.  Probably three times a week.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 09:34:19 AM »
really? I was under the impression that Bud Light and Steel Reserve were both awful tasting inferior products.

The way you guys talk, its like the first time you heard the Beatles or something.

Sobelman's is the best place in town, and I'll take their burgers anyday over 5G.

Oh, and Michaels isn't on campus, and its ghetto as hell and has terrible food and service.

Michaels is on campus and the Marquette Special with a side of biscuits and gravy is fantastic.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 10:07:07 AM »
Michaels is on campus and the Marquette Special with a side of biscuits and gravy is fantastic.

no, its NEAR campus.  23rd street is not Marquette... how far would  you extend Marquette's 'campus'?  The last Marquette owned building on Wisconsin going west is Mashuda Hall, and that is on 20th.

and the food and service are terrible.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 11:44:40 AM »
I haven't been to Michael's.  It does look kind of ghetto.  As far as "on campus", I will agree that it's not on the boundaries of campus.  Though if you're going to go to a dining place for breakfast it's not far away.  I go to the Taco Bell there once in a while (gross Taco Bell food, but very good service).  I'm not sure if you consider 2040 on campus, but a new breakfast place just opened in the building, I'm not sure of what they serve or how good it is though but at least 2040 has been proactive about getting more options near campus.

I will also agree that it would be nice to get something that doesn't serve greaseburgers.  Gyros and Ziggy's have enough grease for everyone, and the Annex serves burgers too.  Though restaurants/schools contribution to people getting fat is a long-going debate throughout the country; I've seen girls get the veggie sub in line at Subway to pretend to eat healthy while loading it up with extra cheese and extra mayo, three cookies, and a large soda.  So restaurant selection isn't everything, though I think giving students healthy eating options should be a consideration when they decide which restaurants to bring to campus.  Besides choosing which of the three sub places you want to get the same sub at there's not a lot of healthy eating, and my liking of A&W doesn't fly health-wise as that's pretty much a DQ with a popular root beer.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 11:50:47 AM »
no, its NEAR campus.  23rd street is not Marquette... how far would  you extend Marquette's 'campus'?  The last Marquette owned building on Wisconsin going west is Mashuda Hall, and that is on 20th.

Since students live in the Patrician Apartments across the street I would call that campus.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 11:57:36 AM »

what do you want, the buffet at the Pfister?  When I'm drunk and hungry at 4 am, I want food.  don't care if it's good, slow, etc. 

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 12:45:39 PM »
what do you want, the buffet at the Pfister?  When I'm drunk and hungry at 4 am, I want food.  don't care if it's good, slow, etc. 

+1

And sometimes you get free entertainment with your meal!  ;)

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 01:09:38 PM »
Healthy food in Milwaukee?!? 

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 01:32:51 PM »
Michaels.

Miss Katie's is pretty solid

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 03:34:59 PM »
Qdoba is no Chipotle, but this place is going to pose a serious challenge to Gyros' late-night dominance if it stays open past midnight.  Good news for drunken students looking for a little variety.  Time for a trip back there to enjoy it all -- when's Buzz's first home game?

G-Webb never stood a chance.  The food was alright, I guess, but it was sloooowwww... even if you were the only person in line, it'd take 10+ minutes for your order.  The food has to be really good to withstand consistent waits like that.

Off topic, I've been abroad way too long.  I'd kill for Gyros, Qdoba, Chipotle, or even the chicken strips from Webb right now.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2008, 03:58:42 PM »
Qdoba is no Chipotle, but this place is going to pose a serious challenge to Gyros' late-night dominance if it stays open past midnight.  Good news for drunken students looking for a little variety.  Time for a trip back there to enjoy it all -- when's Buzz's first home game?

G-Webb never stood a chance.  The food was alright, I guess, but it was sloooowwww... even if you were the only person in line, it'd take 10+ minutes for your order.  The food has to be really good to withstand consistent waits like that.

Off topic, I've been abroad way too long.  I'd kill for Gyros, Qdoba, Chipotle, or even the chicken strips from Webb right now.

I agree, the thing that did suck about GW was the super slow service... but then again, it isn't supposed to be fast food.

and at 4am I usually didn't care what the food tasted like either, usually, but getting me to walk to 23rd st would have been a chore to say the least... We did it a few times, but Gyros and Webb's were always closer... and I didn't feel obligated to tip for crappy service.

and I know students who lived in the Library Hill apartments, but that doesn't mean its campus... I mean, its called 'Off-Campus housing' for a reason, right?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2008, 06:49:45 PM »
no, its NEAR campus.  23rd street is not Marquette...

