[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting  (Read 7007 times)

Fred Garvin

• All American
Recruiting
« on: March 07, 2020, 11:54:16 AM »
They have failed to recruit shooters,only athletes

oldwarrior81

• All American
Re: Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 02:38:18 PM »
I remember reading here a couple years ago that Wojo only recruited shooters.  Needed to target more athletes.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 02:41:38 PM »
I remember reading here a couple years ago that Wojo only recruited shooters.  Needed to target more athletes.
They did. Now the entire program is a mess; hard to point to what is wrong because there are issues everywhere.

curbina

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 02:45:57 PM »
Can a recruit that commits to a program withdraw the commitment?

“You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.”
- Winston S. Churchill

Oregon Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 02:54:02 PM »
Can a recruit that commits to a program withdraw the commitment?

After a recruit has signed a letter of intent, the school has to agree to release the recruit. Schools usually do because nothing positive comes from forcing a recruit to go to a school he doesn’t want to attend.

curbina

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 02:59:25 PM »
After a recruit has signed a letter of intent, the school has to agree to release the recruit. Schools usually do because nothing positive comes from forcing a recruit to go to a school he doesn’t want to attend.

Oregon, thank you for the information!

“You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.”
- Winston S. Churchill

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 03:00:31 PM »
They have failed to recruit shooters,only athletes

Hey dipsh*t, they’re 9th in the country in 3 point percentage, 1st in big east. But yeah, they don’t have shooters. They were 10/21 today and lost. Shooting is not the issue.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 03:04:41 PM »
Shooting is absolutely an issue when it disappears for 10 minute stretches.

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 03:10:38 PM »
Take Marcus out of the picture, and where would they be... oh by the way he gone next year Einstein

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 03:12:21 PM »
Take Marcus out of the picture, and where would they be... oh by the way he gone next year Einstein

We should be really concerned at the PG and SG position next year. What is the plan for those 2 positions next year? Loved Greg’s effort today but the cupboard is pretty bare.

Doo

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 03:22:46 PM »

Kings - you should probably do some research before posting.  Marcus FG% is .422.  MU Team FG% is .430%.  Take Markus (you don’t even spell his name right) out of the equation and the Team FG% goes up to .433%.   Just saying!!!

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 03:26:20 PM »
Kings - you should probably do some research before posting.  Marcus FG% is .422.  MU Team FG% is .430%.  Take Markus (you don’t even spell his name right) out of the equation and the Team FG% goes up to .433%.   Just saying!!!
If you think MU will be better without Markus, you've lost all credibility as a basketball fan.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 03:27:38 PM »

Hey dipsh*t, he’s in the picture, you’re talking about this season. Next season, maybe it’s an issue. We’ll see.

You think maybe Marquette being 280th in the country inside the 3 point line is an issue? No one can finish at the rim and there’s no post presence. So yeah, when you’re a jump shooting team, you’re going to have droughts. But don’t let statistics get in the way of your well constructed argument.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2020, 03:32:50 PM »
Hey dipsh*t, he’s in the picture, you’re talking about this season. Next season, maybe it’s an issue. We’ll see.

You think maybe Marquette being 280th in the country inside the 3 point line is an issue? No one can finish at the rim and there’s no post presence. So yeah, when you’re a jump shooting team, you’re going to have droughts. But don’t let statistics get in the way of your well constructed argument.

This is an awfully long drought. Two years in a row.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2020, 03:34:21 PM »

Just saying!!! You’re a an idiot and these stats are extremely biased, but keep it up.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2020, 03:43:45 PM »
Ok gang, let's remember what's going on for next year:

1) We are recruiting Mr. Mane from Quebec. Should he elect to come here, we have a strong, driving guard who can address some of the concerns this year.

2) I fully expect Dawson Garcia to start next year. We'll have some rough moments with him, to be sure, but he is a significant upgrade from Brendan Bailey's performance down the stretch.

3) If everything about Oso holds up, he will be pushing Bailey for time on the other point next year.

4) I see nothing that will keep Symir out of the line-up, so long as he can learn some defense.

5) If Koby shows some improvement, we'll have depth. I saw what he could be against Purdue and saw what he has been as of late, so I remain to be convinced.

I'm a little more optimistic for next year because we don't have a "shooting legend" like Markus, Carlino or Rowsey coming in, yet. COnsequently, to win the offense will HAVE to change. Our guys will have to be more distributed. I think the world of Markus and he's a great guy, but too much of the team stands around when he is hot and lets him do it. Today, the last play of the game, it is like everyone got out of the way to let Markus do his thing. There was nobody to kick out to and no one who seemed to have confidence. THAT HAS TO CHANGE!!!!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2020, 03:45:37 PM »
Ok gang, let's remember what's going on for next year:

1) We are recruiting Mr. Mane from Quebec. Should he elect to come here, we have a strong, driving guard who can address some of the concerns this year.

2) I fully expect Dawson Garcia to start next year. We'll have some rough moments with him, to be sure, but he is a significant upgrade from Brendan Bailey's performance down the stretch.

3) If everything about Oso holds up, he will be pushing Bailey for time on the other point next year.

4) I see nothing that will keep Symir out of the line-up, so long as he can learn some defense.

5) If Koby shows some improvement, we'll have depth. I saw what he could be against Purdue and saw what he has been as of late, so I remain to be convinced.

I'm a little more optimistic for next year because we don't have a "shooting legend" like Markus, Carlino or Rowsey coming in, yet. COnsequently, to win the offense will HAVE to change. Our guys will have to be more distributed. I think the world of Markus and he's a great guy, but too much of the team stands around when he is hot and lets him do it. Today, the last play of the game, it is like everyone got out of the way to let Markus do his thing. There was nobody to kick out to and no one who seemed to have confidence. THAT HAS TO CHANGE!!!!

Don’t be reasonable.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2020, 03:56:27 PM »
Everyone talks of Oso next year, but never about Justin Lewis.  Lewis plays on a Top 20 high school team in the country.  This is an inner city league in Baltimore, not a suburb school with limited competition.  Baltimore Poly has traveled and played in various tournaments across the east coast and beat IMG Academy, all with Lewis being an absolute stud.  They also won their state title three years in a row.  I believe Lewis is ranked higher in the 2020 rankings and was a member of the Under 17 Team USA. 

As of next year, who knows but there will be players pushing for playing time at the three spot, the four is basically set to Garcia.  Cain received a bunch of minutes today and Bailey is very inconsistent. 

Cain, Bailey, Garcia, Lewis and Oso will divide the minutes.  Someone will have to back up Garcia and someone starts at th three. 

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2020, 03:57:12 PM »
Your comments are really good, except Koby belongs on the pine as much as possible next year. Yes I hope he improves but for sure he can not be the point next year, not quick or explosive type player

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2020, 04:02:57 PM »
Everyone talks of Oso next year, but never about Justin Lewis.  Lewis plays on a Top 20 high school team in the country.  This is an inner city league in Baltimore, not a suburb school with limited competition.  Baltimore Poly has traveled and played in various tournaments across the east coast and beat IMG Academy, all with Lewis being an absolute stud.  They also won their state title three years in a row.  I believe Lewis is ranked higher in the 2020 rankings and was a member of the Under 17 Team USA. 

As of next year, who knows but there will be players pushing for playing time at the three spot, the four is basically set to Garcia.  Cain received a bunch of minutes today and Bailey is very inconsistent. 

Cain, Bailey, Garcia, Lewis and Oso will divide the minutes.  Someone will have to back up Garcia and someone starts at th three.

I agree about Lewis, I can see all 3 frost starting next year as I am not in love with Theo as a back to the basket player with no real offensive skills. Time to start playing with the lane open. Just need a point who can can pass without turning the ball over.

Doo

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2020, 04:09:55 PM »
Just saying!!! You’re a an idiot and these stats are extremely biased, but keep it up.
“Biased”  statistical facts?  Interesting concept.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2020, 04:10:37 PM »
Your comments are really good, except Koby belongs on the pine as much as possible next year. Yes I hope he improves but for sure he can not be the point next year, not quick or explosive type player

I would not want him back and would tell him that.  He’s not at the level needed if you’re serious about contending in this league.  It hasn’t worked, thanks for your efforts Koby and hope you land at a place where you can succeed.

Plug should have been pulled long ago on his playing time. 

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2020, 04:15:34 PM »
Koby deserves serious pine time to finish out the year but I expect major improvement out of him next year but he is not a point guard.  We will have the length next year but we need a point guard and shooters.  Not having those next year will make for a very long year.  Best hope is to recruit a shooter or point guard for next year and then get a grad transfer for the other spot.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2020, 04:16:47 PM »
Koby deserves serious pine time to finish out the year but I expect major improvement out of him next year but he is not a point guard.  We will have the length next year but we need a point guard and shooters.  Not having those next year will make for a very long year.  Best hope is to recruit a shooter or point guard for next year and then get a grad transfer for the other spot.

You have hope for major improvement out of him next year based on what???

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2020, 04:26:43 PM »
You have hope for major improvement out of him next year based on what???

I do think he is pressing hard and has only gotten worse as the season has gone along.  I think he is not a current fit for what Wojo has out there with his lineups and current offensive system.  He is not a point guard.  He should not initiate the offense.  Him and Marcus have not gelled but he does have skill.  Play him in Anim's spot next year and he will be more comfortable.  Another year older, another year working on getting better.  I believe he will play better next year.