WH.. WH.. WHAT???!?  As a former Westie, YOU SIR, ARE BANNED!

Schoolyard

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 10:30:12 PM »
While I eat Chipotle 3-4 times a week, neither it nor QDoba is qualified late night food.  Both are too fresh, you need something with some grease...'Bamba, Taco Burrito Express, Allende are tops in Chicago, El Chico Zuma in Milwaukee is decent.  Getting late night eats at Chipotle is like going to Alverno or Mount Mary to Hook-up.  Brutal.

Too bad Webb's is being forced out, they offered MU kids a little bit of culture.
My handle is Schoolyard but I do my best work at Finley Dunnes...Joe Kenny in '08

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2008, 07:57:34 AM »
WH.. WH.. WHAT???!?  As a former Westie, YOU SIR, ARE BANNED!

lol, hey believe what you want, but it is off campus. :)

Chili

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008, 08:40:15 AM »
lol, hey believe what you want, but it is off campus. :)

He is talking about West Hall which is in that neighborhood.  ::)

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2008, 08:43:54 AM »
He is talking about West Hall which is in that neighborhood.  ::)

was...that's now an empty field. West Hall is no more and hasn't been for a while.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2008, 09:52:36 AM »
Getting late night eats at Chipotle is like going to Alverno or Mount Mary to Hook-up.  Brutal.

Classic!   :D
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2008, 12:54:41 PM »
I was critical of campus business back in the thread a few months ago, so I'll say this is a start.  I'll take Qdoba over George Webb any day.  Better place to go after the bar...  

Qdoba will not be open at 2 or 3 am.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2008, 04:23:04 PM »
Qdoba will not be open at 2 or 3 am.

Unless I'm mistaken, Q'Doba on Prospect is open until 3am.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2008, 05:52:15 PM »

Unless I'm mistaken, Q'Doba on Prospect is open until 3am.

I can see it being open til 2 on the weekends for sure. I've been to one in broad ripple in indy and it was open til 4.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2008, 08:08:52 AM »
was...that's now an empty field. West Hall is no more and hasn't been for a while.

+1

exactly my point.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2008, 08:43:45 AM »

I always thought that Jalisco's should open a "Jalisco's Express on MU's campus. They would have made a million dollars. Also, I don't think a Qdoba is a "burrito joint." It's just another "fast casual" restaurant like Baja Express of Chipotle.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2008, 08:47:15 AM »
I haven't been to Michael's.  It does look kind of ghetto.  As far as "on campus", I will agree that it's not on the boundaries of campus.  Though if you're going to go to a dining place for breakfast it's not far away.  I go to the Taco Bell there once in a while (gross Taco Bell food, but very good service).  I'm not sure if you consider 2040 on campus, but a new breakfast place just opened in the building, I'm not sure of what they serve or how good it is though but at least 2040 has been proactive about getting more options near campus.

I will also agree that it would be nice to get something that doesn't serve greaseburgers.  Gyros and Ziggy's have enough grease for everyone, and the Annex serves burgers too.  Though restaurants/schools contribution to people getting fat is a long-going debate throughout the country; I've seen girls get the veggie sub in line at Subway to pretend to eat healthy while loading it up with extra cheese and extra mayo, three cookies, and a large soda.  So restaurant selection isn't everything, though I think giving students healthy eating options should be a consideration when they decide which restaurants to bring to campus.  Besides choosing which of the three sub places you want to get the same sub at there's not a lot of healthy eating, and my liking of A&W doesn't fly health-wise as that's pretty much a DQ with a popular root beer.

How the hell have you attended MU and not gone to Michael's?
We Are Marquette

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2008, 11:32:25 AM »
Ah michaels.. went there a few times in my freshman year while living in O'Donnell.  The night before the holiday break started a floormate and I went there and he, needing to quit the habit before seeing his parents the next day, proceeded to chain smoke an entire pack of cigs while we drank coffee.  It actually worked - he was so sick of them by the time he was done he didn't look at another pack for 2 weeks.  It wasn't a long term solution apparently.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2008, 04:03:46 PM »
I would give my left testicle for sobelmans to put a burger branch in on campus, especially a late night one. As an employee of a campus bar, who is almost always hungry after the bar is closed, I would like to have a better choice than Michaels, GW or OP- really anaything is better than these three. But sobelman's, ahhh a boy can dream.

"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

feedback